Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 04:20:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102456 times)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3640 on: June 01, 2010, 12:26:49 PM

BioWare talks smack to other MMO developers: "MMOs had no fun and no point... until we came along! Story story story!"

I'm sure there is some saying about something happening right after pride, but I can't quite remember it.

I can respect what SWOTR is trying to do. I play rpg's for 2 reasons story and strategy, and something labeling itself as mmorpg should deliver that not water it down or hide it under a bunch of backwater game design. At least from a pve perspective anyway Unfortunately SWOTR is tagging online "epic" story with copy and paste mmo game design just the same way recent mmo's tagged "next gen combat" to copy and paste mmo game design (age of conan, chronicles of spellborn) . This is a hard sale for me paste a free trial, you can't sell me star wars IP because that's nothing but guys with robes and laser swords to me. Can't sell me an mmo because your going full hellgate london. Maybe being on sale and a 3 week trial might due the trick lolz.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3641 on: June 01, 2010, 01:28:18 PM

I admire what they are trying to do to, but I wish they didn't come off as "Bioware is about to make you its bitch." with their marketing message and interviews.

They are setting people up for a fall worse than any Sith (or John Romero) could experience.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #3642 on: June 01, 2010, 04:42:08 PM

Half the fun in an MMO is showing off your character and messing around with other players, which has little to do with a pre-written story. One "story" I remember in WoW was when a friend and I were playing Horde characters and when I went off to pick up a quest, he made friends with an alliance character (they did silly emotes to each other). I got back to my friend, saw the alliance character and killed him. My friend then explained what had happened while I was gone.

It may not seem like a great story but it I remember it fondly. I couldn't tell you any of the backstory to any of the quests I did or dungeons I went in.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3643 on: June 01, 2010, 05:01:20 PM

Actually the half the fun in an mmo is looking back and going "did I just survive that" and talking shit about it.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3644 on: June 01, 2010, 05:12:29 PM

Actually the half the fun in an mmo is looking back and going "did I just survive that" and talking shit about it.

Actually, half the fun of an MMO is bashing it on f13.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3645 on: June 01, 2010, 05:23:27 PM

There are a lot of halves to fun.

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3646 on: June 01, 2010, 05:34:11 PM

Knowing is half the battle?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #3647 on: June 01, 2010, 06:18:21 PM

They're so cute and innocent... like little kittens frolicking on the train tracks. They really need to get some Jaded MMO gamers in there and see what they think of their story, how long it takes them to blast through the content (and write spoilers) and the holes they find in game balance.

Alternatively they've given up on the existing MMO people and are trying to convince the star wars fan's and single player RPG fan's that they are different from all those other nasty MMO's.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3648 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:36 PM

Actually, half the fun of an MMO is bashing it on f13.

Actually that's 99% of the fun in playing a shitty mmo...which most mmos are  roflcopter
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3649 on: June 01, 2010, 07:06:15 PM

Star Wars: The Old Republic will finally bring real story to the genre.

First time I've heard that promise!  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #3650 on: June 01, 2010, 08:28:31 PM

Yes, because MMO gamers care so deeply about the story.   swamp poop

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3651 on: June 02, 2010, 01:20:33 AM

I admire what they are trying to do to, but I wish they didn't come off as "Bioware is about to make you its bitch." with their marketing message and interviews.

I agree. Snarky and antagonistic seems to be the new preferred method of selling the Bioware Experiencetm, and it's not really working for me. Sure, CVG probably scoured the interview transcript for the most provocative bits they could find and planted them blissfully devoid of context as classy mags often do, but even so, that was weak. The only vaguely interesting bit in there was the one about challenging sacred cows, and even that is straight out of "Designing for Dummies 101".

I don't know about you guys, but I've had it with all this fourth pillar talk. It's as if Bioware has Alzheimer's and keeps forgetting we've heard the same spiel regurgitated over and over again. Please, for sanity's sake, talk about something else already. Or, better yet, show it.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3652 on: June 02, 2010, 02:21:16 AM

BioWare talks smack to other MMO developers: "MMOs had no fun and no point... until we came along! Story story story!"

I'm sure there is some saying about something happening right after pride, but I can't quite remember it.

Alternately, you could have titled that quote as "Bioware agrees with what a lot of what many on F13 have said about MMO's, but we have to tear them apart anyway because being jaded and cynical about MMO's still hasn't gotten the least bit old  and repetitive after over a decade of doing it".
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3653 on: June 02, 2010, 02:45:58 AM

I don't think that [MMO creators] set out in the beginning to say: 'Hey, let's make this a grind. Let's not have any interesting content here.' A lot of the better ones more recently have interesting content for the first few levels, you know - and some of them for the first 20 levels, whatever.

The thing that has been a challenge for us on Old Republic is that people tried to convince us these limitations were canon - that they were to be respected, you know? That you could not, in fact, put interesting bits in an MMO because that was now sacrilege.

I'm sorry what?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 03:03:02 AM by Margalis »

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3654 on: June 02, 2010, 03:20:41 AM

The idea in the latter quote is sound, even if Erickson does his best to smear it by douchy delivery. Of course challenging preconceived notions and questioning sacred cows is important, no matter what you're designing. What's funny is that this is coming from Bioware, the company that keeps making its one staple RPG over and over again, and built its reputation on delivering polish instead of innovation.

Unless you count actually delivering polish as innovative, of course.  awesome, for real

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3655 on: June 02, 2010, 03:32:08 AM

Unless you count actually delivering polish as innovative, of course.  awesome, for real

You do in the MMO-space.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3656 on: June 02, 2010, 05:27:27 AM

I don't think that [MMO creators] set out in the beginning to say: 'Hey, let's make this a grind. Let's not have any interesting content here.' A lot of the better ones more recently have interesting content for the first few levels, you know - and some of them for the first 20 levels, whatever.

The thing that has been a challenge for us on Old Republic is that people tried to convince us these limitations were canon - that they were to be respected, you know? That you could not, in fact, put interesting bits in an MMO because that was now sacrilege.

I'm sorry what?

Try reading back through the last 100 pages of this thread and make a list of every time somebody says something along the lines of "MMO players don't care about story.  It's stupid to put so much emphasis on it".
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3657 on: June 02, 2010, 05:49:45 AM

Alternately, you could have titled that quote as "Bioware agrees with what a lot of what many on F13 have said about MMO's, but we have to tear them apart anyway because being jaded and cynical about MMO's still hasn't gotten the least bit old  and repetitive after over a decade of doing it".

Sort of.  There is a lot of criticism of MMOs being pointless and a lot of times not fun here, but there solution offered has rarely or never been "hey, lets make it more like a single player game."   I don't want a single player game, I want a GOOD MMO game.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3658 on: June 02, 2010, 07:23:19 AM

I'm jaded and cynical about anyone who comes out and says they have fixed all the problems and hold all the answers. Besides, I've heard this tune (or variations of it) before.

It's easy to point out the problems with MMOs, but my issue is that for most MMOs the story is secondary to the player experience in the world. Sure, BioWare is trying to tie the two together, but I see them having to actually deliver on a lot of expectations and wonder how tightly the player experience are going to be tied to the story. I get that the writer sees story as "the point" MMOs have been missing, but that certainly isn't the whole picture. Especially when BioWare announces classes, skill trees and advanced classes just like pretty much every other MMO in existence.

Also: stories end. MMOs work best if they are open-ended. So either the SWOR story is going to have some sort of conclusion that won't be released for another 5 years or players are going to get to the 'max' level having reached the conclusion of their character story and the main content option is to start again.

Seriously, any company that makes these kind of statements really has to put up. BioWare doesn't get a free pass on stupidity and over-hype.

Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3659 on: June 02, 2010, 07:49:43 AM

MMOs work best if they are open-ended.
Fuck yeah, BC will be raiding the Darth Wibble zone friday night! That's open-ended gameplay, you can pick from any of the fabulous raids in the game. Genetically different, baby.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3660 on: June 02, 2010, 08:40:04 AM

I don't think they mean to be snarky or superior. I think what we're seeing is the result of people being locked together in an ivory tower "making something amazing" and talking to each other about it all day long.

Remember Paul Barnett was just some bloke in the office that Marketing suddenly spotted as being more genuinely enthusiastic than they could get any actor to pretend to be.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3661 on: June 02, 2010, 08:57:38 AM

MMOs work best if they are open-ended.
Fuck yeah, BC will be raiding the Darth Wibble zone friday night! That's open-ended gameplay, you can pick from any of the fabulous raids in the game. Genetically different, baby.

You bastard. I made this super awkward high-pitched squeak while laughing, and the office door happened to be open. Happy now?

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3662 on: June 02, 2010, 09:01:32 AM

I think it's time someone comes along and says Bioware AUSTIN again.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #3663 on: June 02, 2010, 09:06:43 AM

-Rasix
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3664 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:25 AM

Bioware isn't infalliable.  I'm having a hard time coping with the start of Baldur's Gate II:

1. The ration of zones explored to elves in party is 2:2.
2. I have seen no less than three genies.
3. Shadow Thieves.  When I heard WUA mention this I thought he was making a funny about stupid RPG names.  Guess not.
4. Random unmarked traps.  Fuck you too Bioware.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3665 on: June 02, 2010, 02:08:16 PM

You can lay the blame for "Shadow Thieves" at the feet of Ed Greenwood, not Bioware.

Also put more points in Find/Remove Traps.  tongue

EDIT: Sure, I'll go for the extra nerd points - technically the ratio is 2:1.5.  why so serious?

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3666 on: June 02, 2010, 02:15:30 PM

I'm jaded and cynical about anyone who comes out and says they have fixed all the problems and hold all the answers. Besides, I've heard this tune (or variations of it) before.

It's easy to point out the problems with MMOs, but my issue is that for most MMOs the story is secondary to the player experience in the world. Sure, BioWare is trying to tie the two together, but I see them having to actually deliver on a lot of expectations and wonder how tightly the player experience are going to be tied to the story. I get that the writer sees story as "the point" MMOs have been missing, but that certainly isn't the whole picture. Especially when BioWare announces classes, skill trees and advanced classes just like pretty much every other MMO in existence.

Also: stories end. MMOs work best if they are open-ended. So either the SWOR story is going to have some sort of conclusion that won't be released for another 5 years or players are going to get to the 'max' level having reached the conclusion of their character story and the main content option is to start again.

Seriously, any company that makes these kind of statements really has to put up. BioWare doesn't get a free pass on stupidity and over-hype.

So essentially, linking to this article was just an excuse to make the same tired arguments that have already been made dozens of times in this thread.  Congrats.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3667 on: June 02, 2010, 02:17:16 PM

So essentially, linking to this article was just an excuse to make the same tired arguments that have already been made dozens of times in this thread.  Congrats.

Its Star Wars, its an MMO, and they haven't released significant new information about the game in ages.  Put that all together and you get a lot of posts, a really long thread, and not really much to say all the same.  This shouldn't be surprising enough to even feign outrage.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3668 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:33 PM

People pissing and moaning about the quality of this thread may want to consider how there will be no meaningful information to talk about until November at the earliest.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3669 on: June 02, 2010, 03:02:48 PM

You can lay the blame for "Shadow Thieves" at the feet of Ed Greenwood, not Bioware.

Also put more points in Find/Remove Traps.  tongue

EDIT: Sure, I'll go for the extra nerd points - technically the ratio is 2:1.5.  why so serious?

1. That actually explains a lot:

2. It's maxed.  It just has to stop fucking turning off every time a goblin appears.

3. 2:1 even, depending on how you consider interiors.  Apparently all three female love interests are some variant of elf too, and one looks like it would be a clear-cut case of statutory rape.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3670 on: June 02, 2010, 03:19:23 PM

Eh, she's an elf, so she's probably like 80.  Ohhhhh, I see.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3671 on: June 02, 2010, 03:27:20 PM

When you apply realistic cultural standards to a fantastical one, of course you're going to be all "WTF that's WRONG and BACKWARDS" when something that works for that particular universe and people is presented.

DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3672 on: June 02, 2010, 03:37:27 PM

Sort of.  There is a lot of criticism of MMOs being pointless and a lot of times not fun here, but there solution offered has rarely or never been "hey, lets make it more like a single player game."   I don't want a single player game, I want a GOOD MMO game.

I don't want a good mmo, I want a good game. WoW and EvE are good mmo's, I play neither because they are horrible games. Besides why pay to play a horrible game when there are more than enough horrible games on the market that are free and massive multiplayer? A good game would make a great mmo, while a good mmo makes a bad game. Being good at your genre means shit, for example Transformers 2 is a good action movie but a horrible movie. While Star Trek is a good movie, and because it was a good movie and had alll the things that make a movie good it was also a great action movie. Or District 9 for example which downright embarrassed 3 of the big budget action/scifi movies during the summer because it was a good movie first. I watched transformers 2 online, star trek and district 9 i watched in theater. I'm waiting for the day when people realize that they don't want to pay $15 a month for  a  good mmo...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3673 on: June 02, 2010, 03:53:19 PM

People pissing and moaning about the quality of this thread may want to consider how there will be no meaningful information to talk about until November at the earliest.

So we need to reiterate the same shit ad nauseam?  If there's nothing to talk about, one would think it would be fairly easy to just not say shit.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3674 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:00 PM

So we need to reiterate the same shit ad nauseam?  If there's nothing to talk about, one would think it would be fairly easy to just not say shit.

Which is why in my post that says more or less the same thing I put the emphasis on the fact that this was Star Wars related, and therefore impossible to stay quiet about.
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: