Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:15:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102084 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8785 on: August 04, 2011, 01:05:49 PM

Are races considered gameplay features? They still haven't announced the last race, though it's not exactly a reveal at this point. Also, they haven't formally announced the companion AI system.

It's a cyborg isn't it?  It was confirmed denied confirmed denied back and forth.  It's probably Cyborg.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8786 on: August 04, 2011, 01:31:01 PM

I've been watching more and more of the videos they release. The force "tear shit out of the ground and toss it" ability is fucking obnoxious when I see it happen 10 times in a sample video. It looks way too out of place and ridiculous. They need to rethink how stupid it looks when you see it over and over and over and over and over.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8787 on: August 04, 2011, 01:33:07 PM

It probably sucks as an ability and you just won't use it that often.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8788 on: August 04, 2011, 01:35:12 PM

Are races considered gameplay features? They still haven't announced the last race, though it's not exactly a reveal at this point. Also, they haven't formally announced the companion AI system.

It's a cyborg isn't it?  It was confirmed denied confirmed denied back and forth.  It's probably Cyborg.

At some point we'll stop beating around the bush that the Cake exists and we'll just talk about things openly...at some point...

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8789 on: August 04, 2011, 01:45:46 PM

No, we won't. You don't want to taunt the happy fun Trippy.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #8790 on: August 04, 2011, 02:05:45 PM

Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Sobelius
Terracotta Army

Reply #8791 on: August 04, 2011, 02:42:38 PM

I've been watching more and more of the videos they release. The force "tear shit out of the ground and toss it" ability is fucking obnoxious when I see it happen 10 times in a sample video. It looks way too out of place and ridiculous. They need to rethink how stupid it looks when you see it over and over and over and over and over.

You've got a point. This kind of visual tedium existed in CoX's telekinesis powers. It might have been more interesting in SWTOR to have environment objects made movable by such powers, so that the objects could come from anywhere within a specific random distance/direciton relative to the toon. There may be non-trivial issues with implementing such a system of course, but it would keep the visual aspect, if not fresh, at least relevant to the environment. Nothing more immersion-breaking than seeing someone pull a piece of engine junk out of the floor of a starship.

"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
"A world without Vin Diesel is sad." -- me
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8792 on: August 04, 2011, 02:48:26 PM

Such theatrics would require them to position destructible crap on almost every inch of the game.  As if this things won't already have enough bloat...I'll settle for just being able to rip stuff at random out of the ground and then having that ground from whence something large just came up from magically heal itself and disappear than have people cry that their power doesn't work since there's nothing destructible nearby or that there's so much crap it bogs down the client/server.   why so serious?

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8793 on: August 04, 2011, 02:49:10 PM

Not sure why it wasn't just part of the level design. Everything is instanced right?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8794 on: August 04, 2011, 02:56:12 PM

"Hey, Joe why don't we design the levels so this one spell isn't so immersion breaking? I mean shit, all it would be is a handful of destructible objects as well as the accompanying code to fling them around.  For one spell, please, the nerds are saying things. "

"Get the fuck out of here, Phil. Don't ever bring that up again or you'll be in QA by the end of the week."

-Rasix
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8795 on: August 04, 2011, 02:58:57 PM

Just have a dozen different objects being pulled out of the ground instead of an endless supply of oil tanks and it would be fine. Like CoH.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Rasix

Reply #8796 on: August 04, 2011, 03:02:15 PM

I just don't see it as something they're going to try to implement during crunch time, which they probably most certainly are in.  But yes, that would be a more ideal implementation. 

-Rasix
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #8797 on: August 04, 2011, 03:04:29 PM

Couldn't you say that about most polish? 

"Me am play gods"
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8798 on: August 04, 2011, 03:05:35 PM

Couldn't you say that about most polish? 

Not at all. Not all polish takes the same amount of time or has the same total benefit in the end. Polishing is about identifying the things you can do most easily that will be the biggest improvement.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8799 on: August 04, 2011, 03:11:07 PM

"Hey, Joe why don't we design the levels so this one spell isn't so immersion breaking? I mean shit, all it would be is a handful of destructible objects as well as the accompanying code to fling them around.  For one spell, please, the nerds are saying things. "

"Get the fuck out of here, Phil. Don't ever bring that up again or you'll be in QA by the end of the week."

Uh, just a handful of dynamically placed objects per level. Not destructible objects.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8800 on: August 04, 2011, 05:30:48 PM

Nothing more immersion-breaking than seeing someone pull a piece of engine junk out of the floor of a starship.
How about just changing to some kind of force energy ball or something? Oil tanks, heh.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #8801 on: August 04, 2011, 05:34:12 PM

They should just make it a generic slab of material, like the thing Juggernaut would pull out of the ground in the Capcom fighting games.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8802 on: August 04, 2011, 05:35:51 PM

Or, and I know this is a totally revolutionary concept...

How about not having the Jedi toss random shit at all? From anywhere. Ever.

SHOCK AND AWE!

Ohhhhh, I see.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8803 on: August 04, 2011, 05:40:36 PM

Or, and I know this is a totally revolutionary concept...

How about not having the Jedi toss random shit at all? From anywhere. Ever.

SHOCK AND AWE!

Ohhhhh, I see.

Don't make me destroy you...

...with an onslaught of YouTube videos from the six movies showing numerous occasions where random shit got force chucked.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8804 on: August 04, 2011, 06:06:27 PM

Pfft, Trooper armor is capable of exposure to vacuum.  why so serious?

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8805 on: August 04, 2011, 06:09:45 PM

It seems fairly obvious the way to make everyone happy is to turn the controversial ability into Ewok Toss.
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #8806 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:44 PM

It seems fairly obvious the way to make everyone happy is to turn the controversial ability into Ewok Toss.
Change we can believe in.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8807 on: August 04, 2011, 07:02:38 PM

You've got a point. This kind of visual tedium existed in CoX's telekinesis powers. It might have been more interesting in SWTOR to have environment objects made movable by such powers, so that the objects could come from anywhere within a specific random distance/direciton relative to the toon. There may be non-trivial issues with implementing such a system of course, but it would keep the visual aspect, if not fresh, at least relevant to the environment. Nothing more immersion-breaking than seeing someone pull a piece of engine junk out of the floor of a starship.

DCUO's telekinesis powers had the player able to pull destructible objects from the environment (e.g. cars, machinery) and throw it at people. What wasn't fun was seeing those items get stuck in other objects, or see that thrown object bounce off something else and miss your target completely.

Great idea, but 'real' TK is a pain in the arse to use (also thinking of BioShock's TK plasmid, which had similar issues and was really just a way to grab objects out of reach). Magic items from out of a pocket dimension is a much better mechanic since it works 100% of the time, not just when the area you enter just happens to have 8 loosely bolted down objects spaced the right distance apart to use TK on them.

As for immersion: it's the Force giving you those objects from nowhere, because that's how the Force rolls.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #8808 on: August 04, 2011, 07:06:52 PM

Or just have shit fly in from off-camera when Force Chuck Shit is cast. Not like it needs to look the same on everyone's screen. Anyway throwing things with the Force is less cool when you know you're gonna be going Throw Throw Lightning Slash Throw like a robot for an hour at a time while some retard running a mod screams at you for not going Throw Slash Lightning Throw Throw thus slowing down the run by 0.003%.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Rasix

Reply #8809 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:17 PM

That's going to break my immersion when I'm in an urban or desert environment.  Then it needs to change into Jawa Toss.

-Rasix
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8810 on: August 04, 2011, 07:48:05 PM

Or just have shit fly in from off-camera when Force Chuck Shit is cast. Not like it needs to look the same on everyone's screen. Anyway throwing things with the Force is less cool when you know you're gonna be going Throw Throw Lightning Slash Throw like a robot for an hour at a time while some retard running a mod screams at you for not going Throw Slash Lightning Throw Throw thus slowing down the run by 0.003%.

GOD DAMN IT YOU'RE AN IDIOT HOW DID YOU EVEN GET INTO THE JEDI ACADEMY IN THE FIRST PLACE WITH THAT SHIT ROTATION?!?!?!?!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8811 on: August 04, 2011, 09:01:26 PM

To me, polish has always been about little things I never would have expected to see but did, like the zombie fish they added to undead zones in cataclysm.  It could be easy to code or hard but it's moments where I go "wow, that was pretty cool" that really make me love a game.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8812 on: August 04, 2011, 09:13:50 PM

Isn't that Fluff?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8813 on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:26 AM

They are very nearly the same thing but I think polish is the little details that take what are mechanically good, smooth running games and make them great.  Making a game that runs excellent is not unheard of, you can polish game mechanics until they shine and the game can still feel soulless and bland.  So when I see the term polish in games I don't think of it as just making one facet like combat great, I think of all theorems touches and details that make it stand out.

When you polish a car you aren't touching the engine, you're just making the body sparkle.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8814 on: August 05, 2011, 05:08:13 AM

Polish isn't about gameplay very often.   Usually it's about fixing extraneous problems like important UI details being green or making sure you're fucking Worgen race doesn't drive everyone nuts with it's shitty snuffling noise.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8815 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:17 AM

I just know I'm going to be sitting in a group, tanking something on a Sith Warrior by hacking at it a million times with my lightsaber while watching 3 oil tanks fly by my head every 15 seconds.

In raids it will be 5 oil tanks. It'll create a new form of aggro management. Oil tanking.

Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8816 on: August 05, 2011, 06:31:34 AM

Oil tanking sounds dirty.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8817 on: August 05, 2011, 06:35:49 AM

Oil tanking sounds dirty.

Do you have any grease?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #8818 on: August 05, 2011, 06:51:38 AM

I did not want to see your slick willy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8819 on: August 05, 2011, 06:56:38 AM

I did not want to see your slick willy.

Is it bad that I only clicked the spoiler AFTER reading this post?
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: