Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread?  (Read 114929 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #280 on: October 02, 2008, 01:09:35 PM

So, say somebody prefers to roll ridiculously overpowered AoE classes that make levelling a cakewalk, what would they chose?

Bright wizard or sorceress would be my guess, not having played ether, but having been in the AOE.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #281 on: October 02, 2008, 02:06:57 PM

Umm BW's suck for aoe grinding, especially in a solo way.  Not only are you taking damage from the mobs you are most likely killing yourself as well due to combustion.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #282 on: October 02, 2008, 02:09:28 PM

Yeah a BW can't really do it without a healer. If you want to solo AOE mobs down, you actually probably want a swordmaster or maybe a white lion with the new pounce.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Kirth
Terracotta Army

Reply #283 on: October 02, 2008, 02:51:24 PM

So, say somebody prefers to roll ridiculously overpowered AoE classes that make levelling a cakewalk, what would they chose?

Swordmaster.

seriously.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #284 on: October 02, 2008, 06:35:44 PM

On the original topic:

Whoomp, there it is.

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #285 on: October 02, 2008, 06:42:49 PM

Sword Masters = Protection Paladins?

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
murdoc
Terracotta Army

Reply #286 on: October 02, 2008, 06:56:26 PM

On the original topic:

Whoomp, there it is.

If I'm not mistaken, that WHOLE thread should be green text.

Have you tried the internet? It's made out of millions of people missing the point of everything and then getting angry about it
Phildo
Contributor

Reply #287 on: October 02, 2008, 07:58:45 PM

Is anyone else annoyed by the respawn rate of regular enemies in areas where you're trying to run missions?  I kill four guys and the first one is already respawning while I'm trying to interact with something.
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #288 on: October 02, 2008, 08:31:18 PM

Swordmaster.

seriously.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

With the right mix of gear and high spec into Hoeth tree, you can basically AoE PQ mobs 6-8 of them at a time with no fear. Here's the build I used at lvl 22
http://www.wardb.com/career.aspx?id=17#0:0:0:0:5:40:25:::9045:818

Put Century of Training tactic on since every AoE hits has a chance to trigger it, it really adds up. Sword and board is the only way to do this btw, it's great for PQ grinding but terrible at solo. So if you want to solo stuff, consider getting a decent 2 hander and ditch the shield.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #289 on: October 02, 2008, 08:51:31 PM

You should play and find out!  awesome, for real

God Save the Horn Players
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #290 on: October 02, 2008, 09:02:12 PM

I never played a protection pally but let's see how Vaul tree - Protection tree unfolds.
We have phantom blade. A blade with 25% chance to shield you for an amount of dmg for 10 sec.
It also has blocking & parry tactic. If I am not wrong those two, if successful, means ZERO damage taken.
Redirected force, an early tier mastery unlock is actually the hardest hitting basic attack available to the swordmaster. It only requires a successful block to be available, making usage in PVE very often but quite frustrating in PVP. Unless you can get someone to hit you. Did I mention all tanks can taunt PVP targets and cause 30% more damage until they hit you back three times?
Crushing advance is more block with medium damage. Considering there's a tactic to boost blocks potentially up to 5-10%, 5% block is huge.

Past that is the 'gold tactic' in the tree, Vaul's Buffer. For every block/parry, you gain more damage shield. You can be in a situation where you have both phantom blade & vaul buffer shield protecting you, effectively absorbing the enemy's next 3-4 attacks easily. After that, there's not much to grab. You won't deal a lot of damage in RvR but you are probably the most annoying target to kill and can actively disrupt their attacks with AoE knockbacks , AoE Root, and AoE Debuffs. Very very disruptive.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #291 on: October 02, 2008, 09:14:33 PM

You should play and find out!  awesome, for real

I'm on to your tricks!

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #292 on: October 02, 2008, 11:19:01 PM

I cancelled my sub today. The game wouldn't run without enormous amounts of skipping, lag, and general wtf CTDs that I couldn't put up with it anymore. I love the shit out of the pvp when it's working, but the game simply won't run. That's all there is to it for me. WoW runs with zero issues, this game runs like a slideshow in when i'm in a forest by myself. Does my computer suck? It's 4 years old, so maybe, but I'm not willing to make a few hundred $$$'s worth of upgrade over a game I don't think is running correctly on any spec.

Dammit Mythic, I really want to love this thing. I really do. Fuck you.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #293 on: October 02, 2008, 11:21:11 PM

The Monkey dances with rage instead of joy :(

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #294 on: October 03, 2008, 06:18:35 AM

I cancelled my sub today. The game wouldn't run without enormous amounts of skipping, lag, and general wtf CTDs that I couldn't put up with it anymore. I love the shit out of the pvp when it's working, but the game simply won't run. That's all there is to it for me. WoW runs with zero issues, this game runs like a slideshow in when i'm in a forest by myself. Does my computer suck? It's 4 years old, so maybe, but I'm not willing to make a few hundred $$$'s worth of upgrade over a game I don't think is running correctly on any spec.

Just curious, but what are your specs? I got my 2GB ram upgrade yesterday, and coupled with the patch, seem to have a lot more luck with running WAR. I still saw an occasional crash to login and I think one crash to desktop. Much better performance. I was about to give up as well.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
schild
Administrator

Reply #295 on: October 03, 2008, 06:24:44 AM

Comparing a new game to a 4 year old game is stupid. I assume you haven't upgraded your PC since WoW came out either, eh?

Also, since the patch I've had nearly zero stuttering, almost no lag (it's FAR better) and not a single CTD. Not even in Altdorf.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #296 on: October 03, 2008, 09:16:14 AM

Comparing a new game to a 4 year old game is stupid. I assume you haven't upgraded your PC since WoW came out either, eh?

Also, since the patch I've had nearly zero stuttering, almost no lag (it's FAR better) and not a single CTD. Not even in Altdorf.

Yep it is, but I'm not going to upgrade over this. They look almost no different. I don't get it. Do I eventually need a new kickass OMG vid card and more RAM, yeah. Would it solve this problem? Yeah. It would also set me back at least $500 that I don't have.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #297 on: October 03, 2008, 09:24:20 AM

Yep it is, but I'm not going to upgrade over this. They look almost no different. I don't get it. Do I eventually need a new kickass OMG vid card and more RAM, yeah. Would it solve this problem? Yeah. It would also set me back at least $500 that I don't have.

So... you're complaining about your financial situation?

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #298 on: October 03, 2008, 09:30:09 AM

So... you're complaining about your financial situation?

Not really, it's moreso that WoW runs well, and this game doesn't on the same rig. Night and day. If the game looked night and day I could accept this, wait a few months, upgrade the computer and just let it go. It doesn't though. I'm running WAR on the absolutely lowest possible specs in the options, and at times I was CTDing immediately after login only to sit in another queue.

It's a combination of the lot of things, but until I hear that there's NO stuttering from people (barring 100 man keep taking sessions), I'm not going to put up with it. The queues also are driving me nuts, and the xp grinding thing was kicking in hard at level 23. That section was pretty boring.

EDIT: Oh and Destruction is quickly becoming the new Alliance in terms of scenarion PvP.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #299 on: October 03, 2008, 09:41:38 AM

Ok, that I can agree with.  The game doesn't run nearly as smoothly as WoW given pretty similar graphic comparisons.  The engine does need soem serious optimization, especially if large scale rvr is to be successful. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Xenomorph
Terracotta Army

Reply #300 on: October 03, 2008, 09:50:18 AM

For what it's worth, my crappy old box (AMD64 X2 4600+, 3GB RAM, 9600GT) ran the game shittily enough--stutters in PvE, slideshow in heavy PvP, memory leak CTD every 4-5 hours of gametime--that I thought it was a good excuse to upgrade. Runs fine on my new won't-spend-more-than-$1000 machine (Q6600, 4GB RAM, HD4850), barring the random CTD (none since the patch).

Destruction isn't always the goat, by the way. On Skull Throne, Order sucks, maybe because (even at T3) the healer/tank-heavy Destruction teams crush the more dps-heavy Order. My main is a WH, and while I usually pump out top damage numbers (unless there's a skilled BW in the group), they're not so much higher than non-dps classes to validate my existence.
Seanzor
Terracotta Army

Reply #301 on: October 03, 2008, 10:40:28 AM

...They look almost no different...

I'm definitely a gameplay > graphics type of guy, but this really stuck out to me.  Frankly, WAR looks no better than WoW.  If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer WoW's graphics for at least being interesting.  But WAR's are both uninteresting and unimpressive from a technical standpoint.  So why does this game perform worse (a lot worse) than Age of Conan, both games on maximum settings? 

I chalk it up to being one more fault of using a piece-of-crap fossil of a graphics engine.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #302 on: October 03, 2008, 12:25:51 PM

I logged in for just a second yesterday.  I did a clean install of the game from the beta client to the discs.  Logged in and the ground textures were flickering.  Awesome.  However it went away when I went to window mode.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #303 on: October 03, 2008, 12:27:05 PM

I guess its just me but the only thing that screws me up is the alt-tab thing.  I'd play in windowed mode but I get better performance in fullscreen.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #304 on: October 04, 2008, 07:30:10 PM

That's weird I get better performance in windows instead of full screen.

I do have stuttering issues, occassionally lag but CTD are quite rare.
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #305 on: October 04, 2008, 08:13:40 PM

I'm definitely a gameplay > graphics type of guy, but this really stuck out to me.  Frankly, WAR looks no better than WoW.  If I had to choose, I'd say I prefer WoW's graphics for at least being interesting.  But WAR's are both uninteresting and unimpressive from a technical standpoint.  So why does this game perform worse (a lot worse) than Age of Conan, both games on maximum settings? 

I chalk it up to being one more fault of using a piece-of-crap fossil of a graphics engine.

This is what i wanted to say.  Age of Conan on max settings ran better than this does on medium to low settings.  When i fly to altdorf i lag and stutter non stop, i had ZERO problems running AoC or any other game i've played recently.  And the graphics on this are really only a slight step above wow.

I am the .00000001428%
schild
Administrator

Reply #306 on: October 04, 2008, 09:42:33 PM

Age of Conan on max settings ran better than this does on medium to low settings.

wat

No.
Phred
Terracotta Army

Reply #307 on: October 04, 2008, 09:43:27 PM

I dont think the gamebryo engine really qualifies for either of these titles. I am pretty sure it's been rewritten and upgraded a few times since the DaoC/Morrowind versions that they started off with. After all, they sell this thing and who's gonna pay for minor updates to an aged engine? I just don't necessarily think it's being used effectively in WAR. The engine has some very state of the art features in it that probably aren't being  used much if at all in WAR. I think their decision to go with a lower poly stylized look for WAR was a good plan but not necessarily the best match up with the engine.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #308 on: October 04, 2008, 09:45:28 PM

The textures in the game now fluxuate and stutter when I'm in fullscreen.  My game only works in windowed mode for some reason.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #309 on: October 04, 2008, 11:20:17 PM

Age of Conan on max settings ran better than this does on medium to low settings.
wat

No.
It still runs pretty well maxxed out for me, 'cause I have a nice system, but AoC does run better.  Considering they can't get a simple thing such as /ignore to work, I'm guessing there is plenty of room for optimization.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #310 on: October 05, 2008, 08:23:57 AM

wat

No.

Yes.  I set most of the graphic stuff to "balanced" with some all the way down to the "max fps" setting and i still experience lots of stuttering, specially in altdorf.  AoC was on max settings with zero problems whatsoever.

I am the .00000001428%
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #311 on: October 05, 2008, 08:53:08 AM

I had two Keeps not load at all yesterday.  I could literally walk through the non-existant walls and tag mobs because to me they were all standing on a barren plot of land.  Someone else in the group had it happen to them, too.

trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #312 on: October 05, 2008, 08:57:35 AM

Same thing happened to me.  Yet another totally inexplicable weird ass bug in this game.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #313 on: October 05, 2008, 09:26:34 AM

I had two Keeps not load at all yesterday.  I could literally walk through the non-existant walls and tag mobs because to me they were all standing on a barren plot of land.  Someone else in the group had it happen to them, too.

could other people see you walking through the walls? (in other words, did the server let you walk through the walls?)

If yes, it sounds like all collision detection is client side.  Should make for some nice hax

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #314 on: October 05, 2008, 11:35:33 AM

could other people see you walking through the walls? (in other words, did the server let you walk through the walls?)

If yes, it sounds like all collision detection is client side.  Should make for some nice hax
I'm not sure if they could or not, however they were focused on other things, and I didn't want to stop them to do experimenting.  I didn't test it much myself as I didn't want to be exploiting and I wasn't interested in causing a wipe by pulling everything around the Lord to us.

There may be a few server-side sanity checks, however at least some of it is client-side.  Waaaay, too much.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Where's the "This Game Sucks" thread?  
Jump to: