Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102293 times)
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4340 on: August 10, 2010, 05:35:40 AM

Mass Effect MMO
Can we kill TOR and get this instead?  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4341 on: August 10, 2010, 07:18:06 AM

Strangely enough, this is pretty much mandatory for any new Star Wars production, ever since the first sequel (EP V) film.  

Nothing strange about it - it's a business.

Exactly. Every action movie since SW has had merchandising tie ins.

It's not even a really new idea.

Though Lucasfilm and Kenner gave us the modern fine tuning of the idea.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4342 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:49 AM

Exactly. Every action movie since SW has had merchandising tie ins.

Even if SW did refine the technique for "summer event" movies, it's not like it was the the first film to have related toys. Star Trek was pretty big on the whole spin-off merchandising thing too: novels, games, toys.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #4343 on: August 10, 2010, 04:24:34 PM

I can see lots of reasons SWTOR probably won't work - but I really don't understand what is so terrible about voice overs.

Absolute worst case is that they do what EQ2 did and give up on it shortly after launch. In which case, meh, they tried something, it didn't work out, everybody lived.

And it doesn't seem likely to impact mechanical design in any way whatsoever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #4344 on: August 10, 2010, 06:12:12 PM

Voice acting costs more money up front, increases the cost to make changes and places a number of constraints on the design regardless of whether you turn it on in game or not. The degree to which you can customise class / race, the number of races and the degree of customisation in your companions being the most obvious examples where flexibility is limited by the cost of having to do original, and expensive, voice over work for all of them.

Meanwhile the gain is.... pretty minimal since people will turn it off. Blizzard has already learnt people won't even really take the time to read quest text. Having an extended chat session, where you can only pick from the pre-scripted responses anyway, is unlikely to be much more popular. And unlike a single player RPG they'll quickly work out that a lot of the jabber is just a thin cover over the top of "Kill 20 Gungans" and won't lead to persistent changes in the world making it largely irrelevant.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4345 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:39 PM

I dunno about that being true for Bioware games. It's not universal for their games, anyway.

EDIT: Of course, I say this because I agree with you on the subject of Mass Effect (it's also why I never even tried Planescape: Torment  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?). It's also why I'm a little nose wrinkly over full voice in Dragon Age 2.
Kotor and NWN both had that "sandboxy" feel to them, imo. Multiple alignment possibilities, multiple outcomes to each questline, relative freedom of what order you experience the content, etc.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #4346 on: August 10, 2010, 08:53:56 PM

Did you miss the part where it's likely that the reason that it seems as though we will only be allowed Human +1 race for each class is because of voice tracks?  That's the most recent example of it (probably) affecting mechanical design.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #4347 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:23 PM

There is a huge difference between exploiting incidental merchandising tie-ins to a well-crafted movie (see Avatar for an example) and the having the entire production turned into an illogical and poorly-paced farce due to it being designed for the merchandising and licensing rather than the other way around (eg the Star Wars Episodes 1-3 and everything Star Wars since).

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #4348 on: August 11, 2010, 12:56:49 AM

Did you miss the part where it's likely that the reason that it seems as though we will only be allowed Human +1 race for each class is because of voice tracks?  That's the most recent example of it (probably) affecting mechanical design.

That last article stated that they still have more options (plural) to announce, while only one class (Trooper) doesn't have an optional race mentioned yet.  Stands to reason that it might not be just Human + 1 race per class.

Also that's more a cosmetic thing than a mechanical one.  Race doesn't usually affect much mechanics-wise.  Racial bonuses can be done by selecting a character's background from a list of options.  Starting area in this case is determined by character class.  I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could find or create enough human sounding races that work with the voices they have.  The main issue is that some of the iconic Star Wars races (Wookie, Rodian, Jawa, Tuskan Raider, and... whatever the hell Yoda is) don't have human voices or in Yoda's case speech patterns.  Sucks, because I'd love to play a Jawa smuggler, but it's not really mechanical design issue.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4349 on: August 11, 2010, 05:58:44 AM

As I said, I'm fine running around saying nothing but "Ootini!".  They could always put in filters for some races to give an accent.  That would actually be kind of innovative, so I know we won't see it.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #4350 on: August 11, 2010, 06:13:43 AM

There is a huge difference between exploiting incidental merchandising tie-ins to a well-crafted movie (see Avatar for an example) and the having the entire production turned into an illogical and poorly-paced farce due to it being designed for the merchandising and licensing rather than the other way around (eg the Star Wars Episodes 1-3 and everything Star Wars since).

I could write a lengthy post on exactly why using Avatar - a film made and sold purely on the grounds of showing off 3D and CGFX technology - is entirely the wrong example to use in support of your argument because I think it's fairly self-evident and also because it would probably bore more people than it would interest.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4351 on: August 11, 2010, 06:48:28 AM

Dude. Star Wars didnt' suck because Lucas wanted to sell toys. It sucked because he was and is a shitty moviemaker. The only thing that saved the first trilogy is that he managed to get some decent advice from his buddy FF Coppola, and some talented people on his team when starting out.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
Shatter
Terracotta Army

Reply #4352 on: August 11, 2010, 06:59:45 AM

Jawa Jedi, all im saying
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #4353 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:59 AM

Hell yeah!

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #4354 on: August 11, 2010, 08:25:03 AM

That sure would have made those stormtroopers think twice about taking their droids.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #4355 on: August 11, 2010, 04:46:10 PM

Can a Sith force-choke a bitch yet?  That's what I want to know!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #4356 on: August 11, 2010, 05:36:13 PM

Can a Sith force-choke a bitch yet?  That's what I want to know!

You can!

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #4357 on: August 11, 2010, 08:23:25 PM

Also that's more a cosmetic thing than a mechanical one.  Race doesn't usually affect much mechanics-wise. 

The likely greatest impact race will have on SWOR will be in the dialogue you get back from characters. You'll still be a humanoid, albeit with a funny haircut and / or face markings.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4358 on: August 12, 2010, 06:48:45 AM

Blizzard has already learnt people won't even really take the time to read quest text.
Blizzard has made a fortune tailoring their game to the LCD. Maybe some companies want to shoot a bit higher than the knuckle dragging clicktards.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #4359 on: August 12, 2010, 07:49:20 AM

Blizzard has already learnt people won't even really take the time to read quest text.
Blizzard has made a fortune tailoring their game to the LCD. Maybe some companies want to shoot a bit higher than the knuckle dragging clicktards.

It's exactly this attitude that is going to keep any games from ever coming close to wow's success.  Not because they are willing to pander but because the continually compare blizzard to mcdonalds or walmart.  Saying their games are so popular because they cater to "the great unwashed masses" is missing so many lessons. 

I'm waiting for game companies to instead of trying to copy wow or go in a completely different direction, use wow as a base and see what works and then doing their own game.  So far all I've seen are games trying their hardest to not be wow and repeating mistakes of eqdays(conan) or to be wow and just not getting it(WAR)

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4360 on: August 12, 2010, 08:49:08 AM

What is keeping companies from getting WoW success is the same thing keeping companies from Farmville success, or indeed Facebook success. You can't divine the next big thing, people just latch onto something and that's the thing. If you try to be that, you probably won't be.

If you adjust your budget and try for a traditional mmo marketshare, you have better chances at success. Nobody will succeed thinking they will get more than 100k subs or whatever the current bar is. Plan for the niche, budget for the niche, embrace the niche. Because the LCD will go back to WoW, for all their bitching that they're tired of it. It's got a critical mass that won't go away for a long time (EQ and UO are still around, ffs). Rule #1 of mmo design: you will not win WoW's audience, and there's not another 11 million players out there for you.

Then surprise, some game might catch the right buzz at the right time and catch everyone by surprise and be a massive success. In fact, that will most likely happen at some point. But nobody will know where or when or who, and it will catch them by complete surprise and only if they can keep up with the demands of success will we see another WoW.

But really, just focus on making a fun game that's not WoW. If AoC had launched with more Tortuga-style content, it would've been considered a success. But nobody here would be playing it, you'd all still be playing WoW. Because that's what people do, and it colors what you say and think. It's kind of humorous being one of the vast minority of non-WoW players seeing the bias from the outside.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4361 on: August 12, 2010, 08:52:25 AM

I wanna be The Guy!

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #4362 on: August 15, 2010, 05:42:37 AM

Seems to me that the unique selling point of SWTOR is essentially cut-scenes and they're gambling that players will enjoy watching really well crafted interactive cut-scenes.

There's a world of difference between the kind of scene we've already been shown, such as where you discuss why the Captain disobeyed orders and have the option to shoot him and the WoW quest text model. Blah blah, rats eating my grain, blah blah, kill ten and I give you exp and 20 silver, blah blah.

The differences are the scene is interesting to look at where the quest text box is not and you need to analyse and understand the scene to make a decision where the decision on a quest text box is almost always Accept.

It's actually a pretty brave and innovative gamble. They're gambling that, while there is a tradition of clicking through story in MMOs, that behaviour can be reversed by putting enough effort into making the delivery of story more watchable. It is likely it will not appear to many of the current MMOs gear-whores but may appeal to people who don't like MMOs because they're all basically number crunching. Frankly I'd be astonished if they win this bet but I'm certainly going along for the ride.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #4363 on: August 15, 2010, 10:00:00 AM

There's a reason mmo quests are typically just clickbox. It's because even then an mmo requires an ungodly amount of content to keep the players busy. I don't see any way they could make that amount of content with the kind of detail they've shown. This game will be a prime example of the typical 'big launch, dead in 6 months' pattern.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #4364 on: August 15, 2010, 10:17:35 AM

Just in case you didn't visit the official website, here's a little summary of the latest news (not much to report, anyway):

Jedi Knight section updated:
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/jedi-knight

Advanced specializations are Guardian (a tank, basically) and Sentinel (dual wielding, jack of all trades jedi knight, it seems). There are also a couple new screenshots, I think.

New "associate" (companion) unveiled, Droid T7-O1, for the Jedi Knight class:
http://www.swtor.com/info/holonet/biographies/t7-o1

From the description, it might be the same droid we can see in the "Deceived" trailer.
-----

Over the weekend, there was an event called "Star Wars Celebration V", with a couple panels dedicated to TOR, with developers attending and talking a bit about the game.

Day 1 Panel: http://darthhater.com/2010/08/13/swcv-live-blogging-from-the-art-and-writing-of-swtor/

...With a new piece of nice concept art (realized by Clint Young) unveiled. People speculate the (explorable?) planet represented might be Malachor V (KOTOR II).

Day 2 Panel: http://darthhater.com/2010/08/14/swcv-day-2-panel-live-blogging/

Apparently, judging from what those in the audience reported, during the panel Clint Young (senior concept artist for the environments) "accidentally" mentioned the name of  two more explorable planets, Endor  and Felucia (Clone Wars).  But no real confirmation about this.

In-depth interview with Drew Karpyshyn about the Jedi Knight class (he's the main writer for the entire story arc of that particular class. He also talks about the game in general):

http://darthhater.com/2010/08/15/interview-drew-karpyshyn-jedi-knight/

That's it.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4365 on: August 15, 2010, 12:20:44 PM

Most annoying zone in Force Unleashed is Felucia.  I'm sure Felucia will be the Dathomir of SWTOR for PvE levelling.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #4366 on: August 15, 2010, 12:49:40 PM

Drew's last name sounds like a Star Wars planet.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4367 on: August 15, 2010, 01:33:56 PM

Seems to me that the unique selling point of SWTOR is essentially cut-scenes and they're gambling that players will enjoy watching really well crafted interactive cut-scenes.

There's a world of difference between the kind of scene we've already been shown, such as where you discuss why the Captain disobeyed orders and have the option to shoot him and the WoW quest text model. Blah blah, rats eating my grain, blah blah, kill ten and I give you exp and 20 silver, blah blah.

The differences are the scene is interesting to look at where the quest text box is not and you need to analyse and understand the scene to make a decision where the decision on a quest text box is almost always Accept.

It's actually a pretty brave and innovative gamble. They're gambling that, while there is a tradition of clicking through story in MMOs, that behaviour can be reversed by putting enough effort into making the delivery of story more watchable. It is likely it will not appear to many of the current MMOs gear-whores but may appeal to people who don't like MMOs because they're all basically number crunching. Frankly I'd be astonished if they win this bet but I'm certainly going along for the ride.

I GOTTA WADE THROUGH THIS SHIT TO KILL MY 10 WOMP RATS?!?!?!

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #4368 on: August 15, 2010, 01:42:00 PM

no shit.  They will have to add some toggle to skip voice overs.  Remember when WoW launched we had to sit and wait for the quest log to write itself in?  I think one of the earliest mods was a quick quest writer.  Then Blizzard later just added insta quests to their mainline.  Making players wait without an option to skip is not "fun".
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4369 on: August 15, 2010, 01:53:21 PM

These people have already failed at understanding their playerbase, and the game isn't even out yet.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #4370 on: August 15, 2010, 02:26:52 PM

Or maybe they've decided to say, "fuck the min-maxers, we're going for atmosphere here."

If they did that, I applaud them, even if it is shooting yourself in the foot. Only time will tell.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #4371 on: August 15, 2010, 02:54:50 PM

You can only succeed at creating atmosphere if the quests are actual wartime objectives rather than just collecting rat tails. If people know they are doing a glorified fedex quest, no amount of bullshit conversation is going to help that.

Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #4372 on: August 15, 2010, 03:40:03 PM

Or maybe they've decided to say, "fuck the min-maxers, we're going for atmosphere here."

If they did that, I applaud them, even if it is shooting yourself in the foot. Only time will tell.

Either this or, more likely, they will get halfway towards doing this, get whined at by beta testers, make cut-scenes skippable and then wonder why the game failed when they made the only thing that the devs seemed to have crafted with care skippable for faster levelling.

I really hope they stick to their guns. Screw the guys who just want to kill 10 womp rats. Play the other 99% of MMOs.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #4373 on: August 15, 2010, 04:07:58 PM

You can only succeed at creating atmosphere if the quests are actual wartime objectives rather than just collecting rat tails. If people know they are doing a glorified fedex quest, no amount of bullshit conversation is going to help that.

Exactly. Fucking exactly. The reason people skip quest text is because the lore behind it is irrelevant to the gameplay. I did not read a single word of quest text in Wrath, and it didn't matter one whittle.
 I have far more hope that GW2's content is going to be immersive and atomospheric. Beta will tell, but that's my feeling.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 04:09:54 PM by Ratman_tf »

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #4374 on: August 15, 2010, 04:38:40 PM

If people know they are doing a glorified fedex quest, no amount of bullshit conversation is going to help that.

No man, if you don't bring this item to that other NPC WORLDS WITH END.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: