Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:56:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 123 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 1186237 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4025 on: August 25, 2017, 02:07:18 PM

Don't crimp or bend cat6 if you go that route. It's far less pliable than cat5e, so watch how you bend it around the room corners.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4026 on: August 25, 2017, 02:44:11 PM

Don't crimp or bend cat6 if you go that route. It's far less pliable than cat5e, so watch how you bend it around the room corners.

You don't want to "crimp" any type of cable, ever. That leads to broken conductors.

And while Cat6 is not as flexible as Cat5 due to how the cable is constructed, patch cables made of stranded cable will always be more flexible than ones made of solid.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4027 on: August 26, 2017, 11:00:13 AM

I've got an off the wall question here that maybe should go somewhere else, but here goes.

Anybody know how to get rid of a Google Reminder that won't go away?

Months ago I was planning ahead to cook, so I left a reminder for myself to take the meat out of the freezer to defrost when I got home. Google kinda botched the text of the reminder, so I deleted the original and replaced it with a more grammatical version. Somehow, I managed to confuse it.

So now every once in a while my phone chirps and tells me, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer." It has a done button, but when I press it the reminder will only go away for: 1) a few minutes, 2) days, 3) sometimes weeks. Then boom, out of the blue, chime, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

It's starting to creep me out.

The reminder does not list at all in my history, so can't delete it there. Deleting the Google News cache got rid of it for maybe a month. I thought it was truly gone, then boom, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

Web searches for this problem have given me nada. There has got to be something simple I'm missing -- anybody have any help?
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4028 on: August 28, 2017, 07:28:35 AM

I'm just guessing -

Log into google calendar.  Click to show your task list if it is hidden.  Look for a recurring task and delete it or try clicking 'show completed tasks' and delete any ones in there.  Also search your calendar for it in case it's setup as an event, and if so delete it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4029 on: August 28, 2017, 10:37:16 AM

I'm just guessing -

Log into google calendar.  Click to show your task list if it is hidden.  Look for a recurring task and delete it or try clicking 'show completed tasks' and delete any ones in there.  Also search your calendar for it in case it's setup as an event, and if so delete it.

Thanks for the help. Still stumped though. I can even find the old corrected version in the completed tasks ("Take the meat out of the freezer," Aug 2016 -- I've been putting up with this for a year?). This weird "ghost" reminder is not listed anywhere until it shows up.

I'm starting to think that Google AI has developed a really bad sense of humor...
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4030 on: August 28, 2017, 11:03:27 AM

I guess iPhone I uses google calendar and Android uses the google app.  Any chance you're on Android?  Best of luck, that would drive me crazy!

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3122344?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4031 on: August 28, 2017, 11:13:38 AM

I guess iPhone I uses google calendar and Android uses the google app.  Any chance you're on Android?  Best of luck, that would drive me crazy!

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3122344?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1

Yep, on Android.

Guess I'll have to file a support ticket, for all the good that will do. Or just learn to live with "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

There are worse problems I guess...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4032 on: August 30, 2017, 07:22:40 AM

Library site hacked. Fucking Russkies.
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4033 on: September 07, 2017, 03:24:59 PM

I'm getting an Invalid Security Certificate error when trying to visit f13 on my desktop. Phone and laptop work fine. I had to add a security exception in order to get here; not sure if there's something I fucked up but it just started happening randomly.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4034 on: September 07, 2017, 03:29:24 PM

I'm getting an Invalid Security Certificate error when trying to visit f13 on my desktop. Phone and laptop work fine. I had to add a security exception in order to get here; not sure if there's something I fucked up but it just started happening randomly.
Working as intended awesome, for real

We don't have a proper SSL cert for f13.net at the moment -- just the generic self-signed one that's created as part of the control panel that came with the server.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #4035 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:25 PM

I'm hoping someone here can help me with something that has me stumped;

One of the computers on my network (I have three) isn't able to even come close to the upload speeds it should. It should be getting 150/150 down/up, but is getting 174/0.6 down/up. The other two computers on the network are getting a consistent 174/148 down/up.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it seems to be a Windows issue and not a hardware issue as when I booted into a portable OS (Ubuntu) I was getting the proper speeds; 172/146. I've looked at the various settings I can find and compared them across all three computers and they are all identical (all of them are wired and using Windows 7).

This kind of thing is way outside my wheelhouse and I haven't found much via google that would seem to help. The problem has been on-going for months now -- I'm not entirely sure when it started. Anyone got an idea?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4036 on: October 19, 2017, 07:58:29 PM

Probably a driver issue. See if you can find an updated one for your network/wireless card?

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4037 on: October 19, 2017, 08:12:32 PM

Sounds like a duplex issue, like your card is set to half duplex.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #4038 on: October 20, 2017, 11:20:35 PM

Turned out neither was the issue (drivers are one of the first thing I check, and it was set to Full Duplex). To be honest, I still don't know what the exact issue was. I fixed it by doing something in the router settings. I fiddled with it for a few hours, rebooted the computer and.. problem solved.
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4039 on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:25 AM

I'm having a strange issue on one of my PCs.   It works fine all day but then when I wake up in the morning it's powered off and will not power back on.  Even holding the power button down does nothing.  When it's in this weird state, the media reader on the front still has it's light on, so it still has some amount of power going to it.  If I unplug the PC for 10 seconds or so and then try, it powers right up.

The second time this happened, it booted to a bios corrupted screen and it had to restore the bios.

I'm not sure if it's a power supply or a motherboard issue.  I've had issues with an identical motherboard in one of my other PCs, so I'm leaning towards the motherboard just going bad.  Curious if anyone has an ideas.
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4040 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:35 PM

It's easier to swap out a power supply so I would do that first. Also if you aren't plugged into an UPS with AVR (preferably with sine wave output) I would do that too.
Morat20
Terracotta Army

Reply #4041 on: November 01, 2017, 07:15:52 PM

So this is more for my own personal edification, as the laptop's under warranty and so it's being fixed free of charge.

Hybrid drive and it's failing in the weirdest way. Sometimes it'll boot, sometimes it won't. It's sluggish as hell (and has been for awhile, possibly the whole time we've had it. That usual damn 100% hard drive usage thing. I'll fix it, and it'll come back). Anyways, SSD's portion's not popping up on the hardware menu when I run diagnostics, it's failing at least one of the hard drive diagnostics as well. Intel Rapid Storage Technology complained at least once that the SSD failed.

But....my experience with hard drives is the pretty much either work, or they don't.

So what's going on? Can the SSD fail independently? Bad card? Loose connection?

I mean my best guess is the SSD is dead, or at least not working properly and failing a lot, which would account for why it's randomly slow as shit but that I never seem to find bad sectors or a corrupt OS or any of the usual signs of hard drive failure, and why it generally boots.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #4042 on: November 02, 2017, 05:13:35 AM

I had one cosair ssd go funky just as you described. Turns out it was a failing seagate conventional drive on the same controller. Took it out, ssd has been fine for the past year.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4043 on: November 21, 2017, 02:03:52 PM

I'm completely lost on a family over the phone tech support.

1. User cleans dust and shit out of computer. Boots up. Gets ASUS "power surge detected" message. You are supposed to be able to access BIOS from this, when hitting F1 to access the rig just hangs indefinitely.

Things that don't help:
-reseating everything.
-boot without GPU
-CMOS cleear

So to my layman brain it sounds like one of those shit is this PSU or Mobo things. To me trying a diff PSU is the obvious move.

BUT here's the "wtf does this mean" thing for me that I have to think has significance but I'm completely lost on:

I said "try with 1 stick of RAM" here are the results of messing w/ ram configs.
-either stick by itself in any of the 4 DIMMS = computer will not even complete power up, fans start to spin, power goes off thing happens
-the mobo manual
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LE/E7505-P8Z77-V_LE.pdf
recommends using the blue "high compatibility" DIMMS

BUT

the 2 sticks in the blue DIMMS no power up
the 2 sticks in the black DIMMS will power up but only with a specific ordering of sticks. So like Stick X in one of the DIMMS and Stick Y in the other.

what the fuck? I've honestly never come across odd shit like this when doing the 1 stick thing.

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4044 on: November 21, 2017, 04:08:36 PM

The one stick not working is weird, unless it's only the blue slots that can handle the single/odd sticks (1 or 3 sticks total) and both the blue slots are now bad.
Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4045 on: November 22, 2017, 07:33:46 PM

They say the blues are higher compat but 1 stick in any of the 4 is supposedly acceptable. But no single stick in any slot can post

Mystery to me but im expecting a report on what happens w a diff psu soon

A nation consists of its laws. A nation does not consist of its situation at a given time. If an individual's morals are situational, then that individual is without morals. If a nation's laws are situational, that nation has no laws, and soon isn't a nation.
-William Gibson
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4046 on: November 22, 2017, 07:37:50 PM

Can anyone suggest a wireless router for gaming and streaming tv (sling, netflix, etc) that is a decent bang-for-buck?

Currently have an ASUS NT 66U, so would need something that would be a decent upgrade.

Thanks.

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4047 on: November 22, 2017, 07:38:47 PM

I've had the Netgear AC1750 for about 6 months and have no complaints.

"i can't be a star citizen. they won't even give me a star green card"
Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4048 on: November 22, 2017, 08:47:55 PM

Can anyone suggest a wireless router for gaming and streaming tv (sling, netflix, etc) that is a decent bang-for-buck?

Currently have an ASUS NT 66U, so would need something that would be a decent upgrade.

Thanks.
I have the TP Link AC1900 Archer C9 and it's pretty nice (I matched it with a TP Link AC1200 Archer T4UH high gain adapter). Having the Gb port for the NAS was my main reason to get it, but the speeds are good. Recent talk here about vulnerabilities in pretty much all consumer routers saw me put the Mikrotik RouterBoard hAP AC on my wishlist.

Assuming you have upgraded your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3? I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 that bumped up my speeds nicely.
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #4049 on: November 22, 2017, 08:49:11 PM

Assuming you have upgraded your cable modem to a DOCSIS 3? I have a Motorola Surfboard SB6141 that bumped up my speeds nicely.

I did and thank you for the suggestions!

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4050 on: November 23, 2017, 03:30:59 AM

Mikrotik hAP AC: will cost you less than anything that looks like a spaceship, will be faster, and they update their software regularly.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:33:05 AM by Chimpy »

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
SurfD
Terracotta Army

Reply #4051 on: December 08, 2017, 08:31:04 PM

Wasn't sure where to ask this, so I figured here was about as good as anywhere else.

I am looking for an App / Widget / Gadget / whatever that will interact with a Google Sheets spreadsheet to give me the ability to build a simple, interactive, Button Based User Interface element for the Data in the sheet.   The end product I am looking to design is basically similar to an Othello Game board (except using hexes), where clicking on a grid hex will toggle the hex state, as well as toggle any adjoining hex states based on set conditions.  I pretty much have all the data and toggle relationship logic worked out, I just can't find any kind of solution to attaching it to a GUI that doesn't either look massively fucking ugly (I CAN do it entirely inside a Google Sheet, but the result is Intensely god awful to look at and needlessly complicated), or require me to pretty much teach myself an entire programming language just so I can build my own app.

Surely there must be SOME kind of already built app that lets me make something with interactive buttons that reference google sheet cells.....

Darwinism is the Gateway Science.
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4052 on: December 09, 2017, 09:32:57 AM

I have never seen anything like that - the closest thing I can think of is this bit of code we heavily modified for our use to rip the data out of the sheet and into a JSON blob: http://blog.pamelafox.org/2013/06/exporting-google-spreadsheet-as-json.html

But that would be working away from your problem, not towards it. Maybe it will spark and idea though.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4053 on: December 29, 2017, 11:00:35 AM

Once again I think I am making something relatively simple into something way harder than it has to be.

This is a networking issue. Here is what I have right now, stripped to fundamentals (sorry for the dropbox link, imgur is being a pain right now).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kg9cfgmygpza5bd/WhatIHaveNow.jpg?dl=0

The MBR1200 is actually a good cellular compatible modem/router that allows me to switch at will from multiple WAN sources, set up failover states, the whole nine yards. I can easily switch my internet source from EVDO to Satellite from the comfort of my sofa. The only problem is the way I have it set up now is that it is all or nothing, when I would rather have both networks operating side by side, like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvlq5fafn0v2og0/WhatIWant.jpg?dl=0

What kind of switch would work in the Huh? spot? Is this thing what I want? Or some other hub or switch?

Hoax
Terracotta Army

l33t kiddie

Reply #4054 on: December 29, 2017, 01:32:14 PM

They say the blues are higher compat but 1 stick in any of the 4 is supposedly acceptable. But no single stick in any slot can post

Mystery to me but im expecting a report on what happens w a diff psu soon

Something died on the mobo, haven't been able to figure out what/why/how but swapping PSU was not a fix swapping out mobo for a replacement (same board) fixed it EZ.

-William Gibson
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4055 on: December 30, 2017, 06:53:56 AM

Once again I think I am making something relatively simple into something way harder than it has to be.

This is a networking issue. Here is what I have right now, stripped to fundamentals (sorry for the dropbox link, imgur is being a pain right now).

The MBR1200 is actually a good cellular compatible modem/router that allows me to switch at will from multiple WAN sources, set up failover states, the whole nine yards. I can easily switch my internet source from EVDO to Satellite from the comfort of my sofa. The only problem is the way I have it set up now is that it is all or nothing, when I would rather have both networks operating side by side, like this:

What kind of switch would work in the Huh? spot? Is this thing what I want? Or some other hub or switch?

You need a load balancer, not a switch. Search for "WAN load balancing" on google for more details.

You can probably do it with a Mikrotik since they are mega feature rich but balancing across separate links that go to different providers and use different technologies is always a pain in the ass to get right and for a home use case is basically way more hassle than it is worth. When I worked at an ISP we did some load balancing and out network engineers had to tweak shit daily to fix issues our customers at those sites were having.

Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4056 on: December 30, 2017, 08:49:18 AM

You need a load balancer, not a switch. Search for "WAN load balancing" on google for more details.

You can probably do it with a Mikrotik since they are mega feature rich but balancing across separate links that go to different providers and use different technologies is always a pain in the ass to get right and for a home use case is basically way more hassle than it is worth. When I worked at an ISP we did some load balancing and out network engineers had to tweak shit daily to fix issues our customers at those sites were having.

Thanks for taking a look at this Chimpy -- I know I can come up with some really oddball home use cases. The thing is I can achieve pretty much what I want by physically walking upstairs and swapping some cables around. I was hoping for some type of switchboard contraption that would automate the process.

Googling and searching for WAN load balancing on Newegg takes me right back to the Dual Wan Router that I put in the link. It looks like some cheapy Chinese knockoff but it's on sale for fifty bucks. One complication is that I have to use the Cradlepoint MBR1200 router to connect to the cellular receiver, which means I'd have to go Cellular receiver => MBR1200 => Dual Wan Router, which I guess would work, even though it seriously under utilizes the Cradlepoint.

Do you see any reason that sort of daisy chain wouldn't work?

Again, thanks for glancing at this. I know any professional who actually looked at my home setup would probably run away screaming.

why so serious?

Edit for clarity: With the setup I have right now I can already switch at will between one internet source and another using the Cradlepoint, but the problem is it switches the entire network. I want to have two networks running simultaneously, but pick and choose which one I want to hook up to from the entertainment system. Obviously if I left everything wireless that would be easy, but my house is sprawling and I already have a cable ran, so I'd like to use it. Plus, streaming just generally sucks with WiFi anyway.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:00:55 PM by Mandella »
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4057 on: December 30, 2017, 10:45:06 AM

Call me old fashioned but if I ever felt a need to have different upstream providers I would just physically switch the cables as necessary because the only ways to make things "easy to switch" requires an amount of work and expense on hardware that I am not willing to invest.

You should move somewhere with better internet options.  why so serious?

Sky
Terracotta Army

Reply #4058 on: January 02, 2018, 06:48:22 AM

Streaming what? I'm only streaming 1080p video, but it's fine over wifi.

edit: with good transceivers on both ends. Fiancee has a crappy one in her laptop and struggles a bit.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 06:50:00 AM by Sky »
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4059 on: January 02, 2018, 09:47:52 AM

Streaming what? I'm only streaming 1080p video, but it's fine over wifi.

edit: with good transceivers on both ends. Fiancee has a crappy one in her laptop and struggles a bit.

Game streaming, which requires a lot of back and forth of course. I have a gaming rig set up in my office that I stream to a microPC connected to the media center in the living room. Works pretty well as long as I keep it plugged in. That said, I could beef up my wifi, add another repeater or maybe even go the whole mesh route, but I already got this ethernet cable running through the walls, and games stream through it pretty well lagless right now. I just want to have the best of all worlds.

I think I do have it figured out, just waiting on a part.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 123 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: