Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 11:38:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102318 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #11550 on: October 18, 2011, 11:56:56 AM

IIRCC, SWG spawned the "nest" when you got close, minimizing the the chances of someone killing it all before you got there. But then again, mission terminals were intended to be the 30 minute content system.
You also got credit for completing the mission if someone else took out the nest.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #11551 on: October 18, 2011, 12:00:50 PM

Hey Sky! I'm a few days behind, and don't plan on playing this anyway...but glad to see you care  Heart Heart Heart Heart
Yeah, didn't think you guys would be playing it. But if you were, I'd send anyone interested in pvp that way, always better with a good clan/guild/murder. Maybe SC will have something going, I can see a case for pvp, as much as I hate its effect on pve development. Huttball looks like a blast, even if the open world doesn't pan out.
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

All this swearing upsets me. I'm sensitive.

Reply #11552 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:45 PM

Overpopulation servers are bad, but being stuck on underpopulated servers is worse.

Over-populated servers are awesome. As long as you aren't running into a login queue, they are the best way to experience an MMO. The ability to participate in any aspect of the game at any hour of the day, a good economy, and a large enough amount of players that you'll probably find a guild you like.

Usually the 'recommended' servers are the lowest population servers that will give you the poorest MMO experience. The first thing I do when I start an MMO is figure out what server has the highest or close-to the highest population and roll there.

For the past couple of games my guild has done the following.

1 - Find the "Cool Kids" server in the forums. Some server always gets designated the "hardcore!" or "open world pvp!" or "Some other such nonsense" server. Avoid that.

2 - Find out what server is the "screw the cool kids server ... this server will be better!" And find out what server the Goons and some other large zerg guilds are flocking to. Avoid those as well.

3 - Whatever server is next in line is the pick. It will be populated enough to have all the perks of the two servers above. Except your queue times will be short in length, and disappear more quickly. And you won't have to deal with the kinds of people who think calling a server "hardcore!" before the game launches makes them better than you.

Of course this is all mute with Bioware's plans to assign servers.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #11553 on: October 18, 2011, 12:56:05 PM

Or you can hold off till schild makes his server decree.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #11554 on: October 18, 2011, 12:58:09 PM

... and then quits a week after playing there.  Is Schild even playing this game?  I have a hard enough time believing he'd play an MMO anymore. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #11555 on: October 18, 2011, 01:02:54 PM

Overpopulation servers are bad, but being stuck on underpopulated servers is worse.

Over-populated servers are awesome. As long as you aren't running into a login queue, they are the best way to experience an MMO. The ability to participate in any aspect of the game at any hour of the day, a good economy, and a large enough amount of players that you'll probably find a guild you like.

Usually the 'recommended' servers are the lowest population servers that will give you the poorest MMO experience. The first thing I do when I start an MMO is figure out what server has the highest or close-to the highest population and roll there.

1 - Find the "Cool Kids" server in the forums. Some server always gets designated the "hardcore!" or "open world pvp!" or "Some other such nonsense" server. Avoid that.

2 - Find out what server is the "screw the cool kids server ... this server will be better!" And find out what server the Goons and some other large zerg guilds are flocking to. Avoid those as well.

3 - Whatever server is next in line is the pick. It will be populated enough to have all the perks of the two servers above. Except your queue times will be short in length, and disappear more quickly. And you won't have to deal with the kinds of people who think calling a server "hardcore!" before the game launches makes them better than you.

I think we go by how dwarfy the server name sounds.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11556 on: October 18, 2011, 01:07:49 PM

BWA solved this one, as long as we have enough pre-orders in BC, which I think we will. Pre-launch guild auto-select ft (hopeful) w.

That's why we're adversaries with SlapForce and a couple smaller guilds; the hope is BWA plants us all on the same server so no hopping around bullshit on launch day trying to coordinate.

That said, Mnemon has a good point about the goon server effect.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #11557 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:41 PM

Which is a problem why?  angry

In this case of course we'll just get plopped somewhere by the game. Which is fine, really.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11558 on: October 18, 2011, 01:25:07 PM

Which is a problem why?  angry

In this case of course we'll just get plopped somewhere by the game. Which is fine, really.
If we get auto-plopped on the goon server or whatever, I'm cool with choosing by the dwarfiest (which is often also very vikingly!).
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11559 on: October 18, 2011, 01:37:40 PM

I suspect due to holiday issues and the general trickle-in of players I expect us to have we're going to be stuck wherever we land, for better or for worse.

Odds of goons picking an RP server seem pretty low in any case.

Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #11560 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:14 PM

moot...

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11561 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:14 PM

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #11562 on: October 18, 2011, 02:22:26 PM

..t

"Me am play gods"
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #11563 on: October 18, 2011, 02:30:33 PM

moot

Just incase someone didn't get it.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #11564 on: October 18, 2011, 02:48:39 PM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11565 on: October 18, 2011, 02:56:24 PM

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #11566 on: October 18, 2011, 03:08:30 PM

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #11567 on: October 18, 2011, 03:14:04 PM

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #11568 on: October 18, 2011, 03:19:21 PM

I'm sorry, the answer is Moops...

Moops.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #11569 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:52 PM

A cows opinion?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #11570 on: October 18, 2011, 04:37:08 PM

Odds of goons picking an RP server seem pretty low in any case.

There are actually a lot of Goon guilds for SWTOR.

The one you probably want to avoid is Star Fleet Dental, although they will bring a large amount of humor and talent to whatever server they're on, you just risk being the butt of the joke.  They will be Republic PVP.  RP PVP if there is such a thing.  If you haven't seen their recruitment videos you should check them out.  They are hilarious.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #11571 on: October 18, 2011, 04:54:49 PM

Fuck yeah! Not many people probably remember that.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #11572 on: October 18, 2011, 07:24:10 PM

Ingmar plays Jackson ftw
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #11573 on: October 19, 2011, 12:24:15 AM

Star Fleet Dental
Those guys are insane.  awesome, for real

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Mnemon
Terracotta Army

All this swearing upsets me. I'm sensitive.

Reply #11574 on: October 19, 2011, 10:24:17 AM

A cows opinion?

lol beat me too it.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #11575 on: October 19, 2011, 10:39:41 PM

So IGN's reporting that the press embargo on TOR is going to be lifted soon.

But the NDA is still in place for testers.

swamp poop
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #11576 on: October 19, 2011, 11:00:11 PM

What testers think isn't important. It's now up to the gaming press to show EA BioWare how much they appreciate their generosity.

Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #11577 on: October 19, 2011, 11:04:22 PM

swamp poop

The NDA is in place but will be lifted soon according to some of the devs. I'd be willing to bet it'll drop in mid November. It almost has to but we'll see.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #11578 on: October 20, 2011, 02:42:17 AM

Like the press is going to say anything negative at this point.  EA's betting the farm, the house and the beach-resort on this thing succeeding, along with a stupid amount of advertising.  Any press that would say one bad word can kiss their chunk of the ad pie good bye.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #11579 on: October 20, 2011, 02:48:33 AM

How is server assignment going to work?  i plan on playing with 7 or 8 friends, but nobody but me is planning on preordering and we certainly aren't organized enough to start a guild pre launch.  I will feel the rage of a thousand blinding suns if my friends are unable to join the same server as me.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #11580 on: October 20, 2011, 02:52:29 AM

How is server assignment going to work?  i plan on playing with 7 or 8 friends, but nobody but me is planning on preordering and we certainly aren't organized enough to start a guild pre launch.  I will feel the rage of a thousand blinding suns if my friends are unable to join the same server as me.

Even if your guild is sent to a specific server you don't have to go there, but you won't have your guild name and junk saved.  Other than that you and your buds can pick whatever server you guys want to play on when launch comes.  There is no region locks or anything like that.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #11581 on: October 20, 2011, 05:00:13 AM

swamp poop

This sounds familiar and I can't recall what other game did the same thing pre-launch.  Was it WAR, also an EA property?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #11582 on: October 20, 2011, 05:07:22 AM

The NDA needs to just come down.  The core game is done and any new builds wont change beta testers opinions now, good or bad.  At this point they are in tweaks and fixes mode so lets just have at it. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #11583 on: October 20, 2011, 05:18:43 AM

Yeah, but there is a committee, a senior manager, 3 PR bunnies, and a lawyer who need to sign off on the NDA, none of whom have any day to day connection with the game, but all of whom exercise a veto.

Such is life in a sinister global megacorporation.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11584 on: October 20, 2011, 09:27:24 AM

They might drop the NDA just to counter blizzcon  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 ... 329 330 [331] 332 333 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: