Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:06:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102023 times)
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3045 on: March 21, 2010, 08:16:08 PM

Isn't SoE making a CloneWars MMO with the FreeRealm engine/model?

Or am I completely fucking high?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3046 on: March 21, 2010, 08:25:57 PM

I've seen one mention of it, here somewhere.  I'm so fucking there if they do it, however I am taking the rumor with a grain of salt until I hear something more concrete.

It's possible your recollection was of me mentioning it in IRC or WoW.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3047 on: March 21, 2010, 08:28:52 PM

That's completely possible, perhaps this is how rumors start  why so serious?

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #3048 on: March 22, 2010, 12:52:12 PM

So I'm really not sure what your beef is. I think we actually agree.

Story is not a gamble.  Core MMO players might not care, but their options are Swords & Sorcery Diku; Eve; or shit that doesn't even bear mentioning because it's too niche, too broken, or is atrophying away.

Most of the time, it's all 3.

There is plenty of room for Diku in space because people are getting bored with fucking swords and sorcery.

So the alternative is apparently LASER SWORDS and MYSTICAL MIND POWERS.

LK
Terracotta Army

Reply #3049 on: March 22, 2010, 03:39:44 PM

Have they shown ANY gameplay yet?

"Then there's the double-barreled shotgun from Doom 2 - no-one within your entire household could be of any doubt that it's been fired because it sounds like God slamming a door on his fingers." - Yahtzee Croshaw
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #3050 on: March 22, 2010, 03:40:40 PM

Yes they have.  You should use google.
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3051 on: March 22, 2010, 03:44:53 PM

Yeah, my person opinion is that it doesn't look all that interesting, though some may disagree.  I'd like to see a nice in depth video of the cover system for the scoundrel class, thats the sort of thing that could definitely pique my interest if its done well.  It looks like fairly standard MMO fare though, from what I've seen thus far.  Action bars, abilities, standing in open shooting each other.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #3052 on: March 22, 2010, 09:17:38 PM

Yeah, my person opinion is that it doesn't look all that interesting, though some may disagree.  I'd like to see a nice in depth video of the cover system for the scoundrel class, thats the sort of thing that could definitely pique my interest if its done well.  It looks like fairly standard MMO fare though, from what I've seen thus far.  Action bars, abilities, standing in open shooting each other.

I wonder what type of "this is GENIUS" mindset must be floating around in Austin if they purposely design the scout and scout only to be the only class that can take cover. In a game where the average weapon amongst 3/4th of the characters is a gun why oh why do they think that every other class except one needs to go into every fire fight red coat style. though technically that is true of the star wars verse fighters who aren't han solo...
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3053 on: March 22, 2010, 09:51:06 PM

I've read a few reviews that seem to imply all the gun classes can use cover to some degree, but with how limited the information is, who knows.

I really want the Trooper class to be able to use cover. I also really want this game to not suck.

Odds are not in my favour :(

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3054 on: March 22, 2010, 10:04:45 PM

Exactly what HaemishM said. Star wars isn't sci-fi, its higher-tech fantasy but it's still fantasy.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3055 on: March 22, 2010, 10:06:32 PM

Exactly what HaemishM said. Star wars isn't sci-fi, its higher-tech fantasy but it's still fantasy.

I feel pretty good about recognizing and avoiding what could possibly be the nerdiest argument in history.

AKA Gyoza
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #3056 on: March 22, 2010, 10:12:01 PM

Please, not even top five for this board in the last 12 months.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Musashi
Terracotta Army

Reply #3057 on: March 22, 2010, 10:13:26 PM

YOU WOULD KNOW!

AKA Gyoza
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #3058 on: March 22, 2010, 10:34:22 PM

I've read a few reviews that seem to imply all the gun classes can use cover to some degree, but with how limited the information is, who knows.

I really want the Trooper class to be able to use cover. I also really want this game to not suck.

Odds are not in my favour :(

imperial agents get a portable shield as cover:
In the heat of battle, the Imperial Agent can activate a field of energy to protect from oncoming blasterfire.

http://swtor.com/info/holonet/classes/imperial-agent
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3059 on: March 23, 2010, 12:41:47 PM

Translation: They get a cooldown which allows them to have a boosted dodge bonus vs ranged attacks.

Don't pretend this game isn't just another diku and will somehow use cover or any sort of fps elements.  Same bullshit WAR fans fell for too.

jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3060 on: March 23, 2010, 12:52:59 PM

One thing that might save this is that from all the footage I've seen, there are no loading screens between areas (except planets naturally). That's like the single most important factor of MMO immersion for me. 
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #3061 on: March 23, 2010, 12:58:15 PM

Yes, just so long as it is one long contiguous experience, then the game will be saved.  Clearly, lack of loading screens will what makes or breaks a Star Wars MMO made by Bizarro Bioware.

swamp poop

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #3062 on: March 23, 2010, 01:12:06 PM

well, it certainly did wonders in saving SWG!  why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #3063 on: March 23, 2010, 01:28:02 PM

Yes, just so long as it is one long contiguous experience, then the game will be saved.  Clearly, lack of loading screens will what makes or breaks a Star Wars MMO made by Bizarro Bioware.

swamp poop

Not to mention the fact that given the fact that they are trumping up this idea of individual story stuff, its going to HAVE to be instanced heavily.   If its heavily instanced, there is pretty much going to have to be lots of loading.
jakonovski
Terracotta Army

Reply #3064 on: March 23, 2010, 05:06:26 PM

swamp poop

Are you suggesting that pleasing me isn't the surest way to success?!
Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #3065 on: April 04, 2010, 01:25:33 AM

A Dev-post just landed as the Good Friday update:
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?action=post;topic=15047.3045;num_replies=3064

Reads a little like they're trying to rebuke the rumours SWOR will be more of an MSO than an MMO.
Mostly a very clever marketing-post of course; vague enough not to pigeon-hole anything, yet a few specifics in there (once again the multi-player conversation options) and sprinkled with some MMO pop-history for street-cred, just enough to wet my appetite once again.

A more interesting read than most on an MMO-in-development forum though to me and fun to compare the slickness of such a dev-post to that of so many others on recent, and not so recent, MMO's (amply discussed on this forum  awesome, for real).
Whatever SWOR turns out to be, their pre-launch is pretty flawless so far I'd say (for whatever that's worth).
taolurker
Terracotta Army

Reply #3066 on: April 04, 2010, 02:10:09 AM

A Dev-post just landed as the Good Friday update:
http://forums.f13.net/index.php?action=post;topic=15047.3045;num_replies=3064

Reads a little like they're trying to rebuke the rumours SWOR will be more of an MSO than an MMO.
Mostly a very clever marketing-post of course; vague enough not to pigeon-hole anything, yet a few specifics in there (once again the multi-player conversation options) and sprinkled with some MMO pop-history for street-cred, just enough to wet my appetite once again.

A more interesting read than most on an MMO-in-development forum though to me and fun to compare the slickness of such a dev-post to that of so many others on recent, and not so recent, MMO's (amply discussed on this forum  awesome, for real).
Whatever SWOR turns out to be, their pre-launch is pretty flawless so far I'd say (for whatever that's worth).

Forum FAIL

Link is: http://www.swtor.com/news/blog/20100402_001

I used to write for extinct gaming sites
details available here (unused blog about page)
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #3067 on: April 04, 2010, 02:10:55 AM

To be fair there were a lot of 'this is not really a MMOG' noises coming from Bioware back when we were still debating if it was likely to be KOTORO or not.

tbh, if this turns out to be single player rpg with a co-op multiplayer option, and they are just using the mmog tag to justify the subscription and ubi-soft style drm, then it probably bodes well for the quality of the game, if not for longevity of it.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3068 on: April 04, 2010, 07:49:20 AM

Are you suggesting that pleasing me isn't the surest way to success?!

That's what she said.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3069 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:22 PM

To be fair there were a lot of 'this is not really a MMOG' noises coming from Bioware back when we were still debating if it was likely to be KOTORO or not.

tbh, if this turns out to be single player rpg with a co-op multiplayer option, and they are just using the mmog tag to justify the subscription and ubi-soft style drm, then it probably bodes well for the quality of the game, if not for longevity of it.

This.
schild
Administrator

Reply #3070 on: April 04, 2010, 05:35:28 PM

This.
Facepalm
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3071 on: April 05, 2010, 01:07:49 AM

Are there really that many people who would be willing to pay a sub for a single player game?
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3072 on: April 05, 2010, 03:03:15 AM

Are there really that many people who would be willing to pay a sub for a single player game?

Before Dungeon Finder WoW was essentially a single player game with a multiplayer context. You soloed your quests, you essentially soloed in battlegrounds, you soloed dailies, you soloed the auction house. (Raiding is an exception but there have been times when most WoW players did not raid).

WoW has now changed but I think it shows it's possible to get people to pay subs for soloing in a world where after they solo they can compare with other people.

Most people work for the "omg! you have Tier 3 armour!" moments and will flow along the path of least resistance to get it without especially caring about the company they are required to keep along the way.
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #3073 on: April 05, 2010, 03:25:29 AM

Before Dungeon Finder WoW was essentially a single player game with a multiplayer context.

That's really stupid.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #3074 on: April 05, 2010, 03:51:11 AM

WoW has now changed but I think it shows it's possible to get people to pay subs for soloing in a world where after they solo they can compare with other people.

It's proven nothing: expansion launches, interest is kindled and zones are densely populated, time passes and those zones empty until they're deserted again.  It's only a single player game in the zones where almost nobody except the people who are batshit insane with altitis are playing.  Which is a problematic sales pitch because the zones are nearly deserted because nobody is interested in playing there anymore in the first place.
Zzulo
Terracotta Army

Reply #3075 on: April 05, 2010, 05:13:53 AM

Before Dungeon Finder WoW was essentially a single player game with a multiplayer context. You soloed your quests, you essentially soloed in battlegrounds, you soloed dailies, you soloed the auction house.

Not really, no.
Stabs
Terracotta Army

Reply #3076 on: April 05, 2010, 04:52:42 PM

Let me clarify.

For multiplayer to be part of the draw there has to be interaction with other players that matters to the person playing.

For many WoW players this really wasn't the case.

Tons of people running around Howling Fjord didn't care that other people were trying to do it too. People firing into the zerg on the road in AV could just as easily have been shooting AI-controlled mobs. AH is a numbers game, many people who play it simply play it for the enjoyment of seeing numbers get bigger or the utility of having more spending power rather than a sense of beating off competitors.

The context is am I doing better than other people? but the playstyle is solo.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #3077 on: April 05, 2010, 05:02:24 PM

I tried playing wow on a private server, it;s not a solo game. You just don't realize how much the absence of other players, even if you dont interact with them, really matters.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #3078 on: April 05, 2010, 05:08:09 PM

Don't you just love going to a football game and being the only person in the stands?

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #3079 on: April 05, 2010, 05:48:38 PM

Par for the course in Houston. Grin

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Pages: 1 ... 86 87 [88] 89 90 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: