Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:00:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755815 times)
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #385 on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:04 AM

The game is slated for 2013.  Seems a bit far off.  Who knows though, could be part of a decent marketing campaign regardless of the game's perception.
Abelian75
Terracotta Army

Reply #386 on: June 01, 2012, 12:22:08 PM

That elf chick is funny.  Elves in TES are ugly as hell, imho, and it's like they tried to make a more "normal" elf chick, but left a liiiiitle hint of the ol' ugly.  For, uh, brand recognition.  Or something.
Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #387 on: June 01, 2012, 01:49:42 PM

Fucking elves.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #388 on: June 01, 2012, 02:14:31 PM

Fucking elves.
But enough about Goldshire.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
ashrik
Terracotta Army

Reply #389 on: June 01, 2012, 02:34:33 PM

Seems like Zenimax or Anet stole ideas from each other.
They're similar with all that weapon swapping and skill set business. Much like WoW clones, I'm just wondering "if we have A already (and A does it well enough), and B doesn't add much, what's the point of B?" What I'm seeing here are... a few less weapon-dependent skills, more uses of your stamina bar, and a replacement of "no trinity" with "all pve content is solo-able".
So which banned poster under a new name are you?

I'm brand new, but have been reading for awhile.  Just thought it was terrible to see all the whining and pessimism about a potentially awesome game.
You joined to defend a videogame against mean words? Do you have some connection to it or do you just overly empathize with commercial products (you seem like a tool either way)?
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 02:37:24 PM by ashrik »
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #390 on: June 01, 2012, 03:10:59 PM

Jesus Christ: http://imgur.com/a/CjsrU Yes please, lets paint an apartment building with a TESO advertisement... by hand.

Christ.....MOAR MONEY DOWN THE DRAIN, YEAAAAAAH like that baby.

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #391 on: June 01, 2012, 03:15:16 PM

what a waste of money
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #392 on: June 01, 2012, 03:17:35 PM

WTF? Why would you do that, number 1? Number 2, did I miss a memo that this is releasing next month or something? Because if it's not, that's WAY TOO EARLY to be MarketJizzing all over the side of a building.

I haven't followed it closely, is there some government funding going into development? This reminds me of something 38 Studios would have done, where they were forced to hire too quickly in order to meet government targets (because the government wants you to be a jerb creator) as a condition of their loans, which in turn means a fully staffed marketing department before you actually need one, which in turn leads to shit like this.

Pretty sure they don't have any public money to burn through.  According to their FAQ (http://www.zenimaxonline.com/faq.html) they've had a pretty huge budget from day one.  Personally, I think this big E3 display is a signal that to them 2013 might mean something like spring 2013, not Christmas.  If you think about it, they opened a customer support center in Ireland over a year ago (http://www.zenimaxonline.com/news_ireland_facility.html) - I think they are closer to actually firing this thing up than they are letting on.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #393 on: June 02, 2012, 01:40:46 PM

Jesus Christ: http://imgur.com/a/CjsrU Yes please, lets paint an apartment building with a TESO advertisement... by hand.

I bet that group of artists are just fine with it.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #394 on: June 03, 2012, 02:51:35 AM

I love that out of all the mediocre-to-terrible franchise cash-in MMOs over the years, it's this one that's made the groupthink go "The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!". SWTOR being a five-years-out-of-date WoW clone with a ridiculous budget? Fine. AoC being a glorified twenty level demo with "this space to let" filling in for the rest of the game? Still had its defenders. WAR being a complete trainwreck? It's all good. All the other tie-ins going free to play within a year or two? They'll make more money that way.

But someone tries to turn TES into an MMO and it's suddenly Mob time. It's funny.  smiley

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Margalis
Terracotta Army

Reply #395 on: June 03, 2012, 03:37:51 AM

It's not "groupthink." It's the fact that it appears to everyone to be a terrible idea for a number of extremely obvious reasons, not the least of which is that it's an Elder Scrolls branded game that has nothing to do with what makes Elder Scrolls good.

A Star Wars MMO at least ostensibly has something that appeals to Star Wars fans. The fact that this sounds terrible is not the problem, I'm not even sure if it sounds terrible. The problem is the same problem as "Quake 4 - Now a Facebook farming sim!"

vampirehipi23: I would enjoy a book written by a monkey and turned into a movie rather than this.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #396 on: June 03, 2012, 05:20:47 AM

I love that out of all the mediocre-to-terrible franchise cash-in MMOs over the years, it's this one that's made the groupthink go "The line must be drawn here! This far and no further!". SWTOR being a five-years-out-of-date WoW clone with a ridiculous budget? Fine. AoC being a glorified twenty level demo with "this space to let" filling in for the rest of the game? Still had its defenders. WAR being a complete trainwreck? It's all good. All the other tie-ins going free to play within a year or two? They'll make more money that way.

But someone tries to turn TES into an MMO and it's suddenly Mob time. It's funny.  smiley
For me at least, SWTOR was just KOTOR 3 that happened to have a monthly fee. The game was good enough for me in that regard; I never had any intention of actually playing it like an MMO.

On the other hand, there was a lot of rage around here over WAR once it went live so I'm not sure what your point is.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #397 on: June 03, 2012, 05:46:37 AM

"After it went live" would be more accurate, iirc. I seem to remember that for the first month or two for WAR the standard line was variations on a theme of "It's a more PvP-heavy WoW and it's good if you want that". I've not seen a pre-emptive backlash like this for a new MMO since, what, Vanguard?

Malakili
Terracotta Army

Reply #398 on: June 03, 2012, 08:21:01 AM

"After it went live" would be more accurate, iirc. I seem to remember that for the first month or two for WAR the standard line was variations on a theme of "It's a more PvP-heavy WoW and it's good if you want that". I've not seen a pre-emptive backlash like this for a new MMO since, what, Vanguard?

It is the Elder Scrolls name.  If this was named literally ANYTHING else, the thread would have 25 replies and would've dropped off the front page.  This thread is a testament to the fact that a bunch of people around here feel pretty strongly about TES setting/IP.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #399 on: June 03, 2012, 11:50:41 AM

You would see a similar reaction if they made a Halo MMO with toolbar combat.

Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #400 on: June 03, 2012, 09:42:02 PM

You would see a similar reaction if they made a Halo MMO with toolbar combat.

That's exactly what Microsoft had been making years ago. Fortunately they had the sense to cancel it where Bethesda (as the publisher) doesn't.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #401 on: June 04, 2012, 10:33:26 AM

All of the games you named (well, the first two) were flawed more in execution than concept. This game, by contrast, is falling down from the very basic foundational designs they've laid out.

Also where are these WAR fanboys I missed? I thought that game was positively eviscerated here.
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #402 on: June 04, 2012, 12:07:35 PM

Actually we all (most of us anyway) rather liked it until we hit level 12. After that, yes, positively eviscerated is exactly true.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #403 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:09 PM

God, I loved WAR from 1-11.  I mean hard to remember any negatives at that point.  Good newbie zones, fun PQ's, appealing quests and of course the first PVP map.  But ho boy when you out-level Nordenwatch the fun made a nosedive.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #404 on: June 04, 2012, 02:41:49 PM

WAR people got upset when they got out of Tier 1 and poor design decisions for the later game materialized.  Same with AoC.  The early game was good for both.

There's nothing wrong with pointing out the good bits in an otherwise shit game.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #405 on: June 04, 2012, 03:31:00 PM

God, I loved WAR from 1-11.  I mean hard to remember any negatives at that point. 

Combat was terribly bland for me. From level 1 to x, that didn't change. I really, really hated WAR. Not that it matters, but that was the one big negative for me. Incredibly boring, slowish, unresponsive, unsatisfying combat.

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #406 on: June 04, 2012, 04:18:32 PM

Funny, because it's the only PvP game I've ever enjoyed.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #407 on: June 04, 2012, 04:24:42 PM

Well you have to remember that Falconeer actually exists in a parallel universe that only overlaps with ours in a few places. For example, in the Blood Bowl forum he is able to manifest fully and is thus vunlerable to normal weapons.

Zetor
Terracotta Army

Reply #408 on: June 05, 2012, 12:28:46 AM

Eh, I agree that WAR had plenty of responsiveness issues... it certainly felt more sluggish than WOW, even though I played on a west coast US WOW server at the time, and I do recall instances where enemy positions did not sync with where they were on the screen (WOW did/does this a lot better). It also had the (diku-standard) overpowered/underpowered classes thing; I should know, I played both an ironbreaker and an engineer. Oh yeah, and the stabbiness of Tor Anroc (and I say this as a class with at least 2-3 ways of punting people into lava) / Mourkain Temple (aka whoever has the best ping/speed gets the first pickup and wins 90% of the time).

That said, it was a competent implementation of diku pvp. The rest of the game though... well...
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 12:33:33 AM by Zetor »

Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #409 on: June 05, 2012, 04:44:20 AM

Being a Swordmaster helped combat the sluggishness since they already were.  (Later they did improve the responsiveness, but enh, WAR.)  Morkain was 90% Chaos getting the ball first due to placement.  That was the map I hated most, even if some of my most impressive moments came from it.
Well you have to remember that Falconeer actually exists in a parallel universe that only overlaps with ours in a few places. For example, in the Blood Bowl forum he is able to manifest fully and is thus vunlerable to normal weapons.
Hah!  I laughed hard.

Sjofn
Terracotta Army

Truckasaurus Hands

Reply #410 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:52 AM

Love Letters

God Save the Horn Players
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #411 on: June 05, 2012, 08:02:54 AM

I'm weak to rainbows, but immune to PvE.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #412 on: June 05, 2012, 10:01:31 AM

I actually thought WAR was good 1-21; Tier 2 was cool because you started to see keep sieges and more world PVP and the BGs weren't utter shit. It wasn't until Tier 3 that a) the BGs went to hell (Tor Anroc), b) the leveling curve became REALLY steep and c) there wasn't actually enough level-appropriate PVE content so you had to grind either PQs or BGs in order to advance.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Daeven
Terracotta Army

Reply #413 on: June 05, 2012, 11:43:12 AM

Huh. I seem to recall AoC and WAR being met with multiple JDAM airstrikes and general eye rolling, especially once the hype train met reality. And exploded.

*shrug*

"There is a technical term for someone who confuses the opinions of a character in a book with those of the author. That term is idiot." -SMStirling

It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #414 on: June 05, 2012, 01:07:40 PM

I actually thought WAR was good 1-21; Tier 2 was cool because you started to see keep sieges and more world PVP and the BGs weren't utter shit. It wasn't until Tier 3 that a) the BGs went to hell (Tor Anroc), b) the leveling curve became REALLY steep and c) there wasn't actually enough level-appropriate PVE content so you had to grind either PQs or BGs in order to advance.

Tier 3 had some really good battlegrounds. Unfortunately, no one queued for them because they required thought and strategy and weren't just spam knockbacks for free XP LCD design fuckvilles. I swear, I still want to skullfuck the guy that came up with Tor Anroc.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #415 on: June 05, 2012, 01:09:45 PM

I'm still waiting for a BG that is just a free for all death match with 10 people in it.  Why do we have to do team oriented shit all the time?
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #416 on: June 05, 2012, 01:15:39 PM

It's also four years later. For me, this is maybe an acceptable lead up to a game in 2008. But it's not in 2012. It's just fucking not. I played Rift for a month just now. It was great. A great game. A better WoW than WoW. And I unsubbed because I can't do that game anymore. I can't. And TESO is shaping up to be that game again. Why would I get excited about this? It's fucking 2012 and we're all still scrambling (besides GW2) to emulate a game that came out in 2004. Something is desperately wrong here.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 02:34:35 PM by Modern Angel »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #417 on: June 05, 2012, 01:57:16 PM

The entire video gaming industry has become far too risk-averse. That's why a guy in his basement was able to develop a multi-million revenue game about mining blocks. I blame this on 3 elements:

1 - Publishers are still struggling with online distribution methods and fear the medium. They blame piracy for products failing, so they put in preventative measures that only screw over actual customers.
3 - Investors are obsessed with the "Gold Rush" mentality. One game strikes it rich doing something, therefore all games like that will be huge successes.
3 - Sizzle has become more important than steak. Blame graphics, PR bullshit, and god-complexes amongst developers. Even the AAA companies can't make money on their AAA titles because they can't manage overhead at all. Also, Developers are man-children who will blow through available cash at a horrifying rate because they can't reconcile vision with reality.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #418 on: June 05, 2012, 03:14:58 PM

You make it sound like it was really easy for Notch to do what he did. It isn't, and it isn't easy for anyone to make a good game, any more than people can just accidentally make good movies or write good novels.

palmer_eldritch
Terracotta Army

Reply #419 on: June 05, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

Bethesda have apparently released a teaser trailer for E3. It doesn't tell us anything about the game but it suggests their marketing is pretty bad as it's a terrible trailer. Tells you nothing about the game, no interesting visuals, no hint of an interesting storyline or setting. I did not feel at all teased.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGK57vfI97w

I mean, it might be a good game when it is finally released next year but they'd be better off holding back on the hype until they've got something interesting to show people even if it's just an enticing rendered sequence.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 04:40:16 PM by palmer_eldritch »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: