Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:33:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102155 times)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8995 on: August 10, 2011, 01:17:39 PM

It looks to me like some people getting butt hurt
I'm sure it does, sweetheart.
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8996 on: August 10, 2011, 01:23:04 PM

Uh, most servers are PvE servers across most games. ( Still include arena type stuff though ).

Comparing what the rulesets are called without looking at their content isn't terribly useful.  A lot of older titles' PvP servers were borderline-FFA.  WoW's PvP servers are pretty much the same as the PvE ones with some fights every once in a while.  As a result, they're not dramatically less popular (-25% to -35%) and that's without counting all of the PvE servers' players that enjoy Arenas or the occasional Battleground.

I don't expect any game with a lot of money behind it to run with a bullet point of "Has little to no player versus player content!" and so players are going to expect it to be fun, functional, and well supported.  And that means annoying players like Paelos, overfitting, or being generically inelegant.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:24:48 PM by caladein »

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8997 on: August 10, 2011, 01:31:36 PM

No open world PvP = PvE.

Open world PvP = PvP.

"Battle grounds" are irrelevant, as the are ignorable and contained and exist on both types, many even use entirely contained stats, gear and progression.

WoW's PvP servers are pretty much the same as the PvE ones with some fights every once in a while.

Not even the slightest. Quest hubs do not get wiped out on PvE servers.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:43:32 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8998 on: August 10, 2011, 01:40:13 PM

No open world PvP = PvE.

Open world PvP = A general clusterfuck.

Sorted.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8999 on: August 10, 2011, 01:41:30 PM

Where does voluntarily perma-flagging on a PvE server fit into this discussion?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9000 on: August 10, 2011, 01:42:25 PM

Where does voluntarily perma-flagging on a PvE server fit into this discussion?

Its an opt-in like arenas.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9001 on: August 10, 2011, 01:43:41 PM

"Battle grounds" are irrelevant, as the are ignorable and contained and exist on both types, many even use entirely contained stats, gear and progression.

You're just ignoring Sky's point by saying that.   He doesn't want his PvE fucked up by PvP balancing.   Battlegrounds being extremely popular will certainly fuck up PvE with PvP balancing even if 90% of the servers are PvE servers.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9002 on: August 10, 2011, 01:45:42 PM

No, I'm not ignoring his point. I am correcting your assertion. Because a PvE rule set has a battleground does not make it a PvP server. More games have been moving away from them even using the same numbers and progression.

While some may choose a PvE server, and still like PvP, I can guarantee they are there mostly for the Pve, and do not want some leet dude fucking up the PvE game they are playing, UNTIL THEY WANT IT in a segragated, op-in area that has jack all to do with the rest of the game.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:47:29 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9003 on: August 10, 2011, 01:47:59 PM

No, I'm not ignoring his point. I am correcting your assertion.

How exactly are you correcting my assertion that PvP as an activity is popular?
Crumbs
Terracotta Army

Reply #9004 on: August 10, 2011, 01:48:20 PM

You're just ignoring Sky's point by saying that.   He doesn't want his PvE fucked up by PvP balancing.   Battlegrounds being extremely popular will certainly fuck up PvE with PvP balancing even if 90% of the servers are PvE servers.

It will until someone finally realizes PVP should be entirely separate from the PVE game.  Not hard.  Rift took a step in this direction, and hopefully some brave company will go all the way.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #9005 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:10 PM

No, I'm not ignoring his point. I am correcting your assertion.

How exactly are you correcting my assertion that PvP as an activity is popular?

Because pretty much every game that's tried to focus on it gets hamstrung by it's inherent stupidity in the MMO format?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9006 on: August 10, 2011, 01:50:18 PM

No, I'm not ignoring his point. I am correcting your assertion. Because a PvE rule set has a battleground does not make it a PvP server. More games have been moving away from them even using the same numbers and progression.

While some may choose a PvE server, and still like PvP, I can guarantee they are there mostly for the Pve, and do not want some leet dude fucking up the PvE game they are playing, UNTIL THEY WANT IT in a segragated, op-in area that has jack all to do with the rest of the game.

The point isn't that you the PvE player can or can't ignore PvP, it's that the developers can't (or don't).  Even in having only that purely opt-in setting, players like Paelos don't like it when their gameplay is changed/worsened to improve PvP.

"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9007 on: August 10, 2011, 01:53:00 PM

I got skys point, and I fully agree. The problem I have is muddling the terms PvP and PvE as they relate to server rule sets and popularity.

By Amaron definition of PvE, they are ALL PvP servers. He made ZERO mention of battlegrounds until later.

Because pretty much every game that's tried to focus on it gets hamstrung by it's inherent stupidity in the MMO format?

I wont go that far, but I agree, the RPG MMO combat system is a silly concept to base PvP around. That's not to say ALL MMO's have stupid PvP, or that for some, winning by gear isn't fun.

[Here we come 300!]

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:56:57 PM by Mrbloodworth »

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9008 on: August 10, 2011, 01:57:38 PM

Ok I'm confused where we are at now so I'm going to summarize what I think is going on please correct my confusion:

1)  Sky says lets remove PvP ENTIRELY from PvE mmo's.  He doesn't want it to exist because then the designers will fuck up the PvE.
2)  I say not going to happen in a game shooting for 1mil+ subs because a lot of people want to at least PvP a little.
3)  Bloodworth comes out of nowhere and says PvE servers are more popular. (uhh okay?)
4)  Talk about how people on PvE servers still PvP.
5)  Somehow people start talking about whether or not PvP is more popular. (uhh why?)
6)  Everyone forgets the original point.

I never once even remotely discussed "focusing" on PvP.   I have only said that people who want to PvP once in a blue moon outnumber "PvE purists" (which is fairly ambiguous I admit).

By Amaron definition of PvE, they are ALL PvP servers. He made ZERO mention of battlegrounds until later.

I am still confused how we got on servers and where I said anything even remotely like that.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:01:56 PM by Amaron »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #9009 on: August 10, 2011, 02:00:21 PM

I got skys point, and I fully agree. The problem I have is muddling the terms PvP and PvE as they relate to server rule sets and popularity.

You're the one that brought up servers and rulesets!

E: As an aside, a version of 5, that PvP is sufficiently (not more) popular, is why 2 is correct.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 02:03:02 PM by caladein »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9010 on: August 10, 2011, 02:00:32 PM

When you say "PvP", with out specifying battlegrounds or arenas, you imply open world. Server types are set by open world activities.

You're the one that brought up servers and rulesets!

I did indeed.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9011 on: August 10, 2011, 02:02:51 PM

When you say "PvP", with out specifying battlegrounds or arenas, you imply open world. Server types are set by open world activities.

Nooooo.   When I say PvP I imply Player versus Player.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #9012 on: August 10, 2011, 02:03:36 PM

Nooooo.   When I say PvP I imply Player versus Player.

Which is not as popular as PvE.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9013 on: August 10, 2011, 02:04:15 PM

Nooooo.   When I say PvP I imply Player versus Player.

Witch is not as popular as PvE.

Agreed.  I never said it was more popular.

edit: Ha caught your ninja edit there!
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #9014 on: August 10, 2011, 03:00:07 PM

I could see some interesting PvP in SWTOR built around the idea of Battlezones that normalized everyone's stats and gear (on both sides) and reduced or removed CC. Winning a Battlezone contest would give you some benefit or boost in your PvE game, but not vice versa.

I was one of those players who absolutely abhorred PvP in the MMOs I'd played. The first game to really change my mind about it was WAR -- specifically the Tier 1 Battlegrounds. It was some of the most fun I'd had in an MMO -- especially when I could play in a Battleground PUG and sometimes we'd actually work together and have fun even if we lost (as opposed to just getting rolled over and over because too many on the "team" were really just flying solo).

Looking back, I think the Tier 1 Battlegrounds were enjoyable PvP mostly because no one had (or needed to have) any unbalancing stat-buffing gear AND that classes on both sides had relatively comparable powers with little to no CC. After Tier 1 things fell apart until, by Tier 4, fights became merely gear- and Renown Rank centric, and of course had a ton of varying PvE CC abilities that drained the fun from PvP fights.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9015 on: August 10, 2011, 03:31:17 PM

They do sometimes, actually.

God Save the Horn Players
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #9016 on: August 10, 2011, 03:33:52 PM

I've seen it happen plenty of times in WoW.  Griffons are ever popular targets, too.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9017 on: August 10, 2011, 04:00:11 PM

How do you reach that conclusion?

Someone saying they like PVP doesn't mean they want a FFA gankfest by default.

Should we say people who like PVE all want 100 man raid encounters too?  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9018 on: August 10, 2011, 04:18:32 PM

I never once even remotely discussed "focusing" on PvP.   I have only said that people who want to PvP once in a blue moon outnumber "PvE purists" (which is fairly ambiguous I admit).

Way to make a stand on that argument.   swamp poop

People who sorta don't give a shit always outnumber people who are hardliner on anything.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #9019 on: August 10, 2011, 04:38:57 PM

Way to make a stand on that argument.   swamp poop

I'm glad you heavily agree that my original comment wasn't a tower of controversy despite Bloodworth shipwrecking it into a PvE vs PvP pissing contest.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9020 on: August 10, 2011, 05:08:03 PM

Well I think we started with something good, and now we've whittled it down so much it's a wonder why you even bothered.

Go big or go home. Chicks dig the long ball. TITS OR GTFO!

Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9021 on: August 10, 2011, 06:56:35 PM

You guys are funny.  why so serious?

- Viin
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #9022 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:34 PM

Sky may have been joking about removing pvp from pve games. Because Sky thinks players should be able to have as many playstyles supported as possible, without negatively impacting other playstyles. Actual pvp is something I will take part in occasionally on a pve server, it does not negatively impact my gameplay as a solo casual as much as, say, the obsessive need of raiders to hoard all the good toys.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

My point, which was probably a few pages ago at this point, is that abilities need to affect players and npcs differently, so you're not negatively impacting my pve experience because 1337 pvp guild is abusing some ability and ruining everyone's day and it needs a nerfin'. Two COMPLETELY different games, geared differently, spec'd differently, played differently.

Maybe I wasn't joking about removing pvp. Ask me again tomorrow.

ETA:
2)  I say not going to happen in a game shooting for 1mil+ subs because a lot of people want to at least PvP a little.

I never once even remotely discussed "focusing" on PvP.   I have only said that people who want to PvP once in a blue moon outnumber "PvE purists" (which is fairly ambiguous I admit).
I'd say folks who mostly enjoy pve would rather have a solid pve experience without pvp rather than having a half-assed version of both.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 07:19:46 PM by Sky »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #9023 on: August 10, 2011, 07:18:06 PM

I wasn't joking. Diku pvp has done more damage to gamers than Hot Pockets. Dump it.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #9024 on: August 10, 2011, 07:39:34 PM

It sort of makes me kinda surprised that Mythic, Mythic is the only company that seemed to do PvP right for me ... or at least right enough. I guess it helped that the PvE was so shit-tastic, that if you were there for the PvE you were clearly insane and thus easily ignored, so if a PvP nerf happened to mess something up in PvE, no one really cared.

This is talking about DAoC of course. WAR is just ... sigh.

God Save the Horn Players
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #9025 on: August 10, 2011, 07:53:02 PM

I wasn't joking. Diku pvp has done more damage to gamers than Hot Pockets. Dump it.

I think you are right - taking a PvE game and then introducing a PvP element (such as battlegrounds) creates a nearly impossible balancing task, and both PvE and PvP play suffer because of it. The only way to mix the two would be to actually make them separate in practice (pvp gear in pvp matches only, etc).

Edit: though I will say EVE handles this well, mostly because it recognizes it is a PvP game and adds some PvE elements for the carebears rather than the other way around.

- Viin
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #9026 on: August 10, 2011, 08:14:38 PM

I think what's funny is that somehow you are going on battlegrounds being popular as a fact. I would say less than 20% of wow subscribers actively pvp for fun, more probably for the loot.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #9027 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23:31 PM

EVE doesn't handle it at all, shit lands where it lands and everyone gets to deal or quit.  why so serious?

The way you handle the mix is design for PvP first then work PvE around your PvP abilities. It's waaaaay easier to adjust mob health/attack/abilities then it is to adjust player ones. You never have to worry about your mobs combining two abilities that on paper don't seem to compliment each other but in practice break the game.  awesome, for real

Separating your PvP and PvE environments is also a very good idea. Even on a PvE server in say WoW, you'll still get people killing NPCs in town, flight masters and what have you, in zones where the natural inhabitants can't fight back due to level differences and shit. You get stupid pvp flagging shenanigans and either Over Powered or useless guards.

You know how many times I had to deal with that in DaoC? Zero times! The PvE area's were completely locked away from the PvP areas, players from opposing realms just couldn't enter those areas, the end. It wasn't a safe zone for lowbies, it was a entire PvE game area, newb to cap. It wasn't mixed in with each other either, where you had sporadic pvp zones inside pve areas or whatever. You had your Realm's continent, this half was for PvE, then a giant wall and the other half was for PvP with all the castles and relics and whatnot going on and where the other realms could invade and you could invade their pvp frontiers in turn.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #9028 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:00 PM

DAoC was built with PvP as an endgame from the very beginning, though. For all their inability to police the rampant cheating and botting on their servers, Mythic created a DIKU MMO environment the right goddamn way round. I have never, ever experienced MMO PvP to rival DAoC, not in the near 10 years since I first got into proper MMOs; simply no other game out there has come even remotely close.
I cannot stand WoW PvP. It's a horrible joke that invades and pollutes the PvE game. I'd rather SWtOR never suffered or caused me to suffer the indignities of a terrible, after-the-fact tacked on PvP system. Or worse, nag me constantly about getting into it when I'd rather slam sensitive parts of my body in the fridge door. But I know that's a whole lot of wishful thinking, and a great deal of assumption on my part about the competence of the devs to do it right or not; having not played the game yet it's pure conjecture coated with despair over the situation in WoW.
Maybe Bioware will do the impossible and present a game where PvP and PvE can work together.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #9029 on: August 10, 2011, 08:42:11 PM

Lotro pvp combat is not horrid.

Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: