Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 05:40:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why aren't you playing?  (Read 60140 times)
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

on: June 23, 2008, 09:00:36 AM

And when will you start?

I notice that lately BC consists of:

Rattran
Schild
Muffin
Furio
Gauloc
Nalas

and a couple other people I probably missed.

So where are the rest of you fuckers?  Have you stopped playing entirely or are you waiting for some sort of miracle patch?  This of course applies to Zug and not Cimmeria or whatever the SoTM happens to be.

Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:05:37 AM

Re-rolls, figuring out what class I like. Didn't help that the server crash Sunday morning ate one of my rerolls. Won't invite them in to the guild until I've played them a little first.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Nebu
Terracotta Army

Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 09:07:32 AM

Is anyone going to be left when I get around to actually playing this game?

Tantrum

"Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other."

-  Mark Twain
Viin
Terracotta Army

Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:13:31 AM

See what happens when you take to long to get into a game? Shees.

I'm actually play on the PVP-RP server. (And EVE).

- Viin
Venkman
Terracotta Army

Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 09:17:39 AM

I moved over to Cimmerian. I'm playing nightly, and just stuffed the beast onto my work laptop, so during lunch too.
Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 09:34:45 AM

Cancelled (1 day before being charged, woot)

1.  I will not grind for advancement.  According to everything I've read, there are still gaping holes in the quest based progression.
2.  Let's be honest here, the game still runs like a fucking pig.  WoW does not suffer from these peformance issues even remotely.  Yes, I know, you can make the game "playable", but this type of performance in a MMO is not acceptable.  NDA doesn't have this sort of problem either.  They may look terrible in comparison, but beauty only gets you so far.
3.  Game's not finished.  I see little reason to play this game at max level.  See 1, 4.
4.  Bat Country has no stickiness for me. Parallel play.  undecided
5.  I'm not going to PVP in order to make a game interesting.  I'm going to avoid insulting anyone here.

I like the game.  The combat mechanics are great, the world is well done, the audio and visual aspects are fantastic, but ultimately, it fails as a MMO for me.  I may still be subbed if two of my friends hadn't resubbed to WoW, but I have a soft rule about not having 2 MMO subs going at the same time.  AoC would have still likely lost in the end.

I can see myself giving this another shot.. in like.. a while. WoLK will make giving this another shot in 6 months not feasible.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 09:38:44 AM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 09:55:58 AM

I'm on a RP-PvP server.

Still paying when i get the time, however, i knew going in that the game would need some more time to shape up. Again, they got fun right, just needs more fixes and content. You cant really patch in Fun.  Oh ho ho ho. Reallllly?

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 09:57:10 AM

Cancelled (1 day before being charged, woot)

1.  I will not grind for advancement.  According to everything I've read, there are still gaping holes in the quest based progression.

I hit 56 last night and took a screenshot of my quest log (though I'm at work so I can't post it) because it's full.

Granted 2 or so of the quests are green, but the rest are yellow orange or red.  A few are group quests for the cistern, which I probably won't do.  I'm having a very hard time so far finding the "gaping holes" in the quest based progression.  Maybe it's just me.

I do the villas occasionally when I get bored of regular advancement.  Mostly because I've now gotten about 5 gold from selling various blue drops from the villas on the AH.  I usually get at least 1 and sometimes 2 blues per villa.  So perhaps that's giving simply a HUGE advantage over everyone else.  Or maybe the gaping hole will be in the 60s (thus far I was told, when I was in the 30s "just wait until you're 40".. then when I hit 40 I was told "just wait till 50", so I assume now that I'm nearing 60 it will be "just wait till 60").

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Jamiko
Terracotta Army

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 10:08:08 AM

I play almost every night but nobody else is ever on.
Nonentity
Terracotta Army

2009 Demon's Souls Fantasy League Champion

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 10:16:27 AM

I'm playing DotA again.

Then again, I'm on another server, so... yeah.

swamp poop

But that Captain's salami tray was tight, yo. You plump for the roast pork loin, dogg?

[20:42:41] You are halted on the way to the netherworld by a dark spirit, demanding knowledge.
[20:42:41] The spirit touches you and you feel drained.
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 10:27:18 AM

F13 Guild Syndrome strikes again.

ACK!
schild
Administrator

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 10:28:24 AM

I'm still playing. And leveling pretty fucking quickly. I had to stall to let Ookii catch up.
Special J
Terracotta Army

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 10:49:05 AM

Not gone, just not able to play much of anything for a little while.
Soukyan
Terracotta Army

Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 11:18:44 AM

Is anyone going to be left when I get around to actually playing this game?

Tantrum

I'm not playing until I upgrade my computer, which will not be until September at the earliest. So, I will be around in the winter if that's when you get around to playing.

"Life is no cabaret... we're inviting you anyway." ~Amanda Palmer
"Tree, awesome, numa numa, love triangle, internal combustion engine, mountain, walk, whiskey, peace, pascagoula" ~Lantyssa
"Les vrais paradis sont les paradis qu'on a perdus." ~Marcel Proust
Brogarn
Terracotta Army

Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 11:29:59 AM

Loved the classes, the look of the game, the feel of the quests, all that. I canceled for two reasons, though:

Got way too absorbed and spent far more time in game than I did with my fiance. That's just not good. And no, she didn't bring it up, I just realized it one evening when I looked over and saw how absolutely bored she was watching TV.

The road ahead of questing and grinding kind of turned me off anyways. Think my break from this genre needs to be for a little longer, possibly permanently.

In the meantime, I finally picked up Mass Effect for the PC. Good game and being able to pause to talk with the woman or do whatever is double plus good. Also picking up a D&D style board game called Runebound that takes 4-5 hours to complete and playing it with her has for some reason, put me in the most highest of graces. It's not even a genre she likes. I guess she just likes spending time with me. Go figure.

So, ya, real life had me quit.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #15 on: June 23, 2008, 11:57:32 AM

I haven't played for the last few days due to nasty, nasty allergies. I don't know what's blooming around here, but it needs to die.
I'm feeling slightly more human at this point, and will probably log in to see all the changes.

And Cevik: Put some money in the guild bank! We need MOAR BILDINS!
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #16 on: June 23, 2008, 11:58:09 AM

I haven't played for the last few days due to nasty, nasty allergies. I don't know what's blooming around here, but it needs to die.
I'm feeling slightly more human at this point, and will probably log in to see all the changes.

And Cevik: Put some money in the guild bank! We need MOAR BILDINS!

I'm on a different server and in a different guild! :)

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
NiX
Wiki Admin

Locomotive Pandamonium

Reply #17 on: June 23, 2008, 12:14:18 PM

When I realized the quest grind was the same old thing, I canceled.
Cyrrex
Terracotta Army

Reply #18 on: June 23, 2008, 12:33:37 PM

I'm trying to put a couple hours in a day, but I'm currently allergic to not playing MGS4 right now.  Too many games, so little fucking time.

"...maybe if you cleaned the piss out of the sunny d bottles under your desks and returned em, you could upgrade you vid cards, fucken lusers.." - Grunk
Simond
Terracotta Army

Reply #19 on: June 23, 2008, 01:06:10 PM

F13 Guild Syndrome strikes again.

ACK!

Nah, I've seen versions of this thread on other boards. Don't hate the playa etc.

"You're really a good person, aren't you? So, there's no path for you to take here. Go home. This isn't a place for someone like you."
bhodikhan
Terracotta Army

Reply #20 on: June 23, 2008, 01:09:11 PM

I got tired of running all over and watching that damn loading screen.
Tebonas
Terracotta Army

Reply #21 on: June 23, 2008, 01:33:31 PM

Once you get past the novelty of the three attack buttons, the game is actually just as boring as any other MMOG.
schild
Administrator

Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 01:34:49 PM

After you get past the novelty of 3 attack buttons you start playing a PoM or ToS ^_^
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 01:42:27 PM

5 attack buttons, and there's a pair of lines in the prefs file you can use to cut 7 secs off the loading screens. For some reason it defaults to 2 sec fade in, and 5 sec fade out.
ShenMolo
Terracotta Army

Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 01:56:24 PM

1. Got to 40 with a toon and got bored with it. Looking towards endgame and seeing nothing killed my buzz for leveling. Which led to:
2. Alts get old after the 4th or 5th time. I should have skipped the beta. A wider selection of starting areas and more zones to explore in each level range would help.
3. The fact that crafting, massive PvP, & city building are all broken or useless killed my motivation. Even raiding is supposedly a mess.

My mojo for new games is short lived unless they are truly amazing (and how many MMO's have been truly amazing in the last 8 years?). I think it's because I'm getting old.
Ookii
Staff Emeritus

is actually Trippy

Reply #25 on: June 23, 2008, 02:17:53 PM

What's lovely is that when all of this crap is fixed you guys will still be level 40, what's the point of waiting for Massive PvP if everyone attacking you is going to be 80.

Rasix

I am the harbinger of your doom!

Reply #26 on: June 23, 2008, 02:24:23 PM

What's lovely is that when all of this crap is fixed you guys will still be level 40, what's the point of waiting for Massive PvP if everyone attacking you is going to be 80.

rolleyes

Edit: Keep trying to come up with more to say.  But that'll have to suffice.  Just too many things wrong with that statement. 
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 02:28:49 PM by Rasix »

-Rasix
Slyfeind
Terracotta Army

Reply #27 on: June 23, 2008, 02:41:05 PM

I like to wait 6 months to a year after an MMO launches. If people are still excited about it, then I am too.

"Role playing in an MMO is more like an open orchestra with no conductor, anyone of any skill level can walk in at any time, and everyone brings their own instrument and plays whatever song they want.  Then toss PvP into the mix and things REALLY get ugly!" -Count Nerfedalot
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008, 02:42:09 PM

rolleyes

Edit: Keep trying to come up with more to say.  But that'll have to suffice.  Just too many things wrong with that statement. 

No no. He is saying its a good idea. Cause they will be 40 and have a bunch of cool quests to do, and lots of content. Right? Right?
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008, 03:12:39 PM

Well... I'm not playing with you guys, but thought I would share my reasons anyways;

1) Several core gameplay decisions that makes it play un-massively.

2) Quest grind. Actually I could live with that if I knew something really great was ahead, but currently there is naught and I'm not going to suffer through it hoping in promises. I've done that too many times before, only to receive zilch.

3) Character attributes, mob abilities and the general power curve just feels wonky. Aside moving its shields, it doesn't feel like I'm interacting with hand-tuned mobs when I'm out bashing things. Somehow it's like they added half a dozen attack buttons but forgot what makes combat interesting in all the dikus that don't got those attack buttons. I can't discern the difference between a boar and a highwayman except for furriness. Highwaymen rarely shave.

4) This is going to sound ungrateful, but the "mature" content. It's not mature at all, it's juvanile. The tenth wench/character of questionable sexual standards I met made me go "Oh fuck it" and just skip all quest text henceforth. I'm sure there's plenty of good quest "dialogue" past the point I played, but large parts of the game script took the scenic route through Titsville and got drooled all over.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008, 03:18:16 PM

Oh come on! you can totally cut motherfuckers heads off and be a wicked barbarian! and tits! my god dude it's got tits, of course it's ADULTS ONLY. it is clear they made this game mature and FOR an adult and mature audience, clearly. When that whore mentions her quivering thighs you know that no one under 18 will appreciate it.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Bunk
Contributor

Operating Thetan One

Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008, 05:42:55 PM

But, but... tits!?

I just find it funny that half the complaints are related to the game being, well, an MMoG. I mean really, what is it you are expecting if you don't want Quest Grind or PVP. Pointless Mob grind? It's an MMoG for fuck's sake.

"Welcome to the internet, pussy." - VDL
"I have retard strength." - Schild
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008, 05:59:26 PM

I had to choose pay and crash or bugger off and keep my money so I buggered off.  I never got better after that Monday patch that gave me crashitis.  Oh well.  I wouldn't have lasted much longer anyway.  I know me.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008, 06:19:18 PM

I am playing - but had to upgrade first, and was busy the last few days.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
d4rkj3di
Terracotta Army

Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008, 06:21:37 PM

5 attack buttons, and there's a pair of lines in the prefs file you can use to cut 7 secs off the loading screens. For some reason it defaults to 2 sec fade in, and 5 sec fade out.
Found it

http://aoc.wikia.com/wiki/Remove_Fading_Load_Screens
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 06:27:12 PM by d4rkj3di »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing?  
Jump to: