Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:40:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102158 times)
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #9765 on: August 31, 2011, 08:50:36 AM

Really the problem I have with that personally is, without the lines sitting there for you, there are lines I will never know about because I would never pick it. I am terrible at being a renegade, for example, so most of those lines are wasted. At least the douchebag asshole lines in DA:O, I read, even if I never picked them. If that makes sense.
Yup, it does. Reading the lines i could say is big part of enjoyment i get out of the RPG dialogue. Which is why the whole paraphrasing thing is pretty meh for me. I don't want to replay the whole thing just to see the alternatives swamp poop
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #9766 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:24 PM

Really the problem I have with that personally is, without the lines sitting there for you, there are lines I will never know about because I would never pick it. I am terrible at being a renegade, for example, so most of those lines are wasted. At least the douchebag asshole lines in DA:O, I read, even if I never picked them. If that makes sense.
Yup, it does. Reading the lines i could say is big part of enjoyment i get out of the RPG dialogue. Which is why the whole paraphrasing thing is pretty meh for me. I don't want to replay the whole thing just to see the alternatives swamp poop

Yeah,but,sadly,this is a key area where the developers' reward mechanisms diverge widely between a subscription game and a packaged solo game.   

With the solo game, the developer already has all the money he is going to get from you for that content.  So the more enjoyment you get from that content the better, no matter how long it takes you to consume it, being alll at once in a single pass or in multiple passes to savor each posibble tree.

But in a subscription game, there is constant pressure to maximize the amount of calendar time it takes you to consume a given amount of content.  Shortcuts that let you consume what was inteded to be separate pieces of content in a single pass, like alternate story lines or conversation trees are amathema to the suits managing a subscription game and will tend to be purged with fire to the extent that  said managers actually understand the game they are developing well enough to recognize such shortcuts for what they are.
sadly, too often the choice goes towards maximizing the time it takes to consume content over maximizing the fun you get out of the contect.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9767 on: August 31, 2011, 12:49:32 PM

20 pages to go

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9768 on: August 31, 2011, 12:54:05 PM

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9769 on: August 31, 2011, 01:06:00 PM

Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #9770 on: August 31, 2011, 01:41:22 PM

A disturbance in the force tells me they have begun to send out emails for the weekend beta, or I have gas
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9771 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:47 PM

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9772 on: August 31, 2011, 02:14:45 PM

Win.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #9773 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:16 PM

Nice I get to be all  NDA now.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9774 on: August 31, 2011, 03:43:19 PM

Shaking fist

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #9775 on: August 31, 2011, 03:48:04 PM

Shaking fist

------------  (Console) 
-------------  -----------  (Point and laugh)
                  ------------  (Headslam) 

-Rasix
schild
Administrator

Reply #9776 on: August 31, 2011, 04:23:16 PM

Part of the Problem:
The lot of you.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #9777 on: August 31, 2011, 05:38:33 PM

Awww, the MMO love has gotten to Schild's sensitive bits.  why so serious?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9778 on: August 31, 2011, 05:55:37 PM

I'm surprised it took so long for Schild to show up. Somebody said twitch like three pages ago.  why so serious?
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #9779 on: August 31, 2011, 06:20:31 PM

Part of the Problem:
The lot of you.

You should check out the Politics forum!  why so serious?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9780 on: August 31, 2011, 06:22:43 PM

He's just spreading the love while reminding us it's time to donate!

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #9781 on: August 31, 2011, 08:08:40 PM

Part of the Problem:
The lot of you.

We only salivate when the bell rings.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #9782 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:46 PM

At least he didn't remind us that it is Bioware Austin

Except now that I just did!

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #9783 on: September 01, 2011, 05:26:23 AM

At least he didn't remind us that it is Bioware Austin

Except now that I just did!

Welp... There goes the neighborhood.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #9784 on: September 01, 2011, 06:57:30 AM

He's just spreading the love while reminding us it's time to donate!
I am in no way above taking donations for this website from a bunch of people with bad taste. A mess of folks here like Joss Whedon also, they can donate too.

Awww, the MMO love has gotten to Schild's sensitive bits.

It's not the MMO Love, it's the hypocrisy. Everyone saw the writing on the wall when Mythic was bought by the same company that is making SWTOR. When the 100+ contractors (many of whom are designers, etc - not QA) get laid off after spending years in a mismanaged mess to create a WoW clone with more dialogue, bigger chins, and less innovation than nearly everything between it and WoW - yes, a bunch of people that know the history of MMOGs and EA swooning over such a product can get to my sensitive bits.

I would, in fact, describe it as "flagrantly disgusting."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9785 on: September 01, 2011, 07:09:33 AM

Soo...fucking be there?

Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9786 on: September 01, 2011, 07:48:54 AM

I just like the people are holding star wars to such a high standard in...storytelling.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #9787 on: September 01, 2011, 08:22:10 AM

Heeey, I got to play the "Battle for Gilneas Aldreraan" PvP area, last weekend. Nothing quite like waiting 1.5 hrs to jump on a PC and start playing a MMO you know very little about in a PvP arena.

Having said that - it was fun. I would do it again.

We actually went to the SWtoR panel and they sure didn't reveal much other than 'there are PvP servers, PvP planets, and PvP instances' and that to get PvP gear you needed two different types of commendations. Then someone started asking why there wasn't better face modifcation tools in the character creator and I left. The best part was he started his question by say 'I've been asking this for the last couple years...' before even launching into his long winded question and one of the Devs goes 'The answer is the same as last year'.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #9788 on: September 01, 2011, 08:34:55 AM

Well then, I'm glad we left early that morning to beat the border rush. I skipped the lines to play it as well, considering you could watch over people's shoulders and it looked to be the same demos they had been running at every other show.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #9789 on: September 01, 2011, 01:32:51 PM

"bigger chins"   awesome, for real

I like to think I have few illusions about this title, and I'm paying for the sharred disappointment and fun of discovering all the problems with folks here (and in the zeitgeist).  

I'll be happy if I get 30+ hrs out of it before the "need Jabba's Crystal to unlock X"  or the collect_100_Jedi_Wampum for a "good" lightsaber drives me off.  It'll be the same ole economy-sim like every other MMO.  Just with chinny voiceovers.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #9790 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:06 PM

It's going to be horrible. I just know it!  If I hadn't already foolishly preordered I could just do the sensible thing and stick to innovative and groundbreaking Facebook games.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9791 on: September 01, 2011, 02:44:41 PM

Mythic was fucked long before it was bought by EA.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #9792 on: September 01, 2011, 02:51:18 PM

It's not the MMO Love, it's the hypocrisy. Everyone saw the writing on the wall when Mythic was bought by the same company that is making SWTOR.

Didn't you buy the Collector's Edition of WAR?  I wish Steam saved chat logs, because I remember you hyping it up just prior to launch.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #9793 on: September 01, 2011, 02:55:04 PM

It's Star Wars, I was doomed aeons ago to a purchase regardless of it sucking or not, just to check it out.

Tomorrow being Friday I'm giving up hope of this "Beta Weekend" thing now.  So sad.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9794 on: September 01, 2011, 03:16:23 PM

Left Axe.  'Nuff said  swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9795 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:11 PM

I'm only playing it because its new star wars, and, many of my friends are going to be playing. Who knows how long i will last. Im so burned out on this type of combat system. But that's me. I fully expect to pine for SWG sandboxness and be sad about this type of combat. Hopefully the missions are cool.

I would totally pick up star trek online if not for this title. The "shootery" mode is at least entertaining.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9796 on: September 01, 2011, 03:23:11 PM

Left Axe.  'Nuff said  swamp poop swamp poop swamp poop

DoubleFrost math  awesome, for real

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #9797 on: September 01, 2011, 03:23:45 PM

I was told there would be no math.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9798 on: September 01, 2011, 03:27:14 PM

So was Mythic.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #9799 on: September 01, 2011, 03:46:08 PM

Pages: 1 ... 278 279 [280] 281 282 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: