Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 11:20:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Six weeks is very close now - 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Six weeks is very close now -  (Read 20045 times)
khaine
Terracotta Army

on: October 29, 2008, 07:01:00 PM

This quote Mark had to rattle off on his retort on the MTV blog will come back to bite him I believe , bad

"“Look at us six months out. Look at us six weeks out. If we’re not adding servers, we’re not doing well.”"

So what will the spin be on this , or complete silence and avoidance on it
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 07:16:52 PM

At least they aren't merging servers.  why so serious?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 07:19:25 PM

As I said in the other thread... offer "transfers".  It paints a less desperate picture. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 07:21:17 PM

As I said in the other thread... offer "transfers".  It paints a less desperate picture. 

What I am curious about is would they consider letting the servers people transfer off of stay online for 5 more months just to avoid anyone bringing this up

It would be interesting to see 10 servers up with 100 or so people on them total

Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 07:24:59 PM

It would be interesting to see 10 servers up with 100 or so people on them total

You don't need to wait 5 months to see that. Someone page Falc.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 07:39:10 PM

You don't need to wait 5 months to see that. Someone page Falc.

It's no joke.  I logged into Ulthuan and Bat Country today around noon.  I was the only BC member and I was one of roughly 40 people on Order.  Granted, noon isn't primetime.  But 40 people? 

Merges are necessary for the month three population to thrive.  Christ, we may come back from seeing WotLK only to find the game entirely empty. 
Le0

Email
Reply #6 on: October 30, 2008, 01:04:46 AM

You can go kiss blizzard ass with their fucking sucky expansion seriously :o

I must be the only person on this fucking board enjoying WAR or something.
If all of you just want to see it fail, why the fuck do you play? Go play Wow already and go grind like fuck
greydor
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 01:13:52 AM

don't think anyone wants it to fail
Mythic just went after the WOW(no offense to anyone) crowd and should have gone after the ex-WOW crowd and just not worried much PVE and made RVR the focus of the game as they claimed they would
it just seems RVR was an afterthought to the game
CecilDK
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 01:15:31 AM

If all of you just want to see it fail, why the fuck do you play? Go play Wow already and go grind like fuck

This is quite an ironic statement considering the leveling curve is much friendlier in WoW than it is in WAR.

And seriously, some people may want it to fail, but other people are venting and/or noting problems they think the game has. If someone sees potential in a game, but sees that it has problems would you rather they just pretend as if there's nothing wrong?
Le0

Email
Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:26:23 AM

This is quite an ironic statement considering the leveling curve is much friendlier in WoW than it is in WAR.

And seriously, some people may want it to fail, but other people are venting and/or noting problems they think the game has. If someone sees potential in a game, but sees that it has problems would you rather they just pretend as if there's nothing wrong?

Did you ever raid end game in Wow? I'm speaking mostly about this fucking huge grind. Basically the whole game or if you prefer the "PvP" grind is valid as well

What bothers me is everyone just go "OMG!!! Mythic suck hahahah" and don't suggest anything constructive other than sarcastic crap
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 02:00:37 AM

What bothers me is everyone just go "OMG!!! Mythic suck hahahah" and don't suggest anything constructive other than sarcastic crap

Well, honestly, most of it is pretty straightforward.  Shortening the grind is not a problem which requires a ten-thousand word dissertation on how to delete some zeros from a table.  More complex problems have had solutions put forward here, but really, what's the point?  Mythic isn't trawling the boards looking for great new ideas that their team of professional game designers somehow missed.

Like Cecil points out, don't make the mistake that everyone who bitches here hates the game.  I love it; I play it every night and have a ton of fun.  That doesn't mean I don't notice a number of things I'd like to see changed, though.  There just isn't as much to say about the stuff that's working.  Gold spam, for example, has been cut way down, and they aren't doing those big "By the glory of Tzeentch, the nefarious thief 'Adsadaflop' hath been strung up by his jibblies" pop-ups anymore.  But what really can you say about that?  It's not really something that's going to generate any real discussion.
CecilDK
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 02:10:32 AM

Did you ever raid end game in Wow? I'm speaking mostly about this fucking huge grind. Basically the whole game or if you prefer the "PvP" grind is valid as well

Nope, I never raided nor had the desire to.  I just like leveling, doing professions, and doing the occasional five-mans.  If you want the bleeding edge content, then I understand how you might feel "forced" into raiding, but I never felt that way.  I just enjoyed the ride to 60 (or now 70), piddled around, and then created a new character to have a new experience.

And if you don't like gear grinds, I hope you don't want to participate in king encounters in WAR, because as it stands now it sounds just as onerous as the gearing process of MC to BWL ever was.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 04:48:19 AM

Well, honestly, most of it is pretty straightforward.  Shortening the grind is not a problem which requires a ten-thousand word dissertation on how to delete some zeros from a table.  More complex problems have had solutions put forward here, but really, what's the point?  Mythic isn't trawling the boards looking for great new ideas that their team of professional game designers somehow missed.

Like Cecil points out, don't make the mistake that everyone who bitches here hates the game.  I love it; I play it every night and have a ton of fun.  That doesn't mean I don't notice a number of things I'd like to see changed, though.  There just isn't as much to say about the stuff that's working.  Gold spam, for example, has been cut way down, and they aren't doing those big "By the glory of Tzeentch, the nefarious thief 'Adsadaflop' hath been strung up by his jibblies" pop-ups anymore.  But what really can you say about that?  It's not really something that's going to generate any real discussion.

Burn the Heretic! 

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 05:06:40 AM

The mid game in WAR is a damn grind. The end-game is a greater grind due to the apparent requirements for getting armour sets to get more armour sets to finally get armour sets that let you survive in the end-game areas i.e. hostile cities.

Scenarios, especially T3 and T4, have been indicated as a massive PvP grind of doing them over and over and over until you level because it is still the most time efficient way of character progression.

There is a tonne of constructive things in these threads, including the stuff said directly to Mark Jacobs when he posted. The hilarity is that whatever appears to be the most sensible path to improve the game, Mythic appears to have no idea about what their players want and how they behave, so go and do something completely different.

Next up, you can talk a bit more about how much WoW suck hahahaha, talk about how WAR is awesome, insult some people as being WoW lovers and then disappear in a sentence that doesn't end in a full stop

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:09:13 AM

This quote Mark had to rattle off on his retort on the MTV blog will come back to bite him I believe , bad

"“Look at us six months out. Look at us six weeks out. If we’re not adding servers, we’re not doing well.”"

So what will the spin be on this , or complete silence and avoidance on it

But they've already added new servers!

khaine
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 05:52:24 AM

I'll be sure to follow your posts as examples of mature and constructive posts ,

Now let me know when you get about 36-40 and realize the grind for RvR ranks in WAR is worse than any grind in WoW , and then the armor grind for hoping to get a piece in a random roll gets stacked on top of it

I've suggested in other places as many others have also things they need to do , this thread was about what a bad idea it was for MJ to go on record with statements like that , it backed him into a corner that may lead to further problems with the game

I still play hoping for the small chance they realize the drastic changes they need to do to make Tier4 actually fun , (and 3 for that matter) , and lists of other problems

But of course the ,"if you dont like it go back to WoWZor" crowd like you infests the WAR and VN boards , and I didnt realize that was the more constructive way to post

ghost
The Dentist

Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 06:02:30 AM

Any MMO is going to have some form of "grind".  That is the "recipe for success" financially.  One person's grind may not be the same as the next person's, however.  It is all perception.  Some like raiding, I suppose.  I do not.  However, the premise is still there:  keep people hooked and they will continue to play................and pay.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 06:57:02 AM

Any MMO is going to have some form of "grind".  That is the "recipe for success" financially.  One person's grind may not be the same as the next person's, however.  It is all perception.  Some like raiding, I suppose.  I do not.  However, the premise is still there:  keep people hooked and they will continue to play................and pay.

Looking at the Bat Country experience in WAR, one of the biggest issues we had was how split up everyone was.  While I do think some of a grind is a sound investment strategy for a game, splitting a whole guild up across three tiers did exactly what you don't want to do:  It split the guild up entirely. 

It's too late to fix and retain their box subs, but future games could make sure their design lets all players play together at any time they wish, while making the 'grind' a different function that only minimally separates players.  For example, allowing players to get into the 35-40 game quickly (25-50 hours of gameplay) but making renown the true grind would have allowed for better player retention. 

Ideally, remake WAR by removing T1-T3 and instead of having levels 1-40, make it 1-10.  Or no levels at all... wacky, huh? 

I am positive that BC would have had more player interaction if we weren't all split up across levels. 
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 07:57:00 AM

Although the game does have problems, and the populations on some servers are dismal, Bat Country is certainly not a good case study. After a month in WoW, Bat Country was dead, having been a guild of 100+ players and alts. The server Bat Country was on in WoW never dipped below high population and has been full for some time now. Bat Country failure tells you nothing about the game or the server.

But Ulthuan is fucked.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #19 on: October 30, 2008, 08:01:44 AM

Although the game does have problems, and the populations on some servers are dismal, Bat Country is certainly not a good case study. After a month in WoW, Bat Country was dead, having been a guild of 100+ players and alts. The server Bat Country was on in WoW never dipped below high population and has been full for some time now. Bat Country failure tells you nothing about the game or the server.

But Ulthuan is fucked.

how bad is it? i quit ulthuan cause it's really not my time zone. i login and there's not much things to do on my own. I imagine it should be quite active during prime time right?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: October 30, 2008, 08:32:02 AM

I stopped playing on ulthuan when bat country had 4-8 members on in prime time out of 100.  It's not good.

Skull Throne is much, much better population-wise, which instantly makes the game much, much better.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #21 on: October 30, 2008, 09:30:50 AM

Ulthuan is pretty barren. The PVE areas in t3 (Talabecland anyway) is a ghost town. oRVR has been pretty barren as well most nights, with the exception of the Live Event last night, and 3 other times in a month. t3 scenarios are not popping, except for Tor Anroc. I've seen at most 5 BC players on at once in the last week. Mostly it's just me, Taz and Tronk at least that I've seen.

Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Reply #22 on: October 30, 2008, 09:47:26 AM

But Ulthuan is fucked.

Sure, I give you that BC isn't ideal because of the nature of the guild (a guild comprised of people that bitch about video games isn't a recipe for success).  But we don't need to scientifically correlate these things to see that what happened in BC is happening to other guilds across all servers as well.  Simply read forums and anyone can see it.  All signs point to the cause being Mythic's inability to make successful, expedient changes faster than people are getting bored and leaving.  January is going to be ugly for subscriptions. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 09:50:25 AM

January?  I think December will be the sharp decline.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
schild
Administrator

Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 09:50:58 AM

December? I'm sure they've already got sharp decline NOW. At the very least, higher than average.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 09:52:22 AM

December? I'm sure they've already got sharp decline NOW. At the very least, higher than average.

Some people are still hoping things will improve.  When they don't in November, people will flee back to WoW in droves for the expansion. That spike shows in December along with the non-renewal of the 3 month subs.

-  Mark Twain
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 09:56:24 AM

December might have its results skewed by Xmas to some extent. A little bit more free time, people buying gifts, let's see what has changed in WAR and take part in the Festival of the Pie, or something like that.

But I'm sure things aren't looking so rosy right now. AoC had 800k players that dropped to 415k, if I remember correctly. WAR has only announced 500k players to date...

Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 09:59:25 AM

If you go back and actually read some of these threads you will see tons and tons of constructive posts on what we feel would be viable ways to fix it. At this post, the forum has been invaded by idiots and there is no point any more.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 10:01:10 AM

December might have its results skewed by Xmas to some extent. A little bit more free time, people buying gifts, let's see what has changed in WAR and take part in the Festival of the Pie, or something like that.

But I'm sure things aren't looking so rosy right now. AoC had 800k players that dropped to 415k, if I remember correctly. WAR has only announced 500k players to date...

I'm becoming pessimistic about WAR Christmas sales.  The buzz is out and it's not good buzz.  I'm going to bet that Christmas finds Best Buy shelves full of WAR and empty of the Lich king. 

-  Mark Twain
tolakram
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 10:32:18 AM

I'm becoming pessimistic about WAR Christmas sales.  The buzz is out and it's not good buzz.  I'm going to bet that Christmas finds Best Buy shelves full of WAR and empty of the Lich king. 

People who will want or get this game may not be aware of the buzz.   I think the new classes are targeted as new stuff to directly compete with WoW and it will provide either a bump or less of a loss.  I believe we'll see more classes added to an existing pairing early next year to try and build a slow increase in subscribers.  We'll see.
CecilDK
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 01:42:26 PM

The problem is that a game that launched in September is going to be competing with the assload of games that launched both this month and next month for gaming dollars.

Now, granted, the only significant PC releases aside from WoTLK are (as I remember) Left 4 Dead and Fallout 3, but the console games are going to take a chunk out of it as well.

With WoTLK and the obvious impact it will have on the playerbase plus all the "big" games coming out during the holiday season, I just don't see WAR having that great of a Christmas season as it is----

Unless, that is, the improvements that they make by December improve the game a lot.  That may help somewhat with retention and with word of mouth.
AngryGumball
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: October 31, 2008, 01:34:12 PM

Did Warhammer Online really screw itself by being another gaming company that does not regulate Faction balance. Being so many more Destruction than Order?
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #32 on: October 31, 2008, 02:17:04 PM

But Ulthuan is fucked.

Yeah, they probably underestimated the negative effect splitting the "tiers" would have on the game. 

This, in and of itself, may be a "game killer" when it comes to interaction.

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #33 on: November 01, 2008, 07:34:21 PM

January?  I think December will be the sharp decline.

There's less then 2 weeks before the guts of the game are torn out.  tongue

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 05:46:38 AM

Edit: nevermind, I got what you meant
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Six weeks is very close now -  
Jump to: