Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:18:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  (Read 168902 times)
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

on: August 21, 2008, 09:13:45 AM

Welcome to the lands of Mol Rehan.

Wurm Online has launched a brand new world; an unspoilt, untouched land of vast mountains and lakes ready for new and experienced players of this unique game. A new land is just that. There are no plans, no roads, no maps, no towns, villages, no people and no story. This is a wild place of forests, lakes, seas, mountains and surprises!

Also, boating was added recently.

Linky

« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:07:50 PM by Yoru »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
schild
Administrator

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 09:24:17 AM

Yea, you really follow some Shit.

Anyway, we covered this game a Long Time Ago: http://f13.net/index.php?itemid=151

Edit: Note, we covered it, don't follow it. It was actually good coverage also. But man it's been a while. How do you even, you know, I don't want to know.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 09:31:21 AM

Yeah, i did a search and read that article, really good take on it all. Thats why i figured that they may be SOMEONE here that would appreciate a new untouched land. I would assume that the experience would differer greatly from the land thats been developed for a while. But it seems to take a premium account to use this new land, free to play players still need to go beyond the urban sprawl.

Yea, you really follow some Shit.

Anyway, we covered this game a Long Time Ago: http://f13.net/index.php?itemid=151

Edit: Note, we covered it, don't follow it. It was actually good coverage also. But man it's been a while. How do you even, you know, I don't want to know.

What are you trying to say to me? lol.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 09:33:25 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 09:43:38 AM

I gave up on this game when the stick I was using to make a campfire kept burning up. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:33 AM

That game is like what happens when you add a levelling treadmill to every skill and every tech in A Tale in the Desert.  ACK!

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 09:49:53 AM

I gave up on this game when the stick I was using to make a campfire kept burning up. 

Foraging crushed my soul.  undecided

Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 12:07:12 PM

This is the game where one had to make a vessel to drink out of before dying of thirst, correct?  It's bizarrely impressive.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 02:55:31 PM

Actually now that ATITD has stuck with those levels and those ugly garages, I'm tempted to give Wurm another try. It may not have the politics built into it, but damn if I like me some frontiersman action.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Yoru

the y master, king of bourbon

Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 02:34:40 AM

This is the game where one had to make a vessel to drink out of before dying of thirst, correct?  It's bizarrely impressive.

Nah, if I recall right, you couldn't actually DIE from hunger/thirst, you just got reduced to a crawling wreck unable to do anything but move until you got some food and water. And I don't think you needed a cup to drink, you just needed to find fresh water, which generally wasn't that hard.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 10:27:29 AM

The bit about taking an hour and a half to make some soup that was worth 2% hunger killed any interest I had.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: August 22, 2008, 10:48:26 AM

The bit about taking an hour and a half to make some soup that was worth 2% hunger killed any interest I had.

Making every item need for soup from scratch (bowl, spoon, meats, fire, wood ETC..) is not the only way to do things. But i hear you.

Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 06:53:44 AM

I play Dwarf Fortress for my fix of bizarre autistic game fun and I get to do it for free.
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 07:00:38 AM

Making every item need for soup from scratch (bowl, spoon, meats, fire, wood ETC..) is not the only way to do things. But i hear you.

Remember kids, sandbox is far superior to gaming worlds in every way.

Yoru

Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 08:15:05 AM

Don't be a chode. There's examples of going too far to the extreme in either direction.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 10:28:54 AM

Remember kids, sandbox is far superior to gaming worlds in every way.

Ohhhhh, I see.

CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: August 24, 2008, 11:14:29 AM

So how many people are playing now and does it still take 10hrs+ to get self sufficient?
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: August 25, 2008, 01:47:42 PM

I gave it another try yesterday. There were a few newbies around, and a few established players. It wasn't dead, but it wasn't swarming either. I spent four hours and had gathered some nuts and berries, wood for a fire, and was just about to find some clay to make my pottery bowl. Four hours, and most of that time was spent watching myself fail at my skills.

It was still kinda fun, and it looked good, with some good ideas. I just wish there was quicker feedback. If we're to be struggling at the beginning, I'd like it to feel like a struggle, and not like a failure.

I was automatically put into a fairly developed server. I guess the new server is for paid accounts?

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 07:20:01 AM

I gave it another try yesterday. There were a few newbies around, and a few established players. It wasn't dead, but it wasn't swarming either. I spent four hours and had gathered some nuts and berries, wood for a fire, and was just about to find some clay to make my pottery bowl. Four hours, and most of that time was spent watching myself fail at my skills.

It was still kinda fun, and it looked good, with some good ideas. I just wish there was quicker feedback. If we're to be struggling at the beginning, I'd like it to feel like a struggle, and not like a failure.

I was automatically put into a fairly developed server. I guess the new server is for paid accounts?

I think this is correct.

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: January 15, 2009, 10:09:33 AM

New sign ups to Wurm will go to a brand new sandbox/tutorial server
New players will now need to be Premium to join the main servers
Existing Free to Play players get to stay on Jenn Kellon Home

From today all NEW players that sign up to Wurm will be immediately transported to a small Free to Play tutorial server with sandbox - the Land of Golden Valley.

They will be able to do the tutorials here and learn lots about Wurm in a smaller, more accessible land.

Once they are happy, they can then upgrade to premium and use the Portals which we are building on the server to transport themselves to their new lands of Jenn Kellon and Mol Rehan - the home lands and the Wild!

As time goes on, we will increase the amount of information available on this Entry Land, add ambassadors for the kingdoms, add audio to the tutorials to make them clearer and hopefully a little more fun, and many other developments.

The aim is to make getting into Wurm a little easier for the new player without taking away from the great challenges that can be posed on the main lands of Wurm.

There will be some restrictions - PvP will be disabled completely and the server will be neutral so that players can see examples of the peoples and towers from all kingdoms.
Jenn Kellon no longer free to play

Also from today, the main servers of Jenn Kellon Home, Mol Rehan Home and the Wild Server will only admit new players who are Premium.

However, because we appreciate that on Jenn Kellon we have had many Free to Play Wurmians who have contributed to the society, for the time being existing Free to Play users will be able to continue to play with our thanks. However, we would encourage them to upgrade to Premium as soon as they can.
Alts

For the moment, the same applies to Alts - but again, we would encourage players to upgrade their alts to premium as soon as they can.

Thanks for you patience while we make these needed changes and a few others we have waiting in the wings!

Link

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: January 15, 2009, 10:46:47 AM

I genuinely belly laughed at this pic, especially the last line of the chat box

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=187

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #20 on: January 15, 2009, 11:07:58 AM

I genuinely belly laughed at this pic, especially the last line of the chat box

http://wurmonline.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=187

That is the best thing I've read all day.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: January 15, 2009, 11:09:13 AM

That pig is hardcore!  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #22 on: January 15, 2009, 11:16:38 AM

4chan folks tried joining last week.  JK server went Tango in Uniform with 425 users.

"Me am play gods"
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #23 on: January 15, 2009, 11:27:50 AM

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.

You'd hope the spirit would at least call or something.

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

Yoru

Reply #24 on: January 15, 2009, 11:55:52 AM

I'm kind of glad this game still exists and terrified of the people that allow it to keep existing.

Edit: Oh, and I edited the title of the thread to be a little clearer about what game this is concerning. Sorry Bloodworth, it just saves people (e.g. me) some confusion.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 12:08:31 PM by Yoru »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: January 15, 2009, 12:19:47 PM

Np!

Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: January 16, 2009, 04:57:50 AM

If the GUI was less atrocious, it could be fun. I'm wearing out my right mouse button.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #27 on: January 16, 2009, 06:48:06 AM

I still have the odd nightmare about trying to build a campfire and having all the sticks I worked so hard to get burning up before I could start a fire with them.  I was distressed!  This was just about the first thing I did, too!  It traumatised me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Soln
Terracotta Army

the opportunity for evil is just delicious

Reply #28 on: January 16, 2009, 01:43:07 PM

I'm not playing WO because I'm too afraid my main will sneeze and incap himself.

Or that I'll get chub-rub from all the running around I do and DIE.

more power to these guys. I just find the learning curve too steep and wonder about where the fun is in all the simulation.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: January 18, 2009, 07:27:47 PM

I tried before they had the starter area, and I just tried it again in the starter area.

I have to say, the starter world is a really good idea. The game is basically impossible for a new player without it because everything is so built up arround where you start in the older worlds that you can hardly find anything to do. (all the land is fenced off and what not)

But the game still has a fatal flaw... it sucks... hard...

You need to be able to have the basic means to  sustain yourself right off the bat. And you don't. You have 24 hours in which the bartender dude will feed you. After that you need to get food on your own. But, to get food you have to kill and butcher animals. Killing them is hard enough, but to butcher them you need a butchers knife. Which you do not start out with. To make one you have to mine. To mine you have to first look for an ore vein (dont even ask) then you have to start a tunnel... which takes 50 attempts at 30sec per attempt.

Then you have to start mining the vein for ore. After you have 2 ore, you are so encumbered that you can barely move... So now you have to smelt the ore. So you cut down a tree... cut it into logs... shave kindling... start a fire... put the ore into the fire... and an hour later you have smelted the ore. No kidding... you stand there for an hour feeding logs on the fire.  A real life hour...

Now, remember I said how this area is nice because it hasn't been totally taken over by the regular players like the other worlds. But this wont last long. Despite the fact that those players pay for access to the other servers, they have all descended on this one like locusts because it's undeveloped. There are already roads and villages going up. You'd think they would at least be helpful, but to be honest they were some of the snottiest people I've met in an MMO (and that's saying a lot) They would either flat out refuse to answer any basic question or would refer me to the wurm wiki which is about as helpful as... well... here's an example, I asked how to find clay, and they got annoyed, told me I was a noob and refered me to the wiki: http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Clay

yea...

There are no animations for your actions... except for walking... which, well it just sucks
They've gone out of their way to make even the most basic tasks has horrendously annoying as possible.
Their community is terrible. At one point I started mining in a tunnel that was already started and someone called a GM on me for mining "wrong" the GM said I wasn't violating any rules but maybe I should move along.
The death penalty is huge... you lose most of your items, and 1 point from every skill. (thats a lot)

I like the premise, but the execution is terrible.

oh, the sky looked nice.
peryn
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: January 18, 2009, 07:35:58 PM

I quit playing after I realized it would take me 10 hours to build a wall for my house. My life isn't so bad that I'd spend almost my entire day assembling a piece of wood.
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: January 18, 2009, 08:28:21 PM

You'd think they would at least be helpful, but to be honest they were some of the snottiest people I've met in an MMO (and that's saying a lot) They would either flat out refuse to answer any basic question or would refer me to the wurm wiki which is about as helpful as... well... here's an example, I asked how to find clay, and they got annoyed, told me I was a noob and refered me to the wiki: http://wurmonline.com/wiki/index.php?title=Clay

Sounds like ATITD. You could try the erroneous information trick. Ask a question, and if nobody answers, say "Aha, figured it out," then make some shit up. I'll bet the whole server will jump correct you.

raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: January 19, 2009, 03:08:37 AM

From what CharlieMopps said...

No. Just Fecking Fracking Fucking Hell no.

EQ just became the most user friendly MMO I've ever played.

Is this thing for MMMOO? (Massively Masochistic Multiplayer Online Only)

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
CharlieMopps
Terracotta Army

Reply #33 on: January 19, 2009, 06:45:02 AM

I actually left a lot out, there wasn't a moment of playing it that I ever thought that it was anything less than total crap. The only reason i kept playing was out of anger... I didn't want the horrible mechanics to defeat me.

But playing its like juggling hammers... just when you think you figure it out, you get smacked in the forehead again. After a while you're just too damned dizzy to keep trying.
Yoru

Reply #34 on: January 19, 2009, 09:32:27 AM

Hilarious. Most games get easier to play over time. This one? Apparently it got harder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  
Jump to: