Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:40:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102463 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10150 on: September 10, 2011, 07:39:12 PM

So, considering that one can pre-order at almost certainly the last minute without missing much for zero cost and very low risk, it's not fair to call SWTOR offering pre-orders when they did a "scam".
It's on the same level as Columbia House to me.  Not illegal, pretty clever really, but kinda sketchy when you think about the business model in detail.

Were this Algernon or whatever it's called, people would not be throwing down $60 for a product sight-unseen.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #10151 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:47 PM

I really don't know what people screaming about the NDA think they are hiding.  
Right, and I can't tell you due to the NDA. Get it now?
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10152 on: September 10, 2011, 07:58:05 PM

Lantyssa, I say this with love. Don't buy the game. It could send the most mind blowing orgasms directly to your brain, and you will not like it. Because you have already firmly decided the whole thing is terrible. And that's fine, that's your opinion. But you'll regret buying it. So don't.

EDIT: Also, you know who hasn't pre-ordered yet? Me.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:00:15 PM by Sjofn »

God Save the Horn Players
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10153 on: September 10, 2011, 08:17:53 PM

Given that most groups of friends in MMOs fall apart because people level at different speeds the head start thing is fairly significant.

Giving early access to people who pre-order would make it pretty tough for people who didn't to play with them.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10154 on: September 10, 2011, 08:31:03 PM

I like how you could take my most vitriolic post in this thread and I'd still say swtor would be a fun game.  If you ask some people here though Ive done nothing but troll the fuck out of this game.

You all might want to take a step back and breathe before posting. 

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10155 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:57 PM

Given that most groups of friends in MMOs fall apart because people level at different speeds the head start thing is fairly significant.

Giving early access to people who pre-order would make it pretty tough for people who didn't to play with them.

Alts.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #10156 on: September 10, 2011, 09:10:55 PM

But isn't there just one character per server?

Over and out.
koro
Terracotta Army

Reply #10157 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:02 PM

But isn't there just one character per server?

What? No. Eight per.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #10158 on: September 10, 2011, 09:34:06 PM

I like how you could take my most vitriolic post in this thread and I'd still say swtor would be a fun game.  If you ask some people here though Ive done nothing but troll the fuck out of this game.

Pfft, we have to get to 300 pages somehow.   awesome, for real
Ginaz
Terracotta Army

Reply #10159 on: September 10, 2011, 09:41:50 PM

Lantyssa, I say this with love. Don't buy the game. It could send the most mind blowing orgasms directly to your brain, and you will not like it. Because you have already firmly decided the whole thing is terrible. And that's fine, that's your opinion. But you'll regret buying it. So don't.

EDIT: Also, you know who hasn't pre-ordered yet? Me.  Ohhhhh, I see.

I don't think she's decided anything yet.  She just feels that there shouldn't be an NDA in place if they're going to ask people to pre-order.  Having played the game myself, I'm not worried about pre-ordering but I have a lot more info to base a decision on.  I can't say that I disagree with her but pre-orders like this seem to be the norm these days.  You can either wait for the game to release and see what the general consensus is or roll the dice and hope its worth it.  In her case, if she's that worried about wasting money, I would suggest waiting at least a few days after release to see if she wants to play or not.

Edit:  I do think calling it a "scam" is a bit much.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 09:43:59 PM by Ginaz »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #10160 on: September 10, 2011, 09:49:46 PM

Actually I haven't decided it's terrible.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a WoW-alike.  That is a negative, but I did play WoW off and on for years.  I'm sure I'll play it again one day.  What I don't know is if SWTOR is going to be a good or a bad WoW-rip.  There are a lot of things I've seen that put me off, that's true because they appear to be copying WoW and I'd prefer they didn't do that, but I haven't actually decided because I haven't gotten a chance to really see or know about the game in-depth.  I beta'd Rift and I thought it was a good game, despite trying to too hard to be like WoW in my opinion.  True I did not buy it, but I was still one of it's biggest supporters on f13 and would not have regretted a purchase because I had a chance to play the game and get a feel for the dev team.

The reason I sound so down on SWTOR is because I keep trying to explain why I have hesitations or what my concerns are, not because I've made up my mind.  But people keep focusing so intently on those concerns, so I keep trying to explain them, so it further blows them out of proportion.  No one can tell me if my concerns are unfounded or spot on because of the NDA.  To bring the personality thread into this, I'm a Type 6/5.  I want to know everything I possibly can about a situation before committing to it.  What I want to know isn't unreasonable or some State Secret, yet people keep defending the Holy NDA as if I've never seen a game in a beta state and it'd affect my decision.  Geezus.  I've beta'd half the MMOs in existence.  Even some of the collectively agreed upon shittiest ever produced because I felt they might have something worthwhile to learn from.

I just want to know what the fuck I'm buying if I put money down.  It's really that simple.  It's not some concerted effort on my part to hate the game and convince everyone else how terrible it is.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10161 on: September 10, 2011, 10:19:42 PM

The NDA being dropped isn't really going to tell you that. You'll get a bunch of jaded retards all expounding from the viewpoints of their own baggage. Much like the leak Q&As have been. What you really want is for you or some of the friends you intend to play with to get some testing time, the NDA really isn't the issue, yeah?
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10162 on: September 10, 2011, 10:46:51 PM

Lanty is just "bad mouthing" the game because she doesnt want it to be better than GW2.  why so serious?
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #10163 on: September 10, 2011, 11:50:30 PM

*Cleansing breath*
Nope. Still a troll.
*Cleansing breath*

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #10164 on: September 11, 2011, 12:09:10 AM

I just want to know what the fuck I'm buying if I put money down.
I believe in this case game preorders in general simply ain't for you. (although i quite agree with the sentiment personally, and for similar reasons don't really bother with preorders myself)
Mosesandstick
Terracotta Army

Reply #10165 on: September 11, 2011, 12:40:19 AM

Right, and I can't tell you due to the NDA. Get it now?

awesome, for real

If there wasn't an NDA, I think we would be discussing the sort of things Lantyssa wants, bias or no.
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #10166 on: September 11, 2011, 01:05:34 AM

True I did not buy it, but I was still one of it's biggest supporters on f13 and would not have regretted a purchase because I had a chance to play the game and get a feel for the dev team.

Well I'm sure Trion can take that to the bank  awesome, for real

And that's the bottom line, I don't see what Bioware (nay: EA) has to gain by giving you more and I'm pretty sure they don't see it either.
I doubt it's anything you don't know already, but the last phases of beta are more of a marketing tool than anything else for these games.

Seems to me Trion did what they did at least in part because they came out of nowhere with a AAA game and needed to quickly build a reputation and some word of mouth, not because they felt obliged to share out of some sense of decency.

If I had to guess the (awful?) truth is: there isn't anything important you don't already know, there's no big secret, the gameplay will feel familiar like an old (and slightly smelly) pair of sneakers.

The marketing of SWOR is by far the most impressive thing about it to me now (in a perverse sort of way), 'Bioware makes SW MMO' was always going to be a hypetrain, but the amount of fanboiism and hype they've spun out of WoW in space! (now with more voice!) is awe inspiring.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #10167 on: September 11, 2011, 01:33:35 AM

What I want to know isn't unreasonable or some State Secret, yet people keep defending the Holy NDA as if I've never seen a game in a beta state and it'd affect my decision.  Geezus.  I've beta'd half the MMOs in existence.  Even some of the collectively agreed upon shittiest ever produced because I felt they might have something worthwhile to learn from.

Your mistake is trying to reason with Star Wars fans. These are people who love Jar Jar, Midichlorians and a bunch of Teddy Ruxpins defeating the most powerful army in the universe by rolling logs at them.  awesome, for real

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #10168 on: September 11, 2011, 01:40:03 AM

Hey, some of us were rooting for that army!

*posts trooper gif again*

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #10169 on: September 11, 2011, 04:17:44 AM

I'm pretty sure it's going to be a WoW-alike.  That is a negative, but I did play WoW off and on for years.  I'm sure I'll play it again one day.  What I don't know is if SWTOR is going to be a good or a bad WoW-rip.  There are a lot of things I've seen that put me off, that's true because they appear to be copying WoW and I'd prefer they didn't do that, but I haven't actually decided because I haven't gotten a chance to really see or know about the game in-depth.  I beta'd Rift and I thought it was a good game, despite trying to too hard to be like WoW in my opinion.  True I did not buy it, but I was still one of it's biggest supporters on f13 and would not have regretted a purchase because I had a chance to play the game and get a feel for the dev team.

It sounds more to me like you want to beta it yourself than anything else. Which makes more sense to me, since some asshat telling me "this is the worst thing ever" or "this is the bestest system ever" simply isn't going to be as good as actually trying it yourself. Ever.

However, nearly every post of yours I've read on this topic, while I do get that you're just ... ah ... concerned, comes across as absolutely expecting the worst, it burns you like elven rope that it's going to be WoW-y, GW2 is going to do it so much better, etc. This is why I don't think you'll enjoy it. It has to overcome such a monumental amount of caution, shall we say, that I doubt very much it could ever scale it. You don't want to make hot, steamy love to BioWare games like I do, you're not particularly interested in a WoW-y game, and it's got a pretty rude box price for a game you're not really sold on (hell, even one you are). Like I said, I haven't pre-ordered, and I am (apparently) one of the "lol SW tards" about this game. I see nothing but bitter disappointment in your future if you do so.

And I'm one of the people that would like to play with you sometime! But I figure we'd both be happier doing it in GW2. :P

My own personal feeling on the NDA still being up is "meh." No one can tell me if I'll like playing it. Not really. Gameplay videos and shit never do anything for me, reading talent trees just makes me roll my own eyes up into my head in boredom. If I'm really unsure about a game, I just don't pre-order. I know MMOs can be a bit of a special case since no one wants to be level bullshit while their friends are level awesome, but I don't see a reason to even give half a fuck about pre-ordering when they don't even have a firm release date yet.

God Save the Horn Players
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #10170 on: September 11, 2011, 04:35:48 AM

The only thing that Bioware may be hiding is a couple of surprise systems, like the legacy system.  Other than that I can't see them hiding any OMGWTF things for this game.

The inevitable cash shop won't be discussed until last minute, maybe even post-launch.

But I don't know what I don't know. I'm not interested to go fishing around beta leak sites for SWOR for things that will possibly change anyway. Because my key interest - has BioWare got the combat mechanics working right? - won't be known until the game leaves beta and players have to start paying that $15 a month.

Also, I highly doubt that the NDA is being kept up to keep the story secret. BioWare could release the entire 30 000 page storyline tomorrow and it wouldn't change game sales one iota.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #10171 on: September 11, 2011, 08:22:40 AM

I beta'd Rift and I thought it was a good game, despite trying to too hard to be like WoW in my opinion.  True I did not buy it, but I was still one of it's biggest supporters on f13 and would not have regretted a purchase because I had a chance to play the game and get a feel for the dev team.
Who out of the group that was in alpha did buy it at release? Draegan? It's set up as a raider game, there wasn't a whole lot for anyone else if you played 1-50 once, let alone twice. It's a good game, but not aimed at my demographic. I'd hate to get into some extended test with TOR and have the same thing happen, I don't think it will be nearly as replayable as the hype (zomg fanboy alert).
Your mistake is trying to reason with Star Wars fans. These are people who love Jar Jar, Midichlorians and a bunch of Teddy Ruxpins defeating the most powerful army in the universe by rolling logs at them.  awesome, for real
Now see, that was a good troll.

But honestly, I'm reading the Old Republic books right now  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? All but one (so far) is better than the prequels. I figure - how much better is something like LotRO when you actually have a feel for what's going on, the lore and politics? Fatal Alliance is actually pretty damned good, which is SO REFRESHING after the abortion that was Kemp's book. Not a ton of Old Republic books out, so I'll probably finish these up and hit the Bounty Hunter trilogy (playing a BH) and skip other EU stuff.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #10172 on: September 11, 2011, 08:59:50 AM

If only LotRO had some kind of good source material for lore so people could get into the game.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10173 on: September 11, 2011, 09:29:20 AM

Ok. I have to be careful what I say because I'm in the beta. As usual I can confirm I still have my preorder and I'm a dork and have a collector's edition even.

Now, as to Lantyssa's point it's pretty easily solved to me. Preorder it from Amazon. When the NDA drops, if you don't like what you see, cancel the preorder. You're not even out $5 but you have the preorder just in case.

I wouldn't be surprised if the NDA drops in late October or maybe early November. I don't have any insider knowledge, it's just a guess.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10174 on: September 11, 2011, 09:36:02 AM

If only LotRO had some kind of good source material for lore so people could get into the game.

You're still a pretty fucking terrible troll.  You're as subtle as an atomic bomb.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #10175 on: September 11, 2011, 09:44:03 AM

I don't get the irrational TOR-hate.  The trolls are far closer to edge than any of the so-called fanboys in this thread. Oh well, at least he's straight-forward. It's better than the "Oh dear! I just may not be able to bring myself to play this game!" concern trolling I suppose.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10176 on: September 11, 2011, 09:53:47 AM

Now, as to Lantyssa's point it's pretty easily solved to me. Preorder it from Amazon. When the NDA drops, if you don't like what you see, cancel the preorder. You're not even out $5 but you have the preorder just in case.

Better solution:

Don't preorder. Buy it when released. Or don't.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #10177 on: September 11, 2011, 10:20:58 AM

Hand-wringing over pre-ordering is about retarded.  I watched the Sith Inquisitor video and he used the same ability (lightning) over and over and I didn't see him swing his lightsaber once. 

It didn't look fun.

That's whats got me wringing MY hands.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #10178 on: September 11, 2011, 10:33:16 AM

Better solution:

Don't preorder. Buy it when released. Or don't.

That works too. She seems to be wavering about preordering explicitly so she is guranteed she can play with her friends. That's why I suggested my solution.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10179 on: September 11, 2011, 10:45:41 AM

Am I allowed to LOL when the NDA drops, people end up liking it and go out to pre-order, only to find out there's no pre-orders left because they want to load-balance things at launch?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10180 on: September 11, 2011, 10:46:33 AM

Hand-wringing over pre-ordering is about retarded.  I watched the Sith Inquisitor video and he used the same ability (lightning) over and over and I didn't see him swing his lightsaber once. 

It didn't look fun.

Jedi Sages and Sith Inquisitors are casters like mages.  So it's like any other caster in an mmo.

Am I allowed to LOL when the NDA drops, people end up liking it and go out to pre-order, only to find out there's no pre-orders left because they want to load-balance things at launch?   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

I'll be laughing right with you.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10181 on: September 11, 2011, 10:58:19 AM

Hand-wringing over pre-ordering is about retarded.  I watched the Sith Inquisitor video and he used the same ability (lightning) over and over and I didn't see him swing his lightsaber once.  

It didn't look fun.

Jedi Sages and Sith Inquisitors are casters like mages.  So it's like any other caster in an mmo.

Other clips I've seen have them using their saber for deflecting blasters and stuff.  They still get some saber skills, but yeah, they're casters through and through.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #10182 on: September 11, 2011, 11:04:25 AM

Other clips I've seen have them using their saber for deflecting blasters and stuff.  They still get some saber skills, but yeah, they're casters through and through.

Don't they both have a melee DPS AC or has that been changed? I was planning on playing one caster and one melee if I roll one on either side.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #10183 on: September 11, 2011, 11:06:02 AM

Don't they both have a melee DPS AC or has that been changed? I was planning on playing one caster and one melee if I roll one on either side.

Yes, the caster role is one AC for them.  The other is a stealth Rogue or tank, depending on how you invest talents.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #10184 on: September 11, 2011, 11:19:14 AM

Why would you go out to preorder at this stage? Or at any stage?

It is not likely that having a head start of a few days is going to impact your life choices or long term happiness to any measurable degree.

Just say no to pre-order bullshit.

Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: