Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:06:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Six weeks is very close now - 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Six weeks is very close now -  (Read 19807 times)
Votan
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 06:13:25 AM

With the craptastic quarter Electronic Arts just put up I suspect that Mythic got a nice gun to the head to release early cause EA needed the box sales. Without WAR box sales they would have had some god aweful numbers. This explains a lot to me like the cutting of the class's, cities, and the still beta verison of the game we are currently playing. EA has the touch of death when it comes to MMO's. I believe Mythic needed and would have taken 3 more months of time to get this game ready for release given an option.  MJ would never admit this of course even if he wanted to cause he would get fired.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 06:25:28 AM

Well, I'm still pretty much having fun with WAR but to tell the truth, it's mostly in scenarios, and unfortunately, it's all Nordenwatch so far. I rerolled on Skull Throne (Destro - Rhuwynne - Sorc) based on the mention above and so far, RvR and PQ's seem about the same as the other servers I've rolled on (i.e. non-existent). Scenario time isn't bad I guess (I still have yet to see what Gates of Ecklund is like) and it's fun in a UT sort of way. But I can see it growing old if I'm continually behind the level curve and have few people to play with outside the scenarios. I saw one general chat shout last night that probably sums up the general audience's reaction to WAR: "This is gay. I'm going back to WoW.".  Without the RvR, WAR isn't much better than any number of free but mindless KMMOs out there. The creature A.I. is non-existent. I can pretty much attack a mob group and pick them off one by one. Apparently when your buddy gets smacked with a bolt of chaotic energy it's just all part of a standard day and you stand there munching your sandwich and swigging your coffee waiting for your turn to get smacked by a bolt of chaotic energy. The PvE world has no life or believability to it at all. So far WAR is doing almost nothing right in grabbing and holding the newbie. The only thing playable is their updated version of Legends of Might and Magic and that gets old. My advice on scenarios would be to have a rotating exp or loot bonus amongst the scenarios so that the monkeys click on something other than what ever the tier favorite is. Nordenwatch is fine the first 500 times, but that 501st time... Actually, I'm close to hitting T2 so I'll soon get to see whatever the community favorite is there. And I got one of the Halloween masks during one of the Nordens so I guess I can't complain too much.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 02:57:59 PM

Azazel is so dead in T4 RVR that we have started up a Destruction component on Skull Throne because its the only server where Order is Strong, and has a Destruction element willing to fight. Its sad but strategic server clustering or full out mergers are the only way to create the populations needed, and then they've got to make RVR worth it.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Warskull
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 09:42:47 PM

Azazel is so dead in T4 RVR that we have started up a Destruction component on Skull Throne because its the only server where Order is Strong, and has a Destruction element willing to fight. Its sad but strategic server clustering or full out mergers are the only way to create the populations needed, and then they've got to make RVR worth it.

For some reason the player mass seems to be stuck in T3 and doing a lot of rerolling.  If they ever get their ass to T4 is should be fun.  I have been playing Fallout ect. while waiting for them.  Server merges would do this game some good.  Everything in this game hinges on getting a critical mass of players together.  When that happens it is great, it is constantly failing to happen.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 10:34:47 PM

For some reason the player mass seems to be stuck in T3 and doing a lot of rerolling.

Almost like there was some sort of cock blocking grind  Ohhhhh, I see.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pringles
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 11:52:36 PM

For some reason the player mass seems to be stuck in T3 and doing a lot of rerolling.

Almost like there was some sort of cock blocking grind  Ohhhhh, I see.
Or maybe T1&2 RVR is better than T3/T4 where you get instagibbed by magnet+AOE and RDPS/AOE in general, and in T1/2 you can play any class and feel like you're contributing.

Maybe anyways, I wouldn't know I just said fuck it I'm not making an alt and unsubbed.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Arthur_Parker
Terracotta Army

Internet Detective

Reply #41 on: November 03, 2008, 01:18:41 AM

Maybe anyways, I wouldn't know I just said fuck it I'm not making an alt and unsubbed.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I think the decision to decrease levelling speed just before release hurt the game more than anything else.  They did exactly the same thing at DAoC's release, even narrowed the exp range for grouping then. 

I like the Warhammer IP but this PVE grind is intensely boring.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 03, 2008, 06:21:08 AM

I think the decision to decrease levelling speed just before release hurt the game more than anything else.  They did exactly the same thing at DAoC's release, even narrowed the exp range for grouping then. 

I like the Warhammer IP but this PVE grind is intensely boring.

Yeah I remember that. On Merlin there were several level 50's and the largest bulk of competitive guilds had people in their 30's when Mythic did that. The result was that it was very hard to defend our relics for the first 3 months, and it was only due to the level difference.

I have looked at a lot of server discussion boards, and there does seem to be some merit to the statement that people are rerolling T1-T2 alts instead of dealing with the T3/T4 grind.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 03, 2008, 06:27:07 AM

I have looked at a lot of server discussion boards, and there does seem to be some merit to the statement that people are rerolling T1-T2 alts instead of dealing with the T3/T4 grind.

Things Mythic should notice:

1) T1 is fun.  Capture that for the entirety of the 1-40 trip.

2) If you're boosting players to level 8 for PvP, then there's no point to having a level 1-7.  This game could be simplified to 12 levels (3 levels per tier).  Giving players 40 levels to grind through when they are essentially only 12 different levels in scenarios means that the other levels are in place to serve as nothing but a roadblock.

3) Fix the endgame fast.  If players are rolling alts to have fun, then the fun you meant them to have at the end of the treadmill isn't. 

4) I still content that giving players their abilities based on xp is moronic.  Abilities and skill tree points shoudl be awarded with reknown rank.  It adds the kind of incentive to pvp that players want.  See: DAoC.  How long would DAoC have lasted with no rp incentive like it had at release?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ard
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: November 03, 2008, 10:52:55 AM

[4) I still content that giving players their abilities based on xp is moronic.  Abilities and skill tree points shoudl be awarded with reknown rank.  It adds the kind of incentive to pvp that players want.  See: DAoC.  How long would DAoC have lasted with no rp incentive like it had at release?

Actually, that brings it almost more in line with CoD4.  WAR is already almost there given the scenarios as is.  And with more FPS games going with leveling type schemes coming up, I'm wondering if WAR is really mostly just a dinosaur at this point.  Levels are more feeling like they were a mistake in WAR now that I've hit the wall.
Sleep
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 28, 2008, 06:50:56 AM

don't think anyone wants it to fail
Mythic just went after the WOW(no offense to anyone) crowd and should have gone after the ex-WOW crowd and just not worried much PVE and made RVR the focus of the game as they claimed they would
it just seems RVR was an afterthought to the game

QFT and that is the problem. Its WoWLite, not the next big thing we all thought it was going to be. Its just kind of a flashier and slightly more fun alternative. Nothing ground breaking yet. I hope they just scrap their ORVR and PQ builds for something more streamlined. As is both just work to spread out the player base instead of uniting them to an objective.
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: November 28, 2008, 02:21:48 PM

Just yesterday, like I am sure many folks here, I went to a friends house for Thanksgiving. The topic is almost always MMOs when we get together. We watched the fanfest videos from Eve, chatted about other games, etc... the main sticking point to WAR was 'it's lame, I went back to WoW, everything in WAR I can do in WoW to some extent so why bother?'. Sure we had one guy defending WAR to the hilt, but we just ignored him and talked about Eve mostly.

EA pushed Mythic to get it out of the door. Marketing sucked. There are classes in the opening movie that aren't even in the game, Slayer anyone? Mythic released minus an Order tank, a DE tank, an Order mdps, and another Orc class. Despite what people think, that hurt. Mythic cut major cities that people were really wanting to see. Servers are a clusterfuck. Seven different iterations of transfers? Holy fuck... I have never seen something that bad. I didnt play Vanguard, I didnt play AoC so I heard they were bad, but cant speak first hand on it.

Bottom line, the game might turn around, but it will be no where near what expectations thought it would be. Mark said he wanted a solid second place game, I doubt he makes it in the top 5 by the time it's all said and done. I have stopped bitching with people about it, I want to see numbers. I know their population has shit the bed hardcore, if I see yet another server transfer message I'm past the point of laughing about it, I just say "dear baby jeebus, that's sad" and forget about it.

One side note, the vitriolic nature of most of the Mythic fanbois is also leading many folks to find more and more reasons to hate WAR and pick away at them if for nothing else just to piss them off and watch them spin.
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: November 28, 2008, 08:21:08 PM

I've rolled 3 ALT's, and I haven't gotten a single one of them above level 15 via PVP only. I sit in T1 and T2 queues for 30+ minutes, get bored to death, and log out. I get on my level 40, crush Destruction, and get bored trying to lock zones when they won't come out to fight. All around Order, on my server, seems to really lack for T4 healers and it limits what can be done without a lot of pre-planning.

They've got to cluster servers, cluster scenarios, merge servers more, or cluster scenarios and merge servers to keep a critical mass of players. The slower PVP gets, the less people log on, the more bored everyone else gets, and the cycle just keeps going downward.

This game is getting blasted in the press, the blogs, the fansites, and going down the same exact path as AOC. Mythic better hope the 1.1 patch is a miracle patch to keep folks interested while they figure out how to merge servers.  If 1.1 doesn't radically change things, then the general buzz is that mass cancellations will soon follow.

I'm torn myself because I don't like giving games more than 90 days to get their shit straight, but I don't want to play WotlK and nothing else is on the market right now. Overall I am just disappointed in Mythic because they didn't learn anything from DAOC or if they did, they didn't apply it to Warhammer. With the game hurting this bad 6 weeks post release, imagine what its going to look like 6 months post release without a significant overhaul to PVP, PVE, and the other core issues.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: November 30, 2008, 01:23:51 AM

So, does DAoC have more subs than WAR by now?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #49 on: November 30, 2008, 01:45:52 AM

lol NEWSFLASH:  Darklands fortress crash within 5 mins.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Bismallah
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: November 30, 2008, 03:20:44 AM

No, DAOC has around 75k total active subs, if that... at peak they were around 250k. If DAOC releases Origins I bet WAR takes it's final shit... which is probably why they keep pushing it back or say nothing about it at all.

Darklands, Volkmar, everything is crashing when they push the Fortresses. Volkmar Order crashed when they had both gates down and everything reset on them.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Six weeks is very close now -  
Jump to: