Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:40:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 106 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  (Read 755809 times)
tgr
Terracotta Army

Just another victim of cyber age discrimination.

Reply #315 on: May 22, 2012, 05:24:28 AM

Because they don't own the rights to DAOC?
Well, what I meant was why don't they just license the name, but I've no idea how much that'd cost. And there's also this to contend with:

Because people are a lot more interested in a TES game and DAoC is an almost-forgotten title almost everywhere but here?  why so serious?

However, I can't help but think that going for TES for the game they're outlining is a huge mistake which will backfire and probably be more costly over the long run than it would be to either not do this, or use another IP they license or think up themselves.

Cyno's lit, bridge is up, but one pilot won't be jumping home.
Scold
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:11 AM

I really don't see why they can't just call it DAoC2

Because people are a lot more interested in a TES game and DAoC is an almost-forgotten title almost everywhere but here?  why so serious?

Seriously, the amount of people who have intense, fond memories of DAoC and would rabidly await a sequel can fit in a small car park.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #317 on: May 22, 2012, 12:40:38 PM

I really don't see why they can't just call it DAoC2

Seriously, the amount of people who have intense, fond memories of DAoC and would rabidly await a sequel can fit in a small car park.

FIFY.

Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #318 on: May 22, 2012, 02:02:33 PM

Because they don't own the rights to DAOC?
Well, what I meant was why don't they just license the name, but I've no idea how much that'd cost.

It's owned by EA, a rival MMO maker. It would cost everything.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Lucas
Terracotta Army

Further proof that Italians have suspect taste in games.

Reply #319 on: May 22, 2012, 03:16:06 PM

" He's so impatient, it's like watching a teenager fuck a glorious older woman." - Ironwood on J.J. Abrams
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #320 on: May 22, 2012, 08:38:14 PM

FIFY.
awesome, for real

DAoC has about as much reach as UO. Neither brand means jack beyond a core so dedicated they'll need to be physically unplugged from the world once they fall below the "keep the lights on" budget range.

Timing is part of brand building. But iterating on that brand in a consistent way to establish its tenets and "no go" areas is even more important. Both DAoC and UO haven't had much done with their brands. But honestly, I can almost accept that more than label slapping.

Like this title seems to be doing.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:39:52 PM by Darniaq »
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #321 on: May 23, 2012, 03:13:49 PM

A new interview at Game Informer about quest system and stuff.  People interested in whether this game has any "TESness" might find it interesting:

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/23/exploring-quests-in-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx
Dark_MadMax
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: May 24, 2012, 06:47:19 AM

All in all I am not holding any hopes, if it turns out a great game -then I ll play, if its another SWTOR-like 2monther I maybe will play too. for 2 month.   GW2 and Archeage is what I plan for MMO as MMO  for me is PvP and I dont  really care about the world, quests or epic mob raids
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #323 on: May 25, 2012, 06:10:00 AM

More details about how skill progression works.  Seems like they are actually more like TES than initially thought.

(also couple mroe screens)

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/05/25/how-combat-works-in-the-elder-scrolls-online/
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #324 on: May 25, 2012, 06:27:29 AM

6 skills and deck building.

So it's The Elder Scrolls in Guild Wars/Secret World sauce?

Paelos
Contributor

Error 404: Title not found.

Reply #325 on: May 25, 2012, 08:08:09 AM

Excellent! I love new pieces on the combat. Let's dig in.

"Gameplay designer Nick Konkle talked me through how they’ve tried to apply the principles of the Elder Scrolls games into an MMORPG. Your skill bar in The Elder Scrolls Online has six slots..."

Ah yes, exactly like Skyrim. How fondly I remember my six slot skillbar. Good times!

“So I might just pick Summon Frost Atronach. And a Frost Atronach’s going to fall out of the sky and smash anyone he lands on, and then hang around and start beating on people. Yeah, that totally supports by rangery bow metaphor from earlier. That’s the character I wanted to play."

PvP designer Brian Wheeler interjects. “People also scream ‘Oh my god that is awesome’ when a Frost Atronach comes down.”

Nick: “That actually does happen."

It so totally happens you guys. I mean, like, for realz people screaming and shit! I know you've never summoned shit before in an MMOG. I have wood as we speak.

“The key is that those abilities, like the weapon, I can start with and use effectively initially, but in order to master I must play with over a long period of time. Which is very much like the Elder Scrolls games, and is our own way of interpreting that."

So what we've done here is taken WoW's weapon skillup system, except we've deleted the fumbling, bumbling penalties.

CPA, CFO, Sports Fan, Game when I have the time
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: May 25, 2012, 09:27:32 AM

You left out that WoW got rid of the skill-ups because it didn't add anything.

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #327 on: May 25, 2012, 11:04:30 AM

I figured it was implied  awesome, for real

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #328 on: May 25, 2012, 11:35:40 AM

Well, ok, but it's actually not that bad when you consider you're not (I don't think?) hamstrung into a single class that'll only ever use one or two types of weapons forever and ever. At least that's something from TES series. Of course, it's bootstrapped to the WoW style and layered in D3 build-your-deck class-based ability sauce. But at least it's different.

Until they hit their realworld testing phase and realize all the balance tables are unfixably borked, and start limiting things to class only  awesome, for real
blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:56 PM

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #330 on: May 25, 2012, 02:34:34 PM

Some of the newer articles actually make me warm up about the game.  Skill system is like GW2, which I like.  It really depends on how combat feels.  Is it WOW or is it GW2?

Who ever ok'd that original article should get yelled at.
Rokal
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: May 25, 2012, 03:21:52 PM

I don't actually believe this. Much more likely the current engine is a frankenstein creation just like SWTOR's was with bits and pieces of Heroengine left over. That said, most of the hate piled on Heroengine is misplaced.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #332 on: May 28, 2012, 11:10:28 PM

For me, it isn't hate of the Hero Engine itself.  That engine is probably just fine for standard vanilla MMO XYZ (which this is going to turn into).  It's more because it means you can wave goodbye to the amazing, gorgeous and wonderful worlds that TES has been known for in recent years.  Take that away, and you remove one of the biggest reasons people play these games.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #333 on: May 29, 2012, 12:34:45 AM

I think you are vastly overestimating the impact that the engine has on the actual look of a game.

UnSub
Contributor

Reply #334 on: May 29, 2012, 01:28:40 AM

... except for the Unreal Engine, which makes things look slightly wet.

Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #335 on: May 29, 2012, 01:42:21 AM

I think you are vastly overestimating the impact that the engine has on the actual look of a game.

Probably.  And yet, I'm sure it won't look like I would want it to look.  Whatever. 

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Reply #336 on: May 29, 2012, 12:35:40 PM

Well of course it won't, you're an f13 poster and it is an MMO.  tongue

blackwulf
Terracotta Army

Reply #337 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:14 PM

Two more interviews up - specifically about combat and tactics.

Warning - they are a little long.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2012/05/29/the-tactical-combat-of-the-elder-scrolls-online.aspx
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #338 on: May 29, 2012, 07:23:08 PM

They are way too long.
Capitalist Swine
Terracotta Army

Reply #339 on: May 30, 2012, 04:45:52 AM

They are way too long.

Nice videos, Blackwulf.  I'm excited for TES:O.  It definitely is sounding more and more like a spiritual successor to DAoC.

Unfortunately, in Draegan's case, you just can't fix stupid.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #340 on: May 30, 2012, 05:10:48 AM

Well of course it won't, you're an f13 poster and it is an MMO.  tongue

I guess what I mean is that, for me, much of what makes a game like Skyrim standout is the fantastic living world they have crafted, and the graphical engine pushing it forward.  I suspect that whatever this thing turns out to be will not check those boxes at all.  Not to mention the sandboxiness, which definitely will not be there.  The lore in TES games is the thing I actually care least about.

Spiff
Terracotta Army

Reply #341 on: May 30, 2012, 06:05:06 AM

Oink

First post and already insulting a regular, classy.
Capitalist Swine
Terracotta Army

Reply #342 on: May 30, 2012, 06:20:58 AM

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #343 on: May 30, 2012, 06:32:50 AM

So which banned poster under a new name are you?
Capitalist Swine
Terracotta Army

Reply #344 on: May 30, 2012, 06:41:50 AM

So which banned poster under a new name are you?

I'm brand new, but have been reading for awhile.  Just thought it was terrible to see all the whining and pessimism about a potentially awesome game.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #345 on: May 30, 2012, 06:54:25 AM

I'm brand new, but have been reading for awhile.  Just thought it was terrible to see all the whining and pessimism about a potentially awesome game.

awesome, for real

Welcome to F13.
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #346 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:40 AM

I watched both videos. Here are the key points they made.

-Smaller number of attacks they want to be "cool and powerful" as well as creating ground effect and attack combo synergies, they group is very "anti-rotation" and wants situational combat to be the norm
-AI will work together to chain attacks using direct synergies and tactic
-Visual indicators will play up the usage of skills instead of tons of numbers and crap
-Blocking is based off of stamina, parrying shots, breaking roots, and bashes are based on this
-It's not just win/lose, the finesse system is in place where you can get rewarded for playing well (sorta like a baked in hidden combo system).
-They really tried to par down the UI, they wanted to get rid of caster bars for example and replace them with visual cues. "We don't want you to play a UI game, we want you to react to the gaming world."
-Location based effects are a centerpiece of the game.
-CC can be broken by stamina but since it's tied to defense it has to be strategic, passive abilities then keep you from getting CC'd again for 3s across all characters. People get caught in stunlocks because they used all stamina up.
-Weapons will adjust your abilities automatically to have a light attack and heavy attack, with different results, but you have the option to change on the fly between ranged/melee.
-Having fewer abilites but more counters to things with a finite pool of resources creates a direct tactical scenario beyond just rock-paper-scissors
-The idea they are tossing around is that in dungeons, mobs will change tactics based on your group composition. It won't just be pull, cc, etc. One example, is that there will be alarms and send in guys in different waves.

Paelos
Contributor

Reply #347 on: May 30, 2012, 07:32:43 AM

From what I'm hearing I glean a few things from their approach:

1 - They say they want to get "beyond the numbers" with skills but their entire system is based on numbers. Geeks will break this. They ALWAYS do.
2 - The AI sounds like they are gunning for a form of the Faction Champions fight in WoW. All the time.
3 - There will be a metric fuckton of shit on the ground. From the way they tell it, you run into ground effects to open new combo skills. But mobs also do this.
4 - They really want you to make tactical decisions instead of standard mob responses. That's entirely based on how good their AI will be.
5 - The UI is going to be simple. They made no quotes about whether it would be moddable. That should scare the fuck out of anyone who has dealt with a TES UI.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #348 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54:50 AM

They are way too long.

Nice videos, Blackwulf.  I'm excited for TES:O.  It definitely is sounding more and more like a spiritual successor to DAoC.

Unfortunately, in Draegan's case, you just can't fix stupid.

Oh lord.

What they should of done was exactly what Paelos did.  Transcribe some of the juicer bits, and then leave up the full video interview.  It's better for traffic anyway.  Let's people cut and paste your website's link and text.  It builds traffic.

This is a new game, and if this is their only press they are doing right now, they are better served by parsing data better.  Unfortunely gameinformer was too lazy to present their interviews in a decent way.

Most people don't have time to listen to a poorly conducted interview that is over 15 minutes long.  (Devs love talking about their game, especially for the first time and they aren't bored by the press/convention circuit yet.  You need to attempt to steer the conversation to what people want to hear.  Game mechanics, setting, and other details.)  What they should of done was a series of dev blogs exactly like Arenanet did early on.  Anet did it masterfully.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 08:59:30 AM by Draegan »
Paelos
Contributor

Reply #349 on: May 30, 2012, 10:39:02 AM

The problem I had with that interview was they dragged the one hot chick they've hired to do Mob creation up there (because she's hot), and they talk about how awesome and high-fiving the game is while they are doing the interview. At no point do they show gameplay, even though it's under testing. They just TELL you about the systems in a round table. It's useless to describe something when I know for a fact you have people testing it. They talk about it during the interview about what happened during their testing. Why don't you SHOW us?

Oh I know, because most of this shit is actually pie-in-the-sky stuff right now.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 106 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: The Elder Scrolls Online  
Jump to: