Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:59:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 6 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102359 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3395 on: April 28, 2010, 08:35:07 AM

Doing something just for the sake of being original, regardless of whether or not it fits in with the kind of game you're making is a bad idea.  Is it possible to identify with a squad if characters like you did in X-Com?  Sure, but in a completely different manner than Bioware uses in their games.  It doesn't fit to have seven classes that all have personal stories, and then have one class that made up of generic fodder.  Even if you take in a role as their commander, your options in conversations would largely be limited to "yes sir".
I guess I need to be a little more direct than not so subtle references:  Mass Effect.  Shepard is a soldier and a bad-ass, not fodder.

Not that I see anything wrong with a Mastermind equivalent.  I was quite capable of assigning my robots personalities since I could name them.  It wouldn't be a stretch to allow actual personalities being assigned, whether by the writers or a player choice at creation, since the stories are custom written for each class anyways.  We already know they're not going that route though, so I'm not sure it matters.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3396 on: April 28, 2010, 08:44:12 AM

On the road to page 100; still waiting for BioWare to release more meat on the game.

... which they shouldn't, because telling people the truth will only destroy their dreams.

SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3397 on: April 28, 2010, 09:00:32 AM

Shepard is a soldier and a bad-ass, not fodder.

Splitting hairs maybe, but he's a Spectre.  At the same time, he can be any number of other 'classes', but what makes him the supreme bad ass is the Spectre designation.

Not really sure if I am disagreeing with you or not, so...Yeah.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3398 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:14 AM

Shepard got chosen to be a Spectre because of her abilities as a soldier.  All that designation did is give her a new series of pick up lines and made it so the military requested she take missions instead of ordering her.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3399 on: April 28, 2010, 09:33:32 AM

Shepard existed in a universe where there were no Jedi to whoop his ass.  Ohhhhh, I see.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #3400 on: April 28, 2010, 09:38:20 AM

Shepard got chosen to be a Spectre because of her abilities as a soldier.  All that designation did is give her a new series of pick up lines and made it so the military requested she take missions instead of ordering her.

Maybe.

But Spectre's got better gear and training than non Spectres.  And if I remember right, they got new abilities in ME1.  I might be wrong though.  Or was it just bonuses to damage or existing abilities?

Would a Jedi or Sith still be a Jedi or Sith without someone handing them a saber and training them?
LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3401 on: April 28, 2010, 10:08:23 AM

Her abilities? Don't you mean his?

I keed. :P

Shepard has a plot shield much the same way a Jedi "bound by destiny" (needing to survive for sake of plot) has one. If we were to honestly put Shepard up against a Jedi, then Shepard would be fucked the hell up in most class specifications except if Shepard was a biotic which is about as equivalent to the Force as you can get. At that point the lightsaber would be the advantage for the Jedi as Shepard couldn't use guns and Mass Effect characters aren't good at close range (Krogan & Shotguns excluded, but a Jedi thinking tactically wouldn't let themselves get pegged by a shotgun).

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3402 on: April 28, 2010, 11:57:05 AM

A 'mech would kick both their asses.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3403 on: April 28, 2010, 12:55:34 PM

Maybe.

But Spectre's got better gear and training than non Spectres.  And if I remember right, they got new abilities in ME1.  I might be wrong though.  Or was it just bonuses to damage or existing abilities?

Would a Jedi or Sith still be a Jedi or Sith without someone handing them a saber and training them?

Last I checked, Shepherd's special training consisted of a rousing tune played pianoforte while being told by some blue council wench that "hey, you're a spectre now, go do spectre shit.".

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3404 on: April 28, 2010, 01:02:05 PM

This thread is past 100k views.

Even 'that' twitch thread only made 63k. Only a year to go before launch!

f13 sure does love to talk about star wars.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3405 on: April 28, 2010, 01:12:15 PM

If we were to honestly put Shepard up against a Jedi, then Shepard would be fucked the hell up in most class specifications except if Shepard was a biotic which is about as equivalent to the Force as you can get. At that point the lightsaber would be the advantage for the Jedi as Shepard couldn't use guns and Mass Effect characters aren't good at close range (Krogan & Shotguns excluded, but a Jedi thinking tactically wouldn't let themselves get pegged by a shotgun).

Kinda hard to say any of that considering the Star Wars franchise isn't consistent with how powerful the Jedi are.  I'd say in the original Trilogy, they way they're portrayed I think they'd be very beatable.  Even the prequel Jedi would be vulnerable to heavy weapons though (can't block explosions or fire with a lightsaber).
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3406 on: April 28, 2010, 01:21:03 PM

Maybe some jedi are more powerful than other jedi.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3407 on: April 28, 2010, 01:22:25 PM

Like they're higher level or something!

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3408 on: April 28, 2010, 01:32:06 PM

All the Jedi in the original trilogy are characters that should be fairly powerful (and I'm sure if Lucas had the technology he'd edit that Vader Obi-Wan fight to have them doing flips and force power shit).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3409 on: April 28, 2010, 01:44:01 PM

Maybe they don't want to make the Trooper squad based, because it would be 4x the voice work and writing to really flesh out a 4 man squad.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3410 on: April 28, 2010, 03:09:20 PM

All the Jedi in the original trilogy are characters that should be fairly powerful (and I'm sure if Lucas had the technology he'd edit that Vader Obi-Wan fight to have them doing flips and force power shit).

Maybe the Jedi in the original trilogy are just so fucking powerful that they are beyond your ability to comprehend how awesome they are.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3411 on: April 28, 2010, 03:43:35 PM

Maybe they don't want to make the Trooper squad based, because it would be 4x the voice work and writing to really flesh out a 4 man squad.

Nothing says they have to be anything more than a squad of drones with the player being the commander.  Check WUA's Radicalthon if you need proof.

None of this would be a problem if Lucas hadn't gone totally super-saiyan with the Jedi.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3412 on: April 28, 2010, 03:57:50 PM

Maybe the Jedi in the original trilogy are just so fucking powerful that they are beyond your ability to comprehend how awesome they are.

If only there was such an easy explanation as to why the main villain of all six movies is dispatched not through force powers or lightsaber combat, but from being picked up and tossed down a big fucking pit.  Something akin to the conversation between Yoda and Dooku about how they're too evenly matched with force powers so the fight has to be decided with lightsabers, except it would be more like:

Emperor:  It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force but by our skills with a ... WHAT THE FUCK, PUT ME DOWN!?!

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3413 on: April 28, 2010, 04:01:37 PM

Nothing says they have to be anything more than a squad of drones with the player being the commander.  Check WUA's Radicalthon if you need proof.

None of this would be a problem if Lucas hadn't gone totally super-saiyan with the Jedi.

That would be super-saiyan with different Jedi in a different time period? If only there was some way lore could be devised in such that martial power balance might change over the course of several millennia...

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3414 on: April 28, 2010, 04:04:41 PM

Lucas' current mode of explaining away the differences between the series is as follows.   Luke was barely trained, Obi-Wan was an old man near death (you didn't see Tyrannus doing a lot of flip-flops, either) and Vader is a mechanical monstrosity with only one real limb.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3415 on: April 28, 2010, 04:25:54 PM

If only there was such an easy explanation as to why the main villain of all six movies is dispatched not through force powers or lightsaber combat, but from being picked up and tossed down a big fucking pit.  Something akin to the conversation between Yoda and Dooku about how they're too evenly matched with force powers so the fight has to be decided with lightsabers, except it would be more like:

Emperor:  It is obvious that this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force but by our skills with a ... WHAT THE FUCK, PUT ME DOWN!?!

It's like poetry they rhyme, every stanza ryhmes with....    oh man I crack myself up.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3416 on: April 28, 2010, 04:35:52 PM

That would be super-saiyan with different Jedi in a different time period? If only there was some way lore could be devised in such that martial power balance might change over the course of several millennia...

Just FYI: The Old Republic where they would have to place the improved technology for Jedi fighting is before the super-saiyan prequels, not after.

Which is before the original trilogy where it's old men fighting cyborgs, fighting young men, fighting an old man who gets thrown into a pit by a cyborg - apparently the Jedi's Achilles heel.  Which is why Luke is the most awesome Jedi ever: not just once, but twice he manages to escape from certain doom in a pit.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3417 on: April 28, 2010, 04:47:34 PM

I don't even know who is arguing what anymore at this point!  why so serious?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
pxib
Terracotta Army

Reply #3418 on: April 28, 2010, 04:51:06 PM

Which is before the original trilogy where it's old men fighting cyborgs, fighting young men, fighting an old man who gets thrown into a pit by a cyborg - apparently the Jedi's Achilles heel.  Which is why Luke is the most awesome Jedi ever: not just once, but twice he manages to escape from certain doom in a pit.
So the lack of permadeath is canon.

if at last you do succeed, never try again
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #3419 on: April 28, 2010, 05:04:28 PM

Like they're higher level or something!
Or like they put more points in their midichlorian count stat.
Ollie
Terracotta Army

Reply #3420 on: April 29, 2010, 02:25:30 AM

I don't even know who is arguing what anymore at this point!  why so serious?

Precisely the reason I feel really good about sitting this one out. SW lore is far too serious a business. I'd just break down in tears, and no one needs to see that.

Hug me, I'm Finnish!
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3421 on: April 29, 2010, 03:56:36 AM

Lucas' current mode of explaining away the differences between the series is as follows.   Luke was barely trained, Obi-Wan was an old man near death (you didn't see Tyrannus doing a lot of flip-flops, either) and Vader is a mechanical monstrosity with only one real limb.

Not even that. The only limb he didn't lose against Obi-Wan was his cybernetic one. Dude was literally a head, torso, and some stumps inside that suit. Someone on another forum once kicked off a giant nerd-war by posing the question of whether Ep. 3 Anakin could take out Ep. 4-6 Vader if they somehow fought.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3422 on: April 29, 2010, 04:32:52 AM

Not even that. The only limb he didn't lose against Obi-Wan was his cybernetic one. Dude was literally a head, torso, and some stumps inside that suit. Someone on another forum once kicked off a giant nerd-war by posing the question of whether Ep. 3 Anakin could take out Ep. 4-6 Vader if they somehow fought.

I'm not going to get involved but...Episode 3 Anakin would totally kick Vader's ass. As would Episode 3 Obi Wan or Yoda.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #3423 on: April 29, 2010, 05:37:20 AM

Both would break down crying over Padme, and how mean the Jedi were. Tie.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3424 on: April 29, 2010, 11:29:51 AM

I'm not going to get involved but...Episode 3 Anakin would totally kick Vader's ass. As would Episode 3 Obi Wan or Yoda.

I'm totally not getting involved in this debate but hey I'm giving you the only acceptable answer to the motion before the house.

Just admit you gave in to the power of the nerd side already. Dignity and self respect are overrated.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3425 on: April 29, 2010, 11:33:30 AM

BTW, referring to dooku by his sith name means you are broken.

I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3426 on: April 29, 2010, 05:11:15 PM

TBH I forgot his name was Dooku.  Yes, I am in fact broken.  I refer to Sidious/ Palpy as The Emperor on most occasions it comes up as a topic as well.  (not that there's many of those.)

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #3427 on: April 29, 2010, 07:54:50 PM

Hey guys, if the Hulk and Superman fought in the middle of the sun who would win if the Hulk was really, really, really, really, really, really angry? Discuss

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #3428 on: April 29, 2010, 08:52:42 PM

What color is the sun?

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3429 on: April 29, 2010, 11:06:22 PM

And what color is the Hulk?  awesome, for real

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: