Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:40:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mad Men  (Read 49724 times)
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 03, 2013, 05:14:26 PM

Wow Joan finally screwed up, sorta!  And the return of Ginsberg!  Oh and when Don gets drunk he slips back into Dick the Hick it seems.  Ted keeps the place together with sheer force of will.  Peggy and Joan finally clear the air.  Bob Benson appears to be living the Peter Principle.  Listening to that record makes me think he's 'all hat no cattle'.  Harry Hamlin's character is pretty quirky and not at all I imagined.

Always good to see Don and Roger together, they're like Hope and Crosby but with drugs.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: June 03, 2013, 05:45:45 PM

A really solid episode.  Harry Hamlin is really killing it.

Agreed!  I really enjoy the interplay between him and Ted as well. 

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #107 on: June 10, 2013, 06:44:05 AM

Ahh Don every time you seem to be improving you let us down. Well at least your consistent.

Is it too much to expect the redemption of Don Draper? Even I'm left feeling disgusted with him after this episode.

Someone liked something? Who the fuzzy fuck was this heretic? You don't come to this website and enjoy something. Fuck that. ~ The Walrus
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: June 10, 2013, 12:32:42 PM

I've given up on Don's redemption.  I suspect he is headed for a sad end, the only thing I'm really wondering is who else he will drag down with him.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #109 on: June 10, 2013, 04:50:19 PM

Great episode!  God, even Pete acted like a human being a few times.  And, oh the hilarity!  Seriously, Peggy's rat problem was great as was Roger with his bon mots.  Also great to see Ted's home life and his bargain with Don.  Speaking of Don, I don't think there is redemption for him.  He's the black figure falling during the credits.  Don gets less savory every year, especially contrasted with his wife, Ted and the surgeon.  Little Sally got a taste of pop's proclivities and she's rightly freaked out.

Oh and the mystery of Smilin' Bob revealed!  That was a good scene and I'm surprised Pete didn't jump out the window.  If I had to pick a weak link, it'd be Pete's mother story.  Lastly, the touching scene between Pete and Peggy was wonderfully intimate.

Just a really strong episode from start to finish.  Once again, MM seems to have gathered its momentum and is in high gear. 

Quinton
Terracotta Army

is saving up his raid points for a fancy board title

Reply #110 on: June 10, 2013, 10:37:50 PM

Don's reaction to Sally's discovery (by dinner time at least) was pretty severe.  Not sure if he's going to be able to paper over this so easily.  Also Mrs Rosen did not exactly take it well either.  I think that it's gotta be over at this point... if not worse (Sally says something to Megan or Betty or a friend...)

He always seems to find a way to sink to a new low.  I was thinking he was actually trying to help out Dr Rosen more than restart his affair with his wife, but that fell apart the moment she answered the phone.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2013, 02:46:54 AM by Quinton »
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #111 on: June 11, 2013, 02:42:51 AM

I agree.  He was actually doing his friend a favor, probably because he feels guilty for banging his wife.  Then he goes and bangs his wife again, taking advantage of her deep relief and gratitude.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 17, 2013, 06:33:59 AM

Enjoyed the episode. I kinda enjoyed the meeting with St Joseph's scene....I hate myself for liking Draper at times but he can be such a magnicificent barstard...

Was anyone's first thought though ?

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #113 on: June 17, 2013, 03:48:10 PM

Yeah, I felt that way.  Kenny, the only decent guy, gets offed!  Not as good a show as last week, but some great moments.  That sleaze Duck's still hanging around.  I never forgave him for abandoning his dog.  Nice moment between Betty and Sally.  The return of Glen!  I'm not sure Ted can survive in the same office as Don. 

I'm not spoilering any of this because no ones here that hasn't seen the latest episode.  If that's wrong my apologies.

Finally the secret of Bob!  That was a weird scene between him and Pete.  Thought Pete was going to fire him.  I guess he can't since he's on the Chevy team.  Lastly, Megan is still clueless and Don's still a prick.  News at 11.

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 17, 2013, 03:51:24 PM

I think he kept Bob because unlike Don who he knows about but can't do anything about, he has complete control over Bob. Pete is desperate to be in charge of something at the office.

Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 17, 2013, 06:37:29 PM

Also, given how badly his going to Cooper about Don backfired (Cooper just didn't give a shit), and how it was just made clear to him that Bob was important for continuity with Chevy, *and* that Bob just reminded him that it was Pete's decision to hire him, I think Pete decided to try a different approach this time around...
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: June 17, 2013, 08:23:07 PM

Pete didn't actually hire him, though.  No one did.  He just showed up one day and started working and everyone assumed he was hired.  I think he gave that answer to Pete just because Pete was the first person to acknowledge him.

Over and out.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: April 11, 2014, 04:53:47 AM

In honour of the final episodes starting on Sunday...

Here is Mad Men Blaxplotation style

Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: April 28, 2014, 08:58:34 AM

Anyone watching the new season? I'm liking it so far. Not enough Roger Sterling.

Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: April 28, 2014, 09:02:33 AM

Anyone watching the new season? I'm liking it so far. Not enough Roger Sterling.

I am.  Pretty intense so far.  Agree on the 'not enough Roger' part.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: April 28, 2014, 12:29:08 PM

I was kind of surprised that

Over and out.
Speedy Cerviche
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: April 28, 2014, 07:06:35 PM

edit: [the agency]
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 07:43:37 PM by Speedy Cerviche »
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: April 28, 2014, 07:19:54 PM

It's the last season but as is all too typical for AMC, it's split into two parts and we won't get the second half until next year.

Over and out.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: April 28, 2014, 07:35:40 PM

Which is total bullshit. 
jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: April 29, 2014, 08:20:13 AM

Don has gone through some character growth and humbling.  That is why he'll work for Lou.  He understands that he needs to earn back respect.

Don isn't the same character he was in the early episodes.  He no longer dominates those around him - he is now the outdated guy struggling to find a place. 

2020 will be the year I gave up all hope.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: April 30, 2014, 07:24:58 AM

Pretty much agree.  I think Don is slowing turning into a hybrid of Don Draper/Dick Whitman.  Which is why he's letting Sally in on it.
Tmon
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: April 30, 2014, 02:35:10 PM

Why is Betty still in this show?  Do we really need more scenes establishing that she is not going to win Mother of the Year.  Also, agree the show needs lots more Roger Sterling.
Abagadro
Terracotta Army

Possibly the only user with more posts in the Den than PC/Console Gaming.

Reply #127 on: May 18, 2014, 11:37:37 PM

What do you have to worry about?

Having done nothing and having no one.

Holy fucking shit!

"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.”

-H.L. Mencken
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: May 19, 2014, 04:08:14 AM

Holy fucking shit indeed. I loved the episode, brought a smile to my face, also worried that they are just setting us up for a huge fall.

Numtini
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: May 27, 2014, 06:56:20 PM

What the fuck.

If you can read this, you're on a board populated by misogynist assholes.
Nevermore
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: May 27, 2014, 07:29:45 PM

It was certainly out of left field.

Over and out.
Quinton
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: May 28, 2014, 01:40:39 AM

Fantastic episode.  The (very final) ending bit was pretty strange, but hey, I'll cope.

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: May 28, 2014, 02:51:27 AM

I think Roger's deal is the nail in the coffin.  We don't like Cutler but he's right.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: April 07, 2015, 06:45:08 AM

The final 'season' started last night. I was a little underwhelmed. Some classic Don Draper moments though. Awesomely bad facial hair and Kenny Cosgrove of all people with the best lines.

Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #134 on: April 22, 2015, 09:31:39 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: April 22, 2015, 11:49:52 AM

To be fair, I think her character is supposed to be stinted, awkward, unapproachable and beautiful.  Her only redeeming value is her looks.  She is supposed to be vapid and annoying to modern sensibilities.  Now, that isn't an excuse for why all of her other characters in other shows/movies are the same, but.... (actually, I have not minded her on LMOE).

Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #136 on: April 22, 2015, 02:18:52 PM

Yeah, she's in arrested development, shown when she connects to a young Glen, admires the doll house in the child psychologist's office, etc.  Also, she can't act.  I kind of like creepy Glen, the way he looks at her with those dead, serial-killer eyes.

Good to see Joan may be getting some permanent happiness.  Peggy won't though, she in her own way too much to be happy.

LOVED Don's story about the problems of attractive people.  I think he really got to see himself from the outside a bit and it was revealing, especially in his last line to Sally.
Shannow
Terracotta Army

Reply #137 on: May 11, 2015, 10:12:36 AM

jgsugden
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: May 11, 2015, 11:02:58 AM

I am wondering if Don just fades into nothingness in the end... If the last shot is of him putting down roots in some small town, nearly penniless, introducing himself as Dick Whitman, and after saying goodbye to everything that made him Don.

Samwise

sentient yeast infection

Reply #139 on: May 11, 2015, 11:09:51 AM

I really like the DB Cooper theory.   Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

"I have not actually recommended many games, and I'll go on the record here saying my track record is probably best in the industry." - schild
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  TV  |  Topic: Mad Men  
Jump to: