Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:04:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102048 times)
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #6615 on: June 06, 2011, 02:35:18 PM

That space combat looks so MEH.
And knowing it's a rail shooter makes it an even bigger 'meh'.

Fuck, I didn't even know that. What do they think they can accomplish with bait & switch trailers?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6616 on: June 06, 2011, 02:36:37 PM

They've said the space stuff was going to be on rails like 52 times. How is that bait and switch?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #6617 on: June 06, 2011, 02:37:24 PM

Yeah, it has been known since it was announced AFAIK.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #6618 on: June 06, 2011, 02:39:25 PM

They've said the space stuff was going to be on rails like 52 times. How is that bait and switch?

Fine, just personal disappointment then.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6619 on: June 06, 2011, 02:40:17 PM

Also, again, why are people not reading 'all' of the posts in the thread before hitting reply and sounding all 'OMG WTF?!'

"Those lights, combined with the polygamous Nazi mushrooms, will mess you up."

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #6620 on: June 06, 2011, 02:48:26 PM

The space shooting stuff looked fine from the whole 5 seconds I saw of it.  The game from everything they've ever said isn't a ground game and a space game.  The space shit is just fluff.  

They should have just made it like the Jade Empire mini-game to piss you all off even more.

-Rasix
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #6621 on: June 06, 2011, 02:48:56 PM

Also, again, why are people not reading 'all' of the posts in the thread before hitting reply and sounding all 'OMG WTF?!'

Because the thread is 190 pages going back almost 3 years?  Ohhhhh, I see.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #6622 on: June 06, 2011, 02:54:59 PM

I want to know how many times I've posted:

In this thread over the years now.  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #6623 on: June 06, 2011, 03:21:40 PM

Chick-jedi needed a pink light-saber imo.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6624 on: June 06, 2011, 03:45:19 PM

Without a release date, E3 is pretty much meh. Cool intro trailer. And good news for the raidtards.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #6625 on: June 06, 2011, 03:56:01 PM

SWTOR An Exclusive Download for EA's New "Origin"
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/SWTOR-Star-Wars-MMOG-Origin-digital-distribution,12875.html

The Old Republic will be available later this year exclusively on the publisher's new digital distribution platform Origin, also launched on Friday.

RIP

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6626 on: June 06, 2011, 04:03:48 PM

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6627 on: June 06, 2011, 04:04:18 PM

Yeah, we knew that like 3 pages ago.  It doesn't indicate that it's the ONLY way to get it, just the only digital distro.  You should still be able to get physical CDs, etc.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6628 on: June 06, 2011, 04:10:41 PM

Yeah, we knew that like 3 pages ago.  It doesn't indicate that it's the ONLY way to get it, just the only digital distro.  You should still be able to get physical CDs, etc.

any mention if you need it to activate the CD key?  Cause that would suck.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #6629 on: June 06, 2011, 04:15:57 PM

I'm going to wager, yes.  It'll be how they do their patching and everything else since they make Sims3 use it for their stuff.  Can't let you use their bandwidth without subjecting you to at least SOME ads about the latest shovelware of whatever franchise they're beating into the ground this year.

Ed: Then again, you don't  need to use it for MA or DA which are also Bioware...  so who knows.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #6630 on: June 06, 2011, 04:28:06 PM

I didn't get the memo, seeing how nobody made a big deal about it.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6631 on: June 06, 2011, 04:33:36 PM

I didn't get the memo, seeing how nobody made a big deal about it.

The digital download version being exclusive to Origin isn't that big a deal, which is why people aren't making a big deal about it.  It's kinda annoying that it won't be available through Steam, but things already looked to be going that way when Dragon Age II wasn't available on Steam until the cut-off for the premium version had passed.  Also, we're talking about an MMO here, so regardless you're going to end up having to sign up for an EA run online service in order to play it anyway.  If it ends up being tied into Origin, does it really make much of a difference?
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6632 on: June 06, 2011, 05:01:38 PM

Machinima.com's interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX1JdRrilXs

"Don't worry guys, raids aren't going to be all talk."

Origin 'Exclusive' Producer Interview

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShyVh-dVo-g

"Tuning me out doesn't magically change the design or implementation of said design. Though, that'd be neat if it did." -schild
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6633 on: June 06, 2011, 05:47:42 PM

Same with the 'fully voiced quest dialog'.  (Sky wins this round  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? )

You thought fully voiced quest dialog wouldn't be good?
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #6634 on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:49 PM

You thought fully voiced quest dialog wouldn't be good?

Have you read most quest text?  Blah, blah, blah ain't in it.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6635 on: June 06, 2011, 06:30:37 PM

Ahh true.  That would of been retarded.  I guess I always assumed fully VO just meant no boring quest text.   That could of easily been wrong though.   Watching the interview was interesting regarding this.  I found it amusing that they basically sent a demo with player voiceovers and a price tag to Lucas/Bosses thinking it would be rejected.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6636 on: June 06, 2011, 06:39:09 PM

Ahh true.  That would of been retarded.  I guess I always assumed fully VO just meant no boring quest text.   That could of easily been wrong though.   Watching the interview was interesting regarding this.  I found it amusing that they basically sent a demo with player voiceovers and a price tag to Lucas/Bosses thinking it would be rejected.

Lucas may be an 'artard, but he does like quality, no matter the cost.  So far, that philosophy has worked out for him.  He's also been sitting on the live-action Star Wars series for a few years now, but he says he's waiting for the tech to come out that will make it faster to kick out episodes at the high quality he expects.

I'm liking the bit about how dungeon dialogue will work like /rolling on loot.   awesome, for real  Already talked about, but the bit about how the Smuggler saying off the wall was refreshing.

Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6637 on: June 06, 2011, 06:49:12 PM

I'm liking the bit about how dungeon dialogue will work like /rolling on loot.   awesome, for real  Already talked about, but the bit about how the Smuggler saying off the wall was refreshing.

I actually really feel this idea is maybe kind of horrible.  I remember watching one of the videos and the fucker took some dialog choices that clearly ended the dialog early.   The equivalent of not clicking through all the "investigate" stuff in Mass Effect.   Considering the MMO crowd I'm betting we'll see every dialog ended as quick as possible.

The fact that each class has completely different choices mollifies me somewhat but I intend to play every class anyways so I'm not sure how much.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6638 on: June 06, 2011, 06:54:40 PM

I actually really feel this idea is maybe kind of horrible.  I remember watching one of the videos and the fucker took some dialog choices that clearly ended the dialog early.   The equivalent of not clicking through all the "investigate" stuff in Mass Effect.   Considering the MMO crowd I'm betting we'll see every dialog ended as quick as possible.

The fact that each class has completely different choices mollifies me somewhat but I intend to play every class anyways so I'm not sure how much.

The way I see it, the dialogue options won't affect how your crew does a dungeon...I think it's more of an entertainment thing to see various responses and have a laugh or two.  For some PUG scrub to come in and grief the group by picking (or getting picked due to the random roll) a poor option doesn't sound like something they would let pass.

Alternatively, I've heard that regardless of whoever gets vocalized, the dialogue option you choose does get reflected in your LS/DS score and social points thingy.

Outlawedprod
Terracotta Army

Reply #6639 on: June 06, 2011, 07:34:45 PM

Another CG trailer (the return)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPQHiVecHZs

doh this was posted already.  somehow i missed a page of replies.  I will say the budget on these trailers seems pretty high. I wonder how much their advertising budget is.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 07:37:24 PM by Outlawedprod »
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #6640 on: June 06, 2011, 11:39:46 PM

Thank you for this very much Good.
No, thank you for your unintelligble spam, sir.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #6641 on: June 06, 2011, 11:45:44 PM

Thank you for this very much Good.

10 dolla sucky sucky
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #6642 on: June 06, 2011, 11:57:16 PM

No release date at E3 and it's going gold this year? I'm slightly baffled.
I guess they're going for a real steep marketing build-up, with a pre-order faux beta or something.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #6643 on: June 07, 2011, 01:02:06 AM

Earlier this year, EA's CEO, CFO and BioWare all had different ideas about when SWOR is launching. No-one knows.

VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #6644 on: June 07, 2011, 02:39:35 AM

No release date at E3 and it's going gold this year? I'm slightly baffled.
I guess they're going for a real steep marketing build-up, with a pre-order faux beta or something.

Yeah, me too. I was holding out hope that The Date may be revealed despite the community handler's best efforts to say it wouldn't be without actually saying it wouldn't be... silly me.

Earlier this year, EA's CEO, CFO and BioWare all had different ideas about when SWOR is launching. No-one knows.

I'd hope this indicates a hands-off approach by EA so that BW can just get the game "finished" 'n' polished, and that BW doesn't care about The Date until they know they have got it "finished" and can polish it before it ships.

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #6645 on: June 07, 2011, 03:00:59 AM

Right now I imagine it changes day to day and is probably going to be the topic of several more meetings.  When you've got one of the most expensive games ever made, if not the most expensive, your launch window is probably something you're going to analyze pretty damn closely.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #6646 on: June 07, 2011, 03:34:13 AM

Wild conjecture time!  What if Blizzard is waiting for SWTOR's release date to undercut them by announcing D3 will release on the same day?

I know they are very different games, but Blizzard has shown to be very effective in this strategy. 
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #6647 on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:35 AM

I don't think Diablo is as big a factor for TOR as some people are making it out to be.

Anyway, about the release date: while the suits at EA may have their agenda (which may include D3), I'm pretty sure from the Bioware end it's all being dictated by the feature lock. They really want to polish, and even with the lock, it's going to take time with something that massive. At least we've heard the lock was put in place, so it's inevitable now that feature creep shouldn't be a factor.
Amaron
Terracotta Army

Reply #6648 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:57 AM

Wild conjecture time!  What if Blizzard is waiting for SWTOR's release date to undercut them by announcing D3 will release on the same day?

I seriously doubt we will see this.  It's way too risky with no easily measurable benefit.  Plus it's a total long term strategy move.  For a publicly traded company to pull such a stunt just doesn't make enough sense to conventional business thinking.   WoW expansions are a different beast all together though.
luckton
Terracotta Army

Reply #6649 on: June 07, 2011, 07:50:39 AM

If the window hasn't changed, I'll go with December 6th, 2011 for release.  Gives them a couple weeks before Christmas to get it out, post-patch if needed and then enjoy the holiday.

Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: