Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:03:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102141 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8470 on: July 27, 2011, 11:04:18 AM

Do you accept that patents should expire and if so what on earth is the difference?

Because tangible property is different than a story.

How is tangible property such as a book with printed words inside, different to tangible property such as a motor car with metal bent into the shape of a more efficient engine?

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8471 on: July 27, 2011, 11:05:50 AM

You are part of the rebel alliance and a traitor! 

Take them away!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8472 on: July 27, 2011, 11:14:35 AM

How is tangible property such as a book with printed words inside, different to tangible property such as a motor car with metal bent into the shape of a more efficient engine?

You know why, so don't ask silly questions. Besides, in case you haven't noticed, the natives don't like this discussion in this thread.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8473 on: July 27, 2011, 11:17:13 AM

Do you accept that patents should expire and if so what on earth is the difference?

I accept patents and copyright expiring after my death. It's party of my body of work, why should I not be allowed to reap profit from it for the full duration of my life?

I'm not a fan of lifetime based copyright because other supporting stakeholders like publishers are kind of screwed by it, and it prevents you selling the rights. Plus Disney Co will live forever. But sure, 'a bigger number than 15' years might be what you'd settle on.

However, you aren't the only stakeholder, you're also talking about the competing opportunity of others to benefit from building on or copying your work, and the consumer's opportunity to benefit from maximising work in the public domain. You need a system that will promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries, but Authors and Inventors are not the only consideration, putting work of any sort into the public domain also has a benefit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8474 on: July 27, 2011, 11:19:04 AM

You know why, so don't ask silly questions. Besides, in case you haven't noticed, the natives don't like this discussion in this thread.

No. I don't. Most advances in modern engine technology require substantially more creative or intellectual investment than a single novel, why should the authors not benefit in perpetuity?

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8475 on: July 27, 2011, 11:23:09 AM

No. I don't. Most advances in modern engine technology require substantially more creative or intellectual investment than a single novel, why should the authors not benefit in perpetuity?

Ohhhhh, I see.

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8476 on: July 27, 2011, 11:29:37 AM

So, you think Lucas should abandon the copyright on Star Wars?
Because that is the only imaginable option available, of course I do.

Right, so you have no idea what I am talking about then?

If Lucas fails to enforce his IP he will eventually lose the ability to do so in the future.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8477 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:12 AM

So, I bothered to pick an Avatar for the SWTOR site.  You know, they have a shockingly large number of robot droid pictures for a game with no robo race.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8478 on: July 27, 2011, 11:32:55 AM

We have to hit 300 pages before September.  Derails must happen!

This is barely a wobble, call me when the thread has twice as many posts about texas toast as we do about the nominal subject.

Get off my lawn!

Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #8479 on: July 27, 2011, 11:38:11 AM

So, who else is going to chose their first character based largely on which voice actor they like best?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8480 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:32 AM

So, you think Lucas should abandon the copyright on Star Wars?
Because that is the only imaginable option available, of course I do.

Right, so you have no idea what I am talking about then?

If Lucas fails to enforce his IP he will eventually lose the ability to do so in the future.

Pretty sure that is only true of trademarks, not copyright, and this was a copyright case.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8481 on: July 27, 2011, 11:40:53 AM

So, who else is going to chose their first character based largely on which voice actor they like best?

I'm going to make a Sith Juggernaught and turn up all the settings to Fat.

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #8482 on: July 27, 2011, 11:47:45 AM

Funny, I was hoping for a Jawa Juggernaut.

Since that will not happen I am praying to the 12 Gods we have appearance tabs for clothing. 
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8483 on: July 27, 2011, 11:58:26 AM

The sole reason I'm happy with the BC=empire direction is that it means I don't have put up with ridiculous American accents (except on the bounty hunter I gather).

I am praying to the 12 Gods we have appearance tabs for clothing. 

We did this a few pages back. There was much wailing and gnashing of teeth, but no appearance tab. They have the kotor system where most stats come from slottable components instead.

Pretty sure that is only true of trademarks, not copyright, and this was a copyright case.

Lucas *wishes* it was a copyright case. *Snark*

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8484 on: July 27, 2011, 11:59:13 AM

I'm slightly less shallow - picking a character based on which companions look most interesting.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8485 on: July 27, 2011, 12:00:37 PM

Assuming I buy the game, I plan on playing whichever class looks under populated for the Imperials.  I'm expecting this to be Imperial Agent, but I've been wrong about this kind of thing before.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8486 on: July 27, 2011, 12:09:20 PM

There are no variations? :( Not even a pitch shift?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8487 on: July 27, 2011, 12:15:21 PM

So, I bothered to pick an Avatar for the SWTOR site.  You know, they have a shockingly large number of robot droid pictures for a game with no robo race.

Do not go there... some of us are fairly bitter about that fact.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8488 on: July 27, 2011, 12:18:17 PM

Assuming I buy the game, I plan on playing whichever class looks under populated for the Imperials.  I'm expecting this to be Imperial Agent, but I've been wrong about this kind of thing before.

This would be my plan as well, but I'm really drawn to their bounty hunter design.  Which I'm thinking might end up being the most popular class of all.  People love bounty hunters / assassins.

-Rasix
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8489 on: July 27, 2011, 12:39:43 PM

My guess on the most popular to least popular classeses is based on lore, "badass" representations in the movies, and playstyles.

Most Popular - Bounty Hunter: It will be the WoW hunter at the release of this game. Fuckers will be everywhere and complaining they can't get groups. Several variations will have Fett, Feet, Ftt, Fatt, etc.
2nd Most - Sith Warrior: Everyone played a dark side Jedi in KOTOR at least once, so this is a natural. Plus Darth whoseits are going to be rampant.
3rd Most - Sith Inquisitor: The Warlock of SWTOR. I fully expect it to have tons of caster types playing the sorc build, but it's not going to be as popular as the warrior because it's not canon.
4th Most - Imperial Agent: Nobody knows what this is. They made it up. It's not in any movies and has no background. Oh and it has a healer spec nobody will ever use.

tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #8490 on: July 27, 2011, 12:49:55 PM

The current 70 years after death timeframe is utter bullshit.
I dunno, that's long enough period that it may deter to an extent these who could otherwise see immense financial benefits in shall we say, ending your patent coverage, now.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #8491 on: July 27, 2011, 12:50:14 PM

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Rishathra
Terracotta Army

Reply #8492 on: July 27, 2011, 12:52:18 PM

I'm going to play an agent because I saw one in that Tatooine gameplay video and she was wearing a duster, and wielding a SMG type blaster.  That's pretty much all the excuse I need.

"...you'll still be here trying to act cool while actually being a bored and frustrated office worker with a vibrating anger-valve puffing out internet hostility." - Falconeer
"That looks like English but I have no idea what you just said." - Trippy
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8493 on: July 27, 2011, 01:00:22 PM

Having played KGB way back, not playing an agent is very much out of the question.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #8494 on: July 27, 2011, 01:10:01 PM

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
cironian
Terracotta Army

play his game!: solarwar.net

Reply #8495 on: July 27, 2011, 01:45:15 PM

(tarkin)

Yeah, from http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20100101_001 I think that's the kind of person they were going for. (The fact that he's namedropped in there helps)
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8496 on: July 27, 2011, 01:50:54 PM

Tarkin's a GRAND FUCKING MOFF.

He is not an imperial agent. That's like saying the Governor of Texas is actually a sniper.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8497 on: July 27, 2011, 02:04:45 PM

Malwarebytes hates Tarkin's hotlinked site.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Mazakiel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8498 on: July 27, 2011, 02:09:57 PM

Tarkin's a GRAND FUCKING MOFF.

He is not an imperial agent. That's like saying the Governor of Texas is actually a sniper.

He's a Grand Moff by the time of New Hope.  They've decided he was an Imperial Agent in his younger days.  When they name dropped him in some discussion about Imperial Agents, their said their goal is to show why a guy like Tarkin would be in charge/keeping Vader in line. 
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #8499 on: July 27, 2011, 02:25:15 PM

Female Trooper because FemShep.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #8500 on: July 27, 2011, 02:25:48 PM

And they can backpedal all they want. A lot of politicos have military pasts, but they weren't spies/assassins. That's a stupid reference point.

QUICK THINK OF AN IMPERIAL! Uhhhh TARKIN! Yeah he was totaly an agent, even though he is basically listed as a pirate-hunter and politician !  Facepalm

Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8501 on: July 27, 2011, 02:28:31 PM

Always thought of bounty hunters as the contracted military agents...

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8502 on: July 27, 2011, 02:31:39 PM

I view  Imperial Agents as Mara Jade without the force sensitivity.
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #8503 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:16 PM

My guess on the most popular to least popular classeses is based on lore, "badass" representations in the movies, and playstyles.

Most Popular - Bounty Hunter: It will be the WoW hunter at the release of this game. Fuckers will be everywhere and complaining they can't get groups. Several variations will have Fett, Feet, Ftt, Fatt, etc.
2nd Most - Sith Warrior: Everyone played a dark side Jedi in KOTOR at least once, so this is a natural. Plus Darth whoseits are going to be rampant.
3rd Most - Sith Inquisitor: The Warlock of SWTOR. I fully expect it to have tons of caster types playing the sorc build, but it's not going to be as popular as the warrior because it's not canon.
4th Most - Imperial Agent: Nobody knows what this is. They made it up. It's not in any movies and has no background. Oh and it has a healer spec nobody will ever use.

If you're right this will be interesting since those classes are in order:

1) ranged tank
2) melee dps/melee tank
3) healing/ranged dps
4) ranged dps/stealth

Which means we'd see a game where tanks are everywhere (on one side at least)

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #8504 on: July 27, 2011, 02:42:42 PM

And they can backpedal all they want. A lot of politicos have military pasts, but they weren't spies/assassins. That's a stupid reference point.
Depends on the country.

Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: