Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:24:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mass Effect - Bioware - PC 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mass Effect - Bioware - PC  (Read 81129 times)
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: May 20, 2009, 01:10:49 PM

I just finished the dlc fall from heaven and can only say... ACK!

I'm amazed at the two choices in that scenario. Well done. Well done.

It was a pretty damn good DLC.  I really wanted to smoke him where he stood, but my character is mostly paragon, so I did the right thing.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #106 on: May 21, 2009, 10:02:26 AM

I wasn't aware there was "a right thing" in that situation.

Which is what I really liked about it. It was about as grey as it gets.  I always thought it would be fun to make a game with every decision coming back to bite you.  You save a kid from an oncoming car about to kill him - he grows up to be Hitler...that sort of thing.

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #107 on: May 21, 2009, 10:04:53 AM

You save a kid from an oncoming car about to kill him - he grows up to be Hitler...that sort of thing.

Uh.... a reasonably recent pc rpg already did that.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #108 on: May 21, 2009, 03:55:02 PM

Which?

Hindenburg
Terracotta Army

Itto

Reply #109 on: May 21, 2009, 03:56:17 PM

Witcher.

"Who uses Outlook anyway?  People who get what they deserve, that's who." - Ard.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #110 on: May 21, 2009, 07:43:56 PM

No - which game?

schild
Administrator

Reply #111 on: May 21, 2009, 07:45:50 PM

I want to punch you.
Furiously
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: May 22, 2009, 05:59:45 AM

That's only because you laughed...

schild
Administrator

Reply #113 on: May 22, 2009, 06:01:18 AM

No, I didn't.

It was way too obvious.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #114 on: May 22, 2009, 08:15:47 AM

You came in too soon.

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
lesion

Reply #115 on: May 25, 2009, 08:50:19 AM

I tried making a new adept for an insanity playthrough. I'm swearing at the TV again.

steam|a grue \[T]/
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #116 on: May 26, 2009, 12:38:24 AM

I've unlocked shotguns, rifles and barrier... I wonder if it will follow through to Mass Effect 2?

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
tmp
Terracotta Army

POW! Right in the Kisser!

Reply #117 on: May 29, 2009, 11:22:52 AM

E3 teaser for part 2 is up.

Doesn't show very much. Reminded me how much superior the female Shepard VA was... oh and looks the fans of geeky jailbait are in for some more of "can't tap this" teeth gnashing.
Yegolev

2/10 WOULD NOT INGEST

Reply #118 on: May 29, 2009, 11:28:29 AM

I've unlocked shotguns, rifles and barrier... I wonder if it will follow through to Mass Effect 2?

All the cool game developers are dead.  So, no.  These days, I'm happy if they let me copy my savegame off the Xbox and cry out "Thank you sir, may I have another".

Why am I homeless?  Why do all you motherfuckers need homes is the real question.
They called it The Prayer, its answer was law
Mommy come back 'cause the water's all gone
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: May 30, 2009, 10:37:49 PM

I wasn't aware there was "a right thing" in that situation.

Which is what I really liked about it. It was about as grey as it gets.  I always thought it would be fun to make a game with every decision coming back to bite you.

Might be fun to make such a game, but I wouldn't find such a game entertaining.  Don't want a perpetual bad day, no matter what I do it just gets worse and worse, because the solution to that situation is to stop playing that game.  Also, a plot line where things just get worse and worse and worse tends to end with a big cheesy deus ex machina at the end, and that's just cheap.

Anyway, sorry for joining the discussion late, but, regarding aliens on the ship, ok so maybe the humans distrust aliens and I didn't roleplay a human properly.  But aliens are supposed to distrust humans too, and (besides the Volus ambassador saying so), I've never seen any of the aliens do anything but completely and totally trust the human crew / me.  And, the Normandy is advanced from the humans point of view; probably just second-hand tech as far as Turians are concerned.  "Store the heat instead of venting it" can't believe nobody thought of that before humans.

I don't think we'll play Shepard in the second game; I think we'll start from level 1 again as someone else, and we'll simply hear about Shepard's exploits on the news or whatever.

And, I have a question:  is the Geth language = the Quarrian language?  I'm assuming that that light on Tali's helmet is the translator, and that the Quarrians designed the Geth to speak their native language.  You can hear Geth sound bits in the game (and to me they sound like the electronic-distorted version of a lion's growl/purr).
Fordel
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: May 30, 2009, 11:30:20 PM

The Geth language is re-used 'alien speak' from KotoR. Specifically the water planet aliens.

and the gate is like I TOO AM CAPABLE OF SPEECH
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: May 31, 2009, 12:40:59 AM

I don't think we'll play Shepard in the second game; I think we'll start from level 1 again as someone else, and we'll simply hear about Shepard's exploits on the news or whatever.

Is everyone who's met Shepard going to comment on how much the new guy looks like Shepard?
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: May 31, 2009, 05:51:01 AM

Might be fun to make such a game, but I wouldn't find such a game entertaining.  Don't want a perpetual bad day, no matter what I do it just gets worse and worse, because the solution to that situation is to stop playing that game.  Also, a plot line where things just get worse and worse and worse tends to end with a big cheesy deus ex machina at the end, and that's just cheap.
That's pretty much what the Witcher was like -- every decision you made it'd then show you consequences and lot of them were not positive no matter what you picked. It's one of themes in the Witcher books though, so it fit the game nicely. They avoided the deus ex machina ending too imo, most pieces at the end is allowed to stay where you let/made them fall.

But aliens are supposed to distrust humans too, and (besides the Volus ambassador saying so), I've never seen any of the aliens do anything but completely and totally trust the human crew / me.
I recall number of aliens making it very obvious they don't expect my Shepard anything but fail and/or how he/she's part of pitiful species. The council Turian, the citadel security chief, Noveria administrator, some other Turian in the personal mini-arc you get if you pick the criminal background... think some others too i can't remember off the bat.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2009, 05:57:01 AM by tmp »
FatuousTwat
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: May 31, 2009, 09:37:03 PM

Is everyone who's met Shepard going to comment on how much the new guy looks like Shepard?

"Oh man, after that huge explosion, your face got all fucked up! The doctor said he can make you look like whatever you want!"

CHOOSE NEW APPEARANCE.

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?
AutomaticZen
Terracotta Army

Reply #124 on: June 01, 2009, 07:22:41 AM

"Oh man, after that huge explosion, your face got all fucked up! The doctor said he can make you look like whatever you want!"

CHOOSE NEW APPEARANCE.

"Oh, you want 'The Shepard'?  That's my most popular face these days!"
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #125 on: June 01, 2009, 08:13:56 AM

I'm going with the Kirk Lazarus. Played a blond/blue white guy in ME1, I'll play a black dude in ME2.
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #126 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:36 AM

E3 teaser for part 2 is up.

Doesn't show very much.

That's only about half of the full trailer. The full version should be released today.

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
Stormwaltz
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 01, 2009, 03:24:50 PM

Nothing in this post represents the views of my current or previous employers.

"Isn't that just like an elf? Brings a spell to a gun fight."

"Sci-Fi writers don't invent the future, they market it."
- Henry Cobb
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #128 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:51 PM

To even attempt this perilous mission, Shepard must assemble the galaxy’s most elite team and command the most powerful ship ever built.
Hmm pity i kind of let the Destiny Ascension crash and burn in part 1 then, could be fun to fly that. That was btw one moment in game where the options rubbed me wrong way, it totally missed an extra "Try to save the Ascension" option which would be quite logical middle ground, given how big military asset it made and how it could help shoot the Big Bad. Instead it's either "save a few replaceable politicians at all cost" or be a calculating but rather short-sighted dick.  swamp poop
Ingmar
Terracotta Army

Auto Assault Affectionado

Reply #129 on: June 01, 2009, 05:17:14 PM

To even attempt this perilous mission, Shepard must assemble the galaxy’s most elite team and command the most powerful ship ever built.
Hmm pity i kind of let the Destiny Ascension crash and burn in part 1 then, could be fun to fly that. That was btw one moment in game where the options rubbed me wrong way, it totally missed an extra "Try to save the Ascension" option which would be quite logical middle ground, given how big military asset it made and how it could help shoot the Big Bad. Instead it's either "save a few replaceable politicians at all cost" or be a calculating but rather short-sighted dick.  swamp poop

Weren't said politicans on the DA? I'm not seeing the difference between the 'save them' option and a 'save the DA' option, other than how it is framed I suppose.

The Transcendent One: AH... THE ROGUE CONSTRUCT.
Nordom: Sense of closure: imminent.
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #130 on: June 01, 2009, 05:32:00 PM

Weren't said politicans on the DA? I'm not seeing the difference between the 'save them' option and a 'save the DA' option, other than how it is framed I suppose.
It's down to the wording, yeah why so serious?  But it also allows for wider range of motivations driving the player's character's, imo -- i mean, for a "paragon" who's been the whole game focusing on how beneficial cooperation with aliens etc is, saving the alien council "at all cost" might be a natural decision. While character played in more reserved manner could be less inclined to risk everything to save said council first and foremost... yet still recognize the value of the dreadnaught. In other words, i wouldn't mind having option to save the ship, but without getting in the process Paragon points for saving few guys that i didn't actually care about. And if Shepard could actually tell them in following cutscene she didn't do it for them, that'd be just icing on the cake Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?
Koyasha
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: June 02, 2009, 05:14:52 AM

Yeah, I would have figured the neutral option should have been to try to save the ascenscion.  Tactically and logically there's good reason to do so because it's a powerful ship, it has the most powerful mass accelerator in our fleet, and who knows (at that point) whether the rest of our fleet can even seriously damage Sovereign, since maybe it would take the most powerful mass accelerator we have to get much damage in on him.

It's all hindsight talking, of course, but it does feel like the big decision of the game was weaker than some of the other choices presented elsewhere due to that.

-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth
ajax34i
Terracotta Army

Reply #132 on: June 02, 2009, 02:01:53 PM

One side effect of your new website, btw, is that all of the links all over the web that pointed to various tidbits of very useful Mass Effect 1 information on your forums are now broken.  Good discussions about the various classes in the game, how to fix some sound issues, etc etc., all were google-able till you changed your website.

Very annoying. 

New website looks good, tho.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 02:13:33 PM by ajax34i »
tmp
Terracotta Army

Reply #133 on: June 03, 2009, 01:21:36 PM

Some gameplay of ME2 in g4tv hands-on. Game hopefully coming "early next year".
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #134 on: December 11, 2009, 10:16:07 PM

/necro

I'm not really hating on the game, but my small gripe so far is that some of world elements are a little too spelled out. It's hard to articulate what I mean here, but it's written like nerdy technobabble sci fi at times. Like, the type of sci-fi that's fascinated with technology, and needs to explain how everything works. I like sci-fi that doesn't explain itself too much. Or at least, does it less directly. Oh, and even worse, Shepherd, a guy who lives in this "world", is used as the person who asks these inane questions.. like he's completely ignorant of the world around him. This doesn't make sense. He is a well traveled, hardened military veteran who's grown up around and seen 50 million holographic terminals at this point in his life. Why the fuck does he need to ask a terminal how it operates, what it is, etc..? Like he's never seen one before..

It's like those old Star Trek episodes where Picard needs an explanation on the how this or that Enterprise feature works. If he doesn't know, then why the fuck is he the Captain? It's the kind of writing done by uber nerds so impressed with their creations, and want everyone to go "NEATO!!!" when they give detail explanations of the props and elements within their stories. I hate that shit

Sorry, that was a bit heavy handed. "Small gripe" indeed.  why so serious?

[edit] Ugh, actually I take that back. This game isn't all that great. Which team did this?

The combat is cool, but otherwise, it's laborious. Which is strange, usually it's the other way around with Bioware.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 12:57:33 AM by stray »
caladein
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: December 12, 2009, 01:51:21 AM

First off, if you feel that way, avoid the Codex at all cost Ohhhhh, I see..

Second, are you talking about the VI in Citadel?  You're right in the sense of "why does he need to learn how to use a VI" but I think you're missing a bit of the fun of that system.  It's a bit like a phone-tree and tour guide mashed into one.

As for the combat, it really depends on what weapons/abilities you're using.  On the 360 I did a lot of specials and using Pistols from cover.  On PC I played a lot more run-and-gun with the AR.  Neither was the first method I was going after.

"Point being, they can't make everyone happy, so I hope they pick me." -Ingmar
"OH MY GOD WE'RE SURROUNDED SEND FOR BACKUP DIG IN DEFENSIVE POSITIONS MAN YOUR NECKBEARDS" -tgr
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #136 on: December 12, 2009, 03:17:51 AM

Well, actually... I'd rather they just save most of that stuff for Codex. Show,don't tell. Or something.

I'm playing assault rifles. It's OK, I didn't expect much. And I imagine it'll ramp up into something almost shooter like. Pretty cool for an RPG.

Just a few things rub me the wrong way about the actual RPG elements. Besides the way things are presented, it's just boring. Maybe the story gets better, but the Citadel isn't a good way to kick things off. Nor is it enjoyable on some kind of atmospheric level. A lot of the NPC's talk about what a marvel the Citadel is, but I don't see it. Perhaps I need a cutscene.  why so serious?
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #137 on: December 12, 2009, 06:53:41 PM

Uhh, the citadel is overly long (mostly due to loading), laborious in the sense that you're doing a lot of Fedex quests, and light on combat. It's like 6 hours to complete on your first play through and there's only a handful of fights. 

I wouldn't judge the game based on that.  Wait until you get to some of the main plot planets.  Action picks up.  Just a warning, the side quests with the rover are mainly ass (well, just when you're in the rover).

Your complaint is somewhat of a Bioware game staple.  There's always an option for "explain the results of the last 100 years of human progress".  There's a lot of this in Dragon Age as well.

-Rasix
dusematic
Terracotta Army

Diablo 3's Number One Fan

Reply #138 on: December 12, 2009, 07:00:18 PM

I didn't like this game.  I felt like I was playing KOTOR 2.  And when I was playing KOTOR 2 I felt like I was playing KOTOR 1.  If you're really hardup for some KOTOR then this game is probably great, if you played KOTOR and feel like you've been there and done that, avoid.
stray
Terracotta Army

has an iMac.

Reply #139 on: December 12, 2009, 08:00:29 PM

There's a lot of this in Dragon Age as well.

I suppose you're right, but it seemed conveniently set up where some explanations about the world made sense. Like, my character was just a human noble. He didn't know the intricacies of Dwarven life, etc., so of course he'd ask these things. And even then, they were handled sort of indirectly a lot. You were asked to support a Dwarven King, and only would get minor details on what each candidate was like within dialogue. I actually came to my decision to support Bhelen from the town crier guy.. When he mentioned that Bhelen was marrying an non-caste woman, and that the other dude was stuck in the old ways. That right there told me a lot.

Not only that, but it seemed like there were dialog choices to allowed you to either be ignorant and push for further info, and choices that assumed you knew things. For example, you didn't have to ask Alistair "What's a Templar?" or Wynne "What's the Fade?" when you first meet them.

So basically everything seemed to present itself in a more natural way. While more info was in codexes.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  Gaming  |  But is it Fun?  |  Topic: Mass Effect - Bioware - PC  
Jump to: