Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755866 times)
Goreschach
Terracotta Army

Reply #560 on: November 08, 2012, 06:20:41 PM

Ahh, I can go on and on, but let me be the first (on these forums) to say that I've seen and heard enough to predict this game is going to be great.  You can all mark this post for posterity.

why so serious?
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #561 on: November 08, 2012, 08:15:41 PM

"Once you hit level 50, that's when the game really opens up."

Facepalm

It looks nifty.  I wish I could just set it to be balanced solo and play it all alone. 
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #562 on: November 08, 2012, 08:25:48 PM

"Once you hit level 50, that's when the game really opens up."

Facepalm

It looks nifty.  I wish I could just set it to be balanced solo and play it all alone. 

At least their idea of end game is different from SWTOR - roll alts til you go crazy.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #563 on: November 09, 2012, 12:28:44 AM

Eh, I dunno.  I think if you really didn't see something in that video that makes you at least a bit excited, you need to ask yourself if you even like MMOs or ES anymore. 

Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously. Stop. You HAVE to know better than post that crap.

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #564 on: November 09, 2012, 06:43:53 AM

He's been pimping the game since the beginning. I doubt he would post anything else.

The game is going to hinge on the combat. They can literally take all the graphic videos, the feature videos, and stuff them all up their asses over at Zenimax. Show me combat. Show much buckets of combat. Show me the exact HUD and GUI options I'll have, including my spellcasting, targetting, AI, and dealing with lag.

Literally nothing else will sell this game unless the combat is different and featured. If it's not, I'll ignore it until well after release, and I'll watch the inevitable youtube videos. And you don't want that Zenimax. You don't want that.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #565 on: November 09, 2012, 07:00:06 AM

You can all mark this post for posterity.

Post marked.

Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #566 on: November 09, 2012, 07:13:55 AM

Ahh, I can go on and on, but let me be the first (on these forums) to say that I've seen and heard enough to predict this game is going to be great.  You can all mark this post for posterity.
One of my relatives is pretty much gay for The Elder Scrolls series; we're talking hundreds of hours into all of them Arena/Daggerfall included. Unabashed, complete fanboy.

He's extremely pessimistic about this game. Granted most of his complaints are lore related, but he said he'll be pissed if this feels like anything but a TES game and it's not looking great so far.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #567 on: November 09, 2012, 07:16:42 AM

It's a lot better looking than that teaser or whatever it was called they released earlier.  It's pretty enough I'll have to buy it just to explore and look around but I'm sure the systems will be terrible and I'll unsubscribe as soon as I'm max level.  Also, bugs.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #568 on: November 09, 2012, 07:29:15 AM

Eh, I dunno.  I think if you really didn't see something in that video that makes you at least a bit excited, you need to ask yourself if you even like MMOs or ES anymore. 

Ohhhhh, I see.

Seriously. Stop. You HAVE to know better than post that crap.

Well, he is right in my case. I Can no longer stand MMO combat, nor, as an effect, MMO questing. I have been burned out for quite a while, and my post, and disappointment show this.

A True Elder Scrolls Online would be my saviour. This is not it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #569 on: November 09, 2012, 07:52:34 AM

I thought it looked awesome.  I'm excited for many things:

1. Character advancement and diversification via many pathways: a. leveling where assign points to magicka, stamina or health b. level skills gained through weapon choice, class, armor choice, stat assignment c. perks (lycanthropy and vampirism confirmed!), and, d. rvr renown.

2. Beautiful graphics and smooth animations - did you see them jumping into the lake?  The world graphics look just as good or better than ES titles.  Pre-alpha, without all the options on, I'm sure.  LOL - if you say this game looks like crap, you either need to download a higher res version of the video, or you just cannot be pleased.  For a game that allows hundreds of characters on screen, they looked pretty damn good.

3. RVR done right - 3 factions, destructible environments, capturable points of interest like keeps, towers, trade stations, villages.

4. RVR zone that IS an adventure zone complete with pve quests, dungeons, and towns.  I can't fucking wait to hunt some damn elves (of course I'm playing an orc!) down while they try to farm x mob for x quest.

5. No overt quest hubs!  The UI with the POI compass look awesome.

6. Megaserver - need I say more?  I think 50% of WAR's crash and burn was due to too many servers during the opening rush.  Ghosttowns are no fun.  The tech for the megaserver sounds great; they'll be able to flag zones with variable player caps so that deserted castles seem deserted and towns seem bustling.  You'll meet people with your preferences and you'll always be with your friends.

7. Looser trinity, but still there - if you are a fighter and you spend some time learning to use that heal staff, you can fill in for a healer in a pinch for adventuring or pvp.  No, you can never be as good as a real healer, but it will be damn nice to not have annoying ass LFM up for 2 hours while you try to build the perfect group.

8. Clean engine with a clean server code from the ground up built for this game.  Goodbye SWTOR and DDO with your janky ass kludged on code.

Cheer up, Bloodworth - you seem so very disgruntled.

Holy shit dude.

You are just giving them a HUGE HUGE HUGE benefit of the doubt.  Clean engine? PVP done right? 100s of toons on the screen at once?  I will believe all of that when the game is released, not a moment before.  Fuck dude, you really need to be objective here.

Also, based on that video, the combat animations and demo were horrific because it's gonna be 2013 when this is released, not 2008.  All I saw were dude standing still swinging at each other every 2 seconds.

Hopefully their leveling thing is cool, but it's not groundbreaking or anything.  I really can't say if it's good or bad until I see how they balance shit and set up character development with details.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #570 on: November 09, 2012, 07:54:41 AM

He's been pimping the game since the beginning. I doubt he would post anything else.

The game is going to hinge on the combat. They can literally take all the graphic videos, the feature videos, and stuff them all up their asses over at Zenimax. Show me combat. Show much buckets of combat. Show me the exact HUD and GUI options I'll have, including my spellcasting, targetting, AI, and dealing with lag.

Literally nothing else will sell this game unless the combat is different and featured. If it's not, I'll ignore it until well after release, and I'll watch the inevitable youtube videos. And you don't want that Zenimax. You don't want that.

This all day long.  I don't need scripted shitty videos showing "oh look we recreated braveheart in our game!".  Show me the game as it's being played.  I really hate it when studios turn off the UI or whatever and show 6 people running through a forest or standing around a boss mob swinging randomly for 4 seconds.  Gah.  It's fine for commercials not an introduction video.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #571 on: November 09, 2012, 08:44:15 AM

It's like the preceding 15 years of hype over substance MMO marketing didn't exist. That's like the platonic ideal of a fanboy post. Like, shit, maybe it is great, but sucking off the studio over a video (even a better video) like that is annoying.

Also, I'm over standard MMO combat. I fired up the Rift free account activation preview thingy. I lasted 10 minutes, and I like Rift. I kept trying to cast on the move like in GW2 or dodge. I was immediately given thirty abilities, which I'd forgotten what they do. I headed up to the shipwrecked queen to get things going via quest. Looked pretty cool. She said thanks... and then offered me a daily. I turned it off.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #572 on: November 09, 2012, 09:10:02 AM

This is petty, but I really dislike that Todd Howard gave an interview around Skyrim's launch that roughly said TES is a single-player world, only to announce six months later that there's been an MMO in dev for a long time.  I realize he couldn't divulge information on the title yet, but it just smacks me as shitty to lie directly to the interviewer and audience.  He could have said something akin to "We've considered it, but nothing definite".  But instead he outright lied about it. 

This might turn out to be a great game, I don't know.  But the series feels tainted now that they want to add the rest of the gaming "community" into my single player game.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #573 on: November 09, 2012, 09:44:49 AM

6. Megaserver - need I say more?  I think 50% of WAR's crash and burn was due to too many servers during the opening rush.  Ghosttowns are no fun.  The tech for the megaserver sounds great; they'll be able to flag zones with variable player caps so that deserted castles seem deserted and towns seem bustling.  You'll meet people with your preferences and you'll always be with your friends.

That wasn't even remotely what WAR's problems stemmed from, but we have a whole forum where that discussion has taken place.

You're gushing over this video is... premature.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #574 on: November 09, 2012, 10:05:04 AM

That wasn't even remotely what WAR's problems stemmed from, but we have a whole forum where that discussion has taken place.

You're gushing over this video is... premature.

I think that is the nicest thing you've ever said.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #575 on: November 09, 2012, 10:09:35 AM

I had to try really hard not to unleash the nerdrage since the kid is new and maybe doesn't understand what he's doing. Maybe one day he'll post an opinion in a thread totally unrelated to a game he has built an altar for in a hidden sub-basement.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #576 on: November 09, 2012, 10:23:02 AM

After his last post you think it's really hidden?  It's probably in his front lawn.
waffel
Terracotta Army

Reply #577 on: November 09, 2012, 11:07:06 AM

Whatever, it's refreshing to occasionally see someone popping boners over an alpha trailer of an MMO. I'm sure we all remember when we used to be that optimistic and borderline naive prior to MMO releases. I even found myself tapping into the giddy feelings in the first minute or so of the trailer. Then, slowly, I realized many aspects just didn't seem right.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #578 on: November 09, 2012, 12:50:05 PM

People really need to incorporate a Build From Nothing attitude towards MMO's — trust absofuckinglutely nothing and never 'sign in' on an MMO until you have at least seen unedited gameplay video from a release functional build. PvP especially, if that and RvR are an intended draw.

If this game turns out to be an actually good MMO i'll be so surprised i'll eat a hat for you guys. Not as big a hat as I literally signed an agreement to eat if MNS's The Last Airbender turned out to not be terrible, but i'll still eat something.
Sheepherder
Terracotta Army

Reply #579 on: November 09, 2012, 01:17:45 PM

You guys who are saying this video looks 'terrible' are in a tiny minority from what I've seen on other sites.  Bloodworth - your predictions about mobs just standing there and not doing anything like flanking or using abilities is complete opposite to all the play test reviews that are out there.  I agree the video made it seem like this, but I'm hoping it was just a limitation of the POV, and the fact that they only showed a few seconds worth of each fight.  You should read a few, or at least listen to a few (there are podcasts and youtube vids) if you can't be bothered to read them.

Or you could trust the video you just watched rather than the words of some random starfucking neckbeard on the internet.  When your promotional materials make the safety dance look like highly mobile combat you have a problem.
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #580 on: November 09, 2012, 02:08:03 PM

Make an MMO with daggerfall's randomness (or I might be just nostalgic and remember it totally wrong) where the parts of the world are re-seeded(?) every now and then and I'd be there in a flash. Otherwise I have to say pve in MMOs holds little interest to me any more as single-player games usually offer something better in that arena...
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #581 on: November 09, 2012, 05:30:20 PM

I had to try really hard not to unleash the nerdrage since the kid is new and maybe doesn't understand what he's doing. Maybe one day he'll post an opinion in a thread totally unrelated to a game he has built an altar for in a hidden sub-basement.

I contemplated making some sort of long post describing how I'm not a kid, and I've seen this and that, and blah blah blah.  I thought about it for a few minutes and decided I really don't give enough of a shit.  Nor do you guys give a shit about all that.  So, whatever.  This forum apparently isn't a good place to come and try to share some excitement about an upcoming title anymore.  No worries - there are plenty of places for that.  Something like 10? years ago I started lurking here and would see some interesting conversations, and even see a dev post now and then.  Really isn't much happening here anymore, and I dunno, was kinda hoping to get some discussion going again about a game that I think is probably going to be the last of the really big budget MMOs (maybe not if they can pull it off.)

Good luck, champs.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #582 on: November 09, 2012, 05:39:49 PM

We eat our young here why so serious?
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #583 on: November 09, 2012, 05:57:46 PM

If you like a game don't come here to talk about it.  If you want to be pessimistic or trash it, then you are in the right place.   Ohhhhh, I see.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #584 on: November 09, 2012, 06:24:35 PM

Yeah the Secret World and Torchlight and never got any love here recently  Ohhhhh, I see.

We're not beyond people liking a game. We get ancy when we see people SHILLING for a game when we have next to no actual information beyond developer promises and scripted videos.

Look, I'm all for somebody liking a game. I irrationally love Total War games. For some reason I still play WoW even though dailyfest bugs me. But this game has a very serious question mark I can't reconcile in my head to get on board. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but here's my main issue: From what we know the game has been in development for 5 years, and it's slated to release next year, but up until recently they were talking about an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT COMBAT SYSTEM.

Now, I'm not saying a switch away from what I was originally hearing as a standard tab-target bullshit combat system isn't a positive move. What concerns me is that they A - didn't know that TES players would balk at that bullshit, and B - they are changing it this late in the game. I mean, changing combat in an RPG game isn't a small task. You've overhauling the way the game operates at a baseline level. If this is supposed to release in a year, how much time have they now scrapped because their combat previously was ass?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:26:46 PM by Paelos »

Xuri
Terracotta Army

몇살이세욬ㅋ 몇살이 몇살 몇살이세욬ㅋ!!!!!1!

Reply #585 on: November 09, 2012, 06:57:12 PM

One of the reasons why I like this forum is because the extreme ends of the scale (from rabid fanboy to obsessive hater) are less likely to be tolerated than at other places. I trust the collective response from people on f13 over "actual" reviews any day of the week. Except maybe Tuesdays.

Edit: Crap. This makes me an f13 fanboy, doesn't it...
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 06:58:43 PM by Xuri »

-= Ho Eyo He Hum =-
Fabricated

~Living the Dream~

Reply #586 on: November 09, 2012, 06:59:06 PM

I contemplated making some sort of long post describing how I'm not a kid, and I've seen this and that, and blah blah blah.  I thought about it for a few minutes and decided I really don't give enough of a shit.  Nor do you guys give a shit about all that.  So, whatever.  This forum apparently isn't a good place to come and try to share some excitement about an upcoming title anymore.  No worries - there are plenty of places for that.  Something like 10? years ago I started lurking here and would see some interesting conversations, and even see a dev post now and then.  Really isn't much happening here anymore, and I dunno, was kinda hoping to get some discussion going again about a game that I think is probably going to be the last of the really big budget MMOs (maybe not if they can pull it off.)

Good luck, champs.
You have no idea how badly I want to like a TES MMO. It's a unique property that if done right would make an awesome MMO. But we're up to some ungodly number of shitty, shitty big-IP AAA mmos at this point and there have been PLENTY of us who have drank the koolaid on at least one game. You're talking to an asshole who recently resubbed to WoW.

Here's the process we've seen with this shit every time:

1. Rumors surface of a big IP AAA MMO done by some studio that has a good enough track record that people are curious.
2. As info trickles in fanboys get hardons, everyone speculates, IS THE HOLY TRINITY REALLY GONE THIS TIME? MAN I HOPE THE PVP IS LIKE DAOC!!
3. Breathless sorta-gameplay video of early beta/alpha product with devs talking over it about how they're really gonna do it right this time and how excited they are.
4. Fan news site opens.
5. Beta; game at best looks promising if they fix XYZ.
6. Game comes out, XYZ aren't fixed.
7. XYZ are never fixed, or fixed so slowly people get frustrated. Some big technical issues; servers, client, website, whatever.
8. Game does not immediately accrue WoW's numbers, publisher shitcans 3/4ths of the staff. Every big name creative head leaves.
9. Game stagnates, loses subs, everyone but dedicated fans move on.
10. F2P/Maintenance Mode.

And thus the cycle begins again.

"The world is populated in the main by people who should not exist." - George Bernard Shaw
Kail
Terracotta Army

Reply #587 on: November 09, 2012, 07:13:49 PM

If you like a game don't come here to talk about it.  If you want to be pessimistic or trash it, then you are in the right place.   Ohhhhh, I see.

There's plenty of games getting positive feedback around here, and I personally have no problem with people championing products which everybody else hates (though that doesn't mean I won't argue with them).

Where it gets stupid is when you say something like "if this trailer didn't get you excited, then there's something wrong with you."  That's when we leave the realm of discussion and move firmly into ad hominem fanboyism.  There are valid reasons for not liking anything, if you can't see that, you're not ready to have a discussion about it.  I don't mind the guy coming in and posting info about the game, I mind him acting all shocked that people are disagreeing with him.  I read boards like these for discussions, for disagreements, not to have the privilege of validating someone's opinion.

I don't hate TES:O.  I don't think it looks awesome, either.  It could go either way.  It's encouraging that they are responding to feedback, though like others have posted, I'd need some more solid feedback on the core systems before I start giving a shit about things like quest hubs and server details.
Kageru
Terracotta Army

Reply #588 on: November 09, 2012, 08:06:21 PM

Being too optimistic or pessimistic over a game still under NDA is pretty pointless, but it's fun watching for signs of which way it's going.

Is a man not entitled to the hurf of his durf?
- Simond
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #589 on: November 09, 2012, 10:16:00 PM

Being too optimistic or pessimistic over a game still under NDA is pretty pointless, but it's fun watching for signs of which way it's going.

Nah, you can get a lot of thin-slicing material out of promo materials. Eventually you just sort of get a feel for when a game's production is radiating failvibes.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #590 on: November 09, 2012, 11:10:26 PM

I contemplated making some sort of long post describing how I'm not a kid, and I've seen this and that, and blah blah blah.  I thought about it for a few minutes and decided I really don't give enough of a shit.  Nor do you guys give a shit about all that.  So, whatever.  This forum apparently isn't a good place to come and try to share some excitement about an upcoming title anymore.  No worries - there are plenty of places for that.  Something like 10? years ago I started lurking here and would see some interesting conversations, and even see a dev post now and then.  Really isn't much happening here anymore, and I dunno, was kinda hoping to get some discussion going again about a game that I think is probably going to be the last of the really big budget MMOs (maybe not if they can pull it off.)

Good luck, champs.
If you want to fanboy over a game that's released (or in an open beta that you can actually play), go ahead. You'll find people who hate it, but you'll probably find that some of us like it. However, you're acting exactly like Curt was over Reckoning: posting almost exclusively in one thread, pimping a game that's very far away based on little more than scripted video, interviews, and a love for a guy who made your favorite game way back whenever ago. It almost seems like you're working for Zenimax trying to artificially generate buzz, and on MMORPG.com or the VNboards that shit might fly.

However, here at f13 as Fabricated illustrated we've seen it all; the MMO scene has been promising gold and delivering shit for so long that most of us don't get excited over pointless fluff videos or promises of fetuspults. Give us some real, in game footage and we'll get excited. Give us a nice, long beta with no NDA and access to more than the first 20 levels and we'll give a shit. If TESO still looks good, we'll get a subforum going, <Bat Country> created and start posting character names and "What went wrong" threads. why so serious? But until then, there's no point getting our collective hopes up for Disappointing MMO Launch N.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
satael
Terracotta Army

Reply #591 on: November 10, 2012, 02:05:39 AM

However, you're acting exactly like Curt was over Reckoning: posting almost exclusively in one thread, pimping a game that's very far away based on little more than scripted video, interviews, and a love for a guy who made your favorite game way back whenever ago. It almost seems like you're working for Zenimax trying to artificially generate buzz, and on MMORPG.com or the VNboards that shit might fly.

Hey, atleast Zenimax has shown us alot more than Curt's 38 Studios ever did about their upcoming MMO  why so serious?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #592 on: November 10, 2012, 04:13:23 AM

Okay, by popular demand, I will take my optimism and F off.  I'll refrain from posting in here, until a lot more info is available, and I'll either come back to:

A: Say, "I told you so."

-or-

B: Say, "You guys were so right, can't believe I am such a sap."

Cheers, and have fun with your grumpy, negative lives, you bunch of losers.

Good luck, champs.

Ohhhhh, I see.

Take this as an advice from a fellow "optimist" (which I am not, but eh..)

I'm the one around here usually liking games "too much" and being made fun of because of that. f13 is not gonna change and neither am I. We jab at each other all the time and I try (sometimes failing) not to turn my excitement into blatant advertising cause that's when it gets ridiculous. Not a big deal unless you stretch it too far and shill for a game that we haven't seen shit of 1 year before it's released. Your blind endorsement is juvenile, no matter how old you are, and since I am probably the only other one here who occasionally suffers of such a thing I understand you, I know where it's coming from, but I still suggest you to try and tone it down because eventually if you look and sound ridiculous maybe it's time to get perspective, instead of telling everyone else that they clearly don't understand.

So stop being a baby. If you want to desperately and loudly hope for some sort of double-Christmas keep doing so, but take the deserved flak and stop acting like everyone is mean to the new kid. It's nothing like that.

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #593 on: November 10, 2012, 05:24:47 AM

Falconeer,

You make a very good point.  A few months go by, some new vids and preview articles get released, and I think I can come here and talk about actual features with people.  Instead, when I list features I think sound good, I get shit on.  When people talk about the game radiating "failvibes" they get high fived.

I think it would be prudent for me a step back for a few months again, and we'll see how things are going.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #594 on: November 10, 2012, 06:26:22 AM

I'll put it this way. I'm interested in where they are headed. The idea of combat that isn't a tab-target ripoff is a good idea.

But I want to see it. And until I see it, lists of features do nothing for me.

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: