Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:36:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 7 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102347 times)
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8225 on: July 22, 2011, 12:47:55 PM

Every word of that was true. The first was an impression of the store's purchase page (would you like me to screencap it?

Actually what I want you to do is screencap the bottom of that same page and post it here.

The second is the entire HALF A PAGE text at the top of the page when you click the preorder link.

It doesn't say what you think it does.  It says that you will receive the email confirming your order within 48 hours.  There is no mention of a queue.  Mentioning that there will be a delay between clicking purchase and receiving the confirmation order is SOP for all online purchases.  That they gave themselves 48 hours of grace is besides the point.  That there are limited numbers of pre-orders that they are willing to accept also has nothing to do with a queue.  If what you are whining about is, "Orders will be processed in the order they are received."  Uh, well fuck off.

I sent you the part where the preorder is a $5 additional charge, that part is 100% entirely true, and verifiable by simply going to their web store and clicking the item.

The second part absolutely means what I think it does: I get an immediate email confirming that I ordered product X. I get a second email confirming that they can fill that order. That is NOT SOP in a web ordering system, because said system knows it's inventory already. The disconnect with Origin is that they're giving themselves 48 hours after confirming they got the order request to validate that they actually posses the product in question. It's silly, and implies their inventory tracking cannot keep up with the order volume, or more specifically could not on the day this was announced.

It's made even more obvious that this isn't SOP because they bother putting up a note that due to the volume and demand for this product, here's the abnormal process we're going to follow. I've purchased shit from EA before, there is no confirmation of the confirmation normally. I hit buy, they process it, and send me a confirmation. With SWTOR, I hit buy, they sent me a confirmation that I hit buy, and then sent me a confirmation that they actually have the product.

This isn't exactly hard to follow, and I'm not bitching out the product in any way, I'm laughing at the web store.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #8226 on: July 22, 2011, 12:48:37 PM

I think an appearance tab is necessary in a game like WoW were armor is designed as part of a set and frankly looks ridiculous when mismatched.  Rift ironically had more realistic looking armor AND you could dye it so it always looked like you matched.

They mentioned something about clown outfit armour sets yesterday and how they're trying to steer clear of that by having armour appearance largely depend on class. I also recall (but it's probably NDA) that there's the ability to colour match or dye or something.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #8227 on: July 22, 2011, 12:51:44 PM

I think an appearance tab is necessary in a game like WoW were armor is designed as part of a set and frankly looks ridiculous when mismatched.  Rift ironically had more realistic looking armor AND you could dye it so it always looked like you matched.

I've gotten into some pretty awful mismatch situations in Rift.  The different level tiers of cleric suits have very noticeable differences and don't match well.   But then, the wardrobe came to the rescue. 

-Rasix
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #8228 on: July 22, 2011, 12:55:54 PM

Might depend on the bank & company.  My Cataclysm Preorder would fall off after 2 weeks then renewed itself a day or 2 later until launch.  That was on my Visa via Best Buy.  Since my Exp. date was too close to the date, I had to use my bank debit.  It just shows as a pending transaction and reduces the amount of my balance available for purchase.It hasn't come out of my account, so at least I'm the one making interest on it and not my bank, but I can't spend it either.

At least in my case, they authorized the full charge (so it goes against my limit but not my balance) right when I pre-ordered and this morning negated that authorization and posted a $5 charge.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #8229 on: July 22, 2011, 12:56:10 PM

Wardrobes also avoid the whole "this mid level armor looks AWESOME and will never ever be seen outside a two hour window" issue with art assets.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #8230 on: July 22, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

if you play female characters at times and don't want to dress like Slave Leia.

And when do you NOT want this?

edit: and on the armor note... what armor? At least in terms of Jedi, if I rewatch the movies I don't really see a whole lot of difference other than his robe is cleaner than the other guy's robe. Likewise for troopers for both sides. Just saying btw, I am not opposed to having style nor do I not understand having character customization is one of the cogs in the machine, but just being itchy.

double edit: FUCK FRIDAYS
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 01:22:22 PM by 01101010 »

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8231 on: July 22, 2011, 01:15:57 PM

It allso helps if you play female characters at times and don't want to dress like Slave Leia.
Or if you DO want to dress that way. Don't you judge my slutty Kelari rogue, sirrah!

Actually, the slave Leia outfit was the direct quote the dev on the panel made (paraphrasing here) "You will lose some combat effectiveness if you want to dress like Slave Leia"
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #8232 on: July 22, 2011, 01:20:24 PM

You know, I always looked at the "appearance tab" argument in another way (so it's a personal approach): I'm primarily a roleplayer and my preference is toward sandbox MMOs (but I love Bioware games and I appreciate well done theme parks), so I always took the approach: "hey, I'm in town, there is no reason I should wear a military outfit (unless I'm roleplaying a security guy or the story leads me to wear a certain apparel), let's switch to "commoner" clothes". Then, when I get out of town, I wear my "combat outfit" because it makes sense and I'm supposed to do that, I shouldn't go around killing stuff in shorts, flip-flops or whatever if I'm a trooper :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #8233 on: July 22, 2011, 01:41:00 PM

Sure, but this is not that kind of game :)

And making me  Shaking fist is James Ohlen: "We do have set bonuses in the game. We really want to encourage players to wear the same set so that when you're running around in Star Wars: The Old Republic you're seeing lots of other players who really look like the iconic classes."

Hey...it's a lot easier to effect an iconic look IF YOU CAN WEAR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO. Ye gods. I'll just figure it'll be a post-launch add once enough people bitch about it, just like it was for Rift.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #8234 on: July 22, 2011, 02:16:20 PM

The sensible way to do it from a design perspective IMO is to not have legs/arms/chest/etc all be separate items, at least for things like a suit of armor.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8235 on: July 22, 2011, 02:24:31 PM

The sensible way to do it from a design perspective IMO is to not have legs/arms/chest/etc all be separate items, at least for things like a suit of armor.

But thats like 20% LESS epics I'll eventually have if they take away those!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8236 on: July 22, 2011, 02:30:38 PM

I just want to make sure we're clear here. Everyone buying the digital deluxe pack is paying for $20 of day one DLC right? And anyone pre-ordering is dropping $5 on a head start of undetermined time?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #8237 on: July 22, 2011, 02:32:36 PM

I just want to make sure we're clear here. Everyone buying the digital deluxe pack is paying for $20 of day one DLC right? And anyone pre-ordering is dropping $5 on a head start of undetermined time?

Presumably exclusive DLC?  Better be.  But yeah, pretty much.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #8238 on: July 22, 2011, 02:37:56 PM

The $5 is pat of the total price. It looks like you are paying an extra $5, but then the item costs -$5 total.

Like they listed the Digital Delux at $79. If you preorder you have to pay two items. $5 preorder, and $74.99 game. So really its not the $5 extra people are claiming.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8239 on: July 22, 2011, 02:42:33 PM

And making me  Shaking fist is James Ohlen: "We do have set bonuses in the game. We really want to encourage players to wear the same set so that when you're running around in Star Wars: The Old Republic you're seeing lots of other players who really look like the iconic classes."

The sad thing about SWTOR is that I've heard enough of this sort of bullshit and 'don't worry it is like wow' bullshit to be fairly confident the game won't last.

Strong first 6 months no doubt. But while they've convinced me they've got a better Kotor game than Kotor 2, I still honestly don't think they have any idea how to make it into a sustainable multiplayer game.

Note to Bioware : Hey dipshits, bonuses for looking the same as other people are not a good idea.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8240 on: July 22, 2011, 02:44:08 PM

Just let players dye the individual parts and have them do whatever the fuck they want.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8241 on: July 22, 2011, 02:55:00 PM

The $5 is pat of the total price. It looks like you are paying an extra $5, but then the item costs -$5 total.

Like they listed the Digital Delux at $79. If you preorder you have to pay two items. $5 preorder, and $74.99 game. So really its not the $5 extra people are claiming.

I think you are contradicting yourself here. If you have to pay $79.99 now and $74.99 after release then yes, you are paying $5 for a pre-order, it shouldn't matter how they itemize it on the invoice.

edit: also isn't diablo coming out this christmas season?

Rasix

Reply #8242 on: July 22, 2011, 02:56:08 PM

So what?

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #8243 on: July 22, 2011, 03:04:47 PM

It feels weird that the game is finally going to actually release. It's been in development for how long now?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Tyrnan
Terracotta Army

Reply #8244 on: July 22, 2011, 03:05:39 PM

I think you are contradicting yourself here. If you have to pay $79.99 now and $74.99 after release then yes, you are paying $5 for a pre-order, it shouldn't matter how they itemize it on the invoice.

edit: also isn't diablo coming out this christmas season?
No, he's saying if you pre-order it then you pay the $5 right now and the $74.99 when the game is shipped. Or if you don't pre-order and buy at release it's $79.99. So it's the same price either way. At least that's what I got from it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8245 on: July 22, 2011, 03:07:20 PM

One of my friends pre-ordered from gamestop and they sent him extra pre-order codes, so now I've got that applied to my account, weee.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #8246 on: July 22, 2011, 03:16:11 PM

For any of you Bat Country folks who don't know how to change your class selection so that it appears in the roster - simply select Guild Application (under My Account).  Just update that one option and leave the rest alone, save it, and bingo....good to go.

I tried that and now all of my passwords are randomized, my bank account is zeroed out and all of my credit cards have been maxed.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8247 on: July 22, 2011, 03:28:45 PM

Diablo 3 isn't going to come out until Q2 2012, mark my words.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #8248 on: July 22, 2011, 03:48:33 PM

Wardrobes also avoid the whole "this mid level armor looks AWESOME and will never ever be seen outside a two hour window" issue with art assets.

Battleforge on my human female paladin!  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8249 on: July 22, 2011, 04:56:06 PM

if you play female characters at times and don't want to dress like Slave Leia.

And when do you NOT want this?

All the fucking time. But that is why appearance tabs are awesome. If Rift hadn't had one, I doubt I would've even bought the game. I am too old and cranky to be forced into skank armor against my will these days (WoW has mostly veered away from that since vanilla ... you'll still have the occassional plate thong drop, but generally everything will cover your ass and the plate sports bra tops are fixable with shirts and tabards). I don't care if other people want to wear it, so long as I never have to.

God Save the Horn Players
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #8250 on: July 22, 2011, 05:02:13 PM

Bastila wasn't whoring it up in her armor. I think we'll be fine.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #8251 on: July 22, 2011, 05:12:43 PM

Canada Gamestop has the regular edition on for $39.99 (god know's if you get it for that price).

It's already changed it looks like. 59.99

Yeah sorry about that it looks like it was a pricing error for a 3-5hr window. Got my order in and they haven't cancelled it yet and still received the preorder codes from Gamestop  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #8252 on: July 22, 2011, 06:53:12 PM

So what?

Don't you know you can only ever own and play one game at a time, EVER?!   why so serious?

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8253 on: July 22, 2011, 08:34:19 PM

Ok, I guess I'm just confused about that "$5 less once it's been released" comments. Right now it's 79.99 - 5 to 74.99 but will it be 69.99 on release day? If so it's essentially the same thing, paying extra for a pre-order but it could all be a rumor.

I only mention diablo because first off, I'll get SWTOR but the blizzard release calender that was leaked has recently proven to be right again with the release of wow brazil so that puts D3 this holiday season as well.  Let's face it, if that's accurate its really gonna put the wind out of the swtor sails.

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #8254 on: July 22, 2011, 08:39:42 PM

Let's face it, if that's accurate its really gonna put the wind out of the swtor sails sales.

FTFY.

Seriously though.  Diablo 3 is going to nuke the possibility of me playing any DIKU MMO after its release.  It does literally everything I want out of a game like that, but better than most MMOs, and without the shitty parts. 

On the topic of SWTOR though, if it comes out at least a month before D3 is arguably still worth a buy.  Despite my pun, D3 threatens subs, not sales for TOR.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #8255 on: July 22, 2011, 09:32:43 PM

Possibly but for people on a budget(me) even a month apart means I have to choose one or the other.  I'm still really waiting to see what sub costs for swtor are going to be.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #8256 on: July 22, 2011, 10:20:44 PM

More interested in dota2 than diablo, because, you know, Valve.

Either way, it's a tough year for PC game producers.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #8257 on: July 22, 2011, 10:40:29 PM

I really doubt it is accurate. They're not going to release until like 6 months after beta starts, and to my knowledge it hasn't started. It might have been the plan back then, but it is Blizzard, the big titles will slip.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #8258 on: July 22, 2011, 10:45:59 PM

Bastila wasn't whoring it up in her armor. I think we'll be fine.

I wasn't actually worried, but I am contractually obligated to respond whenever someone expresses doubt there's anyone out there that doesn't want to dress up as a space whore.

God Save the Horn Players
Rasix

Reply #8259 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41:28 PM

Ok, I guess I'm just confused about that "$5 less once it's been released" comments. Right now it's 79.99 - 5 to 74.99 but will it be 69.99 on release day? If so it's essentially the same thing, paying extra for a pre-order but it could all be a rumor.

Does this help?  Because I really have no idea what you're going on about.

ORDER SUMMARY

Product SKU: 71065
Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Standard Edition Pre-Order
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $5.00
Digital Rights: HA-HA-FU

Product SKU: 71074
Product Name: STAR WARS(TM): The Old Republic(TM) Digital Standard Edition (Pre-Ordered)
Estimated Release Date: Targeting Holiday 2011
Qty Ordered: 1
Amount: $54.99

SubTotal: $59.99
Shipping & Handling: $0.00

Tax: $3.96
Total: $63.95

Only $5 has hit my actual CC statement.  The rest shows as pending.  If they some how double dip me for the $5 dollars, I'll bitch then.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:43:38 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237 238 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: