Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:04:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2100255 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #8715 on: August 01, 2011, 07:39:34 PM

Pretty sure the one-two of the NDA and release date will push this way past 300. Maybe we should aim for 400.

If EA announce that SWOR is launching at anywhere over $15 a month, I suspect this thread could go over 9000.

*outdatedmeme5*

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #8716 on: August 01, 2011, 08:10:25 PM

what's the latest speculation on when this will go live?
Tearofsoul
Terracotta Army

Reply #8717 on: August 01, 2011, 09:40:37 PM

Nov
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #8718 on: August 02, 2011, 02:34:28 AM

You guys are expecting $20 / month; I think it'll be $40.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8719 on: August 02, 2011, 02:54:30 AM

$20 a month is a no-go for me, unless some EA intern is sent to my house on the 1st of every month to deliver a blow job prior to picking up the money.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #8720 on: August 02, 2011, 03:02:34 AM

I doubt that EA would risk going to a 20 dollar a month model on this big of a game.  I think most companies are gonna see who is brave/stupid enough to make that leap.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8721 on: August 02, 2011, 03:39:32 AM

Maybe they'll price it at $10 for the first character and extra $5 for every one after that  why so serious?
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8722 on: August 02, 2011, 05:22:50 AM

$20 a month is a no-go for me, unless some EA intern is sent to my house on the 1st of every month to deliver a blow job prior to picking up the money.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8723 on: August 02, 2011, 07:02:12 AM

How dare a subscription service adjust for inflation. Why, in my day we paid a SHINY QUARTER for our online worlds and WE FUCKING LIKED IT. Also, I lost my leg in the pvp so you goddamned hippy kids could sit around in yer pve server so don't you goddamned complain about some nancy boy bullshit, why if I had a good leg I'd come over there and whup the tarnation out of you, ya goddamned sonofa, I always knew yer daddy was trouble, tried to warn yer mama, but no she just had to go foolin' around and now you sit around crying about twenty bucks a month when the jump from $10 to $15 took just about the same amount of time and half of you pimple faced maroons were still in grade school then and whinin you'd have to mow an extra five yards to get the money (who are we fooling, you just cried and whined to yer mammy until she ponied up to shut yer trap) and now that yer all 'growed up' (so to speak, cuz you ain't), a measly $5 bucks is makin you all 'the sky is fallin' when you will probably only play the motherfucking thing for the free month and declare doom and go back to your shitty wow garbage anyway.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8724 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:11 AM

How dare a subscription service adjust for inflation. Why, in my day we paid a SHINY QUARTER for our online worlds and WE FUCKING LIKED IT. Also, I lost my leg in the pvp so you goddamned hippy kids could sit around in yer pve server so don't you goddamned complain about some nancy boy bullshit, why if I had a good leg I'd come over there and whup the tarnation out of you, ya goddamned sonofa, I always knew yer daddy was trouble, tried to warn yer mama, but no she just had to go foolin' around and now you sit around crying about twenty bucks a month when the jump from $10 to $15 took just about the same amount of time and half of you pimple faced maroons were still in grade school then and whinin you'd have to mow an extra five yards to get the money (who are we fooling, you just cried and whined to yer mammy until she ponied up to shut yer trap) and now that yer all 'growed up' (so to speak, cuz you ain't), a measly $5 bucks is makin you all 'the sky is fallin' when you will probably only play the motherfucking thing for the free month and declare doom and go back to your shitty wow garbage anyway.

I don't think its a trivial concern.  I'll barely pay for an MMO anymore to begin with.  Its going to have to be pretty damned good just to get me to sub in the first place, and increased price per month only means its going to have to impress me even more.  Not to mention there are quite a lot of good games coming out this fall/winter, which means that its got to directly compete with those for my limited gaming time.  A 20 bucks a month price tag is only going to make me lean further away from it, fair or not.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8725 on: August 02, 2011, 07:15:44 AM

Shut up, old man.   tongue

If the game comes out and punches the 800 lbs. gorilla in the throat and takes the crown, they can certainly try justifying a cost increase down the road, because I believe "hey guys, we really want to keep these voice actors paid along with all the other high-end stuff that's new and modern compared to the previous generation, but we need a little more monies".  But right out of the gate?  Frack that.

And in reality, frack even trying to justify.  In an interview with SquareEnix a few months ago, they were quoted as saying that it doesn't really matter if they make a profit off of FFIX and XIV.  If there's an interest in the games, they just pour funding in from their OTHER game profits to keep the online stuff afloat.  And I'm pretty sure EA and BW make more than just MMOs.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #8726 on: August 02, 2011, 08:03:13 AM

I put a $100 limit on my monthly media budget.  I figure that's one brand new game, one older used one and an MMO sub for the month.  That doesn't budget in for music, so sometimes I have to cut out one or two of the game options. 

I'm not saying I wouldn't spend the extra $5 if the game is worth it, but it gives me pause to consider whether I want to add that expenditure in every month. 

Also, since dropping MMOs in January, I've become much, much more productive in other aspects of my life.  Not trying to shit in anyone's cereal, but just saying from my personal experience, I never realized how much time I wasted spent in them until now. 
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8727 on: August 02, 2011, 08:20:36 AM

Nobody ever does.  That's the funny part.

I don't play now like I did, but from Feb to May when I wasn't playing at all I had soooo much goddamn time.  I was driving my kids & wife nuts because I wouldn't leave them alone.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8728 on: August 02, 2011, 09:07:30 AM

Yeah, since my fiancee got her laptop, she loves mmo. I sit and veg out playing that while she dicks around on facebook and good reads for hours. But I'm happy to mostly be done with Rift, I've gotten more shit done in the last week than I have in the last month.

But...I fear for my free time when TOR comes out.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8729 on: August 02, 2011, 09:40:25 AM

In terms of sheer time played, I'm much more concerened about myself with Diablo 3 than anything else.  I think I played more Diablo 2 than any MMO I've ever played, and thats saying something.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8730 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:56 AM

If I were EA, I'd charge you $15.99/month.

Every six months an expansion pack at $40.

Content DLC at $10 a quarter, ramping up in year 2 and 3.

Total annual cost : $312 + Sparkle Ponies & XP potions

I might consider annual expansion packs and twice as much DLC - but the revenue works out the same.

This isn't what I'd like them to charge - I'd like the game to be entirely free and paid for by George Lucas as reparations for episode 2, however, if I was EA and liked money, this is what I would charge.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 09:48:34 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #8731 on: August 02, 2011, 10:12:20 AM

Yeah, since my fiancee got her laptop, she loves mmo. I sit and veg out playing that while she dicks around on facebook and good reads for hours. But I'm happy to mostly be done with Rift, I've gotten more shit done in the last week than I have in the last month.

But...I fear for my free time when TOR comes out.

Ditto, first time Ive been looking forward to an MMO in years which doesnt bode well for my family ;)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8732 on: August 02, 2011, 10:49:00 AM

I might consider annual expansion packs and twice as much DLC - but the revenue works out the same.

This isn't what I'd like them to charge - I'd like the game to be entirely free and paid for by George Lucas as reparations for episode 2, however, if I was EA and liked money, this is what I would charge.

And, on top of that, a 138GB client, don't forget that. Recipe for success.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8733 on: August 02, 2011, 11:10:42 AM

Taking the Seagate Momentus hybrid as a benchmark, you're looking at 20c per GB.

So that element is only $27.60 which we can amortise over 3 years. But if we're doing this, we should add the box cost, again over three years. So if we add in Darth Barbie edition and account for the 138 GB install we're at a total annual cost of $371.20 plus potions & mounts.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8734 on: August 02, 2011, 11:11:34 AM

Facepalm

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8735 on: August 02, 2011, 11:23:52 AM

Can I tell them that I'm deaf and get the 3 GB version without voice acting?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8736 on: August 02, 2011, 11:25:15 AM

Got one!

-Rasix
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8737 on: August 02, 2011, 11:51:06 AM

I think a jump to something like $15.99 or $17.99 is a lot more likely than going a full $5 increment.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8738 on: August 02, 2011, 11:58:30 AM

I think a jump to something like $15.99 or $17.99 is a lot more likely than going a full $5 increment.

Nothing in that range scares me, especially if there are significant price breaks for 3 and 6 month plans.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8739 on: August 02, 2011, 12:11:38 PM

If the game is good, I'll gladly pay $25 a month... particularly if it rids me of the Runescape/WoW-tard crowd. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8740 on: August 02, 2011, 12:18:41 PM

If the game is good, I'll gladly pay $25 a month... particularly if it rids me of the Runescape/WoW-tard crowd. 

At that rate and on that logic, we might as well get political and say that we're separating the middle class/welfare gamers from the monetary elitists  Ohhhhh, I see.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8741 on: August 02, 2011, 12:34:29 PM

Do not say such things, or it will happen.

15 is a limit not to cross.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8742 on: August 02, 2011, 12:36:04 PM

It has to go up eventually, just to give employees cost of living raises.  tongue

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8743 on: August 02, 2011, 01:27:06 PM

I just read about how Sith Inquisitors can be tanks, a la Death Knight/Rogueish tanks.

I may be changing my desire to be a force user  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #8744 on: August 02, 2011, 02:39:51 PM

It has to go up eventually, just to give employees cost of living raises.  tongue

Cash shop is an alternative to sub fee increases. Sparkle ponies are $$$ and don't really divide the community.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8745 on: August 02, 2011, 02:57:31 PM

I just read about how Sith Inquisitors can be tanks, a la Death Knight/Rogueish tanks.

I may be changing my desire to be a force user  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

afaik, everyone has a tank tree except smugglers and agents, and everyone has a heal tree except knights and warriors.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #8746 on: August 02, 2011, 04:54:10 PM

Cash shop is an alternative to sub fee increases. Sparkle ponies are $$$ and don't really divide the community.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #8747 on: August 02, 2011, 05:36:24 PM

Depends on what the cash shop includes. Cosmetics like mounts? Not very divisive. It'll bug some people, sure, but what doesn't in an MMO? It's a pretty low-impact way to generate some extra revenue, and people that buy the cosmetics seem to like that they were offered. I have no problems with the Astral Pony or the Winged Lion in WoW.

If 5% of your population buys a sparkle pony one month for $20, that generates as much revenue that month as a $1 sub fee increase would.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:39:15 PM by Rokal »
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8748 on: August 03, 2011, 02:06:41 AM

Xp potions are more interesting than ponies - always find it strange that potions get less discussion than mounts.

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #8749 on: August 03, 2011, 04:07:56 AM

Xp potions are more interesting than ponies - always find it strange that potions get less discussion than mounts.

XP potions are pay-to-win.  Ponies are ponies...they aren't going to help you level any faster than the common man could.

Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: