Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:07:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102279 times)
Bzalthek
Terracotta Army

"Use the Soy Sauce, Luke!" WHOM, ZASH, CLISH CLASH! "Umeboshi Kenobi!! NOOO!!!"

Reply #2205 on: August 27, 2009, 10:20:08 PM

What if they call it an MMORPG?

"Pity hurricanes aren't actually caused by gays; I would take a shot in the mouth right now if it meant wiping out these chucklefucks." ~WayAbvPar
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2206 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:21 PM

Then all is forgiven, obviously.

I do wonder if these guys have done ANY market research on whether people will listen to the VO stuff.  if there isn't a "skip cutscene" button, at least half the people on this site would be in danger of initiating shooting sprees. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2207 on: August 28, 2009, 01:44:52 PM

I always enjoyed the GW approach, cutscenes which you could only skip if everyone agreed, but it didn't tell you who had voted to skip, or who the holdouts were.

Causing nerdrage-by-cutscene in PUGs was practically a minigame in itself.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #2208 on: August 28, 2009, 02:00:13 PM

I ain't skipping no cut scenes.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #2209 on: August 28, 2009, 02:53:47 PM

Skippable, with the option to watch them offline, would be just dandy.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Gutboy Barrelhouse
Terracotta Army

Reply #2210 on: August 28, 2009, 05:31:33 PM

I always enjoyed the GW approach, cutscenes which you could only skip if everyone agreed, but it didn't tell you who had voted to skip, or who the holdouts were.

So far they have shown a max group size of 2 players, so not hard to figure out who did it.
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #2211 on: August 28, 2009, 05:40:15 PM

So far they have shown a max group size of 2 players, so not hard to figure out who did it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPIdfdByS7E  awesome, for real

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Mattemeo
Terracotta Army

Reply #2212 on: August 31, 2009, 01:01:39 PM

Having now seen the big Bioware reveal of SWtoR's fully voice-acted gameplay/enormous cutscenes, I can say I am no longer cautiously optimistic but disappointed and kind of bewildered. For gameplay reasons alone that everyone else here has already mentioned, the whole voice idea seems frankly ludicrous - and impossible, when it comes down to their ambition. You accept repeated phrases from NPCs when they're just text on a screen, but anyone who's played Oblivion/Fallout 3 or similar for 10 minutes is more than aware of how grating spoken repetition can be. I am deeply worried.

What's really bothered me though is the aesthetic of the game. Bioware state that the art style is something along the lines of 'stylised realism', but the overall effect at this particular stage in development is pretty much completely devoid of charm. It's sterile and empty. Big rooms made out of rhomboids with nothing of interest in them except a few meagre crates and barrels for this ridiculous console duck and cover bullshit. The player models (of which we've only seen Humans thus far) are creepy faced and impractically animated.

But this is all unfair critisism right now, I admit. The cake's not baked yet, but I'm having doubts about the quality of the ingredients I've seen so far.

If you party with the Party Prince you get two complimentary after-dinner mints
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2213 on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:01 PM

I'm going to crib from the Massively notes on the interview because dev video interviews are usually pretty boring.

According to SWOR's lead writer, Daniel Erikson:

"We think we've got the biggest voice over project in entertainment history."

"We now have over a dozen writers that are working on it. But each writer owns a particular piece of it. Some writers own just one class and they really are the voice of that piece."

"The ability to write things specifically for a class means that it's actually a more personal story than we've ever got to tell in any of the BioWare games."

Again, unless SWOR really is the mega-smash hit of the WoW size, it won't be able to keep up the production values. And if they are going to be developing content separately for each class and go the microtrans route of making class-specific content purchasable, you better like playing the popular classes or you are going to be left behind.

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2214 on: August 31, 2009, 09:58:29 PM

I find it funny that some people keep worrying about how they'll be able to keep making new content when most of us here struggle to get to max level on one character in an MMO let alone eight.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2215 on: August 31, 2009, 10:09:27 PM

I find it funny that some people keep worrying about how they'll be able to keep making new content when most of us here struggle to get to max level on one character in an MMO let alone eight.

I was thinking about MxO and how it looked when storyline content went from full in-game engine productions to someone drawing on the back of a napkin and waving it in front of a camera.

It doesn't matter if I'll never play it, but the content needs to keep coming and at a high level of quality.

sidereal
Contributor

Reply #2216 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:23 PM

MxO sucked = MxO no $$$ = Low production values = MxO sucked. . etc...

SWTOR ? = SWTOR ? $$$$ = ? production values = SWTOR ?..etc

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2217 on: August 31, 2009, 10:40:10 PM

It doesn't matter if I'll never play it, but the content needs to keep coming

And it's that mentality that I find funny.  Most of us probably won't even see all the content the game launches with, but we're gonna raise hell if we don't get more.

Anyway, MMO content patches seem to fall largely into two catagories for me.  There's stuff like WAR or AoC where it's "here are some classes or content we weren't able to finish before our game got pushed out the door".  Then there's the WoW content patches that largely seem to be "here's a new raid dungeon for people who have already farmed the last one hundreds of times over".  These patches are designed to keep hardcore raiding guilds subscribed to the game by constantly giving them new stuff to do.

Now I might be a bit biased because I don't give a shit about raiding and never will.  If they do in fact go with a business model more geared towards microtransactions though, the real money is going to be in creating simple shit that people will pay money for rather than generating content to keep the catasses happy.  If they can get people to pay $5 for a purple lightsaber that somebody threw together in a couple hours, that's a much more viable way of making money than trying to keep cranking out content for Grindy McCatass.
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #2218 on: August 31, 2009, 11:17:10 PM

Depends on what kind of content you're going for.  Remember it looks like they're aiming for the RPG crowd, which is great, but it's hard to say what the desire is going to be if they even get that audience hooked (if they just get standard mmog players then they have a problem right off the bat, I think).

The trouble is that with all this focus on voice acting, nothing is going to be easy if it involves any sort of interaction at all.  Nothing!  You can't slap together a quest and throw it in, it has to be written, translated into two dozen languages (apparently), voiced in each and every one of them, and then put in the game.  And gods help you if you want to make a change to an existing quest, cause to rewrite a single line, you have to go through that entire process.  The funny thing is that having the player be fully voiced even makes it impossible to use the 'alien language' coverup to throw in new dialogue without having to go through the entire process.  Not that that would be a particularly good way to implement it either, cause you'd either have bland, emotionless voice lines attached to everything, or you'd have five different 'tones' of "miki grabble moko" - normal, angry, sad, happy, excited (and maybe a couple others).  But there'd be no subtlety to it, so their 'high quality' voice acting would be gone.

So the only thing left you can add in often and fast is doodads and graphical enhancements.  Purple lightsabers and fucking horse armor.  That's basically the extent of what they can add quickly, because everything else will require interaction, which will require lines, and so on.

Every damn time I hear about their amazing fully voiced MMO, my expectations drop a little lower for SWTOR.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2219 on: August 31, 2009, 11:41:48 PM

If they can get people to pay $5 for a purple lightsaber that somebody threw together in a couple hours, that's a much more viable way of making money than trying to keep cranking out content for Grindy McCatass.

But it doesn't retain or entertain.  Which means they still have to expand the game world unless they want to exist solely on player turnover and micro.

Really, the answer with these games is to fucking stop it with DIKU already and try for a world simulator that isn't crazy grindcore.  Or do something really fucking freaky like have the entire world in a public quest arc that loops back to the start once it draws to a conclusion, like a MMO Groundhog Day.  Incidentally, this would be a fucking awesome concept for a The Wheel of Time, or The Matrix MMO, maybe a World of Darkness apocalypse scenario.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2220 on: September 01, 2009, 12:04:37 AM

The trouble is that with all this focus on voice acting, nothing is going to be easy if it involves any sort of interaction at all.  Nothing!  You can't slap together a quest and throw it in, it has to be written, translated into two dozen languages (apparently), voiced in each and every one of them, and then put in the game.

That's the reality for most games outside of MMO's, voice acting or not.  When a game goes gold, that's pretty much it.  Sure these days even console games can be patched, but I can't think of RPG where developers bothered to change a line of dialog or add a quest in here or there.  The only reason MMO's are any different is because the bar has been set so low, we expect them to be released unfinished with content needing to be tweaked or patched in later.

But it doesn't retain or entertain.  Which means they still have to expand the game world unless they want to exist solely on player turnover and micro.

Like I said, I don't know their business model, but I think it would make more sense to go totally with micro-transactions, or at most supplement them with a very small sub fee (like around $5).  I don't have any sort of data or statistics on the matter, but I'm just of the opinion that they'd make more money in the long term, and would encourage a more casual "I can just play this game every once in a while because I don't need to worry about getting my $15 worth this month" attitude.  Without sub fees, you don't need to worry about retention.  You just need to get players to come back every now and then drop a few bucks on a Tuskan Raider costume or something.
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #2221 on: September 01, 2009, 01:57:31 AM

The only reason MMO's are any different is because the bar has been set so low, we expect them to be released unfinished with content needing to be tweaked or patched in later.

Or it could be that when people pay $180 a year for 5 years they expect something for their money beyond a $60 game in a box.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2222 on: September 01, 2009, 02:41:09 AM

The only reason MMO's are any different is because the bar has been set so low, we expect them to be released unfinished with content needing to be tweaked or patched in later.

Or it could be that when people pay $180 a year for 5 years they expect something for their money beyond a $60 game in a box.

Yeah, they're typically getting the rest of the game that was supposed to ship in that box.
Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #2223 on: September 01, 2009, 05:46:30 PM

So the only thing left you can add in often and fast is doodads and graphical enhancements.  Purple lightsabers and fucking horse armor.  That's basically the extent of what they can add quickly, because everything else will require interaction, which will require lines, and so on.

hey, don't forget the unicorn helmets!  why so serious?

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2224 on: September 01, 2009, 06:32:23 PM

The only way I see this game not tanking is if they sell over one million boxes + cash shop. That way when the playerbase drops to 300k you can count on 70% of them to spend at least 10 dollars on the cash shop.
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #2225 on: September 02, 2009, 10:24:02 AM

The only way I see this game not tanking is if they sell over one million boxes + cash shop. That way when the playerbase drops to 300k you can count on 70% of them to spend at least 10 dollars on the cash shop.

You know with those numbers it still won't break even right?
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #2226 on: September 02, 2009, 10:30:25 AM

Probably not. We are talking a 30% retention rate at best if this game sucks as much as I think it will.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2227 on: September 02, 2009, 11:29:25 AM

Um.  Do we even know what the budget is for this game?  If not, it seems a tad weird to be talking about breaking even or making money, one way or the other.

But!  I personally think a million boxes is a certainty with this title, regardless of quality. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2228 on: September 02, 2009, 12:38:30 PM

God I hate this thread.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2229 on: September 03, 2009, 10:41:24 AM

God I hate this thread.

I click on it wondering if there's any updates, but ya... I hate it too. I'd love a wipe and do-over, personally.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #2230 on: September 03, 2009, 11:03:45 AM

I suppose that is how I feel about the Diablo III and Torchlight threads.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
sidereal
Contributor

Reply #2231 on: September 03, 2009, 12:39:30 PM

Don't you ever think of the thread's feelings when you say things like that?

THIS IS THE MOST I HAVE EVERY WANTED TO GET IN TO A BETA
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2232 on: September 03, 2009, 12:40:22 PM

God I hate this thread.

I click on it wondering if there's any updates, but ya... I hate it too. I'd love a wipe and do-over, personally.

Wait 'til they roll the CU and NGE versions of this thread, then you'll long for the old days.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
ghost
The Dentist

Reply #2233 on: September 03, 2009, 02:46:56 PM

Well, one thing is for certain-  I'm going to be buying this in all likelihood.  Only putrid reviews will keep me away because of the KOTOR series.  Probably will lead to  Heartbreak.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2234 on: September 03, 2009, 02:52:16 PM

God I hate this thread.

Pimp Vader is disturbed by your lack of faith.

Also, this thread is getting to about that time

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2235 on: September 03, 2009, 03:37:42 PM

Dunno why, but when I read about the potential amount of copies this title might sell, I remember the infamous discussion about WoW during pre-release (yes, different context, that's for sure). IMO, we are looking at a title that will sky rocket to 3-3.5 million copies in a very short span.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Murgos
Terracotta Army

Reply #2236 on: September 03, 2009, 03:38:58 PM

It's like you can't stop the stupid.  It just keeps re-asserting itself.

"You have all recieved youre last warning. I am in the process of currently tracking all of youre ips and pinging your home adressess. you should not have commencemed a war with me" - Aaron Rayburn
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #2237 on: September 04, 2009, 01:40:27 AM

Dunno why, but when I read about the potential amount of copies this title might sell, I remember the infamous discussion about WoW during pre-release (yes, different context, that's for sure). IMO, we are looking at a title that will sky rocket to 3-3.5 million copies in a very short span.

Blizzard was, and still remains, the single most consistently skilled developer of computer games.  They have delivered a few flawed or dated gameplay mechanics since WoW released, however they have consistently managed an exceedingly exact level of polish even when the underlying principle was fucking flawed.  They nearly drove themselves bankrupt during development, and they still didn't quite manage to get everything right, even though every fucking tech support dude they got working for them is now wearing a money hat.

A "Bioware" studio made of recycled failed MMO development studios has a snowball's chance in Hell.
gryeyes
Terracotta Army

Reply #2238 on: September 04, 2009, 02:54:14 AM

Blizzard almost bankrupted themselves during WoW's development?
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #2239 on: September 04, 2009, 07:24:24 AM

Blizzard almost bankrupted themselves during WoW's development?

Ya, I don't think that's something you say without citing some kind of source...
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: