Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:17:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  (Read 52454 times)
MahrinSkel
Terracotta Army

When she crossed over, she was just a ship. But when she came back... she was bullshit!

Reply #210 on: January 19, 2012, 05:59:57 PM

Not a good time for Lucas to get snotty with "Red Tails" coming out tomorrow.
Red Tails is currently sitting at 35% on rotten tomatoes.  Poor Tuskegee Airmen.  If only somebody, ANYBODY, else had decided to take on the movie about them.
The HBO version from the 90's (the one with Laurence Fishburne) was pretty good.

--Dave

--Signature Unclear
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #211 on: January 20, 2012, 04:47:04 AM

And of course, the message that fails to penetrate into Lucas's skull is that there are millions of people who still want to see the Star Wars stuff...just not by him.  Why can't he just sit back and let others do the work while he collects a check?  That's a rhetorical question.

I mean, really, get some of the Bioware writers and Blur together and let them have at it.  You already let them mess with a certain timeframe in your canon, get them on the payroll and go balls out!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #212 on: January 20, 2012, 04:54:24 AM

Does lucas making the movie count as a hate crime?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #213 on: January 20, 2012, 09:03:40 AM

I feel bad for Red Tails because Lucas actually seems to have a good motivation for wanting to do the film. But I'm also quite sure his comment on The Daily Show about this being "as close to episode 7 as you're ever going to get" has caused spergy nerdrage angst across the globe.

TheWalrus
Terracotta Army

Reply #214 on: January 20, 2012, 03:02:15 PM

That and the trailers make it look like they turned the Tuskegee into a rap video.

vanilla folders - MediumHigh
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #215 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:23 PM

That and the trailers make it look like they turned the Tuskegee into a rap video.
I saw the trailer for the first time last night before hearing about it and that was exactly what I thought followed by "who makes this shit?"
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #216 on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:19 PM

And of course, the message that fails to penetrate into Lucas's skull is that there are millions of people who still want to see the Star Wars stuff...just not by him. 

There is the animated Clone Wars series for that. And the movie, that was by all reports terrible.

Actually, now that I think about it: "Droids".

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #217 on: February 06, 2012, 05:31:03 AM

And of course, the message that fails to penetrate into Lucas's skull is that there are millions of people who still want to see the Star Wars stuff...just not by him.  

There is the animated Clone Wars series for that. And the movie, that was by all reports terrible.

Actually, now that I think about it: "Droids".

Wrong target audience.  Clone Wars cartoon has it's place, but even a raging nerd like me skips it.  It is very much for kids.  And the animation style makes me want to go into epileptic fits, with all it's jerkiness.

No, I mean to loan out the license to somebody to make episodes 7, 8 and 9.  Let Blur animate the thing.  You can pay giant wads of money to get all the original actors to voice their stuff.  Put that shit into the hands of some competent writers, and it would make bank.  Shit, it is even written already!  Let them do the Zahn trilogy!  I would soooooooo go see that.  Don't tell me that most of the neckbeards around here wouldn't also.  Let Lucas sit back and collect his 40%, or whatever.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #218 on: February 06, 2012, 09:12:06 AM

Zahn trilogy was ass.

Much like folks point out about Dragonlance in the, "why don't... fantasy," thread tangent, go back and read it now.  You'll agree; complete ass.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #219 on: February 07, 2012, 12:00:50 AM

I have read it several times, and I don't agree (the next duology he did after them was probably ass).  And even if I did agree that the writing was ass, I think the plot in general would have fit well with the movie formula...and that is the bigger reason why I would pick that as the subject matter for a new trilogy

Whatever.  At the end of the day, my only point is that I think there are people out there that could make a much better SW movie than Lucas, and I would like to see it done.  Will never happen, of course.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #220 on: February 07, 2012, 12:11:56 AM

Zahn trilogy was ass.

Much like folks point out about Dragonlance in the, "why don't... fantasy," thread tangent, go back and read it now.  You'll agree; complete ass.

It is several steps of ass above the Dragonlance stuff. Readable ass, as opposed to 'Jesus how did I ever get past page 5.'

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #221 on: February 07, 2012, 01:26:34 AM

I have read it several times, and I don't agree

I'd quite happily watch (and do!) the Clone Wars cartoons rather than read the Zahn trilogy again. Everyone raved about it when they came out and I gave it a go. It took me four attempts to get past the first chapter. Something about Lando introducing Luke to an exotic beverage called "Hot Chocolate" always made me put it down in disgust.

I always felt that the whole trilogy read like bad, bad fanfic. Like most of the EU stuff. Which, I think, is best summarized by this:

EDIT: bonus

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 01:30:53 AM by DraconianOne »

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #222 on: February 07, 2012, 03:45:49 AM

Zahn trilogy was ass.

It is several steps of ass above the Dragonlance stuff. Readable ass, as opposed to 'Jesus how did I ever get past page 5.'

While I'll agree it's some of the best EU stuff out there, I disagree that it's above ass.

The Force-Blocking slugs alone were ham-fisted wank.  Then it started to get really silly as the Luke-Mara story evolved.  Thrawn was a cool character with a wank superpower of using art to determine how folks would react in space battles.. and then had a huge blind spot about the art of his bodyguards?  Wat?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #223 on: February 07, 2012, 11:54:29 AM

What would you have rather we'd gotten: a trilogy of feature-length CGI animations of the Zahn books, or the actual prequel trilogy?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #224 on: February 07, 2012, 03:47:42 PM

Zahn trilogy was ass.

While I'll agree it's some of the best EU stuff out there, I disagree that it's above ass.

The Force-Blocking slugs alone were ham-fisted wank.  Then it started to get really silly as the Luke-Mara story evolved.  Thrawn was a cool character with a wank superpower of using art to determine how folks would react in space battles.. and then had a huge blind spot about the art of his bodyguards?  Wat?

Technically I didn't say it was above ass.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #225 on: February 07, 2012, 11:03:27 PM

What would you have rather we'd gotten: a trilogy of feature-length CGI animations of the Zahn books, or the actual prequel trilogy?

At least the prequel trilogy felt like Star Wars.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #226 on: February 08, 2012, 01:42:46 AM

It makes me feel dirty to say it but... the prequels. At the very least, the Clone Wars series of comics that came out after Episode 2 were okay and I quite enjoyed them - which is more than I can say about anything that came out of the Zahn books.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull  
Jump to: