Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 02:53:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102045 times)
schild
Administrator

Reply #2170 on: August 25, 2009, 03:41:28 PM

Let's say that it's nothing more than a prettier version of KOTOR, but it's parts 3 through 8 and with co-op.  That's enough to get my money and that of probably a few million other people.
Wouldn't that have required, you know, Bioware or Obsidian to make it? Just saying, since you obviously didn't read the thread.

Look, I understand that's what you want, but isn't pining for MMOG brilliance best left to the professionally blind - i.e. MMORPG.com, etc?
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2171 on: August 25, 2009, 03:53:15 PM

Look, I understand that's what you want, but isn't pining for MMOG brilliance best left to the professionally blind - i.e. MMORPG.com, etc?

You might remember Cautious Optimism.  It's somewhere there in that middle ground between Complete Cynicism and OMG FROTH! that you seem to have forgotten about.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2172 on: August 25, 2009, 03:59:10 PM

You might remember Cautious Optimism.  It's somewhere there in that middle ground between Complete Cynicism and OMG FROTH! that you seem to have forgotten about.
Cautious Optimism is based on history.

1. MMORPGs meh are more often than not.
2. Star Wars games are total crap more often than not.
3. Take the teams track record, the IPs track record, and realize that it's more than likely NOT going to be what we would want from such a game.

And then add optimism.

I'd love for this team to do something awesome, but drawing any line in the sand between awesome and not awesome is simply raising the bar too much for them.

Too many cooks in the kitchen, too many employees, an unreasonable speed of both growth internally and public showing of the game externally (still too early for a gameplay video, despite how fast they got it together).

In other words, at the end of the day, it seems like I'm the only one possessing any sort of cautious optimism about it.

I want it to be awesome as I had a love affair with the previous Star Wars MMOG (and I have extreme disdain for the IP in general), but I'm not gonna shed any tears when it's not.

What Cyrrex is doing is called dreaming.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #2173 on: August 25, 2009, 04:32:54 PM

Maybe it is dreaming, but that footage looked an awful lot like a KOTOR game.  And yes, I've been reading the thread. 

Anyway, the only thing I know for sure is that I will buy it.  That it will be any good really is just hope at this point.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #2174 on: August 25, 2009, 04:39:47 PM

I'm with Cyrrex on this one. I may once again feel the painful sting of the MMOG herps, but hey, Star Wars will get me every time.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hayduke
Terracotta Army

Reply #2175 on: August 25, 2009, 05:46:54 PM

Doesn't look much like KOTOR to me.  Looks more like Mass Effect after getting clubbed with an EQ2 by four.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2176 on: August 25, 2009, 05:47:21 PM

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2177 on: August 25, 2009, 06:02:43 PM

I'm with Cyrrex on this one. I may once again feel the painful sting of the MMOG herps, but hey, Star Wars will get me every time.

So you are admitting that your hope is entirely irrational and that you're just that much of a sucker?

Maybe it is dreaming, but that footage looked an awful lot like a KOTOR game.  And yes, I've been reading the thread. 

Anyway, the only thing I know for sure is that I will buy it.  That it will be any good really is just hope at this point.

See above.

There is no reason to think this game will be any good at this point. At all.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2178 on: August 25, 2009, 08:34:05 PM

I'm excited for what this title could be, but there's no way to make an assessment of what it actually is right now. But if we could only talk about stuff that existed or kept ourselves to mere fact, well shit, there'd never even have been whatever BBS some ancestor of someone here was on  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

As to potential business success though, they need to get a LOT more people into the Old Republic IP than currently are. As far as I can tell, both KOTORs together sold just over 3mil units. For all they say they're doing here, 3mil wouldn't be enough by far. We're not talking Warcraft IP or Blizzard reknown here, and TOR isn't delivering to today's Clone Wars fans nor to the ep4-6 ones.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #2179 on: August 25, 2009, 09:16:49 PM

That's a good point - I wonder how many people closer to launch are going to be asking "Where's Luke? Can I be a Skywalker?".

To some extent the freedom of the Old Republic gives BioWare Austin a lot of flexibility, but there will be some kickback over it being a tangential Star Wars universe when the game gets closer to launch.

And also when they announce piddling details like how it actually plays and design decisions involving microtrans.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2180 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:43 PM

There is no way it will be just microtrans.  Why do that, when you can get on the sexy new bandwagon of charging a full sub fee and withholding content to RMT at the same time?  ITS THE PERFECT SYSTEM. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
schild
Administrator

Reply #2181 on: August 25, 2009, 09:30:45 PM

For some reason, and this is probably entirely wrong, I have a feeling they are going to raise the bar on subs to $19.99.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #2182 on: August 25, 2009, 10:42:11 PM

If they do then it better be the best game I've ever played while offering me sandboxy activities to boot.  I'd happily pass it up at that price point.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Herring
Terracotta Army

Reply #2183 on: August 25, 2009, 11:30:07 PM

I'm sure it'll lose all of its magic when you hear the same voice actor doing random NPC #505.  If it even had magic in the first place.

I know they kept stressing that they wanted the PC heroes to be able to take on several guys at once for "heroic combat", but no one in the gameplay videos seemed in danger at any point.  I hope things actually get even a little more difficult, because spamming the hell out of AOE crowd control abilities and hitting things until they die is going to get old really fast.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2184 on: August 25, 2009, 11:31:42 PM

I hope things actually get even a little more difficult, because spamming the hell out of AOE crowd control abilities and hitting things until they die is going to get old really fast.

I'm not gonna support Austinware in doing this, but I spent 1 year and 8 months spamming the hell out of AOE crowd control and poisoning things until they died in SW:G.
Herring
Terracotta Army

Reply #2185 on: August 25, 2009, 11:32:44 PM

I hope things actually get even a little more difficult, because spamming the hell out of AOE crowd control abilities and hitting things until they die is going to get old really fast.

I'm not gonna support Austinware in doing this, but I spent 1 year and 8 months spamming the hell out of AOE crowd control and poisoning things until they died in SW:G.

Was it fun?  If they can make it fun, all the more power to them.  As far as the gameplay videos went, I just wasn't very interested.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #2186 on: August 25, 2009, 11:33:11 PM

After the experiences of AoC and WAR along with the failhype of Aion, I'm not going in blind on MMOs anymore.  It better be robot jesus for $19.99.  Not that I'm disagreeing with you.  

What I'd be very interested in seeing is how Blizzard would react to a smaller game launching at a price point higher than theirs.  
stu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2187 on: August 25, 2009, 11:38:42 PM

Maybe Blizzard will drop to $12.99/mo. *chortle

Looks like BioWare is going for Ben & Jerry's, but all I see is Blue Bell.

Dear Diary,
Jackpot!
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2188 on: August 26, 2009, 02:17:35 AM

I dunno, as a star wars fanboi myself, I feel just the opposite.  Everyone shouldn't be heroic in the star wars universe, like I said before, every smuggler is han solo, every bounty hunter is boba fett, every jedi is (young) obi wan.   That doesn't really seem to jive with the spirit of star wars at all for me.

Isn't this exactly what they said for NGE? When they ripped out all of the classes and boiled the leftovers down to the dregs and called them "ICONIC" classes, so even at character creation and in your character progression "wheel" (*pukes*) you were presented with pictures of Luke or Han or (surely the most "ICONIC" of all) 2-1B medical droid - yowzer.

Well, call me an ICONoclast if you will, but I don't like it. Moves the game away from the notion of "living life in the Star Wars universe" and firmly into the pureed, diluted, easy-to-swallow garbage that high street thinkers have been told they need to have a good time.

*simmer*
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 02:19:10 AM by VainEldritch »

'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2189 on: August 26, 2009, 02:22:33 AM

I have no idea what you just said.  I thought I spoke English, but apparent I am only versed in some obscure dialect only spoken in Ohio and Tokyo. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2190 on: August 26, 2009, 02:57:18 AM

As far as I can tell, both KOTORs together sold just over 3mil units. For all they say they're doing here, 3mil wouldn't be enough by far.

If by as far as you can tell, you mean numbers from vgchartz that were pulled out of some guy's ass because NPD releases back then didn't contain the number of units sold, and don't account for PC sales at all (despite the fact that even today Kotor 2 is still being carried by most retail stores that sell PC games, and Kotor 1 was recently packaged in with Battlefront, Republic Commando, and Empire at War).

Edit:  In fact, from Bioware's own website Kotor 1 has sold over 3 million alone (across PC and Xbox).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 03:11:29 AM by Velorath »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2191 on: August 26, 2009, 03:08:01 AM

I have no idea what you just said.  I thought I spoke English, but apparent I am only versed in some obscure dialect only spoken in Ohio and Tokyo. 

Yeah, he kinda reminded me of Morte from PS:T :P

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #2192 on: August 26, 2009, 05:16:32 AM

Moves the game away from the notion of "living life in the Star Wars universe" and firmly into the pureed, diluted, easy-to-swallow garbage that high street thinkers have been told they need to have a good time.

You're an idiot.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #2193 on: August 26, 2009, 06:25:27 AM

Which is where I got the "over 3mil" number from. I figured that between remembering KOTOR2 not being as good, hearing it not selling nearly as well, BioWare not having been involved in the development, and them not specifically mentioning how successful the sequel was on that page, I'd just round to somewhere mid 3s.

VGchartz is like the MMOGchart of the video game world rolleyes
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2194 on: August 26, 2009, 07:27:12 AM

If they do then it better be the best game I've ever played while offering me sandboxy activities to boot.  I'd happily pass it up at that price point.

Yeah, well - I'd happliy pay that for what you say, or double what they need to charge per month to make this thing work, to make up for the cash shortfall incurred when most of the mini-brained wankers are filtered off by the higher price point.   Shaking fist
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:29:05 AM by VainEldritch »

WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #2195 on: August 26, 2009, 07:59:25 AM

I dunno, as a star wars fanboi myself, I feel just the opposite.  Everyone shouldn't be heroic in the star wars universe, like I said before, every smuggler is han solo, every bounty hunter is boba fett, every jedi is (young) obi wan.   That doesn't really seem to jive with the spirit of star wars at all for me.

Then don't expect to ever enjoy a Star Wars MMO. No one is going to make a game where 80% of the playerbase is forced to play useless dipshits just to foster some obscure sense of Star Warsitude.

Yeah, well - I'd happliy pay that for what you say, or double what they need to charge per month to make this thing work, to make up for the cash shortfall incurred when most of the mini-brained wankers are filtered off by the higher price point.   Shaking fist

They're never letting you into Goonswarm. Go away spy.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
VainEldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #2196 on: August 26, 2009, 08:30:56 AM

[They're never letting you into Goonswarm. Go away spy.

ACK!

Tantrum

Velorath
Contributor

Reply #2197 on: August 26, 2009, 01:14:34 PM

Which is where I got the "over 3mil" number from. I figured that between remembering KOTOR2 not being as good, hearing it not selling nearly as well, BioWare not having been involved in the development, and them not specifically mentioning how successful the sequel was on that page, I'd just round to somewhere mid 3s.

So you made up numbers.  Good to know.
Sophismata
Terracotta Army

Reply #2198 on: August 26, 2009, 03:11:25 PM

Ah, clever.

"You finally did it, you magnificent bastards. You went so nerd that even I don't know WTF you're talking about anymore. I salute you." - WindupAtheist
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2199 on: August 26, 2009, 03:25:43 PM

For some reason, and this is probably entirely wrong, I have a feeling they are going to raise the bar on subs to $19.99.

Just by the by, if they added a whole Kotor's worth of Edmonton quality story content every couple of months, which you played in Diablo/Hellgate style with a SW skin, I'd pay $19.99 to dip in and out from time to time.

(obviously they won't achieve that and the game will be denned in record time, but if they did, that'd be cool)

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #2200 on: August 26, 2009, 09:47:30 PM

Dev on the boards reveal that- SPECIES OTHER THAN HUMAN WILL BE PLAYABLE!

Well, that satisfies their substantive info release quota for the fiscal quarter.  I'm sure the weeklong series of four-hour meetings debating whether to say that there were multiple species was pretty tiring, the devs should take a vacation. 

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2201 on: August 26, 2009, 09:53:17 PM

Just by the by, if they added a whole Kotor's worth of Edmonton quality story content every couple of months, which you played in Diablo/Hellgate style with a SW skin, I'd pay $19.99 to dip in and out from time to time.

(obviously they won't achieve that and the game will be denned in record time, but if they did, that'd be cool)

You know what else you can buy for $19.99 a month? Heaps of stories that are actually well written! Woah!

Story! Oh dear golly.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #2202 on: August 27, 2009, 01:26:18 AM

You are essentially arguing that the idea of story based rpgs suck?

Well ok. Good for you.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #2203 on: August 27, 2009, 01:58:18 AM

Dev on the boards reveal that- SPECIES OTHER THAN HUMAN WILL BE PLAYABLE!

Well, that satisfies their substantive info release quota for the fiscal quarter.  I'm sure the weeklong series of four-hour meetings debating whether to say that there were multiple species was pretty tiring, the devs should take a vacation. 

Selkath  Heart awesome, for real

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #2204 on: August 27, 2009, 08:57:46 PM

You are essentially arguing that the idea of story based rpgs suck?

Well ok. Good for you.

If they call it an MMO / design it like an MMO and charge $19.99 a month for it. Hell yeah I am.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: