Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Men  (Read 49784 times)
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 11:22:58 AM

It was a fitting end/beginning.  Kinsey's reaction was priceless.  Still odd how I can side with Don in all of this, despite the hundreds of times he's been unfaithful to Betty.

Maybe because he's charming, and she's a lunatic.

Even with his "whore" statement? That fight and the couch discussion was really rough for an episode with so much comedy.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 11:27:12 AM

Even with his "whore" statement?

He was waaaaaaaaay drunk, even for Don Draper standards.  Not too sure he wasn't accurate with that statement, although not in the way he likely intended.

Couch discussion was brutal.  Betty, for once, was a lot more mature than Don and handled the situation better (holding the cards helps).  Sally is going to be a wreck.

-Rasix
fuser
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 12:07:50 PM

Couch discussion was brutal.  Betty, for once, was a lot more mature than Don and handled the situation better (holding the cards helps).  Sally is going to be a wreck.

Rasix

Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 12:16:47 PM

Reno.   But yes, agreed. 

-Rasix
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 03:20:15 PM

Such a great finale!  Don realized how much of an ass he has been to those around him.  Peggy standing firm, although desperately needing Don's respect and affection.  Joan sailing back in and saving the day.  Pete and Trudy really coming together as a team and playing with the big boys. 

This was the salvation of Don Draper.  He may have lost his marriage, but he has regained his soul. 
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: November 11, 2009, 11:50:53 AM

Don Draper's an asshole.  A charming, pretty asshole, but still an asshole.  Not much of a man.  Betty's always been a jerk especially to her kids, but she has had some great lines. ("Mom, I'm bored."  "Go bang your head against the wall." - loved it and plan on using it.)

I used to hate everyone on this show, except for Joan.  Roger's starting to grow on me - at least he knows what an asshole he is.

It struck me last week how much my dad looked like Don Draper back then, dressed like him too.  Suit to work, every day (not quite as snazzy a suit since he was an aerospace engineer, not an adman).  This show still is a little too much a caricature of the times than an accurate portrait but the sets are generally quite good.  What the set designers forget is that just as now, offices and homes aren't completely to period - there's always the odd pieces from previous periods.
Polysorbate80
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: November 11, 2009, 11:58:06 AM

Ad agency offices do often tend to be set pieces.  Appearances are very important to folks who sell images for a living.

“Why the fuck would you ... ?” is like 80% of the conversation with Poly — Chimpy
Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 03:59:54 AM

Don Draper's an asshole.  A charming, pretty asshole, but still an asshole.  Not much of a man.  Betty's always been a jerk especially to her kids, but she has had some great lines. ("Mom, I'm bored."  "Go bang your head against the wall." - loved it and plan on using it.)

I would have more respect for Betty's choice to divorce Don if she weren't doing it on the coattails of a guy she only just met who looks to be 20 years her senior.  She's not without means; she can still sell her father's house, that's a big chunk of change, not to mention she's got Don by the short and curlies knowing that he's really Dick Whitman.  No, she's just trading one subordinate role for another one, with someone she really doesn't know.  At least with Don all the cards were finally on the table.

Sorry, but I have less respect for Betty than I do for Don.  He was right when he called her a "Main Line spoiled brat", and she's an ice cold bitch to boot.  Frankly, I think the kids would probably be better off with Don.  He may be a philanderer, but we do know that he loves his kids and they'd probably actually receive some warmth from him as opposed to the ice queen.
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 08:51:55 AM

Me and the gf watched the whole series over the last few months.  From the start of season 1 ep 1 through last Sunday's episode, my gf has good from hating the cheating prick of Don Draper and feeling sorry for Betty to calling Betty a dumb whore and cheering Don on.

It's funny to watch that transition.
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #44 on: November 13, 2009, 01:20:48 PM

I have spent all three seasons wondering if Bets is supposed to be a numb moron or if January Jones is just a terrible actress. Don't get me wrong, she's fucking stunning, but it always sounds like she's just spitting out her lines without any expression.

The worst part of the year is when Mad Men ends. Gonna be a long 9 months.

I would have more respect for Betty's choice to divorce Don if she weren't doing it on the coattails of a guy she only just met who looks to be 20 years her senior. 

Her father just died. This sets up the storyline for Season 4.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 01:24:37 PM by voodoolily »

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: November 23, 2009, 12:59:00 PM

I have spent all three seasons wondering if Bets is supposed to be a numb moron or if January Jones is just a terrible actress. Don't get me wrong, she's fucking stunning, but it always sounds like she's just spitting out her lines without any expression.

Me too.  She is reminiscent of Grace Kelly - minus the warmth and sincerity.

Can someone please explain to me the hatred that Draper has for Roger?  It seems completely out of character for him.  I assume it's because Roger left wife #1 for wife #2, but Draper's a philanderer too, so... why?  Draper's a jerk in a lot of ways, but never struck me as a hypocrite in any other way but this Roger hating thing -  they aren't friends, they're business associates, yet Draper didn't want to have anything to do with Roger including at work.  I don't get it.

Agree with Big Gulp on Don being the better parent of the two - Betty's an ice woman with her kids.

Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #46 on: November 23, 2009, 01:28:00 PM

Roger a) hit on Don's wife and b) went behind Don's back to get Betty to put pressure on him to sign the contract.  I think he also is generally tired of Roger's shit in general (in part as indicative of the whole Creative v. Account tension), including meddling with his firing of and then ultimately taking away his secretary to marry her.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Rasix

Reply #47 on: November 23, 2009, 01:38:11 PM

Can someone please explain to me the hatred that Draper has for Roger?

Don hates Roger because Roger took Don's behavior and desires to their semi-logical end.  Don desires to start over. He wants to run away from his responsibility and just live free.  Thus his daliances, his season ago extended vacation with the hedonists, his fat stacks of cash sitting in a drawer.  Don does not like seeing what the extremes of his behavior are: thus his disgust when confronted with his pot smoking, slutty, artist hippy girl from season 1; the morally lax, rich drifter hedonists in season 2; and then Roger marrying the younger lady he's having an affair with.

Roger chose his happiness and pleasure over staying with a wife that he doesn't love and probably doesn't love him.  Roger could more easily do this because his child is older, he has more money, and he doesn't have Don's sense of duty toward his family or his self-exempt sense of morality.  Don's abadonment issues also contribute here.  

Betty's gone, his family is shattered, and so are Don's major blocks with being civil toward Roger.  He doesn't have to hate Roger anymore because now there's no shame in being like him.

-Rasix
voodoolily
Contributor

Finnuh, munnuh, muhfuh, I enjoy creating new written vernacular, s'all.

Reply #48 on: November 23, 2009, 04:43:02 PM

Don also heavily relies on his family as a major component of the construct he has created for himself to escape his unfortunate past. His wife/kids/house in suburbs are crucial to maintaining the lie that is his life.

Also, the school teacher he cheats with in Season 3 is on that one Twix commercial.

Voodoo & Sauce - a blog.
The Legend of Zephyr - a different blog.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: July 23, 2010, 02:40:28 AM

New season starts this Sunday.

Over and out.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: July 23, 2010, 02:58:12 AM

Terrible actress.

At some point the producers realised this and told wardrobe they'd have to act for her. The only variation in her delivery is whether it comes from a happy/sad/repressed/slutty/formal outfit.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: July 23, 2010, 03:55:39 AM

Can't wait until Sunday!  So many good actors and good scripts in this show.  I LOVE how they ended last season.  Don got his wish; a do-over.  Also love Roger.  The man knows what he wants, gets it and doesn't apologize for it. 
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: July 28, 2010, 01:46:42 PM

Not sure what to think after Sunday, but last season started a bit slowly as well.  I'm really looking forward to see how they develop Don this season. 

Who's the new art guy (working with Peggy)?  Seems annoying as shit. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: August 09, 2010, 04:09:46 PM

Can anyone refresh my memory?  Is the woman that Don went to visit in this week's episode (the blonde in California) special because she's the only person that knows Don's (Dick's) true history?

Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: August 09, 2010, 04:51:14 PM

That's the real Don Draper's widow. So yes she knows the whole thing but it goes beyond that.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: August 23, 2010, 12:25:02 PM

This week's writing has me thinking that this show has jumped the shark.  I'll watch a few more episodes, but it seems that they're just heading into left field. 

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: September 01, 2010, 07:08:35 PM

I just got caught up with the show through this past weekend.  You'll need to be more specific, why do you think a shark has been jumped?

Over and out.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 07:55:17 AM

You'll need to be more specific, why do you think a shark has been jumped?

I don't give a shit about the specifics of Don's daughter.  She's struggling through the divorce.  I get it.  I don't want to spend 10 mins of the show on her issues. 

-  Mark Twain
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 01:38:15 PM

You'll need to be more specific, why do you think a shark has been jumped?

I don't give a shit about the specifics of Don's daughter.  She's struggling through the divorce.  I get it.  I don't want to spend 10 mins of the show on her issues. 

What's more interesting to me is Betty's issues with Sally's issues, if that makes sense, and that Don, despite being a pretty shitty husband, has the potential to be a pretty good dad - it's just potential though, he's still one fucked up guy.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: September 08, 2010, 12:07:09 PM

This week's writing has me thinking that this show has jumped the shark.  I'll watch a few more episodes, but it seems that they're just heading into left field. 

Sunday's episode redeemed the writing.  I'll wait on the shark for a bit.

-  Mark Twain
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: September 08, 2010, 03:07:03 PM

Man, that was good.  Peggy has always been a bit of a cipher to me so it was great to see her and Don interact.  "Bert has no balls?" lawl

Don fades for a bit and Peggy gets to see Dick Whitman underneath.  Golden.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: September 26, 2010, 09:03:03 PM

Lane's father  shocked

Over and out.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: September 26, 2010, 11:50:21 PM

Lane's father  shocked

Don't fuck with the Soul Hunter.

-H.L. Mencken
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: September 28, 2010, 12:23:42 PM

I've never seen this show, but what bothers me (not here, this is an internet forum of regular people, we can talk about whatever) is how every goddamn news site on the Internet with delusions of pretension run a "deep" psychoanalysis of every episode every week.  Its the same thing that made me hate Lost.  
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:40:53 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: September 28, 2010, 12:32:01 PM

Where are the script writers otherwise going to get their ideas?

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: September 28, 2010, 01:45:33 PM

I've never seen this show, but what bothers me (not here, this is an internet forum of regular people, we can talk about whatever) is how every goddamn news site on the Internet with delusions of pretension run a "deep" psychoanalysis of every episode every week.  Its the same thing that made me hate Lost.  

If the media is all over your show, good or bad, you win.  Mad Men is a great show.  That's why it gets the buzz that it does... no matter how psycho.

-  Mark Twain
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #66 on: November 21, 2010, 08:34:02 AM

Picked up season one on bluray last night, having heard various positive things about it.  I've watched about half and am enjoying it massively.  These people are seriously broken, but fascinating to watch.  

EDIT: Just finished up season four... think I've watched more TV this week than I do in a typical year... fun fun ride... any idea whenabouts in 2011 season five might start?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:18:55 PM by Quinton »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: March 26, 2012, 05:58:49 PM

Yes it's really been this long between seasons, which is way too long for any series.  However, Roger Sterling remains one of the most entertaining characters on any television show.

Over and out.
Rasix

Reply #68 on: March 26, 2012, 06:44:21 PM

Zoobie zoobie zoobie zoooo.

-Rasix
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: March 26, 2012, 07:17:03 PM

This show moves at it's own pace and keeps surprising me.  Love having MadMen back!  Maybe some of the characters acted out of character, but Harry with Roger, Don with his hot new wife, Price with Joan, just some great one on one stories.  I mean you just don't see Harry and Roger having a story, loved it, poor Harry was so outgunned.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men  
Jump to: