Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:42:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews  (Read 26065 times)
Ardent
Terracotta Army

on: November 15, 2004, 10:40:43 PM

Gamespot: 9.2

"When you combine the strong single-player campaign of Half-Life 2 with the popular online play of Counter-Strike, the result is one of the most complete and compelling first-person shooter packages available. While Half-Life 2 breaks little new ground, it's still a superb and engaging first-person shooter, as well as an amazing technological accomplishment."

Summary: Tons of fun, amazing graphics, disappointing story.

IGN: 9.7

"Half-Life 2 doesn't do anything particularly new; it doesn't really innovate in many ways. But what it does is set a new height for all other designers of first-person shooters to reach. It still isn't exactly perfect, but it's about as close as I've seen in my tenure here."

Summary: How do you get spooge off a monitor?

Um, never mind.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2004, 10:41:49 PM

Quote from: Ardent
Gamespot: 9.2

"When you combine the strong single-player campaign of Half-Life 2 with the popular online play of Counter-Strike, the result is one of the most complete and compelling first-person shooter packages available. While Half-Life 2 breaks little new ground, it's still a superb and engaging first-person shooter, as well as an amazing technological accomplishment."

Summary: Tons of fun, amazing graphics, disappointing story.

IGN: 9.7

"Half-Life 2 doesn't do anything particularly new; it doesn't really innovate in many ways. But what it does is set a new height for all other designers of first-person shooters to reach. It still isn't exactly perfect, but it's about as close as I've seen in my tenure here."

Summary: How do you get spooge off a monitor?

Doesn't this unlock tonight?
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 10:44:38 PM

1 hour.
Comstar
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 04:01:08 AM

The gamespot review was pretty underwealming actually. I'll wait a bit for some reviews from someone who wasn't a screaming fanboy beforehand.

If it IS worth getting, I'd need a new PC to run it anyway, so I have plenty of time to wait.

Defending the Galaxy, from the Scum of the Universe, with nothing but a flashlight and a tshirt. We need tanks Boo, lots of tanks!
Kenrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2004, 06:59:13 AM

I'd really like to be playing this game right now.

Unfortunately I was an idiot and blew my personal monthly gaming budget on Evershit 2.  Hmm... Does Santa make early deliveries?
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2004, 07:17:40 AM

What I want to know is where are these mythical gaming stores that are open at midnight to sell new releases like halo 2, halflife 2 etc. Certainly not in the Northeast. Rocked up at an EB today as it was due to open (9am) and the guy was just getting there to unlock the store. He gave me a look of contempt and told me to come back in a cpl of hours when hes had 'time to get setup'. I told him that I would go to gamespot (not that they were open either.:P).

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
schild
Administrator

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 07:45:59 AM

I am _enjoying_ half life 2. It is very good. It is not as good as deus ex, a little better than Farcry, and nowhere near as bad as Doom 3. I will play through it and then play through Half-Life: Source. Though everything will be put on hold to play Vampire: Bloodlines as soon as I can pick it up.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 08:12:55 AM

What settings are you running on schild and on what specs? Any problems with stutters etc?

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 08:44:39 AM

Quote from: schild
I am _enjoying_ half life 2. It is very good. It is not as good as deus ex, a little better than Farcry, and nowhere near as bad as Doom 3. I will play through it and then play through Half-Life: Source. Though everything will be put on hold to play Vampire: Bloodlines as soon as I can pick it up.

Bloodlines... mmmmm

Can't wait to get home from work to try out HL2 though. Should be fun.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004, 10:45:49 AM

Comments after a couple of hours...

Graphics are excellent throughout.
Game feels very much like playing on rails, almost to the point of being a tech demo.
Runs well enough on my AMD1900/GF4400Ti/768Mb of fun, occasional slowdown, but the defaults are set to high.
Loading message is slightly too regular and beginning to annoy.
Steam is bloody slow at starting games up.
Physics are nice. Puzzle solving does feel a bit less like simply taking abstarct elements and combining at random as a result.
No set piece has included anything I haven't seen before (in HL1) as yet, though they are all very well done.
Atmosphere is great.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: November 16, 2004, 10:47:30 AM

Looking forward to the creations of the HL2 mod community.  Doom3 engine was pretty gimped from the start with the poor multiplayer code and an engine that is questionable in wide open spaces... has anyone made a wide open style level for doom3?  Hell, maybe it was in the original game.  I got too bored to finish it.
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: November 16, 2004, 10:51:21 AM

Walmart sold Halo2 and Half-Life2 at midnight.  The clerks were less aware of Half-Life2, and there was no midnight crowd gathered like there was for Halo2.

I played the leaked release a year ago and it ran extremely well on my Athlon 2200+/GeForce 4 4200.  Now, there is alot more eyecandy.  I run Athlon 2200+/Geforce 5900, and I get more machine lag then I would like.  The good news is that it is only are areas that the game loads upcoming material(not the "Loading" screens itself).  I run 1gig of Corsair RAM, but a 7200RPM Maxtor HD.  Easily playable still.  By no means a beast of a game to run.  All settings on high, at 1024x768, no anti-aliasing.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
schild
Administrator

Reply #12 on: November 16, 2004, 11:01:30 AM

Runs decently. Particularly if you have the full steam nocd install.

On another note: We've had 1/3 the number of posts today because HL2, MGS3, and Bloodlines are out. Oh and Metroid Prime 2 for you Nintendo kiddies. Read f13 more damnit! :)
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: November 16, 2004, 11:05:28 AM

Nothing to read cause no ones posting...and Im stuck at work for another 3 hours + 3 hours of 'family' time (read keeping the wife and child happy) until I can play.

damnit.

Oh yeah and talk about skimpy on the box cntents, nothning but 5 cds in paper sleeves and a 2 sided reference card. Blah.

Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 11:06:28 AM

Runs decently. Particularly if you have the full steam nocd install.

On another note: We've had 1/3 the number of posts today because HL2, MGS3, and Bloodlines are out. Oh and Metroid Prime 2 for you Nintendo kiddies. Read f13 more damnit! :)

Got Bloodlines, woo! Now... if this damn workday would only end. Hmm, which to try first, HL2 or Bloodlines?

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Ardent
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: November 16, 2004, 11:07:44 AM

Read f13 more damnit! :)

Bloodlines review plz.

Um, never mind.
Liquidator
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: November 16, 2004, 11:22:07 AM

I'm eager to hear how Bloodlines turned out.  The game has held my interest  during development, but the recent screenshots and videos that I watched have looked rather dull.

Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2004, 11:50:26 AM

Answer: Steam.

Excuse me, I'd like to be able to play something I have spent a considerable amount of money on.

WTF?! I'd have loved to have given a review for this game but, as it stands, I've spent over an hour installing and "creating an account" just to be able to play a non-MMOG.  I can't wait 'til the German H4x0rz get a patch out for this hostile-toward-customers internet requirement.

I've spent less time downloading/installing WoW...and that's still in its Beta stage!

Here's to the downfall of the industry and to the politics/greed that ass-ramed those who still cared about it.

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2004, 11:51:57 AM

So you cannot play HL2 at all due to that error? How about if one buys a box version of the game?

I have never played WoW.
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: November 16, 2004, 11:57:23 AM

Quote from: shiznitz
So you cannot play HL2 at all due to that error? How about if one buys a box version of the game?

This IS the retail *boxed* version of the game! :(

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: November 16, 2004, 12:00:07 PM

You still have to create a steam account and verify your cd key online.
Yaynot.

Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: November 16, 2004, 12:02:57 PM

Mandatory "authentication" for a single-player game is just...wrong in so many ways.  I wonder is Valve and M$ swapped stories during their sleepovers at the Neverland Ranch?

Here's what I've been staring at for the past 2 hours:
http://www.resvrgam.com/files/invasive.jpg

Now I have to get to work and spend the next 8-12 hours thinking over the waste of cash I just blew on a SOE-esque single-player experience :(

How many instances of "steam" can you locate in this picture?  I've had viruses with less invasive qualities.

schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: November 16, 2004, 12:12:27 PM

Jesus Christ. Change that desktop theme, whore. That start menu looks like something out of the Big Book of Furry loving Elves. Or WoW. Whichever. Bleh.

Edit: Oh, and yea, a bunch of people here at work are staring at that. Man am I glad I bought it off steam.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #23 on: November 16, 2004, 12:22:42 PM

I get kind of giddy seeing all the people who refused to buy over Steam because a box is more "foolproof" or something get screwed while us early adopters get to start playing right away.  Mmmm... schadenfraude....

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Ezdaar
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: November 16, 2004, 12:26:05 PM

So those of you who have played it a bit, is HL2 indeed the second coming of baby robot jesus?

I'm on the fence about getting it. I have heard the last levels are in Xen and the ending is underwhelming.
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: November 16, 2004, 12:26:22 PM

Quote from: Samwise
I get kind of giddy seeing all the people who refused to buy over Steam because a box is more "foolproof" or something get screwed while us early adopters get to start playing right away.  Mmmm... schadenfraude....

Your compassion is very comforting.

I hope Karma isn't something you believe in :P

Raph
Developers

Title delayed while we "find the fun."

Reply #26 on: November 16, 2004, 12:48:24 PM

Well, mine crashes right after I select "New Game." I didn't really have many problems with Steam, though.

I suspect Steam and things like it are the future--cuts down on piracy, and allows developers to cut publishers out of the loop and make more money directly.
pants
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: November 16, 2004, 12:58:01 PM

Downloading from Steam doesn't stop you from having to connect to Steam every time you want to start HL2.  My ISP was down for a couple of hours last night, and I couldn't play HL2, even though I had previously connected and unlocked and all that malarkey.  Decidedly unimpressed with that - I expect it will be cracked in a day or two though.

Having said that - the game itself is beautiful from the 30-40 minutes I mucked around this morning.  And ran fine on an Athlon 2600, Radeon 9700Pro and 1 Gig ram.  1024x768, all video details high, no AF or AA though.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #28 on: November 16, 2004, 01:44:56 PM

Quote from: Resvrgam
Quote from: Samwise

Your compassion is very comforting.

I hope Karma isn't something you believe in :P

I preached the wisdom of pre-loading as much as I could, hence my conscience is clean.  :D

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #29 on: November 16, 2004, 02:19:12 PM

Quote from: Ezdaar
So those of you who have played it a bit, is HL2 indeed the second coming of baby robot jesus?

I'm on the fence about getting it. I have heard the last levels are in Xen and the ending is underwhelming.

It's not the second coming of Jesus.

It is very very very fun.  Especially when you get the grav gun.

I love how they recycled a bunch of the sounds.  Others might not.  It's comforting for me.

Edit: Steam works perfect for me.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: November 16, 2004, 02:29:51 PM

OK, been playing it for a couple of hours.  Got to the 'swift boat' bit and then it crashed and bombed me out.

NOW I CAN'T FUCKING START IT AGAIN BECAUSE STEAM IS FUCKED BEYOND ALL RECOGNITION.

THIS SUCKS.  THIS IS THE WORST IMPLEMENTATION OF SHITE I HAVE EVER WITNESSED.

REALLY SORRY TO SIT ON THE FENCE LIKE THIS BUT IT'S HORSESHIT AND I HOPE SOMEONE IS FLOGGED UNTIL THEIR RIBS SHOW FOR THIS CRAP.

The game itself is great.

Edit - I don't give a flying fuck who it works perfectly for.  It's fucked for me.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Shockeye
Staff Emeritus

Skinny-dippin' in a sea of Lee, I'd propose on bended knee...

Reply #31 on: November 16, 2004, 02:54:01 PM

Quote from: pants
Decidedly unimpressed with that - I expect it will be cracked in a day or two though.

isonews is listing this today

According to the "release" it says their crack emulates steam.
Zetleft
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: November 16, 2004, 02:57:46 PM

I may have to download that, I can no longer log onto steam it seems.  Played CS source yesterday afternoon and today my account doesn't accept my username/password.  I am very pissed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: November 16, 2004, 03:06:53 PM

Quote from: Resvrgam
Here's what I've been staring at for the past 2 hours:
http://www.resvrgam.com/files/invasive.jpg

Why, amongst only 6 other icons, do you keep a jpg of a steaming turd on your desktop?

That is really quite strange.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 16, 2004, 03:22:02 PM

Quote from: Raph
Well, mine crashes right after I select "New Game." I didn't really have many problems with Steam, though.

I suspect Steam and things like it are the future--cuts down on piracy, and allows developers to cut publishers out of the loop and make more money directly.

Well, as I've posted elsewhere - I've put my money down and I have a non-functioning TURD.  I will be pirating this thing first thing tomorrow so I can actually play what I paid for.

As a developer, you really ought to take note.

Don't ever do this.  It's bad enough you made SWG.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews  
Jump to: