Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:32:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2102343 times)
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #1785 on: July 17, 2009, 03:37:28 PM

Well, quite an interesting update just went up on the official website. It's a documentary about the game voiceovers, but we can also get a glimpse of the UI (including  radial dialogs like in Mass Effect) and other stuff.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-3

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Lun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1786 on: July 17, 2009, 04:38:37 PM

Well, quite an interesting update just went up on the official website. It's a documentary about the game voiceovers, but we can also get a glimpse of the UI (including  radial dialogs like in Mass Effect) and other stuff.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-3

I keep seeing TOR devs bragging with voiceovers, and i keep asking myself "who gives a fuck about voiceovers"?
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1787 on: July 17, 2009, 04:43:50 PM

I agree.  If I were someone actively awaiting this title I would be really dissapointed about all the hoopla involving voiceovers.  I could understand if this was just one bullet point in the middle of a long list of exciting features this game will contain, but it seems 100pct of the information that anyone even knows about this game.  Just the other day in Lotro general chat someone chimed in how they couldn't wait for SWTOR oh and btw did you hear they had over 100 voice actors???   This is not something that a mmorpger should give a shit about.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #1788 on: July 17, 2009, 04:51:06 PM

/shrug

I like it, and the video made me feel pretty good about the prospects for it in general. A lot of the Star Wars-iness of Star Wars, IMO, is tied up in how the people sound, whether its the poncy English accents of the Imperial Officers, Vader's breathing, whatever. Whatever else it may or may not add, that stuff is important to the license I think.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lun
Terracotta Army

Reply #1789 on: July 17, 2009, 04:52:05 PM

I'm seeing this as: more money/time spent on voiceover actors/directors means less money/time spent on more important stuff like PvP/class balance/content etc. Or did money start growing on trees over at EA HQ?
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #1790 on: July 17, 2009, 04:53:51 PM

way too filmic IMO.  way too RPG. 
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1791 on: July 17, 2009, 04:59:26 PM

Don't get me wrong, its an interesting part of the pie, but you don't get people excited about buying Pie by telling them you spent 100 extra man hours on designing the box its coming in.  To me voice acting is not an intregal part of the game and so no matter how good it is it will never be a reason to like or dislike an mmorpg.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #1792 on: July 17, 2009, 05:11:45 PM

Eh, as long as the game itself is reasonably fun, and I can turn the VO off, I could care less about their latest bullet point.  I much prefer the company of the voices in my head, anyway.

The graphics did look a bit clunky in the video, though.  And I see the hunchback running animation made it over intact from KotOR.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #1793 on: July 17, 2009, 05:19:05 PM

I agree.  If I were someone actively awaiting this title I would be really dissapointed about all the hoopla involving voiceovers.  I could understand if this was just one bullet point in the middle of a long list of exciting features this game will contain, but it seems 100pct of the information that anyone even knows about this game.
Well, this is one of the few things that's supposed to make them stand out from MMO crowd rather than just a bullet point, so small wonder really they're showing it off.

Besides, what are they supposed to talk about at this stage of development instead; PvP class balance? I'm sure Paul Barnett will be more than willing to cover that one for them when the time comes.
Ashamanchill
Terracotta Army

Reply #1794 on: July 17, 2009, 05:59:03 PM

I'm sure Paul Barnett will be more than willing to cover that one for them when the time comes.

Oh god no!

A poster signed by Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Marc Jacobs and SmerricK Dart.  Of course it would arrive a couple years late, missing letters and a picture but it would be epic none the less. -Tmon
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #1795 on: July 17, 2009, 06:24:34 PM

So rather than being able to type whatever I want in game or say whatever I want in Vent... I get a wheel that allows me to choose 2-3 things to say? 

Or did I misunderstand the comments about Players interacting with other Players using voice overs?

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #1796 on: July 17, 2009, 06:28:24 PM

You use the wheel to interact with NPC's, but each player will have their own options in each 'scene' or whatever.

Players talking to other players will happen like in every other MMO, with mostly Text Chat with some VoiceOver Emotes.

That's my take.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #1797 on: July 17, 2009, 07:08:54 PM

To me, it really looks like playing Mass Effect with multiple player characters around you.  I like the art style in motion now.  I also like the VO work, gives it a cinematic feel. 

That movie actually made me excited for this title for the first time.  It looks like it's going to be casual gamer heaven. 

What remains to be seen and will ultimately be life or death to this game:

1.  Perpetually immersive content, maybe even monthly story updates
2.  Allowing players to enjoy VO work if they wish and to coexist with those that don't want VO. 

There's significant potential for this to be #2 MMO in NA, if executed properly.   
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #1798 on: July 17, 2009, 07:43:32 PM

The gameplay screens are really disappointing. Not unexpected, but really does look like every other fucking MMOG out there with maybe a bit more actiony combat. All this talk about VO's just makes me think it's doomed to be a severe disappointment because Bioware is clearly NOT GETTING IT. MMOG's are not about the story you give us, they are the story you let us make.

Or at least they should be.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #1799 on: July 17, 2009, 07:46:53 PM

I agree.  If I were someone actively awaiting this title I would be really dissapointed about all the hoopla involving voiceovers.  I could understand if this was just one bullet point in the middle of a long list of exciting features this game will contain, but it seems 100pct of the information that anyone even knows about this game.
Well, this is one of the few things that's supposed to make them stand out from MMO crowd rather than just a bullet point, so small wonder really they're showing it off.
Yeah and that worked so well for EQ II Ohhhhh, I see.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1800 on: July 17, 2009, 09:58:49 PM

The gameplay screens are really disappointing. Not unexpected, but really does look like every other fucking MMOG out there with maybe a bit more actiony combat. All this talk about VO's just makes me think it's doomed to be a severe disappointment because Bioware is clearly NOT GETTING IT. MMOG's are not about the story you give us, they are the story you let us make.

You nailed it.  But, the game's still gonna make money hands-over-fist and everyone here knows it.  It'll bleed dollars down the road, but all the bills will have been paid (including the suits' margins) and they can of course pull the plug or draft expansions.

What blew my mind about the textual blog on the site:
The entire game ‘script’ contains approximately 40+ novels worth of content.

That's just insane... categorically insane.  But, as we discussed earlier, the only way for them to pull off this story-based VO stuff was for it to be ridiculously expansive at the expense of the MM in MMO.  Judging by just about every trailer I've seen so far, aint much massively-multiplayer goin' on in this game... so players "making the world" is somewhat irrelevant.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #1801 on: July 17, 2009, 10:02:10 PM

Players talking to other players will happen like in every other MMO, with mostly Text Chat with some VoiceOver Emotes.

It doesn't make sense to allow text chat in a game otherwise so infused with voice.  I'm guessing they'll have integrated voice chat only, and the quality will suck so people will use Vent.  You'll get a chance to see if your buddies enunciate as well as them voice actors.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 10:03:42 PM by ajax34i »
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #1802 on: July 17, 2009, 11:12:41 PM

way too filmic IMO.  way too RPG. 
Huh.  An RPG in my MMORPG.

(Not directed specifically at Soln here, more the "oh noes, we're not getting the same damn MMO we've played ten times and claim to not want but actually do" vibe I'm getting:)

I think I said it pages ago, but I really don't care if MMO players hate this game.  The modern crop wouldn't know a good RPG if it auto-attacked them to death.  I'm disappointed the update wasn't something more substantion, however I'm even more hopeful about this being an enjoyable game now.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Senses
Terracotta Army

Reply #1803 on: July 18, 2009, 12:25:25 AM

I'm not saying VO is bad.  I'm saying, take any MMORPG you have ever hated, disliked, or generally not felt like playing for more than a week, then add 40 novels worth of dialogue and voice acting, do you like any of them any better now?  I honestly don't see what group of people they are selling the VO to, because I don't feel its the average MMO player.  Maybe its purely for the Star Wars people?
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #1804 on: July 18, 2009, 01:53:25 AM

Is SWOR going to release a video trailer for every aspect of this game? Really?

"Here's a video on our voice actors. Now here's some footage of our design team. The intern will get a 5 minute monologue about how great SWOR will be. And finally a documentary on the cleaning staff at Bioware - they are very important after all."

This game is going to be KOTOR with some multiplayer functionality. Expecting anything else is going to leave people disappointed.

Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #1805 on: July 18, 2009, 02:05:59 AM

As revealed during E3, Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ will be a fully voiced massively multiplayer online roleplaying game. Watch our third Video Documentary where we explore how voice-over conversations deliver a deeper level of immersion and connection to the story and characters. Every playable character and every non-playable character in the game will be brought to life by voice actors - resulting in several thousand speaking roles and hundreds of thousands of recorded lines of dialogue!

VOICE ACTING IN GAMES! AMAZING!

This is going to be the best TurboDuo RPG ever.

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #1806 on: July 18, 2009, 07:07:14 AM

Commander Shepard. With dual light sabers.  why so serious?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #1807 on: July 18, 2009, 12:18:19 PM

Affecting other players is considered unacceptable in today's games, but affecting other players is the only way we can make meaningful, interesting story.  Without being allowed to affect other players, the only story we can make is either play-acting inane shit that is both poorly thought out and usually really poorly acted, and generally doesn't quite mesh with the world anyway, or real drama based almost entirely on stuff like loot, asshole behavior and so on.  In EQ, WoW, and so on, there's no story created by the players.  We go around, do the quests presented to us, make friends, and sometimes get into fights or squabbles with fellow players, but it's not really part of the setting.  We might remember some raids or some of our friends and the things we did together, but not in the in-game story sense.

Being able to directly affect each other does give more opening for player-created story.  EVE is a good example.  There's an actual story in that game that results from the actions of players, which is partly metagame and yet the way the game is set up turns those actions into the story of the game.  But it's still not what players expect when they hear the idea of player-created story.  So, either way the concept is going to be off.  Given the options, a directed, well-written story given to you with some controlled options for other players to affect your story, is probably the best choice at the moment.  Which sounds like what they're trying to accomplish, I hope.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1808 on: July 18, 2009, 12:27:53 PM

Some things shall go the way of the dodo bird. This game will feature at least a few of those things.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1809 on: July 18, 2009, 02:03:02 PM

Some things shall go the way of the dodo bird. This game will feature at least a few of those things.

Do you just type shit at random because you like to see your words in print? Or does that shit actually make sense in your head?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #1810 on: July 18, 2009, 03:02:03 PM

The funniest part of them jerking off over the amount of voiceacting SWTOR is going too have is that a majority of the people who play the game aren't going to give 3/5ths of a shit about it.

"Why is this faggot talking? What do I click so I can go kill stuff and collect loot?"

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1811 on: July 18, 2009, 03:06:41 PM

The funniest part of them jerking off over the amount of voiceacting SWTOR is going too have is that a majority of the people who play the game aren't going to give 3/5ths of a shit about it.

"Why is this faggot talking? What do I click so I can go kill stuff and collect loot?"
Well, for that alleged majority a clone of Progress Quest with "click to continue" popup every 3 seconds would be the greatest MMO ever.
PalmTrees
Terracotta Army

Reply #1812 on: July 18, 2009, 03:17:19 PM

Combat looked very disappointing. Generic-looking stormtrooper guy with a big sword (so stupid) taking a bunch of light saber hits to kill. Bleh.

And the vo actor being the same guy that did Spike in Cowboy Bepbop and a 1000 other things. Tired of hearing the same damn voice overs. It can be hard listen to them and think about their characters instead of: oh that guy again, are there only like 3 guys working in the vo industry?.

The clips had a very single player game feel to them, really interested to see how it's gonna work in a multi-player environment.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #1813 on: July 18, 2009, 04:16:44 PM

Stormtroopers with swords  awesome, for real
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1814 on: July 18, 2009, 04:50:23 PM

That's more an indication of a problem with the playerbase than it is of the game.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #1815 on: July 18, 2009, 05:02:31 PM

That's more an indication of a problem with the playerbase than it is of the game.

Game's job to make the players interested, yada yada yada.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 06:15:32 PM by Hindenburg »

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1816 on: July 18, 2009, 05:59:31 PM

It bears repeating:
"They'd better force players to do the cutscenes and listen to the VO"  or else all their countless millions spent on just the writing will have been for naught.

The two ways to do this are:
a) Not be able to click through a scene
b) Make it so your game basically has nothing to offer BUT cutscenes and VO

I'm really hoping they pick the former and the latter is irrelevent.

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #1817 on: July 18, 2009, 06:24:41 PM

So far, from all the videos and whatnot, I'm getting KOTOR3. Which is awesome, and I'm really excited about that. I loved KOTOR and unlike some crazies in this thread I'm a huge proponent of adding real story and actual characters to MMOs. Been saying it for years. Groovy.

I'm just looking forward to a video where they talk about how it's a MMO. None of the above pertains to or would benefit from other players or a persistent world.

So you're a bounty hunter, and you have your companions, and you're playing through a storyline custom-tailored for you, with varied decision nodes and resources predicated on previous choices taken, and you're in the jungles of naboo, having hunted down the slaver Hubba the Hutt who killed your parents across the galaxy (step fouteen in chapter seven of a long quest chain) and... wait, why is a jedi suddenly over there? If it's instanced, the game just broke character, and it's no longer a story about you. If it's persistent, you're patiently waiting at the zoneline to join the Hubba group. (Hubba also happens to drop a flowing black silk sash.)

Maybe they'll structure it like AoC's destiny quests. Solo, instanced, and cool for the main questline, standard MMO garbage for everything else? I'm waiting to hear their solution.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #1818 on: July 18, 2009, 07:42:24 PM

So you're a bounty hunter, and you have your companions, and you're playing through a storyline custom-tailored for you, with varied decision nodes and resources predicated on previous choices taken, and you're in the jungles of naboo, having hunted down the slaver Hubba the Hutt who killed your parents across the galaxy (step fouteen in chapter seven of a long quest chain) and... wait, why is a jedi suddenly over there?
I'm guessing they're basing it on something like... you're playing the "custom" storyline of a farmer boy who's recently bought this really broken droid and --long story short-- you're now in a famous hive of scumm and villainy with older companion and looking for a smuggler to take you across the Galaxy. At the same time another player is going through their "custom" storyline where they, a smuggler who had caused local Hutt some trouble in the earlier part of the story, get to shoot some bounty hunter looking for score to settle and are then approached by what's apparently a farmer boy with a  this guy looks legit looking for a lift. Etc.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 07:45:10 PM by tmp »
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #1819 on: July 18, 2009, 11:37:32 PM

Game's job to make the players interested, yada yada yada.

Fuck that. If the players are Chuck Norris joke spouting asshats, I'm not going to go out of my way to interest them.

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: