Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:20:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102230 times)
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3850 on: June 16, 2010, 08:24:17 AM

If you can fly a ship around in space it will be far better than SWG.  At least you have a ship!
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3851 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:07 AM

WoW DAOC with lightsabers. Tres surprise

FIFY

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #3852 on: June 16, 2010, 08:26:33 AM

If they put in some of the old Galaxies crafting aspects with minerals, I'll still play.

Ohh god. Stop.  You're making my sides hurt.

Has it just not been said on this page yet? KOTOR3.

Hey, about the only fun I had in that game was mining stuff. Well, and setting up elaborate camps.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3853 on: June 16, 2010, 08:32:17 AM

If you can fly a ship around in space it will be far better than SWG.  At least you have a ship!

Ohhhhh, I see. Facepalm

-Rasix
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3854 on: June 16, 2010, 08:46:35 AM

I had no spaceship in SWG, if they got around to adding them later it was well after I quit and stopped caring about the game (2 days).  Star Wars without space is just Wars.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3855 on: June 16, 2010, 08:58:09 AM

Quote from: massively
Keeping the game accessible to the current MMO fanbase, the game will also include raids and a gear progression system
Ohhhhh, I see.

First bad thing I've heard about the game. I'm lying low and not bloodworthing TOR until I get a chance to play it, but the story heavy focus and solo-friendliness is what I'm all about. Following the bullet points thus far, it's been an ideal game for me...until the above quote. Fucking mmogtards and wow-aping. The success of WoW has really put a hurt on the genre's quality as a whole. The Jedi was an off-tank  Ohhhhh, I see.

If you know what an off-tank is, and like it, get off mah damned lawn.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3856 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:17 AM

2 and 3 and 4  The rules are whatever they say but the universe ignores them rather casually.  Lightsaber mass only matters sometimes so the kinetic energy it transmits only matters when they bother to remember.  Usually the energy wielders can transmit is pointless but it seems to matter in a very dramatic way when they are lightsaber fighting.  But go ahead and suggest that the lightsaber has a highly variable mass depending on what the person is doing.

I would consider your point valid if it wasn't analogous to watching the end of V for Vendetta and assuming that the greatest concern of the British Army was catching a stray paintball in the eye.  It's really irrelevant whether you think it should take more effort for them to cut through a CG droid, particularly since for the most part the actors don't walk around tapping the limbs off of things and instead swing their weapons as if a clean cut requires some force, which is the way they clarify it.

And yeah, the E3 videos are terrible.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3857 on: June 16, 2010, 10:32:07 AM

Keeping the game accessible to the current MMO fanbase, the game will also include raids and a gear progression system
Ohhhhh, I see.

First bad thing I've heard about the game.

oh you can't be serious.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3858 on: June 16, 2010, 11:04:13 AM

Hi! I'm not you.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3859 on: June 16, 2010, 11:48:00 AM

I had no spaceship in SWG, if they got around to adding them later it was well after I quit and stopped caring about the game (2 days).  Star Wars without space is just Wars.
Jump to Lightspeed.  The first expansion.  It was really well done.

I think you also missed how the ship you get in SWTOR is nothing more than instanced housing.  You aren't flying it around the galaxy.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3860 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:02 PM

Yeah, I missed the space house thing.  Sure, it might be good for parties but what about FLYING.  Sadness.  Maybe you will get unlimited gear storage?   

So the first MMO was WARS since you had no ship to start.  This one will also be WARS for the same reason.  I must be crazy expecting a STAR WARS game to launch with at least the ability to get on a ship and fly it from place to place on your own.  I am not even asking for the ability to shoot other players =(  Who knows, maybe there will be questlines where you are attacked and boarded. 

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3861 on: June 16, 2010, 12:16:32 PM

I'm guessing they mean its like kotor - you fly your spaceship from planet to planet by pressing a button marked 'fly to planet' then watching a cutscene. Plus you can dump all your spare trousers in a locker somewhere on board.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3862 on: June 16, 2010, 12:18:48 PM

Yeah, well, SWG at launch didn't have Wars either, but what are you going to do.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #3863 on: June 16, 2010, 12:21:53 PM

It totally had Wars over the 998 conductivity platinite copper spawns.  awesome, for real

(I was actually pretty impressed by JTL... it wasn't a bad space sim at least for a keyboard-and-mouse scrub like me, plus I got X-wing vs Tie fighter vibes from it!)

Pezzle
Terracotta Army

Reply #3864 on: June 16, 2010, 12:45:53 PM

Yeah, well, SWG at launch didn't have Wars either, but what are you going to do.

Not play?
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3865 on: June 16, 2010, 01:18:24 PM

WoW DAOC with lightsabers. Tres surprise

FIFY

No Joke.

I could live with it actually being WoW with lightsabres, but it hasn't even hit that mark.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3866 on: June 16, 2010, 01:20:02 PM

Found a few videos of actual gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/user/21rusZoom#p/u/0/dByXaLN2SiQ

I think that's all new at least, I don't recognize it.

That looks INCREDIBLY assy.

Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #3867 on: June 16, 2010, 01:54:58 PM

Pretty much everything in those videos is exactly as I expected.  Looks like Knights of the Old Republic with multiple players.  As far as I'm concerned, I agree with Sky in that I have heard little to nothing that I would personally consider bad about this game, and the raid thing is kinda the only thing that really concerns me much at all, since it's so easy to do badly, it seems - especially as far as story is concerned.  Now, I have potential issues with all the voicework they're doing (good idea but might slow down content production going forward) but the game itself looks fine to me, other than minor 'gameplay trumps logic' annoyances that consist of things like jedi vs. anyone else, lightsabers, and cover.

SWTOR, what little I've seen of it so far, is basically what I want out of it.  It seems trendy to put it down for some reason, but personally I only grow more enthusiastic each time I see something new on it, pretty much.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3868 on: June 16, 2010, 01:58:12 PM

The people who can't wait for this game are treating it as KOTOR3 with co-op, which is my expectation.  I think I will be happy with that.  If you are trying to picture a more awesome WOW then you will probably hate it.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3869 on: June 16, 2010, 01:59:13 PM

Yeah I'm kind of in the same place as Koyasha. I don't actually get MORE excited about it with more previews, and I wouldn't say I'm super jazzed about it in general, but it looks like it will be an entertaining enough second MMO for a few months which is all I really want it to be anyway.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #3870 on: June 16, 2010, 02:01:43 PM

SWTOR, what little I've seen of it so far, is basically what I want out of it.  It seems trendy to put it down for some reason, but personally I only grow more enthusiastic each time I see something new on it, pretty much.
Pretty much my feeling.  I expect nothing but WoW is space with less content and maybe less polish.

But I will have my black Jedi.  With his space cornrows.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #3871 on: June 16, 2010, 02:02:18 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, I am trying to wrap my head around that sentience too, it means what we think it means, and doesn't make sense, or they mean something else that I can't fathom. Perhaps they mean "Because its common and familiar from other games".

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3872 on: June 16, 2010, 02:04:15 PM

Found a few videos of actual gameplay here: http://www.youtube.com/user/21rusZoom#p/u/0/dByXaLN2SiQ

That looks INCREDIBLY assy.

Yeah. Pretty bad. I hated the look of the entire world. Hearing "Sepratist" in a non-Clone Wars setting was grating. Hell I prefer how FFXI combat plays out over this.

What really got me was the Twi'lek's hand when she was pointing at the guy remaining stationary, and how they waited until he was out of the cage and stepped that far away from it to kill him.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3873 on: June 16, 2010, 02:45:21 PM

Even with it just being KotOR3, I expect more.  It feels like a step back from ME1 and ME2, both having been released since the first and second KotOR.  I know it's a different studio and all, but that's why my excitement has dwindled.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3874 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:05 PM

Did anyone else see any issues with the physique of the quest NPC? I got Bruce Timm vibes.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3875 on: June 16, 2010, 03:05:47 PM

Ohhhhh, I see.

Yeah, I am trying to wrap my head around that sentience too, it means what we think it means, and doesn't make sense, or they mean something else that I can't fathom. Perhaps they mean "Because its common and familiar from other games".

It means, "we want stupid people money, and stupid people fear change and the unknown, so we're including raids and gear progression because y'all are too stupid to like something new."

Also, awesome Freudian fingerslip
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3876 on: June 16, 2010, 03:11:21 PM

The people who can't wait for this game are treating it as KOTOR3 with co-op, which is my expectation.  I think I will be happy with that.  If you are trying to picture a more awesome WOW then you will probably hate it.

I'd be fine with KotOR3 with co-op, unless I have to pay a subscription fee. If that's what it will be, it can go fuck right off.

My biggest problem is that everything I see, especially the gameplay videos, are so terribly underwhelming even with the idea that it's KotOR3 with co-op. The animations look like typical DIKU shit only with pew pew - and pew pew makes DIKU combat animation look supremely stupid.Their choice of the WoW/TF2 low-poly models for the characters really really bugs me on this title. That first video linked above with the Twi'Lek and human talking to Greedo's great great grandpa was horrible. The shadows look poured on with paint bucket. All the things about the TF2 style that TF2 does right, this does absolutely wrong.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3877 on: June 16, 2010, 03:33:09 PM

Even with it just being KotOR3, I expect more.  It feels like a step back from ME1 and ME2, both having been released since the first and second KotOR.  I know it's a different studio and all, but that's why my excitement has dwindled.

That would've been rad, having the ME style combat for the shooting classes.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3878 on: June 16, 2010, 03:51:15 PM

That would've been rad, having the ME style combat for the shooting classes.

There's no Jedi / melee equivalent. It was terrible in Mass Effect aside from get close and spam. A high enough difficulty made the notion of melee suicide.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3879 on: June 16, 2010, 03:54:02 PM

This entire video looks like an early episode of red vs blue only without the jokes.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3880 on: June 16, 2010, 04:43:22 PM

There's no Jedi / melee equivalent. It was terrible in Mass Effect aside from get close and spam. A high enough difficulty made the notion of melee suicide.
That's not what I mean, although that could be cribbed then altered to work.  I mean it looks like complete ass in all forms of design and story.  Other than a slight graphics upgrade, it's not even an improvement on KotOR.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3881 on: June 16, 2010, 04:47:10 PM

Sorry was responding to Fordel more than your comments. Mass Effect is not known for its melee combat; it's awkward as all shit get out. A system that requires both good melee and shooting has neither be as good as a system that focuses on one or the other.

The best example I can think of is Dark Forces: Jedi Knight or Force Unleashed, but ... yeah.

Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #3882 on: June 16, 2010, 04:49:44 PM

Darth Hater - 17 minutes long video interview with Daniel Erickson, lead writer:

http://darthhater.com/2010/06/16/e3-daniel-erickson-interview/

Ask A Jedi - Interview with James Ohlen, Creative Director and Lead Designer

http://www.askajedi.com/2010/06/16/exclusive-james-ohlen-qa/

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3883 on: June 16, 2010, 05:37:43 PM

Sorry was responding to Fordel more than your comments. Mass Effect is not known for its melee combat; it's awkward as all shit get out. A system that requires both good melee and shooting has neither be as good as a system that focuses on one or the other.

The best example I can think of is Dark Forces: Jedi Knight or Force Unleashed, but ... yeah.

That's true, there haven't been many (if any really) games that have been able to juggle Melee AND Shooting together really nicely.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3884 on: June 16, 2010, 07:50:59 PM

http://darthhater.com/2010/06/15/general-information-learned-at-e3/

Multiplayer dialog system allowes each player to choose their own response, and an automatic dice roll decides the winning choice.

If you are in a group and initiate a quest dialog, the other members in your group have two minutes to reach the conversation point. If they don't make it, you have the option to start the conversation without your groupmates.

Interesting.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: