Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:42:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102159 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3885 on: June 16, 2010, 07:53:54 PM

Those both sound like utter shit. Dice rolls? Standing there for 120 seconds?

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3886 on: June 16, 2010, 08:16:12 PM

What the flying monkeyfuck was that video supposed to be?  How many new Jedi powers did they invent?  Jesus. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3887 on: June 16, 2010, 08:35:01 PM

Random dialog decisions?  Combined with enforced grouping, that may well be one of the most fantabulously stupid ideas to come out of the MMO genre ever.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3888 on: June 16, 2010, 08:41:20 PM

Where do you see forced grouping?
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3889 on: June 16, 2010, 08:51:06 PM

Multiplayer dialog system allowes each player to choose their own response, and an automatic dice roll decides the winning choice.

Oh my.

Edit: Among other things this absolutely kills PUGs.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:05:55 PM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3890 on: June 16, 2010, 08:54:16 PM

"It's YOUR story." is something I imagine telling to every player in a story-based MMO will not be without consequences.

This is going to be awesome.  Popcorn

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3891 on: June 16, 2010, 09:11:55 PM

especially with PvP
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3892 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:42 PM

Darth Hater - 17 minutes long video interview with Daniel Erickson, lead writer:

http://darthhater.com/2010/06/16/e3-daniel-erickson-interview/

Ask A Jedi - Interview with James Ohlen, Creative Director and Lead Designer

http://www.askajedi.com/2010/06/16/exclusive-james-ohlen-qa/

So if you're in a group, and you have two Sith Warriors, chances are they're both going to have the Vette companion - since you can apparently use them at any time.  

That's a bit...odd.

What I'm getting out of all this is:  
Approach it like a single player game, with co-op options and KOTOR combat, and you'll probably be happy or disappointed (depending on whether or not you liked KOTOR combat).
Approach it like a true MMO, and you'll probably be disappointed.

Edit:  The TOR forums are going to go nuclear when the two sides collide.

Oh BioWare Austin, you guys never learned, did you?

« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:20:37 PM by SnakeCharmer »
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3893 on: June 16, 2010, 11:33:24 PM

I'm constantly amazed at how all these interviews are managing to say absolutely nothing.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3894 on: June 17, 2010, 01:31:23 AM

I'm quite looking forward to guessing which the most unpopular dialogue choice is then rolling to see if I "win". Do I get to see what the sensible players have picked before I get to make my choice?

It's a social minigame in its own right.

To be fair it's kinda true to the IP. I can just imagine Leia in the original film saying "which one of you IDIOTS thought it'd be funny to pick we jump down the garbage chute?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 01:33:32 AM by Stabs »
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #3895 on: June 17, 2010, 01:57:58 AM

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46527/E3-2010-Live-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-MMO-Combat-Demo/ 

I guess it could be taken either way.  He states you can solo the content, but then he follows it up by saying that there will be content that you need a group to beat.  It all depends on what that group content happens to be, and whether it involves the storyline, or whatever.  Past experience is not on their side in this regard, however.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #3896 on: June 17, 2010, 02:42:04 AM

One of the things that does concern me on the voicing front is, how many voice options are we going to have for our characters?  It'd be a little disturbing to have few enough options that it is highly probable that other members of your group have the same voice as you.  On the other hand, it would be expensive to have a dozen+ voices for each gender, race, and class combination.  So it certainly feels likely that if I'm a human female Sith Warrior, other human female Sith Warriors have a good chance of having the same voice as me.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #3897 on: June 17, 2010, 03:59:30 AM

Lots of people will have the same face (and probably outfit) as you, so why not the same voice?
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3898 on: June 17, 2010, 04:26:27 AM

As of today, I'm very happy with the direction TOR is going: I loved KOTOR (and Bioware EDMONTON rpgs), pretty much enjoyed the PVE co-op campaigns of Guild Wars, I'm a socializer, roleplayer and quest-reading, cut-scene watching whore. I couldn't care less about gear collecting and so on; I may dabble a bit in PvP, but I'm not really interested in that. Hence, yes, unfortunately (or fortunately?) I  represent the minority in MMOG nowadays.

Regarding the use of companions (and related problems when it comes to immersion), Olhen pretty much said that currently you can use them anywhere, but it's one of those things that IMO will stay on the edge 'til the very last stages of beta. Same with that odd "group talking mini-game" system, I bet it's currently undergoing several iterations/modifications.

Yes, it sounds a bit contradictory: in a interview, they say this game is REALLY geared toward small, casual groups, especially PUGs, but the two systems mentioned above are really risky when two different kind of players collide. So, for everyone's sanity, it surely sounds better if you have a group of close friends playing with you.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #3899 on: June 17, 2010, 05:26:43 AM

Well shit. Now I'm depressed about my chances of liking this game.

If they put in some of the old Galaxies crafting aspects with minerals, I'll still play.
Crafting is WoW-like, apparently.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
tkinnun0
Terracotta Army

Reply #3900 on: June 17, 2010, 05:35:14 AM

So this is like AoC's Tortage, but from level 1-last? OK, I'm interested.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3901 on: June 17, 2010, 07:29:21 AM

http://e3.g4tv.com/videos/46527/E3-2010-Live-Star-Wars-The-Old-Republic-MMO-Combat-Demo/ 

I guess it could be taken either way.  He states you can solo the content, but then he follows it up by saying that there will be content that you need a group to beat.  It all depends on what that group content happens to be, and whether it involves the storyline, or whatever.  Past experience is not on their side in this regard, however.

They say this about every. single. MMO. ever.

Saying you can solo some things while group for others means absolutely nothing. Hello they even said that about the original EQ and we all know how solo friendly that game was(unless you were a druid)  Usually this comment just means that you'll be able to do 'something' when you log on but usually, not something really fun.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3902 on: June 17, 2010, 08:37:01 AM

I think the concern is they may over-compensate with the grouping incentives. Everything we know about the game so far suggests it will be more fun solo than group for the core part of the game (doing the 50 novels worth of cutscenes). The options to do your cutscenes with 2 minute waits and griefers picking the dumb choice for lolz are so utterly unappealing that they may do something like offer double exp or higher. This will then lead to 3 ways to progress.

- blitz the content with your uber mates (or second recruit-a-friend account) getting double exp while clicking all the Shortest Path To The Cheese options within seconds.
- solo
- join pugs and put up with the inevitable tortoise paced players and Go Go Go adhd bunny hoppers.

That means to be optimal, if you don't have a team of uber players waiting for you, you will need to dual box.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3903 on: June 17, 2010, 08:59:45 AM

Well most online games have solo content, group content and big group content.  At least most of them do anyway.  They're not forcing you to do the group content, or bigger group content.  Not like EQ forced you to group anyway.  There is no "forcing" you to do anything.  (Was that a pun?)
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3904 on: June 17, 2010, 09:05:10 AM

Not like EQ forced you to group anyway.  There is no "forcing" you to do anything. 
Oh, here we go again.

Fuck, they don't "force" you to wear armor, either, amirite?
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3905 on: June 17, 2010, 09:16:02 AM

http://darthhater.com/2010/06/15/general-information-learned-at-e3/

Multiplayer dialog system allowes each player to choose their own response, and an automatic dice roll decides the winning choice.

... the fuck? So quest options that can determine your individual character's story arc are reduced to loot rolls?

... THE FUCK?

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #3906 on: June 17, 2010, 09:26:19 AM

But will it have Lightsaber Bears?

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
kildorn
Terracotta Army

Reply #3907 on: June 17, 2010, 09:27:09 AM

That feature will destroy my online friendships. <3
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #3908 on: June 17, 2010, 09:29:04 AM

http://darthhater.com/2010/06/15/general-information-learned-at-e3/

... the fuck? So quest options that can determine your individual character's story arc are reduced to loot rolls?

... THE FUCK?

To be fair, there was another interview where they said there is a clear-cut difference between your individual class questlines (which other players cannot affect), and the world questlines (which are the dice roll ones).

I still think the whole system is idiotic, though.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3909 on: June 17, 2010, 09:38:32 AM

Just ensures that I won't be playing any sort of quest content with someone that isn't a mental clone of myself.  I guess if it's something in what will likely be a repetition based endgame, sure.  Otherwise, hell no.  Sorry friends.

And like some here, I'm mostly just worried about the cross contamination aspects of this being a MMO.  I'd be perfectly happy with my solo KOTOR3 with optional hey-my-friend-is-on, although groups with only 2 members sucked in NWN and will likely suck a bit here (ohh, none of you is a tank? *instagib*), but they're likely going to get a lot of MMO in it. Having a solo progression turn into the inevitable bait-and-switch "you must group with 9 morons to enjoy the rest of the story" typical end game shtick will be an all too unwelcome sight.

-Rasix
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3910 on: June 17, 2010, 09:43:46 AM

I was wrong when I said the raid and gear progression stuff was the first thing I heard about the game that I didn't like. I forgot about that whole group dialog decision thing. That's awful, not sure how to get around it. Even at f13 there was a regular user we had to kick out of EQ2 BC that I'd not want to deal with in that capacity, and several more who have unabashedly admitted their love of griefing.

Also, a minor snit: hate the release date. I like to play mmo in the winter, a spring release is awful! Bioware should really cater to my personal whims or their game totally sucks.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #3911 on: June 17, 2010, 10:01:06 AM

The F13 MMO Mantra:

I still think the whole system is idiotic, though.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Zane0
Terracotta Army

Reply #3912 on: June 17, 2010, 10:02:36 AM

The story isn't going to matter.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3913 on: June 17, 2010, 10:04:37 AM

The story isn't going to matter.

...after you finish it. Once the story exhausts itself, you're no longer the center of the universe, which was the crux of previous Bioware stories and game worlds.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3914 on: June 17, 2010, 10:39:02 AM

Not like EQ forced you to group anyway.  There is no "forcing" you to do anything. 
Oh, here we go again.

Fuck, they don't "force" you to wear armor, either, amirite?

Yeah just like those assholes at Nintendo force you to jump as Mario. 
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3915 on: June 17, 2010, 10:42:39 AM

Just ensures that I won't be playing any sort of quest content with someone that isn't a mental clone of myself.  I guess if it's something in what will likely be a repetition based endgame, sure.  Otherwise, hell no.  Sorry friends.

And like some here, I'm mostly just worried about the cross contamination aspects of this being a MMO.  I'd be perfectly happy with my solo KOTOR3 with optional hey-my-friend-is-on, although groups with only 2 members sucked in NWN and will likely suck a bit here (ohh, none of you is a tank? *instagib*), but they're likely going to get a lot of MMO in it. Having a solo progression turn into the inevitable bait-and-switch "you must group with 9 morons to enjoy the rest of the story" typical end game shtick will be an all too unwelcome sight.

I think I've heard them say that the full character story is soloable.  Nonentity already said that there are two types of quests; your personal story quests and general quest you group up to do.  You can group for your personal quests but you fully control them.

I kinda like how you don't know how it's going to end up with a group of people you're playing with randomly.  It makes the game a bit more exciting I think.

I'm slowing ... very slowly ... getting an idea of what they're making here.  I tend to get a bit more excited about it.  I'm now at the point where I'm mildly interested in this coming out whereas I was not really looking forward to it.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3916 on: June 17, 2010, 10:50:02 AM

I'm looking forward to the nerd tears.
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #3917 on: June 17, 2010, 11:05:09 AM

After SWG can there really be many of those left for this IP?

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Shrike
Terracotta Army

Reply #3918 on: June 17, 2010, 11:06:31 AM

I think I've heard them say that the full character story is soloable.  Nonentity already said that there are two types of quests; your personal story quests and general quest you group up to do.  You can group for your personal quests but you fully control them.

I kinda like how you don't know how it's going to end up with a group of people you're playing with randomly.  It makes the game a bit more exciting I think.

I'm slowing ... very slowly ... getting an idea of what they're making here.  I tend to get a bit more excited about it.  I'm now at the point where I'm mildly interested in this coming out whereas I was not really looking forward to it.

Interesting view. It reminds me of PSU. The single player game where you were stuck as whathisface...Ethan, and played through the backstory. Then you could roll-yer-own and do the neverending loot grind with friends and whatnot.

What distrubs me about the game is how awful it looks. EQ2 blew this away 6 years ago...and it wasn't great looking, with its overly plastic character models.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3919 on: June 17, 2010, 11:23:55 AM

After SWG can there really be many of those left for this IP?

Are you kidding? There's over 30 years worth of rose-tinted nostalgia, goo-goo eyed hero worship and Leia in steel bikini masturbatory fantasies waiting to be splooged out onto the Internet over this IP.

Pages: 1 ... 110 111 [112] 113 114 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: