Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:55:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  (Read 169110 times)
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #35 on: February 11, 2010, 01:15:15 AM

I tried this game.  Spent an entire Saturday foraging for food and trying to cut down trees and fashion the wood into kindling.  Then I had to go dig up some clay from a nearby riverbed and try to create a bowl to eat from.  Making the bowl took most of a Sunday, because the fire needs to be really hot for a very long time in order to turn your clay into pottery.  This necessitates of course a certain amount of wood on hand, which I didn't possess the first time, so then was forced to restart the process from scratch.  Keep in mind all your skills start at 0 so there was a great deal of failures for even the simplest task in every chain.  Even completing something as simple as a "bowl" with low skill ends up being a very shitty bowl that negatively affects its use.  When I tried to log in a few days later I discovered that the innkeeper had decided to stop subsidizing my rations.

This means that you have a window (72 hours I think) with which you must become self sufficient with regards to food or you're finished.  I don't think you actually die from hunger and thirst, but it will make it all but impossible to complete any tasks.  That window must be wisely used, as even a veteran newb such as myself doing a modicum of internet research couldn't quite manage to feed myself with anything more than some shitty nuts and berries soup that restored my hunger levels by 1%.  This means that for your average new player, your first week of playing will be dominated by simply trying to feed yourself.

Growing bored of trying to feed myself, I started mining into a hillside, and accidentally tunneled into a pre-existing mineshaft.  Thinking it was abandoned, I quickly annexed all of the worthwhile belongings until a rather angry chap demanded his goods back, which I obliged.  He then gave me some words of advice, namely stay the fuck out of other people's mines.  On the way back to the starting area a young bear cub attacked me and despite my best efforts, I was thoroughly savaged, and died.  

So yeah.  It's a pretty fucking hardcore game.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:16:57 AM by dusematic »
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #36 on: February 11, 2010, 06:16:00 AM

Your first mistake was probably giving the miner back his shit.  You should of ran since you were starving.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #37 on: February 11, 2010, 06:21:38 AM

SHOULD HAVE

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #38 on: February 11, 2010, 06:22:10 AM

owned
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #39 on: February 11, 2010, 06:46:59 AM

I tried this game.  Spent an entire Saturday foraging for food and trying to cut down trees and fashion the wood into kindling.  Then I had to go dig up some clay from a nearby riverbed and try to create a bowl to eat from.  Making the bowl took most of a Sunday, because the fire needs to be really hot for a very long time in order to turn your clay into pottery.  This necessitates of course a certain amount of wood on hand, which I didn't possess the first time, so then was forced to restart the process from scratch.  Keep in mind all your skills start at 0 so there was a great deal of failures for even the simplest task in every chain.  Even completing something as simple as a "bowl" with low skill ends up being a very shitty bowl that negatively affects its use.  When I tried to log in a few days later I discovered that the innkeeper had decided to stop subsidizing my rations.

This means that you have a window (72 hours I think) with which you must become self sufficient with regards to food or you're finished.  I don't think you actually die from hunger and thirst, but it will make it all but impossible to complete any tasks.  That window must be wisely used, as even a veteran newb such as myself doing a modicum of internet research couldn't quite manage to feed myself with anything more than some shitty nuts and berries soup that restored my hunger levels by 1%.  This means that for your average new player, your first week of playing will be dominated by simply trying to feed yourself.

Growing bored of trying to feed myself, I started mining into a hillside, and accidentally tunneled into a pre-existing mineshaft.  Thinking it was abandoned, I quickly annexed all of the worthwhile belongings until a rather angry chap demanded his goods back, which I obliged.  He then gave me some words of advice, namely stay the fuck out of other people's mines.  On the way back to the starting area a young bear cub attacked me and despite my best efforts, I was thoroughly savaged, and died.  

So yeah.  It's a pretty fucking hardcore game.

That would be why we added the fasting system, once you reach zero in food, you will begin to fast, at that point your food bar is full again, and all actions go at a normal pace again (down side it this eats away at your fat layer). We also removed bears from the Golden valley server, as most could not penetrate the bear defense rating. We have been having talks of removing the golden valley server and putting new players back on the premium servers, the main reason is our older player base works better at helping new players, than a server of new players attempting to solo the game :)

My best advice for any new player is, to hire yourself out for food and a fishing pole (something we may add to starting equipment). Many players will feed and pay you for some of the more menial tasks, such as ditch digging or wood cutting.

I also happen tot think a lot of new players get very confused at the pace of this game, most likely you should have made the fire, then gathered wood, made the bowl tossed it on the fire, then set out to gather more wood and forage some more. I see to many players gather everything, then attempt to sit there near the fire, starving, doing nothing while it cooks. The game is designed for multitasking, done right, you never run out of things to do.

However, new user experience is something I have personally been advocating change for internally.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:51:11 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
IainC
Developers

Wargaming.net

Reply #40 on: February 11, 2010, 06:49:52 AM

Many players will feed and pay you for some of the more menial tasks, such as ditch digging or wood cutting.

Ditch Digging Online? Fuck yeah sign me up!

- And in stranger Iains, even Death may die -

SerialForeigner Photography.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: February 11, 2010, 06:51:29 AM

Many players will feed and pay you for some of the more menial tasks, such as ditch digging or wood cutting.

Ditch Digging Online? Fuck yeah sign me up!

lol.

We have many activities for many people, however you would be surprised at some players love of Terraforming.

Terraforming in Wurm Online
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 06:55:26 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: February 11, 2010, 07:19:35 AM

You keep saying "we."  Are you affiliated with the developer in some way or do you just mean it the way people say "we won" when talking about their favorite sports teams?

Edit:

Also, it's all fine and dandy that if you're an expert at the game and you know exactly how to proceed to make things that multitasking is an option (although this does assume no one will steal your shit as you roam around doing other things and leaving it unattended--newbs don't exactly have fenced in enclosures) that best presents itself.  The problem is that making your own tools to make your own implements out of natural resources to cook your own food in a virtual world with a crude interface isn't exactly obvious for the un-initiated.  There should at the very least be some sort of encyclopedia (think Civilization) and preferably a guided system of quests/tutorial/etc. to get a new player on his feet.  Otherwise I dig the concept of the game.  It's just that trying to play it feels like studying or working rather than playing as you're immediately forced into subsistence foraging just to survive.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:27:36 AM by dusematic »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: February 11, 2010, 07:20:55 AM

You keep saying "we."  Are you affiliated with the developer in some way or do you just mean it the way people say "we won" when talking about their favorite sports teams?

I am for about 6 months now, a developer. Specifically, I now have the role of lead artist and content manger. Other than that, I am currently helping to design the tutorial server that will replace golden valley. I hope, it will be a much better introduction to the basic mechanics.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:22:52 AM by Mrbloodworth »

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: February 11, 2010, 07:29:41 AM

I am for about 6 months now, a developer. Specifically, I now have the role of lead artist and content manger. Other than that, I am currently helping to design the tutorial server that will replace golden valley. I hope, it will be a much better introduction to the basic mechanics.

That's cool.  Let it be known when the new tutorial server is up and I'll hop on and give it a try.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 07:34:05 AM

That's cool.  Let it be known when the new tutorial server is up and I'll hop on and give it a try.

I would appreciate it. Currently though, we are reworking rules for things like deeds and such so that the potential for grieving is minimized when we start placing new players on the "live" server.

If its any consolation, your experiences is the same as my own, before joining the team I spent about a month playing as a normal user. Most of your complaints are also my own. But I will say, if it was not for other players lending a hand, I would have never made it very long as well. This is the main issue with the separate free to play server, almost all users are trying to go it alone, in a very community based game. With exceptions.

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 07:41:49 AM

My brother played this game and he lasted a couple weeks instead of the weekend I managed.  He had himself a little hut surrounded by a fence with a gate.  He even had his own mine replete with its own gate.  He was really excited about the particular way  he had terraced his land that overlooked a bluff, with the mineshaft going down into the rock.  I think he quit because he felt like he had poured a substantial effort into the game and was rewarded by still only managing to produce shit-grade items.  

I think getting the newbs corralled on the same server as everyone else is a good idea.  I only ever encountered one other person in my time playing, and he wasn't very happy with me (I had no idea you could tunnel into other people's mines! I swear!)

The best thing about this game is probably that I never heard anyone talk about things they did in a game with such a sense of ownership.  It was as if he daily surveyed what he had wrought and was moved.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 07:43:59 AM by dusematic »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 07:50:30 AM

Something I have been addressing on the visuals side is visual distinction in items. A good number of wood items now reflect the wood used in its construction, they also now have visual aids to identify decay. Its been a reward unto its self for many. I also have been going through and improving many models and textures, and addressing some use issues, like items to small they go under the terrain.

Samples:

The main reason though, for placing players with those that are, well, invested, is because our stable player base is generally more helpful, they will throw high quality meals at you, give you tools and advice. Its best to return the favor in work, or some other means. Yes the life of a hermit will increase the difficulty ten fold.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:01:40 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: February 11, 2010, 07:51:19 AM

SHOULD HAVE

You should of made that bigger.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #49 on: February 11, 2010, 08:01:00 AM

You should learn how to use contractions and stop fagging up the thread.  Deal with your shame on your own time.
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: February 11, 2010, 08:03:44 AM

Something I have been addressing on the visuals side is visual distinction in items. A good number of wood items now reflect the wood used in its construction, they also now have visual aids to identify decay. Its been a reward unto its self for many. I also have been going through and improving many models and textures, and addressing some use issues, like items to small they go under the terrain.

Samples:

The main reason though, for placing players with those that are, well, invested, is because our stable player base is generally more helpful, they will throw high quality meals at you, give you tools and advice. Its best to return the favor in work, or some other means. Yes the life of a hermit will increase the difficulty ten fold.

That's good shit.  It did seem there was a dearth of art when I played, and not nearly enough unique graphics.  I also like idea of visual decay aids and so forth.  If any game needed stuff like that this is she.

Edit:  Do they have different models for avatars now or are all males and females still identical?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:06:06 AM by dusematic »
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: February 11, 2010, 08:07:53 AM

Edit:

Also, it's all fine and dandy that if you're an expert at the game and you know exactly how to proceed to make things that multitasking is an option (although this does assume no one will steal your shit as you roam around doing other things and leaving it unattended--newbs don't exactly have fenced in enclosures) that best presents itself.  The problem is that making your own tools to make your own implements out of natural resources to cook your own food in a virtual world with a crude interface isn't exactly obvious for the un-initiated.  There should at the very least be some sort of encyclopedia (think Civilization) and preferably a guided system of quests/tutorial/etc. to get a new player on his feet.  Otherwise I dig the concept of the game.  It's just that trying to play it feels like studying or working rather than playing as you're immediately forced into subsistence foraging just to survive.

Just read your edit. I completely agree with you.

When ever i can get some programmer time, I attempt to add helpful things, one such thing is the in game wiki search. Pressing F1 (i think) will open a small text field that will allow you to search for any item in game. Also, right clicking any item in game and pressing "whats this", also helps. This is the kind of thing i want to empower the player with in the tutorial. Instead of "Spawn in bear den, good luck!".

But, I agree. The GUI is something I have been wanting to address, visually and function wise. But its a small team, and we don't always agree, and something take priority.

I would post my GUI concepts, but I haven't made them public to anyone yet.

Edit:  Do they have different models for avatars now or are all males and females still identical?

I will say. They are currently basic. However there is a male and female for each kingdom. Engine limitations stop/slow me from tackling that subject. Thankfully our client guys are looking into it. Keep in mind, this is a home brew engine, that is missing many, MANY things I would have taken for granted in a more modern engine. Its been an adjustment for me.

They didn't even really have a test server until I showed up.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 08:17:06 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: February 11, 2010, 08:10:36 AM

dusematic
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: February 11, 2010, 08:14:38 AM

Edit:

Also, it's all fine and dandy that if you're an expert at the game and you know exactly how to proceed to make things that multitasking is an option (although this does assume no one will steal your shit as you roam around doing other things and leaving it unattended--newbs don't exactly have fenced in enclosures) that best presents itself.  The problem is that making your own tools to make your own implements out of natural resources to cook your own food in a virtual world with a crude interface isn't exactly obvious for the un-initiated.  There should at the very least be some sort of encyclopedia (think Civilization) and preferably a guided system of quests/tutorial/etc. to get a new player on his feet.  Otherwise I dig the concept of the game.  It's just that trying to play it feels like studying or working rather than playing as you're immediately forced into subsistence foraging just to survive.

Just read your edit. I completely agree with you.

When ever i can get some programmer time, I attempt to add helpful things, one such thing is the in game wiki search. Pressing F1 (i think) will open a small text field that will allow you to search for any item in game. Also, right clicking any item in game and pressing "whats this", also helps. This is the kind of thing i want to empower the player with in the tutorial. Instead of "Spawn in bear den, good luck!".

But, I agree. The GUI is something I have been wanting to address, visually and function wise. But its a small team, and we don't always agree, and something take priority.

I would post my GUI concepts, but I haven't made them public to anyone yet.

Edit:  Do they have different models for avatars now or are all males and females still identical?

I will say. They are currently basic. However there is a male and female for each kingdom. Engine limitations stop/slow me from tackling that subject. Thankfully our client guys are looking into it. Keep in mind, this is a home brew engine, that is missing many, MANY things I would have taken for granted in a more modern engine. Its been an adjustment for me.

I don't mean to come off dismissive of your efforts guy.  It sounds like you've already made great strides since last I played with such meager resources at your disposal, quite impressive.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: February 11, 2010, 08:19:19 AM

dusematic, its not a problem, really. I have had to deal with worse during my time on this project, trust me :) I also didn't take it that way at all.

Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #55 on: February 11, 2010, 09:08:15 AM

I like the new stuff. Big, fat, and warm. Wurm always looked sorta bleak to me, which isn't fun to play in.

Count me among those who didn't stick around because of unforgiving newbie experiences. I love survival-based games, love resource management, love frontiersman style gameplay. This just frustrated me because I failed and didn't understand why.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: February 11, 2010, 09:26:37 AM

I like the new stuff. Big, fat, and warm.

Thanks, the game does have this "Chubby" aesthetic I'm trying to maintain. I have gotten a few more contributors as well recently, so more good stuff other than my own should be coming down the pipe.

Also, if anyone is a java coder, we have need of a COLLADA loader and render, I hear the gig pays, unlike my position :)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 09:28:32 AM by Mrbloodworth »

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: February 11, 2010, 10:24:27 AM

You should learn how to use contractions and stop fagging up the thread.  Deal with your shame on your own time.

And you can promptly go fuck yourself.
tazelbain
Terracotta Army

tazelbain

Reply #58 on: February 11, 2010, 11:58:56 AM

Thanks, the game does have this "Chubby" aesthetic I'm trying to maintain. I have gotten a few more contributors as well recently, so more good stuff other than my own should be coming down the pipe.
Why are you working on Wurm?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2010, 01:58:56 PM by tazelbain »

"Me am play gods"
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #59 on: February 11, 2010, 12:06:43 PM

why are you working on Wurm?

For a few reasons, to add to the list of my published games. To pad my portfolio with models and such. To gain more experience with a live playerbase. To further my hobbyist career. To practice my modeling skills while having a purpose. To gain more experience working with online collaborative environments.

Ghambit
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: February 11, 2010, 01:00:09 PM

hobbyist career is an oxymoron

"See, the beauty of webgames is that I can play them on my phone while I'm plowing your mom."  -Samwise
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: February 11, 2010, 01:07:55 PM

I know right.

Xilren's Twin

Reply #62 on: February 11, 2010, 01:25:52 PM

I know right.

Actually in this case, updating the graphics and working on the behind the scenes may well be more fun that the "game" itself  Ohhhhh, I see.

More power who want this level of sandboxing but the older i get the less time i have to pore into something this intensive.  If the bulk of the time spend in game is not an actual fun activty of some kind no thank you.
i.e. if things like foraging, digging holes,smelting and such were mini games ala puzzle pirates type rather than just watch and wait, that i could get behind. 

"..but I'm by no means normal." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: February 11, 2010, 02:11:23 PM

The first telling of ATitD was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever despite the hardcore grind.  I really wanted to love Wurm, but you all nailed the shortcoming of it.  You can't seem to get ahead and there just isn't any feedback to help you understand why.  I'd like to go back and give the game a second try, but the thought of wasting countless hours on a failure just seems too much like another job.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #64 on: February 11, 2010, 03:29:38 PM

And you can promptly go fuck yourself.

Stop.
Cadaverine
Terracotta Army

Reply #65 on: February 11, 2010, 04:38:23 PM

I tried it just now, and the kindly NPC told me to go chop down a tree, which I dutifully set out to do.

Except every tree I tried to chop down, it told me would hurt my karma, and that wasn't allowed on that server.  New land speed record for removing a game from my computer.

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats.
Terracotta Army

You call it an accident. I call it justice.

Reply #66 on: February 11, 2010, 04:56:51 PM

I tried it just now, and the kindly NPC told me to go chop down a tree, which I dutifully set out to do.

Except every tree I tried to chop down, it told me would hurt my karma, and that wasn't allowed on that server.  New land speed record for removing a game from my computer.

Seriously. Of course, this game would make my real life seem downright blissful by comparison. I have hard enough time with real life and all its electric power, gasoline engines, running water, and grocery stores... I could not even imagine lasting an hour in this game. That said, it does sound VERY intriguing - in the same way rotten.com used to for me.

Does any one know where the love of God goes...When the waves turn the minutes to hours? -G. Lightfoot
schild
Administrator

Reply #67 on: February 11, 2010, 05:17:56 PM

Grats Bloodworth, even if the game is an unfocused weird clump of a bunch of outdated design methodologies and other strange decisions.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #68 on: February 11, 2010, 05:31:46 PM

Sounds like someone Bloodworth'd the whole game.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #69 on: February 11, 2010, 08:26:26 PM

Good luck, MrB!  I'm very close to being almost certain that you'll make it fun!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Wurm Online: New land opened, Free to Play tutorial server/sandbox  
Jump to: