Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:33:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Dark Knight  (Read 99239 times)
Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #315 on: October 07, 2008, 06:39:23 PM

In that case, I hope you never make a film.  Ever.  Even a wedding video.

Fan of camp much?

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #316 on: October 07, 2008, 07:35:06 PM

For what its worth, although the movie itself was unbelievably shitty, I liked Jim Carrey as the Riddler. 

Villains who haven`t been used...hmm.  I don't think Bane or Deadshot has enough heft to carry a Batman movie, especially something that has to meet the high expectations of Dark Knight.  Same with Catwoman, although I can see her getting some sort of cameo.  Clayface could work, especially if they follow TAS and its Clayface storyline.  If Arnold hadn't fucked up Freeze so recently, I'd say the same thing about him and his TAS portrayal.

Pronouncements about used characters aside, I think they'll go Riddler.  Maybe a Clayface cameo (although they seem to be staying away from the real scifi elements) as a henchmen, probably more likely a Deadshot cameo with his capture as a movie opener.  Maybe Killer Croc as a wrestler with a horrific skin disease, if they want to let the CGI boys play.  I also think the Mad Hatter could do well as a Riddler henchman/associate- he's always been one of my favorite villains and I've always felt he was underused.   

« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 07:41:22 PM by Triforcer »

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #317 on: October 08, 2008, 01:21:31 AM

That Spirit flick looks pretty underwhelming to me... Wish he didn't take the Sin City direction so much.

Clayface would be really, really cool to see in a movie, but he's way out there compared to the strict criminal theme Nolan has tapped into so far.

Pulling off material for a third Batman is going to be harder than even the fact that he found a good Joker.
Triforcer
Terracotta Army

Reply #318 on: October 08, 2008, 02:05:05 AM

That Spirit flick looks pretty underwhelming to me... Wish he didn't take the Sin City direction so much.

Clayface would be really, really cool to see in a movie, but he's way out there compared to the strict criminal theme Nolan has tapped into so far.

Pulling off material for a third Batman is going to be harder than even the fact that he found a good Joker.

This may be geekdom, but has there been any hint in the movies that superpowers exist in the rebooted Batman movie universe?  References to Metropolis, etc.?  Seeing Superman on TV every day or reading about some maniac who fell in acid and can spit fire in the newspaper would (you'd think) result in people less panicky about one nonsuperpowered person. 

All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu.  This is the truth!  This is my belief! At least for now...
Merusk
Terracotta Army

Badge Whore

Reply #319 on: October 08, 2008, 09:42:38 AM

There's been no references to Metropolis at all that I can recall. Not even in the background noise.

Villian-wise there's still Killer Croc & Scarface as well.  I thought of the Hatter earlier, too, but Tri already mentioned him.  He'd be really good without being too out-there on the sci-fantasy stuff like Clayface.

The past cannot be changed. The future is yet within your power.
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

the Confederate flag underneath the stone in my class ring

Reply #320 on: October 08, 2008, 09:57:53 AM

That either needs to be in green, or you need to state that you know fuckall about the Spirit character.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #321 on: October 08, 2008, 04:17:25 PM

Uh, OK.. I know fuckall about the Spirit character.

Hmm, was that supposed hard to admit or something? Not sure why that has to invalidate my opinion on a movie trailer either. It looks weak to me. That is that. I know enough about the Spirit to know who he is, but what I'm commenting on is the green screened Sin City look. I'm already tired of it. I don't want to see a movie like it ever again..except perhaps the Sin City sequel.
Ironwood
Terracotta Army

Reply #322 on: October 09, 2008, 12:12:37 AM

Actually, I feel the same way Stray, but I remain to be convinced.

"Mr Soft Owl has Seen Some Shit." - Sun Tzu
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #323 on: October 09, 2008, 07:18:17 AM

The problem with you saying that about the Spirit trailer is that the Spirit character is pretty much where Frank Miller got the entire visual concept of Sin City from. Will Eisner was doing things with blacks and whites and city scapes and crime noir dramas in the Spirit 40 years before Miller ever touched on those aesthetic themes in his original Daredevil comics, much less 50 years later in Sin City. In other words, it's like saying Warhammer Online ripped off World of Warcraft. You are ignorant of the original source material, hence criticizing the trailer for looking like Sin City makes you sound ignorant.

Frankly, were the director to do anything BUT a Sin City-esque style on the Spirit movie would be a serious injustice to the character. Here, edumacate yourself. Reading the Spirit should be required in school. Bearing in mind it was written and drawn in the 40's for syndicated newspapers, it tackled some seriously dark, adult subjects maturely.

stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #324 on: October 09, 2008, 07:28:11 AM

Dude. You're a fanatic!  awesome, for real

And the Spirit comic panels look nothing like that movie btw. They still make use of more colors than just black, white, and red (which is how the Sin City movie can be generalized as... and this Spirit flick now). They didn't have black in printings back then though.. in any comic. Totally different look and feel for the blacks, if you're gonna get literal about comic comparisons. It's not quite a replication of the comics.

Anyways, fuck all of this. I just don't like the trailer. It looks too close to Sin City - the movie  (which didn't quite replicate the Sin City comics either). I'm making a simple statement about cinematography, and not liking things to be too derivative...same crew or not. I don't care to talk about comics history. Just movies.

[edit] One more thing that stands out to me besides the colors.. that makes me focus on the movie comparisons more than Eisner's work..

The backdrops. Totally sparse. Don't see that in the comics either.

Anyhow... On another note, I wonder if Frank if finally getting laid a lot more. Does he still write? I'm curious if it's all still about whores. He must be happier these days.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 07:44:34 AM by Stray »
HaemishM
Staff Emeritus

Reply #325 on: October 09, 2008, 10:12:56 AM

AFAIK Frank's been in a committed relationship with his colorist for years now.

And yes, I'm very much a Will Eisner/Spirit fanatic. The colors that you speak of? Not necessarily indicative of the use of blacks the Spirit is known for. Also, the movie is going to do some things I'm not happy about, such as showing the Octopus' face (Sam Jackson). In the comics, you never saw him, just a figure in the shadows with these distinctive gloves.

Again, doing a Spirit movie like anything other than Sin City would be untrue to the source material. As a fan, I find that important. The cinemeatography of both Sin City and the Spirit appears to be directly inspired by the comics.

Amarr HM
Terracotta Army

Reply #326 on: October 09, 2008, 11:38:28 AM

Ok I'm rerailing slightly but just wanted to point out I was being slightly caustic earlier with the Frank Miller take, but this would have been the element of truth I was hinting on, Ronald Reagan (add modern presidential archetype) sends his lapdog Superman down to shutdown the Batman vigilante operation. Batman plugs his new suit into the city Grid and hands out a beating on Supermans ass, epic stuff would make a nice finale though I can't see it happening..

I'm going to escape, come back, wipe this place off the face of the Earth, obliterate it and you with it.
Der Helm
Terracotta Army

Reply #327 on: October 09, 2008, 12:57:54 PM

I just saw it. Awesome movie. To early for further comments from me.

Just ... wow ...

"I've been done enough around here..."- Signe
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #328 on: October 09, 2008, 02:24:25 PM

Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #329 on: October 11, 2008, 02:25:55 AM

I think I've said this already, but I really want to see Mr. Freeze as the next villain. Similar to the DCAU Freeze. To keep the 'realistic' theme of the movies, you strip away all the Freezegun and instant ice powers, but keep the cold suit and him needing to stay ice cold. Have him clunk around with a re-breather, but instead of normal air, he needs some super cooled liquid nitrogen/oxygen to keep going. His 'power' would be him not feeling pain due to his umm 'Freeze disease', physical trauma not slowing him down. He could use the Liquid Nitrogen, as a tool and calling card. Freezing locks to break them, finishing off his victims etc. 

Freeze is similar to Batman, in that his entire world was taken from him unjustly. Instead of Freeze becoming the brooding vigilante, everything that motivates Freeze revolves around trying to keep his wife alive (or reviving her), keeping himself alive and seeking cold calculating revenge against those who wronged him. In a way, he would be what Batman would have been, if Bruce Wayne had pulled the trigger in the court house in the first movie.

Of course the movie would be set in winter.

Basically : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VfVTWGwLFo that, but minus the ray gun, mechano man cold suit and the Eskimo fur henchmen.

/dreams

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #330 on: October 21, 2008, 02:40:48 PM

I say bring back Walken from the Burton movies.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Not really a good movie (imo), but my memory's been refreshed on how funny he was in that.
Grand Design
Terracotta Army

Reply #331 on: October 24, 2008, 06:56:42 PM

Sorry, I'm late to the party due to an acute paranoia involving movie theaters. 

Spoilers and ridiculous speculation.

Here's my take on the next-villain discussion.  Dark Knight was about Batman coming out from the shadows, taking a very proactive role in the future of Gotham and ultimately losing the battle.  He rightly chooses to bear the burden of responsibility for his failed plans.  The next villain is Batman.  Gordon's speech at the end summarizes pretty clearly how the third film will play: Batman will be hunted.  Certainly, there will be another true villain in the film, but that won't be the focus.  I'd like to see Riddler using his antics to further cast Batman as Gotham's true villain, thus nurturing the seed that The Joker planted. 

Anyway, it most likely won't be out until 2012. 

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  General Discussion  |  Movies  |  Topic: The Dark Knight  
Jump to: