Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2017, 09:33:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
Donate! | Subscribe! | Shop: Amazon

***DONATION DRIVE 2 HAS BEGUN:
CLICK HERE TO BURN MONEY***
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  (Read 383637 times)
Hawkbit
Terracotta Army

Like a Klansman in the ghetto.

Reply #4025 on: August 25, 2017, 04:07:18 PM

Don't crimp or bend cat6 if you go that route. It's far less pliable than cat5e, so watch how you bend it around the room corners.
Chimpy
Terracotta Army

Reply #4026 on: August 25, 2017, 04:44:11 PM

Don't crimp or bend cat6 if you go that route. It's far less pliable than cat5e, so watch how you bend it around the room corners.

You don't want to "crimp" any type of cable, ever. That leads to broken conductors.

And while Cat6 is not as flexible as Cat5 due to how the cable is constructed, patch cables made of stranded cable will always be more flexible than ones made of solid.

'Reality' is the only word in the language that should always be used in quotes.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4027 on: August 26, 2017, 01:00:13 PM

I've got an off the wall question here that maybe should go somewhere else, but here goes.

Anybody know how to get rid of a Google Reminder that won't go away?

Months ago I was planning ahead to cook, so I left a reminder for myself to take the meat out of the freezer to defrost when I got home. Google kinda botched the text of the reminder, so I deleted the original and replaced it with a more grammatical version. Somehow, I managed to confuse it.

So now every once in a while my phone chirps and tells me, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer." It has a done button, but when I press it the reminder will only go away for: 1) a few minutes, 2) days, 3) sometimes weeks. Then boom, out of the blue, chime, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

It's starting to creep me out.

The reminder does not list at all in my history, so can't delete it there. Deleting the Google News cache got rid of it for maybe a month. I thought it was truly gone, then boom, "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

Web searches for this problem have given me nada. There has got to be something simple I'm missing -- anybody have any help?
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4028 on: August 28, 2017, 09:28:35 AM

I'm just guessing -

Log into google calendar.  Click to show your task list if it is hidden.  Look for a recurring task and delete it or try clicking 'show completed tasks' and delete any ones in there.  Also search your calendar for it in case it's setup as an event, and if so delete it.
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4029 on: August 28, 2017, 12:37:16 PM

I'm just guessing -

Log into google calendar.  Click to show your task list if it is hidden.  Look for a recurring task and delete it or try clicking 'show completed tasks' and delete any ones in there.  Also search your calendar for it in case it's setup as an event, and if so delete it.

Thanks for the help. Still stumped though. I can even find the old corrected version in the completed tasks ("Take the meat out of the freezer," Aug 2016 -- I've been putting up with this for a year?). This weird "ghost" reminder is not listed anywhere until it shows up.

I'm starting to think that Google AI has developed a really bad sense of humor...
Druzil
Terracotta Army

Reply #4030 on: August 28, 2017, 01:03:27 PM

I guess iPhone I uses google calendar and Android uses the google app.  Any chance you're on Android?  Best of luck, that would drive me crazy!

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3122344?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1
Mandella
Terracotta Army

Reply #4031 on: August 28, 2017, 01:13:38 PM

I guess iPhone I uses google calendar and Android uses the google app.  Any chance you're on Android?  Best of luck, that would drive me crazy!

https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/3122344?co=GENIE.Platform%3DAndroid&oco=1

Yep, on Android.

Guess I'll have to file a support ticket, for all the good that will do. Or just learn to live with "Tonight to take the meat out of the freezer."

There are worse problems I guess...
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #4032 on: August 30, 2017, 09:22:40 AM

Library site hacked. Fucking Russkies.

Rendakor
Terracotta Army

Reply #4033 on: September 07, 2017, 05:24:59 PM

I'm getting an Invalid Security Certificate error when trying to visit f13 on my desktop. Phone and laptop work fine. I had to add a security exception in order to get here; not sure if there's something I fucked up but it just started happening randomly.

Check out my podcast: ADD&D, Attention Deficit Dungeons & Dragons!
"I think it's time for a dose of F13 RED PILL MOTHER FUCKERS" ~cosapi
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4034 on: September 07, 2017, 05:29:24 PM

I'm getting an Invalid Security Certificate error when trying to visit f13 on my desktop. Phone and laptop work fine. I had to add a security exception in order to get here; not sure if there's something I fucked up but it just started happening randomly.
Working as intended awesome, for real

We don't have a proper SSL cert for f13.net at the moment -- just the generic self-signed one that's created as part of the control panel that came with the server.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #4035 on: October 19, 2017, 09:30:25 PM

I'm hoping someone here can help me with something that has me stumped;

One of the computers on my network (I have three) isn't able to even come close to the upload speeds it should. It should be getting 150/150 down/up, but is getting 174/0.6 down/up. The other two computers on the network are getting a consistent 174/148 down/up.

I have no idea why this is the case, but it seems to be a Windows issue and not a hardware issue as when I booted into a portable OS (Ubuntu) I was getting the proper speeds; 172/146. I've looked at the various settings I can find and compared them across all three computers and they are all identical (all of them are wired and using Windows 7).

This kind of thing is way outside my wheelhouse and I haven't found much via google that would seem to help. The problem has been on-going for months now -- I'm not entirely sure when it started. Anyone got an idea?
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #4036 on: October 19, 2017, 09:58:29 PM

Probably a driver issue. See if you can find an updated one for your network/wireless card?

- Viin
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #4037 on: October 19, 2017, 10:12:32 PM

Sounds like a duplex issue, like your card is set to half duplex.
Ceryse
Terracotta Army

Reply #4038 on: Today at 01:20:35 AM

Turned out neither was the issue (drivers are one of the first thing I check, and it was set to Full Duplex). To be honest, I still don't know what the exact issue was. I fixed it by doing something in the router settings. I fiddled with it for a few hours, rebooted the computer and.. problem solved.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  PC/Console Gaming  |  Topic: Quick [tech] Questions Thread  
Jump to: