Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:16:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews  (Read 25935 times)
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Out of the frying pan, into the fire.

Reply #70 on: November 18, 2004, 02:22:42 PM

Quote from: Morphiend
If thats for my system specs. It wasnt that expensive.

I spent like $600 for the system with 1gb RAM. Upgraded to two gigs for another $100 (I made sure I got a mobo with lots of slots for ram).

I got the GF card for a gift, but I was in the proccess of saving up for it anyway. Put away $100 a month, no biggy.

Ha.  I'm looking at about the same price, but I get no gifts of electronics.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #71 on: November 18, 2004, 02:28:44 PM

Well, I work a lot, and dont have that many expenses, so its not to hard for me to save up for a few months. Just have to bring lunch to work and im all good.

/hijack
WayAbvPar

Reply #72 on: November 18, 2004, 03:17:37 PM

Quote from: Rasix

I spent like $600 for the system with 1gb RAM. Upgraded to two gigs for another $100 (I made sure I got a mobo with lots of slots for ram).

I got the GF card for a gift, but I was in the proccess of saving up for it anyway. Put away $100 a month, no biggy.

Ohh, if only it where that easy.  I could take a picture of this month's credit card bill to show you, but I'm not one to subject people to random acts of horror (god, I spent 600 dollars on a vacuum this month).

My buddy's fiancee spent 2 grand on a fucking vacuum. And now they spend $150 a week to have a maid come in. And they are broke.

People are fucking stupid.

I am leaning toward an Antec case, Seagate or Maxtor HDD ~160 gb, Samsung DVD RW (probably 12x), GF6600 (I might crazy and buy the 6800), and probably a gig of RAM. I know exactly dick about motherboards, but if I can find one that has a decent onboard sound setup I am all over it.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #73 on: November 18, 2004, 03:24:10 PM

Quote from: WayAbvPar

Ohh, if only it where that easy.  I could take a picture of this month's credit card bill to show you, but I'm not one to subject people to random acts of horror (god, I spent 600 dollars on a vacuum this month).

My buddy's fiancee spent 2 grand on a fucking vacuum. And now they spend $150 a week to have a maid come in. And they are broke.

I am leaning toward an Antec case, Seagate or Maxtor HDD ~160 gb, Samsung DVD RW (probably 12x), GF6600 (I might crazy and buy the 6800), and probably a gig of RAM. I know exactly dick about motherboards, but if I can find one that has a decent onboard sound setup I am all over it.

WRONG THREAD!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: November 18, 2004, 04:08:05 PM

Well, I took out my old Soundblaster Live (96 or 97 version) and used my Motherboard's onboard audio. It still stutters but much less. It went from stuttering every 5 minutes, and usually twice during talks with NPCs to about every 10 minutes and only once during talks with NPCs. Vampire has the same problem but not as bad.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
WayAbvPar

Reply #75 on: November 18, 2004, 04:46:50 PM

Quote from: MrHat
Quote from: WayAbvPar

WRONG THREAD!

Heh. That is what I get for having multiple windows open.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: November 19, 2004, 01:54:56 AM

Completed it.

Not more than about a day's play all told.

Sucks.

Graphically and 'enginely' a really nice piece of software.

But right now I feel exactly as I did when I came out of Matrix:Reloaded.

Yeah, that bad.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #77 on: November 19, 2004, 02:20:12 AM

Took me three days and I enjoyed it.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #78 on: November 19, 2004, 04:50:53 AM

I'm still playing it. Don't fucking ruin it for me.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: November 19, 2004, 09:06:05 AM

Crap, the game must be close to over for me then, and this current position in the game has me very annoyed.  I don't know if this is a spoiler or not, but it might be if you are hyper-spoiler-sensative:

I'm in the city.  Its bugging the hell out of me.  I hate my squad.  I just want to get back on my buggy and keep hauling ass around the countryside.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #80 on: November 19, 2004, 09:33:38 AM

The buggy pisses me off.  I miss my boat.  The one that never got flipped over.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #81 on: November 19, 2004, 10:15:03 AM

Yeah the boat was good too.  But I kinda liked flipping my buggy over...especially in antlion territory.  Made it intense.  Or something.
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: November 19, 2004, 10:29:54 AM

You have a squad? Boats?

Looks like I might be playing this one for a bit longer. Which isn't bad.  I was afraid I would finish this game too soon. I never even thought of breaking open any crates! I thought they were just there to make steps.

I'm riding the gamers short-bus and I still can't see out the frickin window.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #83 on: November 19, 2004, 03:40:05 PM

Ok, the heap of crap known has steam just patched itself.

Result: HL2 won't start anymore.

Fucking wonderful.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
SirBruce
Terracotta Army

Reply #84 on: November 19, 2004, 04:08:42 PM

Face it:  Doom 3 > Half-Life 2.

And that's not saying much.

Bruce
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: November 19, 2004, 04:17:15 PM

Quote from: SirBruce

Bruce

Ouch.  I disagree.  

I think Half-Life 2 is a superior game but the bureaucratic bullshit needed to endure just to play it is a little off-putting IMO.   I got bored with Doom 3 after the fun-house effect lost its appeal and I noticed the conveyor-belt I was on...was way too blatant in Doom 3 vs. HL2 (again, IMO).

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #86 on: November 19, 2004, 05:11:19 PM

Bruce

Are you fucking serious?

I could barely force myself to finish Doom 3, and I ended up cheating so I could get through some areas quicker. I sat down and played HL2 all the way through legit, despite dying over and over in a few parts.

Outside of the ending the whole game was better than I expected it to be, and I expected it to be really fucking awesome.

And this is with a lot of the stuff I thought was cool from the early videos being removed (i.e. some of the weapons, the "hydra", etc).

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #87 on: November 19, 2004, 06:02:53 PM

Bruce

Please dont feed the troll.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: November 20, 2004, 03:28:23 AM

Quote from: Resvrgam

Bruce

Ouch.  I disagree.  

I think Half-Life 2 is a superior game but the bureaucratic bullshit needed to endure just to play it is a little off-putting IMO.   I got bored with Doom 3 after the fun-house effect lost its appeal and I noticed the conveyor-belt I was on...was way too blatant in Doom 3 vs. HL2 (again, IMO).

This sums up my position on the matter too.

It's a good game, for what it's worth;  but the trouble is that it's in no way what we were expecting.  The story is, well, cliched and absurdly awful.  There's far too much 'figure this one out yourself' and far, far too many bad game cliches in there :  I mean, how many times can rocks actually fall and seperate you from any help so that you're a 'man on your own, on the edge, ready for vengeance' or whatever shitty tagline they would ascribe to it.

The whole thing doesn't make any sense and I kinda expected the 'G-Man' to start spouting off about how you're the one and 'you already know the answer to the question you were going to ask five minutes ago when I asked you who was the oracle'.  We've done the Matrix guys :  give us a fucking proper story or at least have Gordon wake up at the end in the fucking shower with Bobby Ewing.

Bad, bad, bad.

Apart from that, the technology is really good, the graphics are stunning and, apart from the occassional audio stutter which looks to be a problem of the Audigy cards, it runs sweet as a nut on my machine.

And then there's Steam.  Which is patching right now.  Don't get me fucking started on Steam.  If this is the fucking future, I'm going to be one of the guys throwing my fucking wooden shoes into the machines.

Fuck Steam.  In, as Haemish would say, it's fucking ass.

Anyway, I digress.

From my life.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #89 on: November 20, 2004, 04:41:12 AM

Rrgarding Steam, the problem isn't really with the concept - the problem is that the implementation is a bug ridden inflexible piece of ass. And that in all likely implementations for the foreseeable future, bug ridden inflexible pieces of ass are inevitable.

For me the depressing thing about 'teh future' isn't just that something-like-steam might be how people do things, it's that...

1)  The dominant delivery services will be selected by market power of the publishers who they are tied to, rather then by the quality of the system itself. Most likely resulting in bug ridden pieces of ass.

2) The design focus of aforementioned large publishers will be on anti-piracy measures, which will proceed to make life hell for casual PC gamers who don't find colourful ways to avoid the nonsense, and which will not affect actual piracy in any way.

I don't look forward to a world where 3rd party patches are necessary to circumvent ineffective but inconvienient anti-piracy measures such as steam.

HL2 itself remains great in every way apart from the story line however.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #90 on: November 20, 2004, 10:59:09 AM

Quote from: eldaec
Regarding Steam....

I dont think the gamer population has any one to blame but our selves. If piracy was viewed differenty (IE not acceptible) then we might not have come to this point, but the huge warez community, and the fact that so many people are willing to steal software on a regular basis, well, Valve has the right to try and protect their software.

Look at the last large FPS release, Doom 3. I think at least 40% of the people here who played it, warez it.

Now, im not trying to be high and mighty or say I dont warez software, just that I cannot blame Valve in any shape or form for trying to actually get the monty for their game. I have had not a single problem with Steam ether, so maybe im a bit less bitter than some of you.

I think we brought it on ourselves, so I wont piss and moan about it. I agree with Raph, I think we are looking at the future of copyright protection. Then again, maybe it will be cracked tomorrow (or was yesterday), what do I really know.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #91 on: November 20, 2004, 11:05:32 AM

Then again, maybe it will be cracked tomorrow (or was yesterday), what do I really know.

Before yesterday, actually.  The pain in the ass you're all enduring?  Yeah, you're the only ones suffering, because the people who crack their game don't have to put up with Steam.

ETA:  Just wanted to add that I buy games left, right, and center.  About the only time I pirate a game is if they haven't released a demo.  If I consider it worth it, then yep, I'll buy the game.  I'm single with no kids, so basically I'm made of disposable income.  Steam, or some other shitty activation scheme?  Fuck you, I'll automatically pirate it.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #92 on: November 20, 2004, 11:21:10 AM

Regarding Steam....

I dont think the gamer population has any one to blame but our selves. If piracy was viewed differenty (IE not acceptible) then we might not have come to this point,

If steam was any more effective than 'cd-must-be-in-drive' code, then I'd agree with you.

But the key point is that it is no such thing. Steam type anti-piracy measures are exactly as hard to circumvent as cd-in-drive code.

And I don't really see how any protection scheme on a single player game where the game runs and content is stored entirely on the client can ever logically ever be any more effective than a cd-in-drive check on startup.

In fact, by driving legal owners toward certain websites due to crappy implementation Valve might even cause a small increase in piracy.

Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #93 on: November 20, 2004, 01:19:45 PM

Regarding Steam....

I dont think the gamer population has any one to blame but our selves. If piracy was viewed differenty (IE not acceptible) then we might not have come to this point, but the huge warez community, and the fact that so many people are willing to steal software on a regular basis, well, Valve has the right to try and protect their software.

Initially, I may have agreed with you...but: the gaming industry grossed more money than the over-paid film industry last year so I doubt pirating is as detrimental as the industry leads us to believe.

Bottom line: it's about greed and the only people winning in this political bullshit are the bloated, overpaid, completely useless higher-ups in these companies who don't even share their wealth with the people who make these games (the grunts who endure the 90-hour work weeks and hectic dev cycles).

greed for teh win.

"In olden times, people studied to improve themselves. Today, they only study to impress others." - Confucius
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #94 on: November 20, 2004, 03:37:12 PM

Quote from: Resvrgam
the bloated, overpaid, completely useless higher-ups in these companies who don't even share their wealth with the people who make these games (the grunts who endure the 90-hour work weeks and hectic dev cycles).

Fight the power, maaaaan!  Seriously, if you think you're being overworked and underpaid then fucking quit.  The reason people work in the gaming industry is because they want to, and therefore they have less negotiating leverage than any employee in some other (unsexy, uncool) area of software development.

Furthermore, EA, Vivendi, whoever, has no responsibility to get their employees wealthy.  Their responsibility starts and ends with ensuring that their shareholders (y'know, the folks who invest the capital to even get these games made) see a return on their investment.  If you don't agree with that, well, then you're not a capitalist.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #95 on: November 20, 2004, 03:55:02 PM

Personally I totally understand the fight against piracy. The only problem is that all these ways to safeguard against pirates only succeed in cutting down on the casual pirate. The guy who burns copies and gives it to his friends.

Who do I go to when I legitimately buy a game and it doesn't work because securerom jacks with my cd drive? The pirates. I don't make a habit of pirating, I feel guilty as hell when I do it and tend to look down on my coworkers who do it regularly. But if I buy a game and the anti-piracy protection makes it unplayable for me you can bet I find a crack as soon as possible.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #96 on: November 20, 2004, 04:30:26 PM

Quote from: Riggswolfe
But if I buy a game and the anti-piracy protection makes it unplayable for me you can bet I find a crack as soon as possible.

I crack all my games, if only for the fact that having to dig up a CD every time chaps my ass.
MrHat
Terracotta Army

Reply #97 on: November 20, 2004, 07:59:01 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp

I crack all my games, if only for the fact that having to dig up a CD every time chaps my ass.

I actually find that I play games that I don't have to put a CD in for alot more than those that require a CD.

Probably why I don't play as much XBox as I'd like.

I'm such a lazy fucker.
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #98 on: November 20, 2004, 08:10:07 PM

I do appreciate the fact that HL2 doesn't require a CD to be in the drive.  Seems like every other game I've bought recently won't start without a CD.

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
WonderBrick
Terracotta Army

Reply #99 on: November 20, 2004, 09:22:52 PM

I still have not yet finished Half-Life 2 yet, but I have some initial comments to make about what I am experiencing.

First, the game is great.  But I do have some issues.

The level designs are very linear.  Half-life 1 had linear levels, as do many FPSs, but often this linear design is hidden by a few occasional paths, and "open rooms" that allow for occasional non-linear gameplay for a brief moment.  Infact, in HL2 some areas, the linear approach gets downright ridiculous.  Some of the blocked off passages, fallen debris, or path through a challenge comes accross as forcing me into finding a nifty solution, instead of truely letting me find that passage as a fun alternate route.  It feels like an attempt to intentionally show me the cool thoughts put into the game.  I would have rather stumbled accross some of these on my own.   HL2 appears to take a much tighter linear/rail approach then I would have expected it to.

The AI.  While not remotely dumb as shit, it has not yet shown me anything I am impressed with.  Enemies still come right at me.  They don't get snagged on landscape, but they do not do anything that remind me of the soldier-AI in HL1.

One moment the game is teaching me how to stack boxes to get past areas, and the next moment I stack boxes to get to a ledge, and an invisible barrier prevents me from getting there, because it is evidently not an intended area they want me to get to.  I understand they might not want me to get to unintended areas, but don't taunt me with some areas that appear like I can easily get to them(and might have to to get past that area).  Atleast craft the levels in such a way that does not taunt me by giving me the impression of creative access to areas.  Especially in a game that sometimes wants the player to be creative.

Dis-jointed chapters.  I love the variety of areas that HL2 is running me through.  But it is also a curse.  Areas seems more like gimmicks then any coherent flow of the story.  I do love the variety, though.

Outside of the game, the CD install, authentication, and file unpacking took far to long.  Ontop of that, it is insulting to have to have a CD-drive check ontop of the Internet authentication.  I am also wondering why I cannot buy Half-life: Source as a @$10 addon to the retail box I bought.  Steam originally rejected my credit card purchase, even though I use that card to pay all my other bills.  So I had to buy a retail copy, and, by default, missed the opportunity to get HL1: Source.

"Please dont confuse roleplaying with rollplaying. Thanks."   -Shannow

"Just cuz most MMO use the leveling treadmill doesn't mean I have to lower my "fun standards" to the common acceptance. Simply put, I'm not gonna do that."  -I flyin high
Alluvian
Terracotta Army

Reply #100 on: November 20, 2004, 10:33:56 PM

Quote from: Samwise
I do appreciate the fact that HL2 doesn't require a CD to be in the drive.  Seems like every other game I've bought recently won't start without a CD.

The retail DOES require a cd in the drive.  I can't play it without.  And to your statements that the steam related first day/week problems were due to people buying retail you are woefully misinformed.  The spread of retail and steam preload people that are having problems is about even.

As far as hl2?  Didnt add much?  Depends on what you mean.  They added a lot to the first halflife.  vehicles you can control that are a HUGE part of the game, controllable squads, etc...  I guess they had squads in opposing force but something about that game pissed me off.

Right now HL2 is the best fps I have ever played.  Nothing else really even comes close.  So far I am only about (guessing) halfway through the buggy level but I have loved every moment so far.  Best implementation of physics in a game yet.  Beats farcry which had my vote for that title prior to hl2.  I have not played the vampire bloodlines game yet, that could change things.
schild
Administrator

Reply #101 on: November 20, 2004, 10:35:21 PM

Deus Ex. Bloodlines is close. Half-life 2 is third.
Resvrgam
Terracotta Army

Reply #102 on: November 20, 2004, 10:57:22 PM

Quote from: Big Gulp

Fight the power, maaaaan!  Seriously, if you think you're being overworked and underpaid then fucking quit.  The reason people work in the gaming industry is because they want to, and therefore they have less negotiating leverage than any employee in some other (unsexy, uncool) area of software development.

Furthermore, EA, Vivendi, whoever, has no responsibility to get their employees wealthy.  Their responsibility starts and ends with ensuring that their shareholders (y'know, the folks who invest the capital to even get these games made) see a return on their investment.  If you don't agree with that, well, then you're not a capitalist.

I was referring to ALL corporate structures in regards to the bloated, over-paid, useless higher-ups...not just game companies.

Game companies are designed to work their underlings harshly and exhaust them quickly (so as to keep them jumping from company to company).  Anyone in the industry knows this.  It's easier to manage a bunch of pixel-pushers who lack seniority and desperately need that paycheck than it is to push around someone who has clout. :P
People hoping to have a long-lasting job in that industry are delluding themselves (unless they're already in before the 1998 cut-off or related to the boss).

Anyways, I think this discussion would probably be better suited in another thread.

/back to the regularly scheduled Half-Life 2 thread :)

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #103 on: November 20, 2004, 11:14:13 PM

Just beat it.  The first half was alot better than the second, but its still on par with half-life 1 in my eyes.  Great game and worth the money, even if it seemed like they needed another half an hour at the end there.  Now time to get around to playing Deus Ex, and apparently Bloodlines as well?
Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #104 on: November 20, 2004, 11:35:25 PM

Quote from: Alluvian
Quote from: Samwise

The retail DOES require a cd in the drive.  I can't play it without.

<nelson>Haw haw!</nelson>

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Half Life 2 Reviews  
Jump to: