Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 01:18:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102368 times)
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #7385 on: June 21, 2011, 08:53:31 AM

I want to run it on an ssd, I can't go back to playing games on disk, this would really suck.  Maybe they haven't bothered to compress all the audio and such yet *wishful thinking*?

Edit: 256G ssd drives cost at least $400 right now, I'm not buying one of those to dedicate to one game.  If that's the real size then I might just wind up skipping on the game.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 08:56:40 AM by Miasma »
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7386 on: June 21, 2011, 08:55:46 AM

I'm venturing there's some gross misunderstanding on my part, but I'm trying to figure how, say, 138 downloaded would translate to a still 40GB install. That would still present a whole HOST of issues outside of the US, mind you, but at least it wouldn't be a retarded install.
I'm not saying either way, as I've bent the NDA enough already, but it logically follows that you won't have to download 138GB for an installed size comparable to WoW with all its expansions. Also, WoW with all its expansions installed consumes significantly less space than 40GB.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7387 on: June 21, 2011, 08:57:56 AM

I'm venturing there's some gross misunderstanding on my part, but I'm trying to figure how, say, 138 downloaded would translate to a still 40GB install. That would still present a whole HOST of issues outside of the US, mind you, but at least it wouldn't be a retarded install.

They are making you install it as dozens of incremental patches. This will always take vastly more space than a single gold install set. The 138 Gb is probably equivalent to what they'll ask to to download over several years post launch. All as modifications to the same 40-60 GBs of actual files.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7388 on: June 21, 2011, 09:00:46 AM

They are making you install it as dozens of incremental patches. This will always take vastly more space than a single gold install set. The 138 Gb is probably equivalent to what they'll ask to to download over several years post launch. All as modifications to the same 40-60 GBs of actual files.
Facepalm
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7389 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:18 AM

Yeah, caught one of my friends. After upbraiding him* for making me look like an idiot, he confirmed that it was about a 28GB install. HOWEVER, he did download 138GB and it took him about 14 hours to do it.

So there are still several problems with this, though a final install isn't one of them. You still presumably need 138GB free for the download prior to it condensing. It's fucking weird that you have to download that much for a 28GB install. And people with a download cap are still highly fucked.

Why would you have to download that much for an install 1/4 that size?

*I didn't actually do this
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #7390 on: June 21, 2011, 09:03:54 AM

I want to run it on an ssd, I can't go back to playing games on disk, this would really suck.  Maybe they haven't bothered to compress all the audio and such yet *wishful thinking*?

Edit: 256G ssd drives cost at least $400 right now, I'm not buying one of those to dedicate to one game.  If that's the real size then I might just wind up skipping on the game.

Death to all spinning discs.

As it is impractical to get SSDs over 250Gb, my own strategy will be to salvage my existing drive when I upgrade the laptop and double up on the next machine.

But there is literally no way EA spent this much money in order to limit themselves to the top 25% of PC ubermensch. This game will be smaller.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7391 on: June 21, 2011, 09:04:11 AM

Oh sure, derail me with your logic  awesome, for real

Actually this does make sense...consider someone's WoW install folder prior to Cata.  Assume they started with vanilla, and patched up with every incremental patch up until 3.3.  Just those patches alone that sit in the WoW patches or root folder make up more than the game does.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:08:12 AM by luckton »

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7392 on: June 21, 2011, 09:05:58 AM

So there are still several problems with this, though a final install isn't one of them. You still presumably need 138GB free for the download prior to it condensing. It's fucking weird that you have to download that much for a 28GB install. And people with a download cap are still highly fucked.

Why would you have to download that much for an install 1/4 that size?

This game 'has' been in development hell since 2008, right?  Assuming no grand engine meltdowns and rebuilds from the ground up, that's a lot of modifications...

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7393 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:07 AM

he did download 138GB
I have a bandwidth monitor on my router with tomato firmware and actually checked before leaving for work this morning. This is not accurate. Maybe he was torrenting massive quantities of HD fetish erotica at the same time?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7394 on: June 21, 2011, 09:08:38 AM

Sure, but that's still just so fucking big. I can't think, off hand, of another game with that big a difference, either in development, beta or release.

I can ask him about the erotica. I'll have to ask my other friend who came out at the same number, too.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7395 on: June 21, 2011, 09:13:58 AM

Even if my router's graphs were wrong, my internet connection is not capable of transferring 138GB over the time period in question. Your friends are totally full of shit.
Reg
Terracotta Army

Reply #7396 on: June 21, 2011, 09:18:12 AM

Well if the game isn't to be doomed by it's install size I'm sure it will still be a massive failure because of unskippable quest text!
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7397 on: June 21, 2011, 09:23:11 AM

Even if my router's graphs were wrong, my internet connection is not capable of transferring 138GB over the time period in question. Your friends are totally full of shit.

He senses weakness, moving in for the kill, after lulling his prey into a false sense of security with a hedging conversation...

He's claiming this is what the installer said. So I'm banking on an installer display issue, maybe an issue where parts are redownloaded if they fuck up. In which case, crisis averted if they get that fixed by release.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7398 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:34 AM

This game 'has' been in development hell since 2008, right?  Assuming no grand engine meltdowns and rebuilds from the ground up, that's a lot of modifications...
Maybe they subscribe to Steam school of patching.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7399 on: June 21, 2011, 09:34:06 AM

How many pages can the TOR thread generate about inaccurate information? Dominoes should be taking notes on this level of delivery.
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #7400 on: June 21, 2011, 09:43:08 AM

How many pages can the TOR thread generate about inaccurate information? Dominoes should be taking notes on this level of delivery.
I cybered Modern Angel's friends in the beta's "#jedis4tweens" chat channel. They told me in confidence that both sith and darkside jedi can hypnotize then daterape their companions and force them to have third trimester abortions.

Problem?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 09:46:34 AM by sam, an eggplant »
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #7401 on: June 21, 2011, 09:45:01 AM

Well if the game isn't to be doomed by it's install size I'm sure it will still be a massive failure because of unskippable quest text!

You can skip all the dialog.  Apparently hitting the space bar skips you through it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7402 on: June 21, 2011, 09:58:22 AM

I cybered Modern Angel's friends in the beta's "#jedis4tweens" chat channel. They told me in confidence that both sith and darkside jedi can hypnotize then daterape their companions and force them to have third trimester abortions.

Problem?

Wasn't aware it was using the FATAL ruleset.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #7403 on: June 21, 2011, 10:58:03 AM

Maybe they subscribe to Steam school of patching.

Witcher 2 9GB patches amirite?
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7404 on: June 21, 2011, 10:59:29 AM

Problem?

Wasn't aware it was using the FATAL ruleset.

You're supposed to call it The Game That Shall Not Be Mentioned.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #7405 on: June 21, 2011, 11:37:20 AM

*the smell of fresh cake fills the air*

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #7406 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:44 AM

Problem?
Do the companions have sickles? Are there cows involved?

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #7407 on: June 21, 2011, 12:16:34 PM

I hesitate to admit I was thinking the same cross-pollination...
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #7408 on: June 21, 2011, 12:18:34 PM

Don't cross the streams!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7409 on: June 21, 2011, 01:17:48 PM

He's claiming this is what the installer said. So I'm banking on an installer display issue, maybe an issue where parts are redownloaded if they fuck up. In which case, crisis averted if they get that fixed by release.

It's got to be a display error.   There's no way he actually downloaded 100+gigs.   Shit I can't believe any of you believed that would be the retail size in the first place.   It's not like this game is supporting some sort of super detailed textures.    You all can do the simple math on compressed audio as well.   You probably have 4 days worth of audio on your nano's or whatever sitting on your desk at this very moment.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #7410 on: June 21, 2011, 01:19:00 PM

*nudge nudge*

*wink wink*

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7411 on: June 21, 2011, 03:12:15 PM

It's got to be a display error.   There's no way he actually downloaded 100+gigs.   Shit I can't believe any of you believed that would be the retail size in the first place.   It's not like this game is supporting some sort of super detailed textures.    You all can do the simple math on compressed audio as well.   You probably have 4 days worth of audio on your nano's or whatever sitting on your desk at this very moment.

I never put gross incompetence past any MMO developer.

I'm actually banking on it redownloading bad data. Same thing happened with AoC prior to release, albeit with a much smaller size. Some folks might remember having to redownload the same 8 gigs or so three or four times in a loop before it would randomly get straight.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #7412 on: June 21, 2011, 03:14:53 PM

Yeah it could very easily just be patcher bugs of some kind causing stuff like that. I remember having to download CoH 4 times over during that beta before it decided it wasn't corrupt.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #7413 on: June 21, 2011, 05:01:37 PM

I'm actually banking on it redownloading bad data.

How long did it take him to download?  Doing a little math it should of taken at least:

138 GB -
FIOS 25 MBIT 12.6 hours
UVERSE 12 MBIT 26 hours
Generic 8 MBIT 40 hours

My guess is he was reading "amount patched" and it kept patching the same huge data file over and over with a slew of incremental updates.   Either that or a display bug.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #7414 on: June 21, 2011, 05:41:15 PM

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #7415 on: June 21, 2011, 06:27:31 PM

Clearly you won't need a 200GB install at retail launch, because EA really like money.

Which is why EA is also releasing the SWOR 1TB HD that comes with a customised SWOR skin, a Darth Malgus miniature and SWOR pre-loaded, all yours for a bargin price of $599.

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #7416 on: June 21, 2011, 07:19:41 PM

Clearly you won't need a 200GB install at retail launch, because EA really like money.

Which is why EA is also releasing the SWOR 1TB HD that comes with a customised SWOR skin, a Darth Malgus miniature and SWOR pre-loaded, all yours for a bargin price of $599.

$150 I would buy a pre-loaded 1tb swtor HD maybe even $199

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Megrim
Terracotta Army

Whenever an opponent discards a card, Megrim deals 2 damage to that player.

Reply #7417 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:34 PM

138, after patching.

That's one way to justify a development budget.

One must bow to offer aid to a fallen man - The Tao of Shinsei.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #7418 on: June 21, 2011, 07:31:41 PM

Don't forget the SWTOR keyboard.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #7419 on: June 21, 2011, 08:05:12 PM

There are people who have no intention of playing SWTOR who are salivating at that keyboard apparently.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Pages: 1 ... 210 211 [212] 213 214 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: