Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 02:41:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102408 times)
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6860 on: June 10, 2011, 12:12:11 PM

In other news, Kotaku hates ToR.  Mostly for the reasons everyone here has already stated, but in case you wanted to read 3 pages of that hate being explicitly described in the form of a preview.

WTF was that.  He didn't even talk about the game he's just venting on The Old Republic setting in general.  I mean everyone gets their own opinion but getting pissy on the internet about how the The Old Republic MMO isn't about the original trilogy is just dumb.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6861 on: June 10, 2011, 12:15:59 PM

This game better have a streaming install, 40GB is crazy but god knows how much of that is going to be used at release and not just pre-recorded content expansions down the road.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #6862 on: June 10, 2011, 12:16:16 PM

Bad Kotaku Article is Bad?

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6863 on: June 10, 2011, 12:20:42 PM

This game better have a streaming install, 40GB is crazy but god knows how much of that is going to be used at release and not just pre-recorded content expansions down the road.

With an install that big I'm going to get a disc.   It's not like steam is an option anyways.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6864 on: June 10, 2011, 12:24:28 PM

With an install that big I'm going to get a disc.   It's not like steam is an option anyways.

I think he meant streaming, a la WoW or LotRO's clients.  Not Steam, the king of online software sales.

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6865 on: June 10, 2011, 12:26:54 PM

That article could have been written by Geldon.

-Rasix
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6866 on: June 10, 2011, 12:29:14 PM

Maybe it was.  shocked

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6867 on: June 10, 2011, 01:09:29 PM

I can write an article on SWTOR too:

I've never actually played SWTOR, but I've seen a lot of videos, and what I've seen doesn't impress me. There are castles here. The makes no sense. I don't remember a castle in the movies. Apparently they've spent millions on a game that looks like WoW with a better story. I have my doubts, but refuse to play a demo because I can't listen to a full sentence of instructions without getting bored. I need constant flashing stimulation because I am five.

The end.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #6868 on: June 10, 2011, 01:11:13 PM

He probably got trashed the night before and didn't feel like standing on line for an hour or more to play.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6869 on: June 10, 2011, 01:13:55 PM

Yea that was pretty terrible. 
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6870 on: June 10, 2011, 01:27:31 PM

I've never actually played SWTOR, but I've seen a lot of videos, and what I've seen doesn't impress me. There are castles here. The makes no sense. I don't remember a castle in the movies. Apparently they've spent millions on a game that looks like WoW with a better story. I have my doubts, but refuse to play a demo because I can't listen to a full sentence of instructions without getting bored. I need constant flashing stimulation because I am five.

The end.

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #6871 on: June 10, 2011, 01:42:36 PM

When he appeared on the screen—fully voice-acted, as are all the random characters in SW:TOR—he was wearing a cape and what looked like a metal marching band hat. He looked ridiculous. Space ridiculous.

characters in star wars with capes, my god
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6872 on: June 10, 2011, 01:49:01 PM

I think he meant streaming, a la WoW or LotRO's clients.  Not Steam, the king of online software sales.

Yeah exactly, just pre-download/load what's upcoming in a zone over not wait an hour to install the game  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6873 on: June 10, 2011, 01:52:36 PM

The end.

Except for Jabba's Palace (and Amidala's castle but we don't need to go there).  There is a a lot wrong with that article, particularly his silly need to show off his vocabulary.  A mawkishly digestible neoteny?  As a description for a video game based on a movie mostly about adolescent wish fulfillment?  Really?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #6874 on: June 10, 2011, 06:26:13 PM

What exactly is f13 a target for?  Ohhhhh, I see.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6875 on: June 10, 2011, 06:29:44 PM

I think he meant streaming, a la WoW or LotRO's clients.  Not Steam, the king of online software sales.

I understood that.   There's no point to streaming if I have the disc is my point.  If I can't get Steam then I have a disc.   GW style streaming would be cool but you can't really do that with SWTOR.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 06:31:29 PM by Amaron »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #6876 on: June 10, 2011, 07:16:33 PM

Why not?  Presumably there is generic re-used data and area-specific data.  You wouldn't need the dialog for level 50 content when you're level 1.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6877 on: June 10, 2011, 07:34:59 PM

Why not?  Presumably there is generic re-used data and area-specific data.  You wouldn't need the dialog for level 50 content when you're level 1.

Sorry I was talking about it from a coding perspective instead of how it would appear to the user.  You're right in that you can stream it via an area specific setup.   WoW does that for instance but the WoW version doesn't work nearly as well because the game doesn't really know where you are going.   They could program in an extreme amount of heuristics to make it work better of course but that's costly.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #6878 on: June 10, 2011, 09:02:37 PM

I must assume the Kotaku guy is just trolling.
I think his problem is fairly easy to spot.

I enjoyed SW:TOR's nearly forgotten antecedent Star Wars Galaxies
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #6879 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:03 PM

(Streaming)
Sorry I was talking about it from a coding perspective instead of how it would appear to the user.  You're right in that you can stream it via an area specific setup.   WoW does that for instance but the WoW version doesn't work nearly as well because the game doesn't really know where you are going.   They could program in an extreme amount of heuristics to make it work better of course but that's costly.

Isn't most of the size supposed to be for voice acting and stuff?  I'd think it would be fairly easy to run a client the size of, say, AoC, include the first line or two from every conversation, and then just download the rest of the conversation when the player first talks to the NPC.  A lot of it is supposed to be character specific, too.  If I never roll a female bountty hunter, I won't need any of the dialogue trees specific to that class/gender.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #6880 on: June 10, 2011, 09:29:55 PM

I must assume the Kotaku guy is just trolling. While there are certainly some things one might criticise about SWTOR, saying it's not "Star Warsey" enough and then complaining at length about the fact that the Sand People look precisely like in ANH and that the bad guy is wearing a cape and weird headgear (how ridiculous! real star wars would never have such a thing!) just doesn't make any sense otherwise.

Guy was trolling. Waste of breath. It looks like they've gone through great pains to try and bridge SWTOR era with the movie stuff though. It's not the same, but nor is it KOTOR different. Troopers, Zabraks, Twi-leks, something-close-to-Millenium-Falcon, walker/crawler vehicles, etc. Which is great because that's what the vast majority of their hoped-for audience wants to see so it's good to close the aesthetic gap.

40gb though. Man, it's like Ultima IV all over again. And what sucks more is that a year from launch when I inevitably need to reinstall, it'll be those disks PLUS a jillion gig of new voice and art to patch. They may need to do some sort of AOL-style disc autodelivery service :P
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 09:33:42 PM by Darniaq »
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #6881 on: June 10, 2011, 11:08:39 PM

40gb though. Man, it's like Ultima IV all over again. And what sucks more is that a year from launch when I inevitably need to reinstall, it'll be those disks PLUS a jillion gig of new voice and art to patch. They may need to do some sort of AOL-style disc autodelivery service :P

It's like they're actively trying to push people to buy a physical copy in an attempt to have launch-day CoD style lines of people (with plastic lightsabres) in front of every store.   DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #6882 on: June 10, 2011, 11:17:27 PM

So no one has adequately answered my question here: is Lando Calrissian in it or not?!?! He can travel back (or forward in time) if he has to, but dammit I want the mustachioed smuggler prince!!!

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6883 on: June 11, 2011, 05:56:15 AM

Dude, you should totally rp a time traveling Lando.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6884 on: June 11, 2011, 06:04:36 AM

Dude, you should totally rp a time traveling Lando.

Seconded.
Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #6885 on: June 11, 2011, 07:33:48 AM

Let guy live you see him later.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv_7wex6a-k

Instance boss fight I guess.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czQ_8gi3QLc

Annoying announcer warning as usual.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #6886 on: June 11, 2011, 07:50:38 AM

Does every announcer get picked based on the fact that they talk through their nose?

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6887 on: June 11, 2011, 08:04:52 AM

wtf, i thought consulars were getting the whatchamacallit double sabers Heartbreak
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #6888 on: June 11, 2011, 08:09:28 AM

wtf, i thought consulars were getting the whatchamacallit double sabers Heartbreak

I think they have to spec into the other tree for that.  

Also, that seemed like pretty standard MMO fare, which isn't the worst thing I've said about this game.  It doesn't inspire me to want to play, but I can at least see where a competent Star Wars Diku fits into the market.

edit: The lightsaber combat still makes me cringe though.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6889 on: June 11, 2011, 08:25:14 AM

So no one has adequately answered my question here: is Lando Calrissian in it or not?!?! He can travel back (or forward in time) if he has to, but dammit I want the mustachioed smuggler prince!!!

There will probably be an equivalent called Londis Kalrattian.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6890 on: June 11, 2011, 08:43:23 AM

For the E3 converts, don't forget to sign up for Bat Country. If you use a non-f13 nick, pm me here as I won't accept anyone I don't recognize before launch (there are three apps pending because I don't know who they are). In case you haven't paid attention to the guild pre-launch deal, if we get a certain amount of pre-order accounts in our guild, it automatically sets us up on a server, removing the usual f13 server pick chaos, which would be nice.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #6891 on: June 11, 2011, 08:46:11 AM

I think they have to spec into the other tree for that.  
Ah that's cool then, wasn't planning to be a healer Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

the thing that freaks me out is how accurate their gun aim is. Not a single bolt misses the target evar.
Azuredream
Terracotta Army

Reply #6892 on: June 11, 2011, 08:58:56 AM

Oh hey, that's cool. Signing up.

The Lord of the Land approaches..
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6893 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:37 AM

the thing that freaks me out is how accurate their gun aim is. Not a single bolt misses the target evar.

They said they want a 'hit heavy' game so everyone starts at about 80-90% accuracy.  I guess that helps them time deflections and blocks better?

luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6894 on: June 11, 2011, 09:35:17 AM

For the E3 converts, don't forget to sign up for Bat Country. If you use a non-f13 nick, pm me here as I won't accept anyone I don't recognize before launch (there are three apps pending because I don't know who they are). In case you haven't paid attention to the guild pre-launch deal, if we get a certain amount of pre-order accounts in our guild, it automatically sets us up on a server, removing the usual f13 server pick chaos, which would be nice.

I applied.  Shouldn't have an issue picking me out, assuming you'll have me on-board.

Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: