Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 06:08:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102171 times)
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2730 on: December 13, 2009, 07:14:12 PM

Squishes can't afford to auto pilot as much in diku combat hence why they don't auto attack. However that doesn't necessarily means the level of involvement is very high. You can run your char on autopilot you just pressing a key occasional instead of every 1.1 seconds. I haven't found the a caster class where playing with a cheeseburger on one hand is detrimental to my play.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2731 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:00 PM

Chronicles of Spellborn and Age of Conan didn't have auto attack and they failed miserably. Not saying that auto attack = success but putting Gears of War into World of Warcraft isn't going to keep subs.

Fuck, it's like you typed that first sentence out, realized it really didn't mean jack shit, and then left it in anyway.  Yeah, there are MMO's that didn't have auto attack that failed.   There are also a fuckton of MMO's that did have auto attack and failed.  In all of those cases, I think you'd be hard pressed to suggest that auto attack or lack thereof was a major factor in the game's failure.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2732 on: December 13, 2009, 07:16:51 PM

This is what I was wondering for the most part.  In WoW as a paladin, I don't think about autoattack.  If you lower the mob's health by the amount of damage autoattack does, and took away autoattack... it wouldn't matter one whit to me.  The combat wouldn't become more boring.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2733 on: December 13, 2009, 10:28:01 PM

This is what I was wondering for the most part.  In WoW as a paladin, I don't think about autoattack.  If you lower the mob's health by the amount of damage autoattack does, and took away autoattack... it wouldn't matter one whit to me.  The combat wouldn't become more boring.
Umm, what? Did you buy your paladin at 80? Leveling up as a paladin, auto attack + procs is the majority of your damage. It isn't until 44-50 that you actually start getting damaging skills beyond Judgement. Warriors also have this problem.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Azaroth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2734 on: December 14, 2009, 12:10:17 AM

Maybe he meant that it was ALREADY SO BORING leveling a Paladin that it couldn't possibly ever be worse ever.

F  is inviting you to start Quarto. Do you want to Accept (Alt+C) or Decline (Alt+D) the invitation?

You have accepted the invitation to start Quarto.

F  says:
don't know what this is
Az  says:
I think it's like
Az  says:
where we pour milk on the stomach alien from total recall
Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #2735 on: December 14, 2009, 12:33:38 AM

obligatory link related to paladin leveling (edit: paladins are much more interesting to play now, blah blah etc)

I think there are two different arguments going on in here (both unrelated to the thread's original topic, but... well... it's a SW thread why so serious?)... one about autoattack (and I think everyone'd like a game where combat was quick / non-repetitive enough to get rid of it altogether), and one about server-side lag compensation measures such as command queuing, less 'twitchy' reactive abilities, global cooldowns, etc. I have yet to see compelling arguments presented against the latter, though.  
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 12:37:22 AM by Zetor »

Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #2736 on: December 14, 2009, 12:34:09 AM

Auto-attack is really just a preference thing. 
Bullshit. Its not a preference, mmo's in there current form don't support the type of combat that requires 100% user interaction.

What?  Play an Elemental Shaman and tell me it doesn't require 100% user interaction.  The only reason a boring ass, lame mechanic like auto attacking is still necessary in a game like WoW is so your character doesn't stand around with their thumb up their ass if they happen to be out of mana/energy/rage/runes/whatever.

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2737 on: December 14, 2009, 02:53:27 AM

Squishes can't afford to auto pilot as much in diku combat hence why they don't auto attack. However that doesn't necessarily means the level of involvement is very high. You can run your char on autopilot you just pressing a key occasional instead of every 1.1 seconds. I haven't found the a caster class where playing with a cheeseburger on one hand is detrimental to my play.

Only in WoW. There are plenty of MMOGs where this just isn't true, whether or not they theoreticaly have a default attack.

EDIT: And maybe not WoW, I don't know, I couldn't maintain interest long enough to be sure.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:56:38 AM by eldaec »

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #2738 on: December 14, 2009, 06:19:12 AM

Umm, what? Did you buy your paladin at 80? Leveling up as a paladin, auto attack + procs is the majority of your damage. It isn't until 44-50 that you actually start getting damaging skills beyond Judgement. Warriors also have this problem.

True, but that's more of a systems issue, i.e. give Paladins/Warriors more attacks earlier.  Judgement every 10 seconds + auto attack is just as boring as (Judgement+autoattack damage) every 10 seconds.  Auto Attack certainly didn't make it more exciting.  I find it a problem that I'd pull a mob to a nice spot, Seal of Light, Judge, Seal of Light (ah the old sealing system) again and walk away from the computer.

I'm just not seeing what auto-attack adds that makes it necessary.  At least CO uses it as a resource builder.  You need the POS end builder on autoattack in order to have Endurance to do anything else.  WoW's doesn't even do that.

I think there are two different arguments going on in here (both unrelated to the thread's original topic, but... well... it's a SW thread )... one about autoattack (and I think everyone'd like a game where combat was quick / non-repetitive enough to get rid of it altogether), and one about server-side lag compensation measures such as command queuing, less 'twitchy' reactive abilities, global cooldowns, etc. I have yet to see compelling arguments presented against the latter, though.
I have no problem with those compensation measures.  But if you DC, you're probably going to die.   And most death penalties are such that this isn't a problem.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2739 on: December 14, 2009, 12:51:07 PM

WoWs mechanics were a generation behind when it launched in 2004.

From the little I've played it - WoW combat is more involving than EQ, which is all it was built to compete with.

Just because no good mmogs have been released for 5 years (jesus christ how hard can it be etc), that doesn't mean the specific flaws of the EQ/wow model haven't been fixed time and time again.

Numtini mentioned it a while ago, but did everyone miss not having auto-attack in CoH?  With most games I like auto-attack simply because I find the combat system itself boring.  In CoH I never missed it because combat was actually fun.

CoH combat is pretty bad until you get enough attack powers to fill the gaps.

I agree, CoH combat can be tiresome for the first 45 minutes you are in game.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #2740 on: December 14, 2009, 01:17:46 PM

As a mage in WoW, I used auto-attack at first level. And never ever again for the past five years.

Well, that's not true. I used it when levelling up weapon skills for that achievement, "I have high weapon skills" or whatever. So, I used it for a half an hour at level 1, then for a few hours total for the achievement. So...there we are. Since WoW is successful, we should make players use auto-attack for 3.5 hours. Problem solved! Math is great!

Meanwhile, I've started playing CoH a lot, and I really like no autoattack. About as much as I like autoattack. In other words, I really don't care one way or another. But the 3.5 hour thing, yeah, I'm dead serious about that!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2741 on: December 15, 2009, 01:27:02 AM

I think if I have Zangief at 5% energy and then drop the controller, Zangief should just be knocked out anyway. Hur hur.

Most console games automatically pause when a controller is disconnected, so yeah, good argument.

Fuck that, what if the cat goes crazy and jumps up in my lap and digs his claws in and I drop the controller and it's still plugged in and now Zangief is just beating the shit out of me at 5% life while I'm running around the room screaming and trying to dislodge the cat from my leg? Then I lose and that whole CONTINUE... 9... 8... 7... thing is going on, and I have to push start and watch that little airlplane fly to USSR again. Why should I have to pay that reckoning, you fucking masochist? WHY?!

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2742 on: December 15, 2009, 12:42:04 PM

Because you have a cat, obviously.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2743 on: December 15, 2009, 05:32:17 PM

I think if I have Zangief at 5% energy and then drop the controller, Zangief should just be knocked out anyway. Hur hur.

Most console games automatically pause when a controller is disconnected, so yeah, good argument.

Fuck that, what if the cat goes crazy and jumps up in my lap and digs his claws in and I drop the controller and it's still plugged in and now Zangief is just beating the shit out of me at 5% life while I'm running around the room screaming and trying to dislodge the cat from my leg? Then I lose and that whole CONTINUE... 9... 8... 7... thing is going on, and I have to push start and watch that little airlplane fly to USSR again. Why should I have to pay that reckoning, you fucking masochist? WHY?!

Because you probably aren't paying $15 a month to fight Zangief in order to get his Gorbechov Birthmark Tattoo drop.

Lag and drop outs are something all MMOs have to deal with. Auto attack is one way of dealing with it, although one that is increasingly seen as antiquated.

Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2744 on: December 15, 2009, 06:54:33 PM

In Soviet Russia, you own cat.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2745 on: December 16, 2009, 06:19:28 AM

So, not sure if this was posted or not.

The Old Republic MMO features all voice acting, no text

I guess I was like, totally wrong that this was the future.  Ohhhhh, I see.

This adds to the growing number of MMO's with full voice overs.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2746 on: December 16, 2009, 06:21:05 AM

HUGE mistake.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:25:03 AM by Nebu »

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #2747 on: December 16, 2009, 06:22:43 AM

So, not sure if this was posted or not.

The Old Republic MMO features all voice acting, no text

I guess I was like, totally wrong that this was the future.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Well, considering I play without sound a ton, I guess I'm out.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2748 on: December 16, 2009, 07:13:56 AM

HUGE mistake.  

Agreed, for many reasons.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2749 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:11 AM

HUGE mistake.  

Time will tell.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #2750 on: December 16, 2009, 07:18:42 AM

The report is somewhat ambiguous. It could be saying you never need to read a line of text (ie. *everything* is voice acted) which doesn't rule out text being optional. Though I could just as easily imagine them deciding to force players to watch all the voice acting they spent a stupid amount of money on.

I can't wait to see what actually comes out of all this confusion when the NDA drops. I still won't care, Star Wars has been exploited to the point of nausea, but it will be fun to see how all these mechanics are going to hang together.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2751 on: December 16, 2009, 07:21:41 AM

I bet 10 bucks that they'll have subtitles, just like all Bioware RPGs.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #2752 on: December 16, 2009, 07:24:28 AM

Time will tell.

No, it won't.  If they forgo subtitles completely this will be the single dumbest decision in mmo history, period.  I will leave it up to others to list the myriad reasons for this stupidity since I'm at work but suffice to say, you are wrong.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2753 on: December 16, 2009, 07:26:11 AM

I seriously doubt they won't have subtitles. All bioware titles have voice, and subtitles.

eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2754 on: December 16, 2009, 08:19:49 AM

Don't be stupid, of course there will be subtitles. The point of that link was to say that everything at launch will have voice over, which everyone already knows, so actually the link had no point.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2755 on: December 16, 2009, 08:21:18 AM

Oh joy.  A voice discussion again.  Facepalm

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #2756 on: December 16, 2009, 08:29:16 AM

You guys got Bloodworthed.
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2757 on: December 16, 2009, 11:31:14 AM

Don't be stupid, of course there will be subtitles. The point of that link was to say that everything at launch will have voice over, which everyone already knows, so actually the link had no point.

*THIS GAME IS NOT FOR THE DEAF*

Facepalm

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #2758 on: December 16, 2009, 11:49:00 AM

They better have a fucking "skip voice overs" thing. I got pissy enough with Mass Effect, especially when shopping.

Vendor: "Greetings, Earthclan.." ME: "I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING HEAR YOUR GODDAMN LINE. I WANT TO SHOP" Vendor: "To the colonies".

ME: FUCK YOU.

The Hanar in the Emporium was the worst. I just want a fucking menu. If there's a "skip dialogue and go straight the menu" button on the 360 version, I've yet to find it.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2759 on: December 16, 2009, 12:42:04 PM

They better have a fucking "skip voice overs" thing. I got pissy enough with Mass Effect, especially when shopping.

Vendor: "Greetings, Earthclan.." ME: "I DON'T WANT TO FUCKING HEAR YOUR GODDAMN LINE. I WANT TO SHOP" Vendor: "To the colonies".

ME: FUCK YOU.

The Hanar in the Emporium was the worst. I just want a fucking menu. If there's a "skip dialogue and go straight the menu" button on the 360 version, I've yet to find it.

Doesn't the X button usually skip past dialogue?
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #2760 on: December 16, 2009, 02:44:18 PM

Doesn't the X button usually skip past dialogue?

Unless a line was specifically flagged otherwise - and the hanar's shouldn't have been - X can skip through any line.

Generally dialogue was only made unskippable when it was covering a load in the background.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2761 on: December 16, 2009, 05:09:49 PM

I seem to recall that dialogue that had a little animation 'scene' to go with it was unskippable usually, and I also seem to recall that for whatever reason talking to that 'Greetings Earthclan' for some reason had a little scene of Shephard leaning up against that guy's bar or something similar, which most merchant interactions didn't have.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2762 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:17 PM

We had this discussion 12 pages ago. But then, 12 pages ago Dragon Age hadn't launched yet smiley If they do it like that and they give my character a voice in the cut scenes and they're skippable (as DA:Os are), I'm fine with it.

But to be clear (again), this is not the first MMO to be fully voiced.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2763 on: December 16, 2009, 05:31:34 PM

But to be clear (again), this is not the first MMO to be fully voiced.

Yes, but Wow wasn't fully voiced, and apparently, problems solved in the 2 dozen mmogs since wow don't count.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2764 on: December 16, 2009, 05:49:53 PM

Ah but EQ2 came before WoW  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: