Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 10, 2024, 01:51:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android! 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Android!  (Read 825182 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1050 on: July 03, 2010, 02:32:22 PM

Droid X should be out in 2 weeks I think?
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1051 on: July 03, 2010, 11:10:06 PM

My dilemma is that I'll need a new phone very soon (once my ex-employer cuts off this awful AT&T service that I don't plan to stay with) and the Droid X isn't out yet and the Incredible is back-ordered until well after the Droid X launches. I'm tempted by the keyboard of the original Moto Droid and the fact that they're actually in stock at VZW, but will I regret getting one?

I just recently traded my Palm Pre Plus for one. It's an awesome phone still. It's also easily rooted and overclocked if one were so inclined to do so.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? However, I'm probably going to be left out in the cold on Gingerbread until late next year when I'll be eligible for an upgrade. The processor speed is fine, as I have it overclocked, but the 256 MB RAM will end up screwing me in that department.

Unless someone throws together a ROM for it. I can only hope.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1052 on: July 06, 2010, 05:25:15 PM

Rumors: http://techie-buzz.com/mobile-news/rumor-samsung-already-working-on-a-galaxy-s-successor.html

A leaked picture of the successor of the Galaxy S a.k.a Galaxy S I9200 has been found on the internet. The phone is rumored to feature a 4.3-inch Super-AMOLED display with a resolution of 1280×720. The phone will be powered by a 2 GHz processor (!), and will have 1GB of RAM, and 4GB of ROM. The camera at the back of the device will be an 8MP one, with 1080p video recording capability.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #1053 on: July 06, 2010, 10:45:29 PM

I wonder where they're finding 2GHz ARM cores -- the highest end I've seen at present are 1.5GHz scorpion from Qualcomm, and unless you're really cranking the memory bus (hard on battery) running at or above 1GHz doesn't buy you much (tests we did on N1 showed little or no user perceptible difference between 768MHz max clock and 1GHz).
TripleDES
Terracotta Army

Reply #1054 on: July 07, 2010, 11:43:05 AM

It's a Samsung phone, don't expect any aftersales service. There's also no dev community worth mentioning. For that matter, Moto and HTC are promising similar jesusphones.

EVE (inactive): Deakin Frost -- APB (fukken dead): Kayleigh (on Patriot).
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1055 on: July 07, 2010, 12:09:52 PM

I wonder where they're finding 2GHz ARM cores -- the highest end I've seen at present are 1.5GHz scorpion from Qualcomm, and unless you're really cranking the memory bus (hard on battery) running at or above 1GHz doesn't buy you much (tests we did on N1 showed little or no user perceptible difference between 768MHz max clock and 1GHz).

pretty sure it is marketing speak, the phone uses the hummingbird cpu which is 1ghz, the phone spiel does mention multicore so maybe it is really 2x1ghz hummingbird cpus.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1056 on: July 07, 2010, 12:29:07 PM

Aha.  They had been making noise about an SMP follow-on to their PC110 SoC.  Maybe it's finally shipping then.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #1057 on: July 07, 2010, 06:24:00 PM

I suddenly find that I want a simple tethering solution before Friday of this week.  Also seems like PDANet is what the Google searches turn up, but I figure there has to be something else by now.  Short story is that my Blackberry has died and my plans to work from a lakeside retreat in the mountains this weekend is in danger.  I seem to get a good 3G on my Moto Droid, though, so I am looking for a quick fix.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #1058 on: July 07, 2010, 09:10:23 PM

I've only seen mention of it, but apparently you can tether using a USB cable in debug mode, but not sure for which devices it works and can't find any links.
Salamok
Terracotta Army

Reply #1059 on: July 07, 2010, 09:29:03 PM

pdaNet requires USB in debug mode, easy to set up and other than the need for a cable I'm pretty happy with it. 
Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #1060 on: July 08, 2010, 07:16:36 PM

I just recently traded my Palm Pre Plus for one. It's an awesome phone still. It's also easily rooted and overclocked if one were so inclined to do so.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly? However, I'm probably going to be left out in the cold on Gingerbread until late next year when I'll be eligible for an upgrade. The processor speed is fine, as I have it overclocked, but the 256 MB RAM will end up screwing me in that department.

Unless someone throws together a ROM for it. I can only hope.

I went for it. I didn't need the latest & greatest and the keyboard is handy. There will lots of new phones by the time Gingerbread is generally available and this will do until then. :)

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Ozzu
Terracotta Army

Reply #1061 on: July 10, 2010, 02:03:14 AM

Wordwise is such an addicting game. I guess I understand why 'Words With Friends' became a popular iPhone app now. This is similar to that.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1062 on: July 10, 2010, 11:36:12 AM

I plan on getting the new Sammy 'droid phone on the 18th from ATT.  Anyone got the skinny on this thing?  Supposedly, it's a "gaming" phone... comes with "sixaxis" control.
I know it's still entry-level Droid tech' by comparison, but it's the best droid ATT has to offer right now.   I like the display specs; 4" amoled that doesnt burn through batteries (16 hr. talk time supposedly); typical Sammy display dominance  (cant wait to push ther graphics drivers to the limit).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 12:07:52 PM by Ghambit »

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Engels
Terracotta Army

inflicts shingles.

Reply #1063 on: July 10, 2010, 11:54:29 AM

Do you mean the Samsung Captivate?

I should get back to nature, too.  You know, like going to a shop for groceries instead of the computer.  Maybe a condo in the woods that doesn't even have a health club or restaurant attached.  Buy a car with only two cup holders or something. -Signe

I LIKE being bounced around by Tonkors. - Lantyssa

Babies shooting themselves in the head is the state bird of West Virginia. - schild
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1064 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:09 PM

Do you mean the Samsung Captivate?

yes

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #1065 on: July 10, 2010, 12:53:18 PM

It's ATT"s version of the Galaxy S.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #1066 on: July 10, 2010, 01:28:39 PM

Considering it's their first high-end Android phone, I really hope they don't gimp it like they have their last two.  (Yes, I know, Nexus One, but that's over $500.)  There's no indications that they won't though so... yeah.

Fucking AT&T.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1067 on: July 10, 2010, 05:21:26 PM

Whatever, I'm gonna hack the shit outta mine regardless, along with dabblilng in some sixaxis 'droid game development.

Lantien
Terracotta Army

Reply #1068 on: July 12, 2010, 07:39:05 PM

Just got back from a one week visit to Asia.  Froyo 2.2 on the Nexus one held up well for the very little I was doing.  Once I got to a fairly well connected city (Taipei), was able to take advantage of the Wifi they have blanketing most of the city.  Didn't have a chance to play with the tethering though.  Battery life held up pretty well, as my phone as an mp3 player made it across both sides of the trip. Definitely very cool to have the internet in your pocket, as opposed to lugging a laptop.

As for the Samsung Galaxy S, got to fiddle with it a bit when I was at a store in Taipei.  Pretty phone, responsive with Samsung's version of 2.1 on the phone.

Just to keep it straight, the Samsung Galaxy S will be released for all 4 major US carriers, with minor tweaks/renames to each ones.  The general things they seem to have in common are 4 inch screens, a 5 MP camera, a GHz processor, and a half gig of RAM.  I think most of them (all of them?) will come loaded with Swype too.

T-mobile: The Samsung Vibrant will be out July 15th.  No front facing camera.
AT&T: AT&T's version will be called the Samsung Captivate. 
Sprint: will be called the Samsung Epic 4G.  It plans on having a hardware keyboard, and a front facing camera.
Verizon: will be called the Samsung Fascinate. 

I would imagine as this phone has quite shiny specs, this phone will have a much better following/community than what was able with prior Samsung phones (especially the behold II).
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1069 on: July 12, 2010, 10:26:40 PM

Thanks for the rundown.

Captivate has been announced as available July 18th. 

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
KallDrexx
Terracotta Army

Reply #1070 on: July 14, 2010, 05:25:27 AM

Considering it's their first high-end Android phone, I really hope they don't gimp it like they have their last two.  (Yes, I know, Nexus One, but that's over $500.)  There's no indications that they won't though so... yeah.

Fucking AT&T.

My IT admin coworker got the Aria and he loves it (his first android phone too).  He did root it but I don't think it's that bad of a phone.  It's not like the backflip.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1071 on: July 14, 2010, 08:53:15 AM

Can someone explain "rooting" in old-guy moron-speak for me?

-H.L. Mencken
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1072 on: July 14, 2010, 09:04:32 AM

I think the simple terms of putting it would be it gives access to everything in the phone. If it was a computer, using a rooted phone is like using a computer as the admin while a non-rooted phone is like being a basic user with limitations set for you and leaves some files as read only.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #1073 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:18 PM

I get that part of it, but what does it allow you to do in practical terms, i.e. what benefit is there to doing it?

-H.L. Mencken
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #1074 on: July 14, 2010, 12:17:00 PM

I get that part of it, but what does it allow you to do in practical terms, i.e. what benefit is there to doing it?

A prime practical example (non android) on the iPhone it allows you to install apps outside of the apple controlled store. Or setup the ui how you want it.

On the android where the OS is not nearly the walled garden apple has. The only reason I see to root an android phone would be the ability to load custom firmware if your phone is an older release.
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1075 on: July 14, 2010, 12:40:26 PM

For android, rooting allows for custom UIs, system back ups to an SD card, tethering, removing bloatware (such as that from Sprint), organizing cache data to an SD card (such as the market, google maps, etc), and overclocking.
Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #1076 on: July 15, 2010, 05:38:40 AM

How powerful is the SD card cache??  Noticeable differences?
Also, is there no app that will "auto-organize" the SD to proper virtual memory?

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1077 on: July 15, 2010, 07:18:29 AM

zomg... getting a DroidX today (assuming the stores don't sell out?)!!
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1078 on: July 15, 2010, 10:11:30 AM

DroidX locked…
http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/

Well, I might have recommended a Droid X for big-phone-lovin’ fandroids out there… but now that I’ve read about Motorola’s insane eFuse security system, I’m going to have to give this one a big fat DON’T BUY on principle. I won’t restate all my reasons for supporting the modding, hacking, jailbreaking, and so on of your legally-owned products here — if you’re interested in a user’s manifesto, read this — but suffice it to say that deliberately bricking a phone if the user fiddles with it does not fall under the “reasonable” category of precautions taken by manufacturers.

Really. If you want to make it difficult to hack, that’s fine. You think your software should be enough, that’s fine. But once I pay money for the item, it’s mine, and disabling my device because you don’t like what I’m doing with it falls under the category of sabotage.

Here’s what eFuse does. This information is a couple days old but it’s worth reading if you’re interested in Android, development, or open standards in general. Besides, I just found out about it, so you have to read my words whether you like it or not. or you could just stop reading. Either way. Anyway:

If the eFuse failes to verify this information then the eFuse receives a command to “blow the fuse” or “trip the fuse”. This results in the booting process becoming corrupted and resulting in a permanent bricking of the Phone. This FailSafe is activated anytime the bootloader is tampered with or any of the above three parts of the phone has been tampered with.

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1079 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:00 AM

It's been present in Motorola Android phones already, just not used.
http://stevenbird.info/2010/07/15/droidx-today-is-the-day-more-security-info/

Also:
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/07/15/reality-check-modding-the-droid-x-may-not-lead-to-a-bricked-phone/
http://www.droid-life.com/2010/07/15/enough-with-the-efuse-talk-already/

How powerful is the SD card cache??  Noticeable differences?
Also, is there no app that will "auto-organize" the SD to proper virtual memory?

I haven't moved my cache so I don't know how big of an effect it has.
naum
Terracotta Army

Reply #1080 on: July 15, 2010, 10:22:57 AM

"Should the batman kill Joker because it would save more lives?" is a fundamentally different question from "should the batman have a bunch of machineguns that go BATBATBATBATBAT because its totally cool?". ~Goumindong
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1081 on: July 15, 2010, 10:32:43 AM

That looks awesome, thanks for that post Naum.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #1082 on: July 15, 2010, 12:27:04 PM

Just got my droidX. OMG so awesome.  Now I need to find all the apps that I couldn't get on my G1.

Suggestions please.

How about a cool looking RSS Reader first.  

Edit:
So far: NewsBob, Kindle, Pandora, Solitare, NESoid (will download roms when I get home), task manager, siriusxm radio.

Anyone have any decent live wallpapers?
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:02:05 PM by Draegan »
Segoris
Terracotta Army

Reply #1083 on: July 15, 2010, 01:15:15 PM

Grats on the phone!

Just out of curiosity, can you see if you can find Mario Live or Digital Rain wallpapers on your DroidX in the market? I couldn't on my Droid with Android 2.1 and am wondering if it is a Motorola issue or something else. They work now but getting them on my phone and working was a pain compared to how easy it normally is.

For apps, I know within the last few pages there were suggestions on apps, so just dig through the last few pages. Though, here are some I remember off the top of my head:

TasKiller
Dolphin HD
MountUSB
Barcode Scanner
Adobe Reader
AndroZip
DroidLight (uses flash from camera as a flashlight)
Ringdroid
Stopwatch

For Live Wallpapers, I keep Galaxy, Digital Rain, Fireworks, Mario Live, and Water
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #1084 on: July 15, 2010, 03:43:36 PM

Yeah these guys are a bit hysterical about the efuse business.  Moto has always used OMAP secure boot.  That doesn't actually prevent most of the exploits people want to gain control of the system.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 74 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Topic: Android!  
Jump to: