Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:18:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why aren't you playing?  (Read 60151 times)
UnSub
Contributor

Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008, 07:30:01 PM

I've got friends who are looking to sign up. Once they do, I'll join as well.

But it's been worth my time looking at these forums go from "AoC: It's really fun!" to "AoC: Meh".

squirrel
Contributor

Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008, 07:31:45 PM

I've got friends who are looking to sign up. Once they do, I'll join as well.

But it's been worth my time looking at these forums go from "AoC: It's really fun!" to "AoC: Meh".

How's "AoC - Meh, it's really fun."

Me, I read the class forums. My bad. I'm letting that fade for a bit.

Speaking of marketing, we're out of milk.
Lt.Dan
Terracotta Army

Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008, 07:46:49 PM

I've been playing on another server but I got distracted by watching 'Studio 60' on DVD.  If you like West Wing it's pretty entertaining.

Oh, and innovative combat my arse.  It's three auto-attack buttons instead of one.  The nice touch is being the hero and being able to take on 2-3 mobs at the same time. 
Velorath
Contributor

Reply #38 on: June 23, 2008, 08:17:41 PM

I picked up the game, played for a few weeks, and then stopped when I wasn't finding it fun anymore.  Can't really give much more of an explanation than that.  Just not looking to make a long term commitment to a video game.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #39 on: June 23, 2008, 10:44:10 PM

Edited off because I am tired.

Lt. Dan. you are wrong. That's it.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:50:38 PM by Falconeer »

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #40 on: June 23, 2008, 10:52:22 PM

So how's the whole "telling other people what they're allowed to think" thing working out for you Falconeer? Do you die a little every time someone decides that they don't like AoC? Are you worried that your catass to 80 will be wasted if no one else cares about the game?

How about you go and enjoy the game you enjoy and stop telling everyone else they're not allowed to feel differently about it.

Edit: I see you've edited your post.  Ohhhhh, I see.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 10:54:01 PM by lamaros »
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #41 on: June 23, 2008, 10:57:35 PM

Heh, Lamaros. It's just that saying "It's three auto-attack buttons instead of one." sounded unbearable.
Then you have your breakfast and everything looks different.
Still silly, but not unbearable anymore.

lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #42 on: June 23, 2008, 11:03:22 PM

Heh, Lamaros. It's just that saying "It's three auto-attack buttons instead of one." sounded unbearable.
Then you have your breakfast and everything looks different.
Still silly, but not unbearable anymore.

I read it as "it's still repetitive and eh once you get past the novelty", not so literal.

People can read your comments about how it's good, and schild's, and slayer's, and so forth, and we can read comments from other people who think differently and make up our own minds. it doesn't require someone comming going "fuck off for not liking it, it rocks!" every time they do in order for us to have a balanced perspective. It just means we're less likely to give weight to the opinions of the people banging on about how you must love the game or else.

You like the game, some others not so much, but if you want to advertise it stop going on about how anyone who doesn't like it is broken and wrong and etc and just talk about why you do like it.

The reason I havn't given it a go is because I don't have a PC good enough to run it, btw. Though many aspects I've heard about indicate that I'd find it frustrating and quit once the novelty wore off.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 11:05:38 PM by lamaros »
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #43 on: June 23, 2008, 11:33:59 PM

I just find it funny that half the complaints are related to the game being, well, an MMoG. I mean really, what is it you are expecting if you don't want Quest Grind or PVP. Pointless Mob grind? It's an MMoG for fuck's sake.

I play all MMOGS I play until they bore me. I get about as much gameplay out of them as I do with an equally priced single player game (I barely go beyond the initial month). Works for me, because I avoid the grind by stopping to play once it starts.

So I got what I expected, thankyouverymuch.

Also, I'm not complaining. Somebody asks a question and I answered it.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #44 on: June 24, 2008, 12:00:53 AM

I am liking the game and I don't mind people don't liking it.

While I take so many chances to praise it, there's a difference between don't liking it and saying "It's three auto-attack buttons instead of one" or "content stops at 40". Lies, horrible misinformation. That is when you see me jump.

But hey, nothing a good breakfast or a nice PvP evening in the Border Kingdoms can't solve.

Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #45 on: June 24, 2008, 12:28:20 AM

I'd play if their support staff answered emails and fixed my fucking problem.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #46 on: June 24, 2008, 12:50:15 AM

Obviously for you liking a game means playing it until the sun grows cold.

Me, I can like something for a few weeks and be done with it. Still liking the experience I had.

And "three attack buttons" is not the same as "three auto-attack buttons". So where did you come up with your version of the truth?
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #47 on: June 24, 2008, 01:20:10 AM

Are you talking to me Tebonas?
Because I wasn't talking to you. Three auto-attack buttons is something Lt. Dan said, not you.

Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #48 on: June 24, 2008, 01:52:21 AM

Ah, what an unfortunate coincidence.

I browsed if everybody said that and read over it. Must be the Studio 60 reference that fried my brain.
Surlyboi
Terracotta Army

eat a bag of dicks

Reply #49 on: June 24, 2008, 03:41:04 AM

I like how the WoW fanboys hopped on this thread like vultures on a corpse. Only one we're missing now is jpark. But then, this isn't a "why aren't you playing EQ2 thread, so hey. That said, I'm still playing and I've got about six other people with me looking for an entre into the BC.

I'll be on today (Though, I have been slacking a bit due to GTA4.)

Tuned in, immediately get to watch cringey Ubisoft talking head offering her deepest sympathies to the families impacted by the Orlando shooting while flanked by a man in a giraffe suit and some sort of "horrifically garish neon costumes through the ages" exhibit or something.  We need to stop this fucking planet right now and sort some shit out. -Kail
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #50 on: June 24, 2008, 03:46:59 AM

I never stopped liking the combat system. I never thought it got old. Sure, I only played for a month, but I still put in a lot of hours and most of that as some sort of melee. It was just plain fun and gave you feedback from your weapon swinging.
lamaros
Terracotta Army

Reply #51 on: June 24, 2008, 04:01:42 AM

I like how the WoW fanboys hopped on this thread like vultures on a corpse.

That's an unfortunate metaphor.
slog
Terracotta Army

Reply #52 on: June 24, 2008, 04:49:06 AM

Made me laugh. 

on the 3 button thing,

From what I have read, it seems that most folks are just making macros for the 3 button auto attack.  It sort of reminds me of the WWII online combat system at release, where complexity to create an illusion of depth.

Friends don't let Friends vote for Boomers
Dren
Terracotta Army

Reply #53 on: June 24, 2008, 05:11:02 AM

I read the entire thread and still don't see where the WoW fanboyism comment came from.  I see people saying:

1.) It is great.  I'm still playing.
2.) It is a MMOG and I don't like MMOGs so I quit.
3.) I didn't like the game so I quit and went back to the other game I play.  (I believe Rasix was the only one that actually mentioned WoW)
4.) Loved the game, but I quit anyway.

You crazy WoW-heads!  Get off the lawn!

Me?  I don't have the system for it and won't for a very long time.  So, I continue to play, *gasp*, WoW.

I keep coming to these threads to see if they somehow made it so average computers can play the game.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #54 on: June 24, 2008, 05:22:49 AM

Atleast my intention was never to start a flamefest. I merely deviated a little from the exact purpose of the thread, from why people have stopped playing with BC to why people have stopped playing at all. Trust me, I really did want to like this game.

But: The directional attacks are to me just broken up hotkey combat. I still don't really get away from the feeling of chucking specific abilities at the mobs, beyond playing a little bit of whack'a'mole. The other issue is that the pure casters play identically to every caster in every diku ever. The evolution of combat was exclusive to meleers only. Which is funny considering there are atleast 3 classes completely without melee capabilities. (PoM, ToS, Dem, any more?) Having "Casting Concentration" as a incrementable skill was just a band-aid to fix a much vaster issue with the classes.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Sky
Terracotta Army

I love my TV an' hug my TV an' call it 'George'.

Reply #55 on: June 24, 2008, 05:34:56 AM

I had to choose pay and crash or bugger off and keep my money so I buggered off.  I never got better after that Monday patch that gave me crashitis.  Oh well.  I wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.  I know me.
Doesn't every game make your pc crash these days? Must be saving a lot of money.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #56 on: June 24, 2008, 05:58:37 AM

More big differences in combat (at least PvP combat) are the sidesteps/backsteps, active parry and collision detection. That means a lot for casters too. Maybe not at level 40 when you are whacking foozles but they are there for so many situational reasons, not necessarily apparent during your ordinary grind-job.

I don't know if some people received a free blindfold instead of the rhino mount with their purchases or it's just me and the other lots who's still playing that feel the combat so different and refreshing from ANY other MMORPG so far.

Autoattack? There is none.
Not different from other MMORPG combats? Whatever dude. Who am I to judge?

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #57 on: June 24, 2008, 06:03:24 AM

More big differences in combat (at least PvP combat) are the sidesteps/backsteps, active parry and collision detection. That means a lot for casters too. Maybe not at level 40 when you are whacking foozles but they are there for so many situational reasons, not necessarily apparent during your ordinary grind-job.

I don't know if some people received a free blindfold instead of the rhino mount with their purchases or it's just me and the other lots who's still playing that feel the combat so different and refreshing from ANY other MMORPG so far.

Autoattack? There is none.
Not different from other MMORPG combats? Whatever dude. Who am I to judge?

For clarification. How does sidestepping/backstepping help? and what is 'active parry'?

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #58 on: June 24, 2008, 06:08:26 AM

Double tapping in any direction gets you a short term buff. IIRC the left and right ones add to your magic resists (I think anyways), the back one gives you a guaranteed (or close to) parry or block and the forward one gives you a chance to stun.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #59 on: June 24, 2008, 06:11:51 AM

and what is 'active parry'?

Hold down X and you go into active block mode, you can't perform any abilities or attack, but you take significantly less damage per hit (but you also lose stamina while in active block mode).

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #60 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:27 AM

Double tapping the movement keys you can get a side/back/forward step, which use stamina but gives you a 5 secs HUGE buff/debuff.
For example, forward step gives you a big chance of stunning your enemy with your next regular melee attack.
Sidestep gives you HUGE magical avoidance for 5 secs and finally backstep gives you huge Evade bonus (not being hit) while hindering your attack and magic capabilities for duration.

Active parry means you keep X pressed down and your char ducks trying to protect.
Again, huge bonus at defense but drains stamina and prevents you from moving and attacking.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:14:01 AM by Falconeer »

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #61 on: June 24, 2008, 06:44:30 AM

Double tapping the movement keys you can get a side/back/forward step, which use stamina but gives you a 5 secs HUGE buff/debuff.
For example, forward step gives you a big chance of stunning your enemy with your next regular melee attack.
Sidestep gives you HUGE magical avoidance for 5 secs and finally backstep gives you huge Evade bonus (not being hit) while hindering your attack and magic capabilities for duration.

Active parry means you keep X pressed down and your char ducks trying to protect.
Again, huge bonus at defense but drains stamina and prevents you from moving and attacking.

Sidestep gives you a 10% immunity which is hardly huge. Backwards step gives you a 50% chance of avoiding attacks. Forward step stun works on combos also.

PS: The way the game is done it seems these bonuses / avoidances aren't in effect while the enemy is casting spells / preforming a combo. If I click my lightning strike, it calculates the resistance on start casting, not on impact. So if you try to gain some avoidance while somebody is doing a huge spell on you, it doesn't work. I will test this further, but this is the impression I have for now.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:47:20 AM by photek »

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #62 on: June 24, 2008, 06:46:47 AM

Only 10 percent? that comes as a surprise. It gives the impression of working much more than that, and clearly I overwrote the correct info with field experience.  swamp poop
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 06:48:46 AM by Falconeer »

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #63 on: June 24, 2008, 06:48:05 AM

Only 10 percent? that comes as a surprise. It gives the impression of working much more than that, and clearly I overridden the correct info with field experience.  swamp poop

It was a "high chance of resisting magical attacks" and a few patches ago it got changed to 10% immunity.

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #64 on: June 24, 2008, 06:50:11 AM

I know you know it. Sucks when they resist you in PVP.

Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #65 on: June 24, 2008, 06:54:54 AM

I had to choose pay and crash or bugger off and keep my money so I buggered off.  I never got better after that Monday patch that gave me crashitis.  Oh well.  I wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.  I know me.
Doesn't every game make your pc crash these days? Must be saving a lot of money.  DRILLING AND MANLINESS

I don't think so.  Just this one at the moment.  You've made me confused!

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
AcidCat
Terracotta Army

Reply #66 on: June 24, 2008, 06:57:36 AM

I picked up the game, played for a few weeks, and then stopped when I wasn't finding it fun anymore.  Can't really give much more of an explanation than that.  Just not looking to make a long term commitment to a video game.

Same here, uninstalled last week. Though I don't mind making a long term commitment to a game - AoC just isn't that game.
raydeen
Terracotta Army

Reply #67 on: June 24, 2008, 07:22:51 AM

I'm playing and liking it, just haven't poked my head into the BC crowd until I've got the playstyle and classes down. It's different enough from other MMO's that I'm still getting the hang of it.

I was drinking when I wrote this, so sue me if it goes astray.
shiznitz
Terracotta Army

the plural of mangina

Reply #68 on: June 24, 2008, 01:10:08 PM

Cannot play two MMOs (EQ2 is still the primary) and move houses at the same time. I will be back in AoC off and on again.

I have never played WoW.
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #69 on: June 24, 2008, 01:38:56 PM

I'm not sure. I got tons of classes, one past 60, one past 50, two past 40, rest in their 30s, and my last project is an Assassin so obviously I have played a lot the first month, but I don't know what I'm playing for currently (high level / endgame) so I'm just ending up rolling alts and trying classes instead. Classes are fun to play to mostly and a month ago we discussed the combat system and it seems I was right in what I said : The directional combat system is a great thing, however it doesn't make the combat particularly more advanced than auto swinging + abilities. The game seems to lack depth after many hours spent, it seems that the directional combos and attacks were prioritized over a very deep and advanced combat system which allows for long battles with lots of ability usage instead of main 3-4 with some additional abilities. Although very few MMO's have this depth it, it seems more and more needed. Also grinding is very boring.

The game also focuses a bit too much on raids / grouping power and I wish it was a bit more rewarding for solo / smalls group players especially towards and at endgame PvP as World of Warcraft allows (BG's / Arenas) which now is very lacking. However I have heard that it is several small-sized epic instances at 80, so this is positive. Lately when I think of logging on I have mixed feelings, so I think I might take a little break and enjoy casual playing.

EDIT: Spelling.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 01:40:30 PM by photek »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing?  
Jump to: