Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:34:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Men  (Read 49657 times)
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #140 on: May 12, 2015, 08:55:51 AM

I am wondering if Don just fades into nothingness in the end... If the last shot is of him putting down roots in some small town, nearly penniless, introducing himself as Dick Whitman, and after saying goodbye to everything that made him Don.

Abandon his 3 kids?
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #141 on: May 15, 2015, 01:39:39 AM

Heads up.  For some reason my DVR did not automatically pick up the finale despite picking up all the episodes of the marathon. I had to tell it specifically to record it. Who knows what gremlins in coding are in the system, but make sure your box is recognizing the finale as a new ep and recording it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #142 on: May 15, 2015, 09:21:30 AM

Heads up.  For some reason my DVR did not automatically pick up the finale despite picking up all the episodes of the marathon. I had to tell it specifically to record it. Who knows what gremlins in coding are in the system, but make sure your box is recognizing the finale as a new ep and recording it.

Thanks - I just checked my dvr (Comcast) and it's set for recording S7:Ep14 (which is the last one).

I have had trouble with my dvr before though, so it was a good reminder for me to doublecheck.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #143 on: May 15, 2015, 02:39:51 PM

Going out and buying a bottle of bourbon, bitters, sugar cubes, cherries and an orange.

Will tip out a few on Sunday night.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #144 on: May 17, 2015, 08:23:01 PM

So that's the end.  Not bad at all.  Rare to see a TV show maintain such a high level of quality over, what 7 seasons?  Goodbye Don, Peggy and the rest, I enjoyed witnessing your fictional lives.

Closure, I has it.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #145 on: May 17, 2015, 08:26:45 PM

Ha, Don totally created that Coke ad.  My wife is all pissed off at the finale but I dug it.

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #146 on: May 17, 2015, 08:52:01 PM

I thought that was crap.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #147 on: May 17, 2015, 10:58:57 PM

Hollywood kinda ending, tied everything up. I guess might disappoint people looking for a euro-tragic ending.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #148 on: May 18, 2015, 01:49:12 AM

My only real complaint is how rushed these last few episodes (and especially the finale) felt.  I feel like they could have spent a little less time in seasons 5 and 6 revisiting things we'd seen plenty of in seasons 1-4 and a bit more time on wrapping up the show in less of a hurry.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #149 on: May 18, 2015, 08:57:21 AM

Maybe it wasn't crap but it also wasn't satisfying. Definitely felt VERY rushed. Almost like they wrote the final episodes with no plan in mind at all.
"I know why not have Stan and Peggy be in love?"
"Awesome idea! Let's write that in"
I like Peggy and Stan but that felt so contrived it just didn't sit right.

Maybe there was no good way to end such a plot-less show? I will miss it.

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #150 on: May 18, 2015, 09:01:45 AM

I'm disappointed.  If they suddenly decided to do another season, couldn't you just put a Season 2 or Season 3 storyline for Don in place and not feel like the character reverted?  Womanizing?  Check.  Irresponsible with his family?  Check.  Self centered?  Check.  Just finding that right heartstring to pull to get get other people to buy what he is selling... check.

I wish the final 10 minutes had shown Don and Co in the 90s to see where they ended up.  I'd like to have seen Don in a retirement home, having hollow talks with his family and looking sad as he demands the attention of everyone else in the home...

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #151 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:16 PM

But that's just it.  Don Draper went West and became Dick Whitman more and more.  Finally, the last person who called him Dick disappears, taking his car.  Stuck at the retreat, he reverted to Don Draper; that smile at the end wasn't of spiritual enlightenment, it was a smile of Hey I can co-opt this spiritual movement and turn it into a great Coke ad.

Don Draper didn't vanish when he went west, Dick Whitman did.

No matter where you go, there you are.
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #152 on: May 18, 2015, 03:56:41 PM

An interesting note: Until airing, very few people knew anything came after the Don smile... The scripts and screeners apparently ended with the smile.

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Selby
Terracotta Army

Reply #153 on: May 18, 2015, 06:12:37 PM

Stuck at the retreat, he reverted to Don Draper; that smile at the end wasn't of spiritual enlightenment, it was a smile of Hey I can co-opt this spiritual movement and turn it into a great Coke ad.
That was my question.  Did the ending imply that he came up with that and went back to doing what he does best?  The wife says it was Peggy who did that spot because Don gave her the idea over the phone and he just became a hippie and was never heard from again.  I didn't hate it but definitely left feeling kind of like "eh?" towards it.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #154 on: May 18, 2015, 07:23:20 PM

If you and your wife want to see it that way, sure, makes sense.  

One thing I found fascinating was the show's use of doors.  Notice Don's relationship with doors.  Sounds dumb, but what is a door but a portal to another place?  Don has been going out of doors the whole series. They represent a fresh start, a new adventure.  The also symbolize death. Look at Lane Price, hanging from his office door.  Look at fantasy-Bert, finishing up his song and dance as a door closes in front of him.  Look at Don nearly dying when the elevator opens to an empty shaft.  Going in is death, and it is, metaphorically, for Don Draper.  

So Don goes west and becomes Dick.  Every time Don/Dick goes to Anna Draper's house he sleeps deeply.  Because he's not hiding anything, she knows Dick stole her husband's name.  But this time it's different.  He goes there to find the only person left who knows him as Dick bails on him.  Dick now has no past and an uncertain future at best.  That's why the crying man and his door dream resonated with Dick.  Because when people open the fridge door, there is Don, smiling in the light.  But when the door closes it's Dick who is left alone in the darkness.  

So he has to stay, fate has trapped him here until he figures out who he is.  At the edge of a cliff there is metaphorically and almost literally no where else to run.  So he sits there and Don comes up with the Coke ad and Dick disappears behind the fridge door, maybe forever.

Edit: Format

« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 02:46:14 AM by Tannhauser »
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #155 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:20 AM

Oh God Jesus, do not try to make paragraphs by indenting -- put a blank line between paragraphs and leave out the indents.
Slayerik
Terracotta Army

Victim: Sirius Maximus

Reply #156 on: May 19, 2015, 04:16:18 AM

Hey Tannhauser... well fucking done.

"I have more qualifications than Jesus and earn more than this whole board put together.  My ego is huge and my modesty non-existant." -Ironwood
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #157 on: May 21, 2015, 11:24:49 AM

To me it kinda felt like they were leaving room for a movie.  Maybe Weekend at Roger's, Roger dies in 1982, the gang is called to his estate to hear the reading of the will and hi-jinks ensue.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #158 on: May 21, 2015, 11:57:24 AM

Hey Tannhauser... well fucking done.

Tannhauser should review movies.  That was one hell of a view on the final episode.  Agree or disagree, it's a great take on the show.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #159 on: May 22, 2015, 12:16:17 PM

+1 on Tannhauser's. I like Mad Men but reading people's breakdowns of the episodes always made it more enjoyable (and understandable 'cause I'm simple).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men  
Jump to: