Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:53:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102139 times)
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10325 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:05 PM

It's getting almost as bad as the official SWTOR forums in here.. geez.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #10326 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:43 PM

Yeah, I'm just gonna back away slowly before I get lynched.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10327 on: September 13, 2011, 04:21:55 PM

FWIW Paelos, I'm with you.  Hot button topics here are srs bsns.  PC in full force.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #10328 on: September 13, 2011, 04:25:05 PM

Oh please. I don't think you know the power of a fully-functional PC battle station. Sjofn once got lectured on a feminist gaming site for using the word "lame".

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10329 on: September 13, 2011, 04:25:59 PM

Oh please. I don't think you know the power of a fully-functional PC battle station.

Thats no moon.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10330 on: September 13, 2011, 04:26:09 PM

Oh please. I don't think you know the power of a fully-functional PC battle station. Sjofn once got lectured on a feminist gaming site for using the word "lame".

How gay is that!   why so serious?
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10331 on: September 13, 2011, 04:31:17 PM

You'll get no trouble from me sir.  I like these boards.  I don't want to be banned for going against the grain.   NDA

/passive aggressive ftw
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10332 on: September 13, 2011, 04:33:54 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

I hardly think pointing out that "you gay people should pipe down because we wouldn't want to cause a scene," which appears to have been Paelos's entire point, is the most useless kind of non-opinion possible actually has all that much to do with being PC.

That was a pretty horrible bit of sentence construction there, sorry.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10333 on: September 13, 2011, 04:36:03 PM

Are we really going to get a full page of people complaining about lynchings, bannings and the PC police because someone dared to disagree with a straight man? (And point out when he was being obviously disingenuous?)

Gay people have nothing on you guys when it comes to drama queening, that's for sure!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:43:23 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10334 on: September 13, 2011, 04:38:24 PM

That was like ... the greatest thing ever. But I wasn't actually the one who got lectured, I merely defended the person who was being shamed for using a word that is rarely - if ever - applied to people that are, well, actually lame. I did accidently provoke them into also forbidding the word "dumb," though. Apparently the brigade didn't know it could also mean "mute."
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 04:40:25 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10335 on: September 13, 2011, 04:55:40 PM

Are we really going to get a full page of people complaining about lynchings, bannings and the PC police because someone dared to disagree with a straight man? (And point out when he was being obviously disingenuous?)

Gay people have nothing on you guys when it comes to drama queening, that's for sure!

So you find nothing hilarious about the fact that SWTOR is literally going to have to "patch in the gay?" Because I do.

TBH - I find people pulling giant tanks out of the ground over and over again much more upsetting than two guys fictionally doing it in the fictional universe in my computer game.

But after all I'm just a fucking bigot.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10336 on: September 13, 2011, 05:01:35 PM

Sure is tough, saying something that makes you sound like an asshole, and getting called an asshole for it. :(

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10337 on: September 13, 2011, 05:02:35 PM

Sure is tough, saying something that makes you sound like an asshole, and getting called an asshole for it. :(

I for one, welcome our new gay Sith overlords.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10338 on: September 13, 2011, 05:04:04 PM

Quote from: Margalis
So are we really going to get a full page of people complaining about lynchings, bannings and the PC police because someone dared to disagree with a straight man?

Quote from: Paelos
But after all I'm just a fucking bigot.

So that's a yes?

I wonder exactly how long you can go on about the terrible persecution you've suffered here. You know, terrible terrible things like people stating contradictory opinions on a topic that was purely informational until you weighed in with your own opinion.   Ohhhhh, I see.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #10339 on: September 13, 2011, 05:05:05 PM

So you find nothing hilarious about the fact that SWTOR is literally going to have to "patch in the gay?" Because I do.

It is hilarious. And also sad. The content could just have been there from the get go with no need to call any specific attention to it one way or another, much as was the case in Dragon Age. They kind of patched in the gay in Battlestar Galactica (the recent TV series) with a web episode showing Gaita and his -- what -- boyfriend? Never was defined and definitely felt patched in. Too bad it just wasn't a part of Gaita's broadcast story line all along.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #10340 on: September 13, 2011, 05:06:42 PM

Pope Palpatine (hey, look at those SHOULDERPADS!!!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS DRILLING AND MANLINESS) is pleased with you all. Page 300 is almost here.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10341 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:26 PM

Totally agree with that. There are so many ways they could have not fucked this up. One would be just to do it and say nothing. The other would have been to just ignore romances all together.

It's another case of where trying to avoid drama actually caused a shitload of drama.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #10342 on: September 13, 2011, 05:14:50 PM

Just when I think the crazy's come full circle y'all find another hole to crawl down.

The monkey grew up in the South as a hardcore Christian and is proud of it.  I consider it a massive achievement in progress he's only mildly distasteful instead of a full on he-man man-hater.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #10343 on: September 13, 2011, 05:16:17 PM

Yeah!

I think.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #10344 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:36 PM

I'm just going to take this all as a hopeful sign that Bioware now has enough clout to win lorefights with Lucas over stuff like this, at least eventually.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10345 on: September 13, 2011, 05:39:58 PM

That was like ... the greatest thing ever. But I wasn't actually the one who got lectured, I merely defended the person who was being shamed for using a word that is rarely - if ever - applied to people that are, well, actually lame. I did accidently provoke them into also forbidding the word "dumb," though. Apparently the brigade didn't know it could also mean "mute."
I once chewed out our local PC policewoman for using the word 'cobbled'. Oh, the lament of the poor cobbler, to have his livelihood reduced to meaning slapping something together in a shoddy manner!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10346 on: September 13, 2011, 05:46:41 PM

Haha, I think that probably beats mine. After all people do still use the word "lame" ... it's just usually when they talk about a horse coming up lame or something.

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10347 on: September 13, 2011, 05:59:08 PM

The horses don't find that offensive?

Over and out.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10348 on: September 13, 2011, 06:07:42 PM

The horses don't find that offensive?

Pfft.  Horses are lame. 
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10349 on: September 13, 2011, 06:33:43 PM

Saying they will add the romances "post release" means exactly jack and shit, kinda like promises of housing in wow.

The thing is, it's not like this is hard to do, the romances are there already for one gender, having added a second would have been no great trouble to code.  The only stumbling block would have been adding more lines of dialogue which I bet are recorded somewhere and being held onto.

EA is playing it safe, just like they did after the backlash from ME1 and toned down ME2, which did in my opinion suffer for it. Not because I want to be sexing the universe but because it takes away choices you already had, it limits you.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10350 on: September 13, 2011, 06:42:45 PM

I once chewed out our local PC policewoman for using the word 'cobbled'. Oh, the lament of the poor cobbler, to have his livelihood reduced to meaning slapping something together in a shoddy manner!

My freshman year half Mexican, half Chinese roommate and I almost got put on probation because we had a sign on our door talking about spics, nigras, chinks and japs.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10351 on: September 13, 2011, 06:54:16 PM

It also depends on what they mean by those same sex relationships. Lesbian relationships between hot chicks? Bang on for the target market of young males. Large, muscle men in love? That'd probably be a congressional inquiry.

And yes, post-launch content is an open field for promises that never quite come out.

And then will same sex relationships be rolled out for all 8 classes times two for each gender? That'd take a while.

As for LucasArts versus EA / BioWare, I'd say that LucasArts still wears the pants in that relationship. An official statement by BioWare can mean diddly squat in that situation.

climbjtree
Terracotta Army

Reply #10352 on: September 13, 2011, 06:58:06 PM

poor cobbler... shoddy manner...

Wokka wokka!
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10353 on: September 13, 2011, 06:59:11 PM

EA is playing it safe, just like they did after the backlash from ME1 and toned down ME2, which did in my opinion suffer for it. Not because I want to be sexing the universe but because it takes away choices you already had, it limits you.

I'm having sort of a hard time eyeing EA suspiciously on this, given ME3 is going to have gay romances, DA and DA2 gayed it up, and most importantly, EA sells the Sims, which can be the gayest damn game in the universe if you so choose. The Sims, which is one of their gigantic cash cows. The Sims, which is about as mainstream a damn game as you can get. There was never not gay in the Sims.

Ahh, I remember the first time I realized you could have gay sims during the original. The husband of the family I was playing, on his own (yay free will), flirted with his best friend and they fell in love. I thought it was so sweet, I let them run off together, and found the wife a nice rebound gentleman.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10354 on: September 13, 2011, 07:00:39 PM

Well, it was similar in ME2 so it may be a combination of people against it(you're right about ME3) but either way, it's cowardly backtracking on things that have already been included in the genre.(rpg's, not mmo's)

You can argue that same sex relationships are not necessary, they aren't really but neither are hetero romances.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #10355 on: September 13, 2011, 07:04:51 PM

All of this reminds me of a joke...

What do you call a black man flying an airplane...

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10356 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:13 PM

I think the real question raised by all of this is.... Pink Lightsabers yeh/nay?
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #10357 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:44 PM

Wait..what?

What the deuce?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10358 on: September 13, 2011, 07:17:39 PM

I think the real question raised by all of this is.... Pink Lightsabers yeh/nay?

Only if we can have black ones.  We have to be fair to everyone.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #10359 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:56 PM

Y'know what I'd like to see?  Before gays have their 'gameday' so to speak...  how 'bout we patch in some inter-racial romance?   Ohhhhh, I see.
It's like Lucas/Bioware would rather run some CG-human-on-bothan action before depicting two humans of differing color.  Seriously.

If we're gonna mess with this, at least go all the damned way.

And boobies.  I want boobies. 

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Pages: 1 ... 294 295 [296] 297 298 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: