Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:56:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Flagship Sunk? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Flagship Sunk?  (Read 68556 times)
Tige
Terracotta Army

on: July 11, 2008, 12:06:15 PM

Interesting tidbit from Gamasutra regarding Flagship Studios.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19386

Hate it if true.  Was hoping they could turn HG:L around.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 12:11:34 PM

I saw that and it made me sad.  I'm subbed and play HGL more than any other game at the moment.   Heartbreak  FSS is saying the HanbitSoft story is fake but who knows? 

Editedbecauseicantspellrite.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 12:19:10 PM by Signe »

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
schild
Administrator

Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 12:27:44 PM

Oh right. I just want to say - who's laughing about my refund now?
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: July 11, 2008, 12:41:54 PM

Don't care about HG:L but I sure hope Mythos isn't impacted by this.
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: July 11, 2008, 01:00:49 PM

The people who never spent any money on a fourth-rate Diablo-clone in the first place?  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #5 on: July 11, 2008, 01:14:30 PM

The people who never spent any money on a fourth-rate Diablo-clone in the first place?  awesome, for real

/raisehand

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
WayAbvPar

Reply #6 on: July 11, 2008, 01:31:24 PM

Thank Christ for open betas. That saved me $50 at least.

When speaking of the MMOG industry, the glass may be half full, but it's full of urine. HaemishM

Always wear clean underwear because you never know when a Tory Government is going to fuck you.- Ironwood

Libertarians make fun of everyone because they can't see beyond the event horizons of their own assholes Surlyboi
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #7 on: July 11, 2008, 01:33:21 PM

Hellgate London should have never seen daylight. Mythos is where they should have gone all in.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Tige
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 01:50:59 PM

I liked Hellgate's premise.  No elf ears and everything that comes with it.

I've had some really fun sessions with the game and was going to resub with 2.0 but now who knows if it will see the light of day this year.  Besides, the forums are more entertainment than any other mmo out there right now.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 02:00:02 PM

I've been subbed for a few weeks or so now and it's much more fun.  Some of the recent nerfs to MM have disillusioned me, however.  Mythos is cute and okay but does not keep me entertained for more than an hour or so.  I can go very long periods without logging in and I don't miss it at all.  It is cute, though.  HGL, however, has loads of potential for fun and I look cool in it.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #10 on: July 11, 2008, 02:04:35 PM

I liked Hellgate's premise.  No elf ears and everything that comes with it.

I've had some really fun sessions with the game and was going to resub with 2.0 but now who knows if it will see the light of day this year.  Besides, the forums are more entertainment than any other mmo out there right now.

I'll tell you honestly : I didn't give it more than 40-50 minutes, at best, during the open beta to figure it was shit. When your character looks and feels static and retarded after 15 seconds of movement, I'm there better be something else making up for it. And then I waited. After 10 mins and some combat with different classes I was ready to give up. I tried advancing and having fun, but a burdening feeling of suckage caused me to abandon all hope. Game was absolutely lacking in atmosphere, feeling, depth, interactivity, decent animations, particle effects, AI, interface and combat to name a few so why are people still rabbling about this piece of flamboyant poop. Just let it die. Diablo 3 is here Soon(TM).

HGL, however, has loads of potential

Yup, thats all it ever was. Potential. Unfortunately wasted.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 02:07:35 PM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #11 on: July 11, 2008, 02:15:32 PM

Never fuck with a Korean company's money and expect to keep your job.

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: July 11, 2008, 02:18:03 PM

This is looking pretty serious-- it's plausible that the koreans may actually have a claim to the FSS IP. Unfortunately that does include Mythos.

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/39851/Hellgate-Developers-Made-Redundant-Korean-Distributor-Takes-Control

The mass layoffs are likely to be real too.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 02:35:44 PM

I linked all the way to that "rant" from their sole programmer. I genuinely feel  bad for the guy because it seems like he really wants things to work out when he knows they won't.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 02:39:12 PM

I linked all the way to that "rant" from their sole programmer. I genuinely feel  bad for the guy because it seems like he really wants things to work out when he knows they won't.

Same. I also really wanted them to do well, being a huge Blizzard North fan and Diablo fan. I'm still looking forward to trying Mythos though and just think of HG:L as a project gone wrong. Trial and error.

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 03:05:28 PM

I want to have something to say about this, but I've already said it in other threads.  swamp poop

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
Modern Angel
Terracotta Army

Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 03:45:22 PM

I think Diablo 3 would've been the last nail in the coffin anyway.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #17 on: July 11, 2008, 04:06:12 PM

I think Diablo 3 would've been the last nail in the coffin anyway.

That could be, I don't know, but Diablo 3 is Blizzard and they've just announced it so I reckon HGL would have AT LEAST five years to make a bit of dosh.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?  I do think, however, that if HGL had been in a proper state when it launched, it would be doing alright.  Not WoW great or anything, but possibly decent. 

Count Nerfedalot
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: July 11, 2008, 07:10:48 PM

Too bad.  Another decent game idea where the devs bit off more than they could chew, released too soon, and have suffered the consequences.  THIS is why I think Mythic's pruning of classes and cities is a wise decision.

Yes, I know I'm paranoid, but am I paranoid enough?
Trippy
Administrator

Reply #19 on: July 11, 2008, 07:27:46 PM

Some of us were smart enough to realize the game wasn't good enough to subscribe to it in the first place DRILLING AND MANLINESS
sam, an eggplant
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 07:49:15 PM

From the updates in the past couple of hours, it really does look like the koreans are going to end up owning HGL (who cares?) and Mythos (I care). What a total bummer. If travis baltree and co aren't developing it, I don't have much hope in Mythos ending up a winner.
schild
Administrator

Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 09:20:25 PM

I imagine Travis would leave and make something better. Hell, he should.
Samprimary
Contributor

Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 01:20:05 AM

Ratman_tf
Terracotta Army

Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 02:07:34 AM

"What I'm saying is you should make friends with a few catasses, they smell funny but they're very helpful."
-Calantus makes the best of a smelly situation.
WindupAtheist
Army of One

Badicalthon

Reply #24 on: July 12, 2008, 02:12:51 AM

Fuck 'em.  They can take their "let's charge MMO fees for pseudo-MMO online play" business plan straight to hell with them.

"You're just a dick who quotes himself in his sig."  --  Schild
"Yeah, it's pretty awesome."  --  Me
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #25 on: July 12, 2008, 03:16:51 AM

Fuck 'em.  They can take their "let's charge MMO fees for pseudo-MMO online play" business plan straight to hell with them.
Where "hell" means "Korea", right?  awesome, for real

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #26 on: July 12, 2008, 06:49:42 AM

/raisehand

Same. Thankfully few funbois here took one for the team so I didn't had to.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: July 12, 2008, 06:50:59 AM

Can't agree more and for me this was top issue I had with Flagship.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #28 on: July 12, 2008, 07:39:00 AM

Flagship Studios' Closure Confirmed, All Staff Fired, All I.P. Lost

HanbitSoft hopes to independently continue development of Mythos, to which it owns the rights thanks to a loan agreement enacted with Flagship. Comerica now owns the Hellgate: London rights through a similar loan agreement, and will likely continue Asian development with HanbitSoft. As for English-language releases of the two games, it is possible that the Asian companies would continue development, though in the case of Hellgate: London it is unlikely (Mythos has a far better business model and is attracting extremely positive press). Alternatively, the rights may be sold to Electronic Arts or other interested parties.

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #29 on: July 12, 2008, 08:25:58 AM

Flagship Studios' Closure Confirmed, All Staff Fired, All I.P. Lost

HanbitSoft hopes to independently continue development of Mythos, to which it owns the rights thanks to a loan agreement enacted with Flagship. Comerica now owns the Hellgate: London rights through a similar loan agreement, and will likely continue Asian development with HanbitSoft. As for English-language releases of the two games, it is possible that the Asian companies would continue development, though in the case of Hellgate: London it is unlikely (Mythos has a far better business model and is attracting extremely positive press). Alternatively, the rights may be sold to Electronic Arts or other interested parties.

Perhaps the lesson is "if you take a loan out on everything, be prepared to lose everything".

It seems incredible, to me, that Flagship put pretty much everything they had in hock to afford to get their products out the door, including the IPs.

Flagshipped indeed.

Aez
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: July 12, 2008, 08:30:20 AM

Crap.

Anyone knows an other casual friendly game?  Preferably with hordes of monsters and a decent loot system.
eldaec
Terracotta Army

Reply #31 on: July 12, 2008, 08:32:27 AM

Crap.

Anyone knows an other casual friendly game?  Preferably with hordes of monsters and a decent loot system.

Diablo 2

"People will not assume that what they read on the internet is trustworthy or that it carries any particular ­assurance or accuracy" - Lord Leveson
"Hyperbole is a cancer" - Lakov Sanite
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #32 on: July 12, 2008, 08:43:51 AM

Crap.

Diablo 2

lesion

Reply #33 on: July 12, 2008, 08:44:19 AM

What is this "through sources" bullshit? Are there no direct goddamn quotes? Did they not take notes? Find me someone to choke!

steam|a grue \[T]/
rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #34 on: July 12, 2008, 09:21:31 AM

i cannot believe Flagship only had one game to their name. Wtf seriously? That's IT?

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  MMOG Discussion  |  Topic: Flagship Sunk?  
Jump to: