Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:10:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102026 times)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3220 on: April 16, 2010, 05:29:15 AM

Bit of character progression going on here....

(one of the) differences being that a playthrough of r-type doesn't 100 hours or whatever.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3221 on: April 16, 2010, 11:07:02 AM

Where the fuck is this "Everything has character progression!" noise coming from?

It's coming from this being a SWTOR thread on the MMO boards. SWTOR is very unlikely to not have character progression and will also want to be newbie-friendly.

Character progression that is newbie-friendly is a class/level system.

It's already explicit that SWTOR has 8 classes but some people are still banging the wouldn't it be great if we did away with classes so I can play my mage-in-plate and pwn people drum.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3222 on: April 16, 2010, 12:14:59 PM

Where the fuck is this "Everything has character progression!" noise coming from? On one hand you have tabletop RPGs, computer RPGs, and a bunch of shit in the last few years that has levels tacked on. That's about it. On the other hand, you have... I dunno... a billion non-RPG video games.

Not every game does, although I can kinda see the point that a lot of games make use of it that you don't necessarily think about at first. 

- God of War/Devil May Cry action games where you can upgrade weapons, health bars, etc...

- Racing games where you can get better cars, or upgrade the cars you already have.

- In some sports games, player stats can increase over time.

- Even going back as far as something like Double Dragon, you had an arcade beat-em-up where you gained new attacks throughout the game.

It's not every game, but it's not just RPG's and stuff in the last couple years that's had it tacked on either.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3223 on: April 16, 2010, 12:42:55 PM

Chess has character progression if a pawn makes it to the other side of the board.  wink
I considered that.  Mentioning it would go against my point, also to get a pawn across the board, you've probably lost far more than you're gaining overall.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #3224 on: April 18, 2010, 06:10:07 PM

Chess has character progression if a pawn makes it to the other side of the board.  wink
I considered that.  Mentioning it would go against my point, also to get a pawn across the board, you've probably lost far more than you're gaining overall.

The MMO analogy remains in tact then.

- Even going back as far as something like Double Dragon, you had an arcade beat-em-up where you gained new attacks throughout the game.

My memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I don't think this is true. In DD, you had all attacks from the first level. I think you had to buy / unlock attacks by DD3, but not the first one.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3225 on: April 18, 2010, 06:23:37 PM

It's not true.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3226 on: April 18, 2010, 06:44:50 PM

My memory might be a bit fuzzy, but I don't think this is true. In DD, you had all attacks from the first level. I think you had to buy / unlock attacks by DD3, but not the first one.

Could be that the NES port (which I played a lot more of) differed from the arcade in that respect then.  The NES version of Double Dragon 1 definitely had experience though.

In fact, you can see the details of it here.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #3227 on: April 18, 2010, 08:01:16 PM

99% sure that the arcade game had nothing of the sort.

The NES game also had the goofy 1 on 1 fighting mode. I actually played a lot of that. Linda and her whip for the win.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #3228 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49:39 AM

The only rpgish thing in the arcade was loot, trying to keep a knife or bat for as long as possible. God I loved that game, part of our pre-show ritual was to hit up the better of the two machines in town and try for a single-quarter playthrough. 99% of the time the reason it was more than 1 quarter each was one of us hitting the other by mistake which turned into a throwdown. Griefing in multiplayer is a great tradition.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #3229 on: April 19, 2010, 02:33:29 PM

Could be that the NES port (which I played a lot more of) differed from the arcade in that respect then.  The NES version of Double Dragon 1 definitely had experience though.

In fact, you can see the details of it here.

I don't remember anything like that, i didn't have a NES though i had the international version.

I am the .00000001428%
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #3230 on: April 19, 2010, 03:45:13 PM

A lot of old games had advancement mechanics.  Mega Man sticks out very easily, as with each boss defeat you gain a new power.  All those flying shooters, as mentioned above, have upgrades you gain, then lose if you get shot or whatever.  Even Mario's Mushroom > Fire Flower constitutes an advancement path.  There are probably plenty more examples that could be listed if one took the time to go through and look at a long list of early games.

Regardless, character advancement was not unique to RPG's even in the earliest days.  Plenty of games didn't have it, but plenty of them did.  Even boardgames likely have a decent number of examples, although I've never been much of a board gamer so I can't really list them.  But as noted above, Chess has a condition where your pieces grow more powerful, and so does Checkers, for the most obvious.  I'll wager that the wargames that came before Arneson and Gygax also had character advancement, in that units likely gained experience and rank in at least some cases.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #3231 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:22 PM

I would hesitate to call a mechanic by which you temporarily gain access to a different button to push (e.g. the fire flower) the same thing as character advancement, where I'd only count things that were permanent changes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3232 on: April 19, 2010, 03:57:46 PM

A pawn is not a character, and queening is resource development, not character development.

Similarly, Mario and mushrooms isn't character development, it is interaction with an environment.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3233 on: April 19, 2010, 04:17:59 PM

I would hesitate to call a mechanic by which you temporarily gain access to a different button to push (e.g. the fire flower) the same thing as character advancement, where I'd only count things that were permanent changes.

Yeah, I'd kind of disagree with the Mario example because the power-ups are so temporary.  That said, I could list a shit-ton of NES games that weren't RPG's (or at most could be possibly be considered action RPG's like Strider or Rygar) that had some form of character progression.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3234 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:31 PM

Perhaps this conversation has just turned into a nintendo discussion, in which case, ok, but I think we are kinda missing the boat here with the character progression discussion, at least in regards to SWTOR.   In fact, I'd go as far as to say that its going to be extremely standard.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #3235 on: April 19, 2010, 04:50:54 PM

Perhaps this conversation has just turned into a nintendo discussion, in which case, ok, but I think we are kinda missing the boat here with the character progression discussion, at least in regards to SWTOR.   In fact, I'd go as far as to say that its going to be extremely standard.

I think this thread has had only a marginal at best connection to SWTOR for several pages now which is probably for the best because I don't think anybody wants to go through another conversation about whether story can work in MMO's, or another debate on the virtues of voice acting.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3236 on: April 19, 2010, 10:57:33 PM

Or creative use of animation and semantics to create a believable combat system where people can't take several laser blasts to the face, yet combat lasts longer than said laser blast.
El Gallo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3237 on: April 20, 2010, 04:11:51 AM

So, what did you guys think about SWG?  Will this game be better?

This post makes me want to squeeze into my badass red jeans.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3238 on: April 20, 2010, 05:04:15 AM

Oh no he di'nt.

Truthfully, this game will probably be better than Galaxies, but I'll probably like it less than Galaxies, if that makes any sense at all.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3239 on: April 20, 2010, 09:22:21 AM

No Creature Handler.  It'll suck.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Riggswolfe
Terracotta Army

Reply #3240 on: April 21, 2010, 12:02:17 PM

As long as it:

1) Doesn't have HAM
2) Has some spaceships and vehicles
3) Is not SIM-Beru but is instead action and adventure

It'll be better than SWG. Now...whether or not that makes it a good MMO I don't know. There's plenty of room between SWG and good.

"We live in a country, where John Lennon takes six bullets in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right next to him and not one fucking bullet! Explain that to me! Explain that to me, God! Explain it to me, God!" - Denis Leary summing up my feelings about the nature of the universe.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3241 on: April 21, 2010, 12:20:11 PM

As long as it:

1) Doesn't have HAM
2) Has some spaceships and vehicles
3) Is not SIM-Beru but is instead action and adventure that let you play as a force-wielding bad ass
4) Has no dancing Wookies

It'll be better than SWG. Now...whether or not that makes it a good MMO I don't know. There's plenty of room between SWG and good.

added some of my own conditions in-line
AmericanMcGeesBambi

Email
Reply #3242 on: April 21, 2010, 12:43:48 PM

I guess this is the closest thing to a thread to ask on...  Have any emulated servers for the old-style SWG sprung up yet?  I'd give it a whirl.
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #3243 on: April 21, 2010, 12:48:24 PM

I guess this is the closest thing to a thread to ask on...  Have any emulated servers for the old-style SWG sprung up yet?  I'd give it a whirl.
Lets see, obviously you're new here (5 posts!) so I'll explain about the Graveyard (where dead MMO games go to die) , and link you to the Emulator thread, although if you did some lurking before posting you'd know this already.

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
Grimwell
Developers

[Redacted]

Reply #3244 on: April 21, 2010, 01:23:27 PM

I think comparing this game to SWG at all is a bad idea.

Grimwell
Muzadi
Developers

Gazillion Entertainment

Reply #3245 on: April 21, 2010, 01:29:37 PM

I have no inside info, of course, but everything I have seen or heard suggests that the two games could not have a more different philosophy of design if they tried.  Comparing them seems likely to be less like comparing apples and oranges than comparing apples and green-footed marmosets.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3246 on: April 22, 2010, 01:28:02 AM

I think comparing this game to SWG at all is a bad idea.

Lies. Comparing things with SWG is never a bad idea, comparing things with SWG and posting humorous pictures of Darth Vader is the entire point of this website.

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3247 on: April 22, 2010, 04:02:17 AM

let you play as a force-wielding bad ass

YES. Everytime we have one of these discussions, some wiseass has to come along and be like "Oh you know, I don't care about Jedi and their silly glowsticks, what I'd really like to see is some unmarketable pile of shit about mining asteroids or being a Stormtrooper or whatever!"

But you know what? Fuck those people! GIEV ME MY GLOSTICK!!!1!

No Creature Handler.  It'll suck.

I still can't believe Raph thought Star Wars needed UO-style animal tamers. Especially given that if you want pet combat to be viable, there are fucking ROBOTS. I seriously wonder if he ever even saw Star Wars.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3248 on: April 22, 2010, 05:00:49 AM

I still can't believe Raph thought Star Wars needed UO-style animal tamers. Especially given that if you want pet combat to be viable, there are fucking ROBOTS. I seriously wonder if he ever even saw Star Wars.

The rancor tamer in Jabba's Palace in part 6 who cries when Luke kills his rancor is the inspiration I would guess.

Regarding SWG and SWTOR there are a lot of SWG fans posting on the SWTOR boards about stuff like crafting and player housing which has probably rather bewildered the game makers. Even though they've clearly set out to make a storyline game in the footsteps of KOTOR a vocal minority are agitating on their boards for SWG style MMO features.

This may influence design.

Meanwhile Eve's new planetary interaction seems very like the old SWG harvester game mechanic. Set your drills pumping and come back in a few days to take stuff out of the hopper.

This may also influence design as it's a rather easy game mechanic to toss into the mix and players really like it.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3249 on: April 22, 2010, 05:05:17 AM

Man, developers don't actually care about forum bullshit.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3250 on: April 22, 2010, 05:12:03 AM

The rancor tamer in Jabba's Palace in part 6 who cries when Luke kills his rancor is the inspiration I would guess.

This reminds me of "The Apprentice" episode where the teams were supposed to come up with a marketing strategy for Episode 3.  One team did a whole strategy that focused on Vader, the other focused their entire campaign around This guy* because he was 'the most visually interesting and dynamic.'  

Guess which team failed and got actual "wtf" comments from the Lucasfilm team that judged them.

Nobody gives a fuck about background characters. Building a franchise game around them would be like building a Spider Man game where you run a newspaper as J.J. Jameson.  It screams, "I don't get it!"

*Whose name is apparently Tion Medon, which isn't mentioned once in the movie.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3251 on: April 22, 2010, 05:19:39 AM

Man, developers don't actually care about forum bullshit.

You're probably right.

Nobody gives a fuck about background characters. Building a franchise game around them would be like building a Spider Man game where you run a newspaper as J.J. Jameson.  It screams, "I don't get it!"

A lot of the IP was built on even flimsier stuff such as throwaway lines. Bothans exist because Mon Mothma says "many bothan spies died to bring us this information" and krayt dragons exist because Obi Won imitates one to scare off Tusken Raiders in Episode 4.
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #3252 on: April 22, 2010, 05:26:58 AM

Again, nobody gives a shit.  Be it Bothans or Kryat dragons, only those with their heads firmly in the EU or way into SW geekery know what the hell you're talking about.  I.e. not the majority or mass-market which one assumes you're going for if making a game using a recognizable, expensive license.

Oh look, it's 2001 all over again.  I wonder who'll be proven right in the end. If only we had a time machine.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3253 on: April 22, 2010, 07:17:49 AM

let you play as a force-wielding bad ass

YES. Everytime we have one of these discussions, some wiseass has to come along and be like "Oh you know, I don't care about Jedi and their silly glowsticks, what I'd really like to see is some unmarketable pile of shit about mining asteroids or being a Stormtrooper or whatever!"

I never understood the apparent problem in balancing blaster / detonator users against Jedi lore-wise.  One is a soldier with an automatic PPC, the other is a fucking monk with a sword.
Typhon
Terracotta Army

Reply #3254 on: April 22, 2010, 07:26:35 AM

[...]
A lot of the IP was built on even flimsier stuff such as throwaway lines. Bothans exist because Mon Mothma says "many bothan spies died to bring us this information" and krayt dragons exist because Obi Won imitates one to scare off Tusken Raiders in Episode 4.

I'm not sure if you are speaking English or not.  I just want my Glostick so that I can dispense some ass kicking.

Also, seeing as I can also mind-melt you, throw lightening from my fingers, and catch blaster bolts on my hand I fail to see how some tool with a blaster is, in any way, a threat to my ass kicking self.

Can a brother force-choke a bitch now?  Please?! ... OK! WHEN?!
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: