Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:56:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2071424 times)
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #525 on: March 22, 2009, 04:30:04 AM

It's structurally sound for an aging audience that one game completely dominates. Anyone who wants to compete for our* attention has to go up against WoW. And the only way to do that is to offer a good alternative to the style of play that WoW offers wrapped in a relevant theme to draw us in (this isn't SW, it's KOTOR, which has a much narrower awareness). Because unless you have a very specific set of conditions, you're not going to offer a better version of WoW. You need to instead exploit its weaknesses. Which btw were the same ones EQ1 had.

• PvP unto itself is not a good alternative. It's either been done in a huge way and failed or been done right and been comparatively very niche. Or said another way, it's too risky for a major IP or too small a market for one.
  • Open world has been done too. And it was only big back when the entire genre was small. Risk and market size again. But then add that open was already tried with this IP, and in fact a transmorgriphied version of that still exists. So yea, no SW open world game.
  • FPS/RTS both remain largely unproven in this platform, as it's never been huge when it's been done at all, even if it was done right.

So that leaves an even more direct translation of the traditional RPG trapping of Hero's Journey, one that's different from the EQWoW character optimization system. Yes, that's the most popular mechanic, but it can only ever have a single dominating game at a time because of its model.

No idea how well they'll pull it off. I long for a return of some of Mythica's thinking about instantiated personal/small-group spaces with world-changing events that were permanent. Because if it's not instantiated, it becomes open world smiley

* Being the 18-40 crowd... because I'm older than the usual 18-34 bloc ;-)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #526 on: March 22, 2009, 10:49:06 AM

Did you have to qualify your qualifier?  Now I feel old. tongue

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #527 on: March 22, 2009, 01:14:08 PM

Bioware job isn't really hard, they probably picked the best design model that fits their ability to make a good game. Even if its a not a true blood mmo, a good game with extensive multiplayer may hit just short of a million boxes sold (not just available for retail), and probably end up keeping 50% of the player base in a 6 month period. Pretty good business. If they really want to design an mmo true and true but with a "twist" (aka every mmo for the past 5 years) they have to have budget that covers its cost with 250k player base or pray to the snake god of game design that they keep over 400k paying subs for a year. Otherwise your running deficit once the free trials are up and half your playerbase goes back to WoW (looking at you WAR and AoC).
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #528 on: March 22, 2009, 01:23:50 PM

Otherwise your running deficit once the free trials are up and half your playerbase goes back to WoW (looking at you WAR and AoC).
I'm fairly certain that Funcom and Mythic would be extremely glad if only half their playerbase had returned to wow.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
DLRiley
Terracotta Army

Reply #529 on: March 22, 2009, 01:36:40 PM

Otherwise your running deficit once the free trials are up and half your playerbase goes back to WoW (looking at you WAR and AoC).
I'm fairly certain that Funcom and Mythic would be extremely glad if only half their playerbase had returned to wow.

True, I should have said, when 90% of your playerbase goes back to WoW.
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #530 on: March 23, 2009, 12:54:57 PM

Did you have to qualify your qualifier?  Now I feel old. tongue

What this tells me is that in 2 years I have to take up shuffleboard and drop my Cable for AOL dial-up.

Die.

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #531 on: March 23, 2009, 01:39:56 PM

Give me a few years and apparently I'll be on death's door.  You don't have to wait long.

Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #532 on: March 23, 2009, 01:59:30 PM

What? I can't read you. Use a larger font, sonny!

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #533 on: March 23, 2009, 02:09:55 PM

I walked away with a positive impression.

With the outstanding EA track record regarding MMO development, I'm sure it will come out feature-complete and polished, too. Oh man, let's form a guild right now.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #534 on: March 24, 2009, 04:46:12 AM

i'll bite. Sith or Jedi? Or we gonna be bounty hunters?  awesome, for real

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #535 on: March 24, 2009, 04:51:25 AM

BH. Obviously.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #536 on: March 24, 2009, 07:22:33 AM

Sith.  Dark Space Ninjas with LAZERSWORDS always win.
schild
Administrator

Reply #537 on: March 24, 2009, 08:00:55 AM

Ewok Faction guilds or GTFO, "Bioware."
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #538 on: March 24, 2009, 09:13:28 AM

I'll play the droid technician  swamp poop
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #539 on: March 24, 2009, 09:16:13 AM

I'm holding out to see if there will be smugglers. Fuck mages Jedi.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
schild
Administrator

Reply #540 on: March 24, 2009, 09:17:38 AM

Smugglers who don't smuggle but do in the design doc, confirmed.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #541 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:59 AM

CH

Pokemon > Jedi

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #542 on: March 24, 2009, 03:15:18 PM

Heart

AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #543 on: March 24, 2009, 05:30:00 PM

BURN THE UNBELIEVER!!  HE IS A HERETIC!
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #544 on: March 24, 2009, 11:19:42 PM

I'll be whatever faction you old assholes aren't playing. It'll be like farming dark side points from.... old assholes  why so serious?
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #545 on: March 25, 2009, 02:32:22 PM

"you may be younger and faster. But I have better insurance."

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #546 on: March 25, 2009, 03:12:49 PM

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear.

ACK!

I feel worse for actually knowing the reference too.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Kovacs
Terracotta Army

Reply #547 on: March 26, 2009, 11:08:12 AM

that's funny.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #548 on: March 30, 2009, 08:08:01 PM

Oh they left a lot out of the KOTOR game. Just giving a mention of Darth Malak from KOTOR1.
Looking at the 'landslide' victory in war, I'm amazed that the narration concluded with the Galaxy divided somewhat 'equally' among the two when the graphic presentation slide comes up. Way to be impartial guys!

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #549 on: March 30, 2009, 08:31:25 PM

Sith is the new Horde/Destruction, right?  I don't want to accidentally pick Jedi if they aren't cool!!!!

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #550 on: March 30, 2009, 10:39:47 PM

You have to wait and see which faction gets the half finished quests and scenery and the spraggon model used in 23 different colours as your NPC mobs.

Whichever faction is granted the power of persecution complex is automatically the cool one.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #551 on: March 31, 2009, 06:08:04 AM

So...  Are we doing another F13 guild (or space guilde, or whatever the fuck they call it in this game?

If so sign me up for 2 months of frenetic play followed by angry ragequit.  I'll bring my wife too so she can berate me for my poor PvP play.
schild
Administrator

Reply #552 on: March 31, 2009, 08:43:53 AM

So...  Are we doing another F13 guild (or space guilde, or whatever the fuck they call it in this game?

If so sign me up for 2 months of frenetic play followed by angry ragequit.  I'll bring my wife too so she can berate me for my poor PvP play.

You know the great thing about this game? We probably won't need to. It's "storyline driven" rite? If they do an open beta, we can all finish it in a few weeks.

The whole thing is ill-planned from the beginning.
amiable
Terracotta Army

Reply #553 on: March 31, 2009, 08:54:57 AM

You know the great thing about this game? We probably won't need to. It's "storyline driven" rite? If they do an open beta, we can all finish it in a few weeks.

The whole thing is ill-planned from the beginning.

So what the fucks endgame?  PvP?  Poetry slams?  Writing intricate genealogies for your characters and pets?  Pokemon breeding?
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #554 on: March 31, 2009, 09:22:06 AM

So what the fucks endgame?  PvP?  Poetry slams?  Writing intricate genealogies for your characters and pets?  Pokemon breeding?

This is why I keep asking why this game is an MMO.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #555 on: March 31, 2009, 09:26:54 AM

It seemed like a good idea at the time.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #556 on: March 31, 2009, 11:10:38 AM

So what the fucks endgame? 
No, you just go ahead and think inside the box.

End game.

Looser.
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #557 on: March 31, 2009, 11:18:18 AM

Whichever faction is granted the power of persecution complex is automatically the cool one.
One with wookies and ewoks, then?
waylander
Terracotta Army

Reply #558 on: March 31, 2009, 11:19:19 AM

Bioware is new to the MMO scene, but I have the utmost faith in that company. They have never developed a shitty product, and on the small scale they learned how to meld a storyline and small party adventures together like no one else. We'll see if they can do that with TOR while scaling it up for the masses, and right now everything I see looks good.

Right now Bioware is one of the few rays of hope, and TOR is probably the best setting to do a star wars MMO because you're not married to a certain plot or timeline like SOE was with SWG.

Lords of the Dead
Gaming Press - Retired
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #559 on: March 31, 2009, 11:33:41 AM

Bioware is new to the MMO scene, but I have the utmost faith in that company.

Statements like this have an awesome track record when it comes to MMOs.  awesome, for real
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: