Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  (Read 115780 times)
slog
Terracotta Army

on: September 06, 2008, 08:57:22 AM

Because I'm really underwhelmed at level 7.  The PvE quests involve endless running (give me a fucking mount at level 1 please), the instances I've seen so far are just WoW battlegrounds.  I feel like I'm playing WoW with some of the features removed.

Also, there shouldn't be this many unattackable mobs one week from release.  EA's testing program must suck to miss a bug this obvious.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 09:54:20 AM

Head to the RvR area or do some public quests.

The fun here is to level while doing some mindless PvP. If you approach it as a standard PvE the game will obviously feel shallow. The fun is elsewhere.

(and yeah, I noticed too way too many stuck, unattackable mobs.)

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Arrrgh
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 10:03:15 AM

And you can completely ignore PVE. Create a character, jog to the first warcamp, fly over to human vs chaos area if you're not there already (best lowbie scenario), take the two quests having to do with scenarios (one is kill any 10 enemy, the other is simply do the scenario, both are repeatable), and start PvPing.

Buy renown gear from the merchants in the warcamp as you level up, and go see the renown trainer at some point and get Combat Awareness for 5% more exp from PVP.

You'll level at a decent rate and have plenty of cash to buy skills/gear.

Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 10:06:55 AM

The key is to try and do all three main activities as you level: PQs, Scenarios, PvE. RvR is great when servers are young, so that's a fourth option, though I don't see that it'll persist as a fourth option for low tiers after two months per server.

However, balancing all three is the entire game from 1 to cap. The game itself doesn't really change between the various tiers except for some later interesting abilities and of course the lore and graphics. But that's the case with most of these types of MMORPGs so WAR isn't to blame  Ohhhhh, I see.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2008, 12:12:20 PM

Also, there shouldn't be this many unattackable mobs one week from release.  EA's testing program must suck to miss a bug this obvious.

This seems to be related to the AI pathing issue they have been having.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2008, 04:11:21 PM

Is it me or did they up the levelling requirements bigtime? my chosen feels like he's been 10 a looong time now and the quests already dried up in the level 11-12 area.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: September 06, 2008, 04:51:48 PM

It doesn't get any better no. The only reason I can see to play WAR over WoW is for the large-scale RVR, otherwise you're better off playing WoW unless WAR just really feels better to you. I'll be playing both, but only because WoW gutted old-school AV. If it was still going I'd probably not bother.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: September 06, 2008, 05:32:20 PM

Is it me or did they up the levelling requirements bigtime?

I have noticed the XP curve has changed quite a bit over time. I really hope they don't make it take too long to level. On the one hand, the argument could be made that longer leveling means more PQs and RvR action at lower tiers. On the other hand, slowing leveling means slowing the pace of getting new abilities, which people will notice after awhile.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: September 06, 2008, 06:04:55 PM

Is it me or did they up the levelling requirements bigtime? my chosen feels like he's been 10 a looong time now and the quests already dried up in the level 11-12 area.

This will kill the game if they did.  Especially if a mechanism isn't in place to better cope with the population disparity. 

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #9 on: September 06, 2008, 06:33:35 PM

It doesn't get any better no. The only reason I can see to play WAR over WoW is for the large-scale RVR, otherwise you're better off playing WoW unless WAR just really feels better to you. I'll be playing both, but only because WoW gutted old-school AV. If it was still going I'd probably not bother.

Pretty much.  Is there castle sieging or something?  I would google it, but the interweb scares me

Azazel
Contributor

Reply #10 on: September 06, 2008, 06:45:47 PM

I hope there are still people playing when I start my account!  awesome, for real

http://azazelx.wordpress.com/ - My Miniatures and Hobby Blog.
HRose
I'm Special

VIKLAS!

Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 07:15:43 PM

I also felt the levelling much slower, but I thought it was due because I skipped PvE entirely.

PvP experience is still spotty. Then I don't know.

-HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:20:13 PM

I am already having more fun in PVP in this game than I do in WoW. YMMV, but I am pretty much set on this game for PVP and WoW for PVE.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
Tannhauser
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 07:55:32 PM

Levelling has slowed down for sure.  It's actually a bit too slow and has gotten annoying.  But I did RvR for the first time today and it was a blast.  A blast I tell you!  My 6th WP did good, and Order went 4-1 while I played.  Beats WoW pvp to death, but then again this is all early and shiny.
Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 08:05:31 PM

The RvR scenarios are fun as heck.. unfortunately as soon as people realize I'm a Runepriest I'm dead.   ACK!
squirrel
Contributor

Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 08:06:05 PM

Yeah it does seem that they slowed leveling - bad idea if so!

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: September 06, 2008, 08:24:14 PM

one big issue was as soon as i hit ten and started the second area the new rvr scenario has not popped up once for me so it's turned into boring pve.  The servers can't be that devoid of people under ten that in three hours not a single scenario would pop up for chaos, is this possible? they REALLY need to work on better que'ing systems because the one thing to break the tedious levelling isn't working.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: September 06, 2008, 08:35:01 PM

I'm just playing enough to get a feel for the game, the beta is limited to like level 15 anyway isn't it?

I wanna save my big time involvement for a character I'm actually gonna be able to keep.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #18 on: September 06, 2008, 08:38:19 PM

I think for people who haven't been in the beta, it's taking a lot longer to get to 12. Level 10/11 people stay in Tier 1 where they can dominate
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: September 07, 2008, 05:48:29 AM

I gave up on it.  I'm a PvP guy, and I just don't get why they put in all this boring stuff for low levels.  The pacing is terribad.  I have 7 buttons to push at rank 6!  Too much time spent being a newb.  I spent an hour trying to level via RvR, but it's kinda stupid with so few abilities at this low a level.

But then Mythic always loved to make people grind.  I just don't have the patience for it.  If the real game comes much later, I don't want to wait. 

Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: September 07, 2008, 06:11:34 AM

The xp from mob grinding and all pvp xp was fairly heavily nerfed, the xp from quests was increased slightly.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: September 07, 2008, 06:21:59 AM

So they made levleing a lot harder 1 week before release?   

Is Mythic panicking?

Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #22 on: September 07, 2008, 06:41:49 AM

one big issue was as soon as i hit ten and started the second area the new rvr scenario has not popped up once for me so it's turned into boring pve.  The servers can't be that devoid of people under ten that in three hours not a single scenario would pop up for chaos, is this possible? they REALLY need to work on better que'ing systems because the one thing to break the tedious levelling isn't working.
Sometimes it depends on which area you are in, some scenarios are more popular than others so if you go to the empire/chaos area (for example) it might be faster.  I doubt the elf scenarios get run very much at all.  What's happening on my server is that everyone comes to the human lands for RvR because that is where all the action is.
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: September 07, 2008, 06:55:05 AM

The RvR scenarios are fun as heck.. unfortunately as soon as people realize I'm a Runepriest I'm dead.   ACK!

Heh, which one? RvR or Scenarios? smiley I love the scenarios mostly because of the battle funneling (typical level designed choke points) that RvR itself rarely has, but also because it's a guaranteed battle.

I do wonder though: how many people actually will jump in and STAY in Scenarios until they hit around the middle of the tier level-wise. Every time I've entered a Scenario before level 8 it's been roll after roll. Level-balancing works appropriately imho, but it doesn't provide the abilities you need in order to have a chance.

Has anyone found leveling in Scenarios to be on par time-wise against PvE? Like, even though you won't get many kills at level 4 in Scenarios, you still get XP from the repeatable Scenario quest(s). I never really tested leveling up just on PvP in this game.
Khaldun
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: September 07, 2008, 06:55:32 AM

This strikes me as "don't do this just at the end of Beta 101": so many of these guys change the pace of levelling to make it feel grindy and punitive. Warhammer's PvE game is boring and ordinary, and if you have to PvP to level, you'll get frustrated with that too. In theory, they're ready for people to max level and dive into endgame RvR, unlike Conan, so they shouldn't be putting the breaks on. Also in theory, they've already got a mechanism in place that makes people want to repeat content (RvR, PQs) so that alone should slow levelling somewhat. When levelling gets slow enough that you feel a sense of dragginess, grindiness, your levelling had better be fun in and of itself. And Warhammer's just isn't.
schild
Administrator

Reply #25 on: September 07, 2008, 08:18:25 AM

It takes very, very few effective duos/trios to win a scenario. Rattran and I were doing a good deal of kicking ass last night because we don't suck. The real problem is the number of people who just wander around like a chicken with their head cutoff. I suspect that will continue to exist, but only at tier 1.
tazelbain
Unknown

tazelbain

Reply #26 on: September 07, 2008, 09:10:26 AM

Once you are in a Scenery you can get the Scenery Report by clicking the Scenerio button again at any time.  You can sort by level to see how you stack up level wise.  it seems like an 80% predictor of how things will turn on.

Its funny, a while back they made noise about Dogs of War and using points to balance the teams.  I see none of this.

"Me am play gods"
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: September 07, 2008, 10:33:25 AM

Its funny, a while back they made noise about Dogs of War and using points to balance the teams.  I see none of this.
MMOG developer reneges on promises made during development to ensure their game ships on time.
Film at 11.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: September 07, 2008, 10:44:57 AM

Man I really do wanna play and like this game but seriously after dying for the third time today to unattackable mobs plinking merrily away at me while I try to run and break the encounter I just said "fuck this" and exited out.

oh and if you want to make anything with talismans you'll need a friend because you need a salvager and a scavenger to get all the necessary curios/fragments so that ticked me off too.

Evildrider
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: September 07, 2008, 10:50:40 AM

Heh, which one? RvR or Scenarios? smiley I love the scenarios mostly because of the battle funneling (typical level designed choke points) that RvR itself rarely has, but also because it's a guaranteed battle.

I do wonder though: how many people actually will jump in and STAY in Scenarios until they hit around the middle of the tier level-wise. Every time I've entered a Scenario before level 8 it's been roll after roll. Level-balancing works appropriately imho, but it doesn't provide the abilities you need in order to have a chance.

Has anyone found leveling in Scenarios to be on par time-wise against PvE? Like, even though you won't get many kills at level 4 in Scenarios, you still get XP from the repeatable Scenario quest(s). I never really tested leveling up just on PvP in this game.

I've been playing the scenarios mainly, the scenario xp is pretty good actually... especailly if you win.  They also don't last very long, the timer for the Dwarf/Greenskin one is only like 15 minutes, but doesn't usually run that long.  I was getting about 4k xp from a scenario win, plus 1k from the quest turn in, and another 800 from a quest that asked me to kill 10 players in pvp.
Calantus
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 07:30:14 PM

This strikes me as "don't do this just at the end of Beta 101": so many of these guys change the pace of levelling to make it feel grindy and punitive. Warhammer's PvE game is boring and ordinary, and if you have to PvP to level, you'll get frustrated with that too. In theory, they're ready for people to max level and dive into endgame RvR, unlike Conan, so they shouldn't be putting the breaks on. Also in theory, they've already got a mechanism in place that makes people want to repeat content (RvR, PQs) so that alone should slow levelling somewhat. When levelling gets slow enough that you feel a sense of dragginess, grindiness, your levelling had better be fun in and of itself. And Warhammer's just isn't.

Yeah the xp nerf is a kick to the nuts. After about half a day of leveling another runepriest I had enough and then leveled my mage on WoW. Who is 62. And one of the 3 classes I haven't gotten to 70, with the other 2 also above 60. And I hate leveling mages. But it was more fun than WAR leveling.

MMOGs need to fucking learn that the grind is not fun and not necessary. Making it worse is a kick to the nuts because even if the grind is still small, comparing it to how it was before makes it seem like it takes forever to level. I don't think I'll be playing WAR anymore. I'll hold a sub and login from time to time because I want Oceanic numbers to look good for other studios but I don't think I'll be enjoying myself. I'd "twink" in a low bracket but you can't do that because PVP gives you XP. I never thought I'd dislike that. Ohhhhh, I see.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 08:42:26 PM

Mythic sure loves to deliver the xp nerf groin kick. Wasn't received well last time they did it either.  Ohhhhh, I see.

Almost makes me happy my weekend gave me no time to play MMOs.

-Rasix
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #32 on: September 07, 2008, 09:06:42 PM

XP nerf is noticeable.  If it was nerfed at levels 1-20, I'd be inclined to say that's ok.  But if WAR goes the way of exponential time leveling like other MMOs were higher levels mean longer grinds than lower levels, then it's a crappy move.  I was hoping to roll to 40 in 2-4 weeks and then start playing a few alts. 
ahoythematey
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: September 07, 2008, 09:09:53 PM

Are you fucking kidding me?  Why do they continue to pull this shit?  Has prolonging the leveling curve ever paid off for an MMO?  Was it really fast prior, and even so would that have made any fucking difference for a game designed to be a perpetual back-and-forth?
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: September 07, 2008, 09:28:32 PM

Are you fucking kidding me?  Why do they continue to pull this shit?  Has prolonging the leveling curve ever paid off for an MMO?  Was it really fast prior, and even so would that have made any fucking difference for a game designed to be a perpetual back-and-forth?

Exp was already fairly slow in my opinion in comparison. Now there's no shortage of things to do so you aren't really grinding mobs but the thing is you still spend an unsual amount of time per level it's just you have double or triple the amount of quests so the quests themselves feel grindy and monotonous.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Warhammer Online (Moderator: tazelbain)  |  Topic: Does this game get better as you level?  
Jump to: