Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:09:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Blizzard: Warhammer players already returning to Warcraft 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blizzard: Warhammer players already returning to Warcraft  (Read 53917 times)
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #70 on: October 17, 2008, 11:35:28 AM

I don't think it will have any large effect.  It does make me think the game is run by people out of touch with reality (not really new for most MMOs), and it will reinforce any perceived lack of improvement.  So the effect is small, but for someone on the fence it could have a subconcious effect on their choice.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Azazel
Contributor

Reply #71 on: October 17, 2008, 08:22:04 PM

I don't care what the devs have to say if the game is good. However, by all accounts, WAR is not worth me starting up my subscription at this stage, and what concerns me about MJ's rantings is that he appears to be taking an "it's all good, dammit" approach rather than a "we will fix it" approach.

Also, XP nerf just before release is a real  swamp poop move.

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #72 on: October 17, 2008, 08:48:03 PM

Weird part is all these threads make me consider going back to WoW for WotLK instead of to WAR for teh new shiney.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #73 on: October 17, 2008, 09:06:04 PM

They did the same thing in DaoC, just soon after launch.

And yeah, it's wierd. I stopped playing WoW quite a while ago, but I'm tempted to pick up WotLK now.
insouciant
Terracotta Army

Reply #74 on: October 17, 2008, 09:58:25 PM

Funny you two should say that about returning to WoW.  That was my feeling also and I reupped WoW yesterday.

All the reasons I left WOW are still there, but I had forgotten one thing, WoW still has the Worst Goddammed Patching System on the Face of the Earth.

Resist the urge is my advice.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 10:03:25 PM

And yeah, it's wierd. I stopped playing WoW quite a while ago, but I'm tempted to pick up WotLK now.

Having the same effect.  For whatever reason I feel like some quest based advancement.  GYAH.  I thought that damn urge was dead. WoW's PVP direction still makes me nauseous.

-Rasix
Sparky
Terracotta Army

Reply #76 on: October 18, 2008, 12:36:51 AM

Having the same effect.  For whatever reason I feel like some quest based advancement.  GYAH.  I thought that damn urge was dead. WoW's PVP direction still makes me nauseous.

Luckily I get that sinking feeling when digging out the CDs and it goes no further.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #77 on: October 18, 2008, 09:08:14 AM

I don't care what the devs have to say if the game is good. However, by all accounts, WAR is not worth me starting up my subscription at this stage, and what concerns me about MJ's rantings is that he appears to be taking an "it's all good, dammit" approach rather than a "we will fix it" approach.

Actually, I think Mythic has been pretty responsive in trying to fix things with WAR.

However, it really looks like the problems they are addressing aren't really the problems they thought might pop up. So there is some scrambling going on.

I really want to hang around in WAR, but the regular ctd is killing my interest.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Teaching the world Google-fu one broken dream at a time.

Reply #78 on: October 18, 2008, 10:12:04 AM

The number of crashes has diminished with each patch for me. But they are still happening, and I still suspect that its related to memory handling. The odds of surviving an Alt-Tab to change Ventrilo channels are better which is nice.

The camera adds a thousand barrels. - Steven Colbert
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #79 on: October 18, 2008, 10:33:13 AM

I've started playing in windowed mode to handle alt-tab.  It seems to run as well for me, and my roommate has stopped crashing completely from it.  Since it doesn't have window borders I don't even notice it... except alt-tabbing works so much better.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #80 on: October 18, 2008, 10:51:13 AM

I can actually alt-tab with no fear of a crash.

However, I'll be just running around and poomf - CTD.

HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #81 on: October 20, 2008, 12:41:14 PM

That's the one I get. Usually somewhere about hour 2.5 - 3 of concurrent playtime, my performance will go to shit. Within about 15 minutes of that, I just drop to desktop. That's usually my queue to just log the fuck off for the night.

Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #82 on: October 20, 2008, 01:51:59 PM

The number of crashes has diminished with each patch for me. But they are still happening, and I still suspect that its related to memory handling. The odds of surviving an Alt-Tab to change Ventrilo channels are better which is nice.

Since I got my new rig I've never crashed or had hitching. Alt-Tabbing is near instant now as well.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #83 on: October 20, 2008, 02:07:46 PM

That's the one I get. Usually somewhere about hour 2.5 - 3 of concurrent playtime, my performance will go to shit. Within about 15 minutes of that, I just drop to desktop. That's usually my queue to just log the fuck off for the night.

I'm waiting for stories like this to cease before I even attempt to resub. My system is already questionable for the game, but I can forgive a lot of the other issues in the game if it's not shitty lagfest.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #84 on: October 20, 2008, 02:17:41 PM

Again, it's only after about 3 hours that this happens to me. Which means a memory leak, one of the hardest bugs to root out in an MMOG AFAIK. I can forgive that one in favor of fixing some of the design issues that currently exist.

Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #85 on: October 21, 2008, 06:15:26 AM

The stuttering I was getting seems to have disappeared after I did the following:

1. First double click on 'My Computer'
2. Find the Warhammer Online program folder (could be in ‘C:\Program Files\Warhammer Online’ or ‘C:\Warhammer Online’)
3.Once inside open the 'User' folder
4. Right click on 'UserSettings.xml'
5. Choose 'Edit'
You will get a notepad with xml code
6. At the top you will see the following:

</Graphics>
<Performance>
<perflevel level="custom1" />
<perfcustom1 drawDistance="0.43" textureCache="0.00" effects="high" abilityEffects="all" animation="medium" shadows="medium" specular="true" lightmaps="true" grass="false" waterRef="true" waterWakes="true" />

7. Change the two red highlighted 'True' entries to read 'False' as seen above (basically make sure the two false entries seen above match those in your file)

8. Go File > Save

9. Load the game and go to 'Settings'
10. Choose 'Custom 1' as your preference in the graphics options
11. You should now see 'Specular' and 'Lightmaps' are now unticked
12. Once you have selected 'Custom 1' select 'Apply' and 'Ok'
13. Play the game and give it a second to load once you enter the game
14. Play as normal and see if you get less stuttering.

In game I have it set to high effects but I turned down shadows to "balanced". So far so good. I haven't gotten into RvR with the new settings yet, but PvE is fine now where it used to stutter.

Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #86 on: October 21, 2008, 12:15:47 PM

Again, it's only after about 3 hours that this happens to me. Which means a memory leak, one of the hardest bugs to root out in an MMOG AFAIK.

Doesn't a copy of Purify cost around a grand? Not exactly cheap for a sole developer, but well within Mythic's tool budget, I would think.

Trippy
Administrator

Reply #87 on: October 21, 2008, 12:25:19 PM

Again, it's only after about 3 hours that this happens to me. Which means a memory leak, one of the hardest bugs to root out in an MMOG AFAIK.
Doesn't a copy of Purify cost around a grand? Not exactly cheap for a sole developer, but well within Mythic's tool budget, I would think.
Made more complicated by the fact that the graphics engine is not theirs. They are using Gamebryo (NetImmerse) again.
Righ
Terracotta Army

Reply #88 on: October 21, 2008, 12:51:00 PM

It would probably only cost a few dollars more than a copy of Purify to buy the company that makes Gamebryo.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Blizzard: Warhammer players already returning to Warcraft  
Jump to: