Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:48:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 402 Go Down Print
Author Topic: SWTOR  (Read 2072732 times)
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #420 on: February 13, 2009, 09:01:49 AM

As for where Blizzard got their people, I know Kalgan used to be Evocare from the UO team. He bolted when EA fully borged OSI, after having been lead developer on the Age of Shadows expansion. If you've ever played both a UO necromancer and a WoW death knight, you can definitely see the same guy's fingerprints on both in terms of gameplay concepts.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #421 on: February 13, 2009, 09:21:29 AM

How about we not have raids?  Is there anything that can retain people endgame other than raids and/or random PvP gankery?  Maybe not, I guess...

Raids are a catchall term, of which Kidsune's analogy is a part.

What we're really looking for is a repetitive event-base activity that retains accounts with deep ongoing new content being added at the unrealistic rate at which it is consumed. That's raids, battlegrounds, arenas, etc. Repetitive gameplay with a different advancement arc.

If you want to get away from that, you're in the proven land of UO and Eve. And it's proven in two ways:

• Social commerce and player driven economies can retain interest in a virtual world.
  • Somewhere south of 1% of all current MMO players give a rats ass about it.

It's also a lot harder to make something like that work than it is to get players conditioned to periodic new content and personal advancement paths.

So yea, we could not have raids, but...   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #422 on: February 13, 2009, 09:26:14 AM

If they try to do WoW, it's already a flop.  Trying to pull off a 10-man raid scenario in Star Wars just results in stupidity.  A ten-minute-long fight of a 'boss' being tanked by a jedi while soldiers pump a few thousand blaster shots into it is ridiculous.
Funnily enough Star Wars is perhaps a setting where this works -- could definitely see some emperor-level guy to focus all attention on the one (few) jedi attempting to slice him, while some retards with lasers pointlessly take pot shots at him from around the room, only to get two-shotted wih lighting if they draw too much attention to themselves.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #423 on: February 13, 2009, 10:07:27 AM

I've had too many low-level WoW mobs throw spears through my paladin until he looks like a pincushion while he stood there laughing, landed too many giant leap-into-the-air hammerblows on dudes without them even staggering, to think that typical medieval fantasy MMO combat is any more believable than guys shrugging off laser beams.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #424 on: February 13, 2009, 03:38:30 PM

It's okay, because they're blasters.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #425 on: February 14, 2009, 12:09:59 PM

It's okay, because they're blasters.

Powered by blaster gas. Which means guns in the Star Wars universe are fart guns.

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #426 on: February 15, 2009, 04:26:52 PM

Is that why the prequels stunk?

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
calapine
Terracotta Army

Solely responsible for the thread on "The Condom Wall."

Reply #427 on: February 16, 2009, 12:50:07 AM

Someone please excuse my stupidity, but are this this  and this  actual screenshots or concept art? The art style would give me the feeling of playing an interactive painting   swamp poop

Edit: oh, and this is what huts look like: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20090213_004_1600x900.jpg (all released 13th feb 2009)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 01:22:56 AM by calapine »

Restoration is a perfectly valid school of magic!
Tale
Terracotta Army

sıɥʇ ǝʞıן sʞןɐʇ

Reply #428 on: February 16, 2009, 12:50:47 AM

This is the SWTOR thread, so insert random "they're both star wars" segue. I'm not posting it in Gutboyland.

SWG wants to be your furry valentine: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3328/swgclientr2009021203552au4.jpg
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #429 on: February 16, 2009, 03:02:20 AM

This is the SWTOR thread, so insert random "they're both star wars" segue. I'm not posting it in Gutboyland.

SWG wants to be your furry valentine: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/3328/swgclientr2009021203552au4.jpg

That's. just. WRONG.

Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #430 on: February 16, 2009, 06:17:56 AM

Yup, saw that and immediately logged right the fuck out and played TR instead.

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #431 on: February 16, 2009, 06:36:04 AM

Someone please excuse my stupidity, but are this this  and this  actual screenshots or concept art? The art style would give me the feeling of playing an interactive painting   swamp poop

Edit: oh, and this is what huts look like: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20090213_004_1600x900.jpg (all released 13th feb 2009)

Yep, thats the art direction the game is taking.  Screenshots.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #432 on: February 16, 2009, 07:34:58 AM

Yep, thats the art direction the game is taking.  Screenshots.

Thank you. :)
A bit...uninspiring...to be honest. I realise MMORPGs should be designed to run well on the widest possible selection of systems as well as handle 100+ characters on the screen at the same time, but still... *sigh*

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #433 on: February 16, 2009, 07:59:17 AM

Ok, I sorta agree on the interior shot. It reminds me of levels in the first Unreal, and all the spawn that have descended from it since.

But the outdoor shots on (presumably) Tatooine are fantastic. If there's any limitation at all it's from the source material. And given what they're trying with the engine, I think even the Hutt (two Ts ;-) ) even looks good.

Yea, I'm starting to have hopes for this title. I feel like 2010 is going to be the first full year where we'll have games that were reactions to WoW rather that oh-shit-too-late-to-change games that were in the queue prior to 2004.
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #434 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:38 AM

That stuff looks bad to you? Since when is being given the feeling of playing an interactive painting even close to being a negative comment?

It looks pretty decent so far. And probably looks pretty good to a whole legion of non-gaming star wars fans
SnakeCharmer
Terracotta Army

Reply #435 on: February 16, 2009, 08:37:32 AM

I've really come around to the art style as well.  Looks fantastic.  There's very little difference in concept art to screenshot.

The only thing I'm not keen on is the spandex suits.
calapine
Terracotta Army

Reply #436 on: February 16, 2009, 09:10:18 AM

I've really come around to the art style as well.  Looks fantastic. 
That stuff looks bad to you?

eeek! Time for some frantic backpedalling... Grin

Well, Darniaq already pointed out its mostly on the interior shots. I still stand by my first impression though, which was somewhat underwhelmed.
Maybe these shots illustrate it better:

Exhibit 1: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20081021_TombLightsaberDuel_full.jpg
Exhibit 2: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20081021_PlatformLightsaberDuel_full.jpg
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:12:49 AM by calapine »

Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #437 on: February 16, 2009, 09:39:16 AM

It looks a little cartoony to me, but if, like WoW, it plays smoothly on my 4 year old PC I'd give it a shot.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #438 on: February 16, 2009, 09:42:41 AM

Well, Darniaq already pointed out its mostly on the interior shots. I still stand by my first impression though, which was somewhat underwhelmed.
Maybe these shots illustrate it better:

Exhibit 1: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20081021_TombLightsaberDuel_full.jpg
Exhibit 2: http://cdn-www.swtor.com/sites/all/files/ss/SS_20081021_PlatformLightsaberDuel_full.jpg
Yeah, the style is not photorealism but rather something with slight cel-shaded quality to it. This is pretty consistent with the style from their previous KotOR games and not really wrong, imo -- avoids the uncanny valley effect and helps the immersion.

The interior shot doesn't really show anything wrong with the engine or the graphics style, it's rather issue with uninspired design.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 09:46:19 AM by tmp »
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #439 on: February 16, 2009, 10:13:59 AM

It's all taste, sure.  But I'm not seeing the issue. 

The character models need a bit of work, and a little anisotropic filtering wouldn't hurt those shots.  But the environments look wonderful. 
Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #440 on: February 16, 2009, 10:30:27 AM

Yeah, I used to be one of those people that was all "Ooooh, i love realism!! DRILLING AND MANLINESS"  But then I realized, there are lots of styles that are plain nice to look at regardless of how real they look.  So now I'm pretty much willing to let any graphical style have a chance as long as its nice to look at.

If I want to bash on this game, there are plenty of reasons, but the graphics aren't one of them why so serious?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #441 on: February 16, 2009, 10:43:58 AM

Yeah, I used to be one of those people that was all "Ooooh, i love realism!! DRILLING AND MANLINESS"  But then I realized, there are lots of styles that are plain nice to look at regardless of how real they look.  So now I'm pretty much willing to let any graphical style have a chance as long as its nice to look at.

If I want to bash on this game, there are plenty of reasons, but the graphics aren't one of them why so serious?

It's starting to remind me a lot of the clone wars cartoon and I really dislike the look of that.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #442 on: February 16, 2009, 11:36:53 AM

Considerate of them to highlight the area to aim at.

Those are from their first released screenshots.  They've been tweaking the people from what I've seen of later ones.  I rather like the look of the environments themselves though.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #443 on: February 16, 2009, 02:21:14 PM

But the outdoor shots on (presumably) Tatooine are fantastic. If there's any limitation at all it's from the source material. And given what they're trying with the engine, I think even the Hutt (two Ts ;-) ) even looks good.

It's Hutta apparently. The original homeworld of - erm, someone - I forget who but sure I'll remember eventually. Before it got destroyed and they took to the moons.

The comments on this page are gold.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #444 on: February 16, 2009, 03:55:30 PM

Ah, Nal Hutta? Yea, the Hutts strip-mined everything including the atmosphere, but the moon (Nal Shardda) became a huge smuggler depot. I remember some early Solo visits there from some novels.

So I looked it up and saw that the shot on this entry looks fairly close to the ones above.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #445 on: February 16, 2009, 03:58:41 PM

I refuse to nerdrage every time a new set of photos is released and plan to save it for when the actual gameplay is available for testing.

Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #446 on: February 16, 2009, 04:45:09 PM

What I'm mainly worried about is all the screenshots of people fighting animals.  We've been down that road before. 

EDIT:  I mean, fuck, what was it about the six movies that makes developers think Star Wars is a farm animal killing scenario?  The collective two minutes spent in the wampa cave and rancor pit? 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2009, 04:48:13 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Jobu
Terracotta Army

Lord Buttrot

Reply #447 on: February 16, 2009, 05:02:13 PM

EDIT:  I mean, fuck, what was it about the six movies that makes developers think Star Wars is a farm animal killing scenario?  The collective two minutes spent in the wampa cave and rancor pit? 

And fighting cat monsters in a gladiator pit, and fighting a space worm thing, and fighting mynocks, and fighting garbage snakes...
Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #448 on: February 16, 2009, 06:03:08 PM

I blame the Womp Rats line. Exterminating vermin since ANH!  awesome, for real

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #449 on: February 17, 2009, 10:20:31 AM

What I'm mainly worried about is all the screenshots of people fighting animals.  We've been down that road before. 

It's because they're all a bunch of dickbags lacking in even the basic creativity required to divorce themselves from the medieval fantasy MMO "kill monsters" meme. Christ, this shit looks stupid.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #450 on: February 17, 2009, 10:26:04 AM

Oh!  I hope there are swordsmen, people with pikes and medics that can throw damage over time poisons!

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #451 on: February 17, 2009, 10:43:03 AM

It's because they're all a bunch of dickbags lacking in even the basic creativity required to divorce themselves from the medieval fantasy MMO "kill monsters" meme. Christ, this shit looks stupid.
Nah, more like because people otherwise bitch about not enough variety in shapes of their xp bags. So it's not all robots and badly trained storm troopers/rainbow aliens with differently shaped foreheads, BFD. Limiting the types of targets isn't exactly creative, either; nor any less stupid in the settings dating back few thousand years from 'long, long time ago' and located in brain of some fart who thought knights with laser swords would be cool, to begin with.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #452 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:21 AM

I blame the Womp Rats line. Exterminating vermin since ANH!  awesome, for real

Seriously, Luke spent his first couple levels grinding wamp rats.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #453 on: February 17, 2009, 11:38:03 AM

Oh!  I hope there are swordsmen, people with pikes and medics that can throw damage over time poisons!

Pikeman was fun, and lore correct.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 11:44:58 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
DraconianOne
Terracotta Army

Reply #454 on: February 17, 2009, 01:46:43 PM

Seriously, Luke spent his first couple levels grinding wamp rats.

Yeah but not enough. He got owned by sand people and nearly got owned in the Cantina. And the Dia Noga. Fortunately he was carried through the Death Star instance by the rest of his group and vehicle based combat didn't seem to have level based restrictions. Bet he got a stack of XP and a couple of levels for taking part in the "Death Star" raid. Mind you, rerolling into jedi class when the first expansion came out was a bit lame - and he still got owned by a low level wampa.

A point can be MOOT. MUTE is more along the lines of what you should be. - WayAbvPar
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 402 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Star Wars: The Old Republic  |  Topic: SWTOR  
Jump to: