Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:31:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Search:     Advanced search
we're back, baby
Home Help Search Login Register
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Why aren't you playing?  (Read 60153 times)
sinij
Terracotta Army

Reply #105 on: June 29, 2008, 06:52:51 AM

5.  I'm not going to PVP in order to make a game interesting.

I think you picked up wrong game.

Eternity is a very long time, especially towards the end.
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #106 on: June 29, 2008, 08:17:57 AM

I ground for level 59, and a bit of 62. I probably didn't need to, but hadn't discovered all the places to quest. I have not ground since, and just dinged 71 last night. Without doing any group quests except a few Sanctum and a few Cistern/Mainline
Miasma
Terracotta Army

Stopgap Measure

Reply #107 on: June 29, 2008, 08:23:37 AM

Well now you can get half a level every five hours doing villas in Noble District so you don't have to grind out camps in the public areas, that's made things easier.  The only way you could get into the sixties without grinding is if you have a very set group and do all the group quests, including the ones in the resource areas.

Why does what your saying and what Cevik is saying seem diametrically opposed?  One of you is wrong.
I was disagreeing with him for the most part.  The vast majority of people will have to grind, be it the repeatable villa quests or out in the public zones.  I consider the villas grinding-light, if you are above level 45 and still in the villas you are grinding.

There is a very low chance of not grinding and to do it you would need access to another five people whenever you want to do the group only quests.  You could also get some xp if you take two professions and do the crafting quests, I haven't taken any since they are all so buggy.

I did almost every single solo quest I could (unless they were very low gray) and had to grind:
- Two levels in the Cannibal Caves.
- One level on the boars in Thundering River.
- One level on the troglodytes in Atzel's.
- Two levels on Humanoids at the Prison in Atzel's.
- One level on Mammoths in Atzel's.
- Two levels on Apes and Undead in Atzel's.

Then, thankfully, the villas became repeatable and I mainly just do those.  I'll get level 80 in about five hours when they become available again.  If they hadn't done that to the villas I would be knocking my head against the wall trying to xp in one of the two very small camps in the one high level zone the game has.
vex
Terracotta Army

Smock, turban, latex gloves and rubber slippers.

Reply #108 on: June 29, 2008, 09:30:14 AM

I ground for level 59, and a bit of 62. I probably didn't need to, but hadn't discovered all the places to quest. I have not ground since, and just dinged 71 last night. Without doing any group quests except a few Sanctum and a few Cistern/Mainline

I'm defiantly missing something then.  I'm 66 (?) and don't think I have enough quests left in Atzels and Thunder river to get me to 67 without doing the group quests which I almost never do.  I haven't been to Atzels in a couple of levels though so maybe something new popped up.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #109 on: June 30, 2008, 02:04:57 AM

Dear Funcom:

You still suck.  I still can't play.  I'm bitter and hateful.

Still eagerly awaiting response from CS.  When a customer has a problem which completely prevents any form of gameplay, there should really be a faster response time.  DAYS is unacceptable.

As of tomorrow, it will be the one week anniversary of having purchased the product but still being unable to play it.  On that day, you better have my account fixed, or I will begin my refund demands.

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #110 on: June 30, 2008, 05:00:24 AM

Dear Funcom:

You still suck.  I still can't play.  I'm bitter and hateful.

Still eagerly awaiting response from CS.  When a customer has a problem which completely prevents any form of gameplay, there should really be a faster response time.  DAYS is unacceptable.

As of tomorrow, it will be the one week anniversary of having purchased the product but still being unable to play it.  On that day, you better have my account fixed, or I will begin my refund demands.

swamp poop  THEY BETTER FIX YOUR ACCOUNT, WE NEED YOU!!!

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
cevik
I'm Special

I've always wondered about the All Black People Eat Watermelons

Reply #111 on: June 30, 2008, 07:06:55 AM

Why does what your saying and what Cevik is saying seem diametrically opposed?  One of you is wrong.

Probably because I'm out playing the game and not listening to the trolls on the official forums.. ;)

You really don't have to grind.  I have gotten probably about 3 levels off of villas, but I also skipped a bunch of other quests doing it (I've never zoned into main/cistern for example).  The main reason I went through the villas so many times (at the level range I did them, 3 villas was right at a level), was because they were dropping blues like it was going out of style.  I made a bunch of money off those blues and bought myself and my wife a horse.

I haven't done any of the group quests outside of sanctum, which I did with a pug.  Beyond doing the villas a few times for blues and and doing sanctum once, the rest of my 62 levels were completely done on solo questing.  There are plenty of quests to make it through 62 on just quests alone.

As I said in the above post, there are usually at least 3 or 4 quest hubs per zone.  I think a lot of people find 1 or maybe 2 of those quest hubs, do all the quests (or most of the quests) in those hubs and then say "Okay, I'm done with this area" and move to the next zone.  The quest designers biggest problem was that they did not hand hold you into each of the quest hubs.  Most of the time there is only 1 quest in the first hub that leads you to the next hub, if you happen to skip that quest, then you miss out on a ton of quests because you never find the hub.  And in some places this is a cascading failure, i.e. there is one quest to the next hub, which is the only place that leads you to the following hub, etc.  If you skip 1 quest you miss out on 10-15+ quests for the zone, easily 2-3 levels from that zone can get knocked off because of 1 mistake.

I personally think that is the main issue that is causing people to report they can't find enough quests.  It's not that they don't exist, it's that the developers didn't hand hold enough to get people there.  And if there is one thing that the history of mmogs have taught us, it's that players must have their hands held every step of the way.

The above space is available for purchase.  Send a Private Message for a complete price list and payment information.  Thank you for your business.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #112 on: June 30, 2008, 07:17:33 AM

I don't know what happened.  One day I was playing and the next day I had no desire to log in.  I leveled two toons to 30ish.

What I don't like about it:

It doesn't feel world-y.  Crafting sucks.  Gathering sucks.  The lack of world-y-ness bothers me more than the poorly thought out crafting and gathering.

What I do like about it:

Combat is fun. 

I got my money's worth from it.

(I'm back to WoW, leveling a pally of all things on Venture Co.  again.)

Falconeer
Terracotta Army

a polyamorous pansexual genderqueer born and living in the wrong country

Reply #113 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:49 AM

Of all things, that's the one I won't ever ever ever be able to understand. It has nothing to do with Conan. It has to do with humanity and the concept of fun. I am scared, you bodysnatchers.

P.S (EDIT): This is not in any way judgemental.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 07:21:51 AM by Falconeer »

Lakov_Sanite
Terracotta Army

Reply #114 on: June 30, 2008, 09:18:52 AM

Really falconeer?

You can accuse wow of a lot of things but people actually do you know, have fun playing it. We get it, you like age of conan, clearly you do because you make sure to repeat it with every post of how great this game everyone quit is. I mean, look at all the people in this thread alone and all their complaints and why they left. Now don't you think that maybe, just maybe this game isn't as good as you personally think it is? yes you love it but for fucks sake take a step back and pull your lips from funcoms teat here (nipplez lawl)

added: yes i know im always ragging on aoc myself but dammit it's more because i can't stand to see this kind of rampant fanboism about anything, at least not on forums i like.

~a horrific, dark simulacrum that glares balefully at us, with evil intent.
Mrbloodworth
Terracotta Army

Reply #115 on: June 30, 2008, 09:27:21 AM

Well, one thing is true, there is a lot of passion about the game. Love it or hate it, and IMHO, i don't think anyone hates it, they are just disappointed in some things, and the fact that the likes are more than dislikes, makes things that you don't like that much worse.

Today's How-To: Scrambling a Thread to the Point of Incoherence in Only One Post with MrBloodworth . - schild
www.mrbloodworthproductions.com  www.amuletsbymerlin.com
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #116 on: June 30, 2008, 09:47:45 AM

I tried to do Cistern with my guild on Saturday morning, and it totally killed my will to log in. First, getting a group was a pain in the ass. Then we start going, and even though my group was decently over leveled for the place, (Every one was low 50s Apped up to 55, with a 56 as tank. The mobs where level 50 and 51) and this place was ripping us apart. Even with 2 HoX, a Ranger, and Conq, the mobs died really slowly, and just seemed to have way to many HP. Each pull was more boring that doing "Tank and Spank" in WoW. The outside combat is so much more fast paced and fun, bit this "group" stuff is just boring. I was actually relieved when my computer crashed after about 45 minutes.

If this is what the level 80 PVE content is going to be like, then you can count me out.
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #117 on: June 30, 2008, 10:17:56 AM

No Lakov, you got me wrong (but it's my fault here).

I just can't understand how can people have fun on the same thing for such a long time. That's all.
I wish I could go back to the late 90s when UO took 3 straight years of my life.

Now, I am probably envious of people who can stick with something for that long. Let alone a PvE game with content limited by its own nature.

As I said, it has nothing to do with AoC or even WoW. As much as I am liking it I would be surprised to find myself still hooked with Conan 1 year from today, and if anything like that should happen you can be sure it would be thanks to PvP.

Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #118 on: June 30, 2008, 10:54:07 AM

I was never in Bat Country but I'm still playing.  I rerolled my 76 Assassin and made a Demonologist.  OOooooohhh BURN BURN I just run around BURNING things and screaming DIE IN A FIRE. 

Literally.

Fun.

I'm surprised Schild isn't a demo.
Lantyssa
Terracotta Army

Reply #119 on: June 30, 2008, 11:21:28 AM

Are you Lum's secret account?

Hahahaha!  I'm really good at this!
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #120 on: June 30, 2008, 11:28:39 AM

He's not the only pyro in the world.

burn?
Threash
Terracotta Army

Reply #121 on: June 30, 2008, 12:17:12 PM

Well now you can get half a level every five hours doing villas in Noble District so you don't have to grind out camps in the public areas, that's made things easier.  The only way you could get into the sixties without grinding is if you have a very set group and do all the group quests, including the ones in the resource areas.

Both sides have it right for the most part.  You CAN level without grinding if you hit every spot at the correct level and do all the quests, but doing higher level content is so easy most people end up skipping/missing large parts of the content.  Someone mentioned having run out of atzels quests at 66, i started doing them at 72 and still have plenty at 76.  The problem with this is also a lot of the quests arent even available at the lower level so not only do you "finish" a zone about ten levels before you were supposed to, but you actually miss parts of it.  The content is there, its just not on rails like it is on wow.

I am the .00000001428%
Draegan
Terracotta Army

Reply #122 on: June 30, 2008, 12:25:41 PM

If you do all the dungeons completely you can get through quickly as well.  I did Black Castle now finally itemized and complete the other day and got level 37 and 38 out of it.  Last time I played through these levels I skipped dungeons and ran out of quests at level 38 and moved to FoD.

Big Gulp
Terracotta Army

Reply #123 on: June 30, 2008, 12:47:42 PM

When I realized the quest grind was the same old thing, I canceled.

Bingo.  Slay 50 foozles?  Fuck you, I quit.

I think I'm done with the whole fantasy diku MUD thing.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #124 on: June 30, 2008, 12:53:52 PM

The thing I hate about f13 is I am always behind!  I have not really seen any active members in the last couple days.

No Nerf, but I put a link to this very thread and I said that you all can guarantee for my purity. I even mentioned your case, and see if they can take a look at your lawn from a Michigan perspective.
Xanthippe
Terracotta Army

Reply #125 on: June 30, 2008, 02:00:35 PM

Of all things, that's the one I won't ever ever ever be able to understand. It has nothing to do with Conan. It has to do with humanity and the concept of fun. I am scared, you bodysnatchers.

P.S (EDIT): This is not in any way judgemental.

I don't understand it either.  Especially the having fun leveling a pally part.  But I am, so there you go. 
Morfiend
Terracotta Army

wants a greif tittle

Reply #126 on: June 30, 2008, 02:02:47 PM

When I realized the quest grind was the same old thing, I canceled.

Bingo.  Slay 50 foozles?  Fuck you, I quit.

I think I'm done with the whole fantasy diku MUD thing.

I don't mind that so much, as long as the combat is fun and fast paced, which it is, even though they are trying to slow it down. But as soon as you start fighting group mobs, holy crap, boring. Its like wow with out the polish and cool dungeon design and balanced classes.
Tarami
Terracotta Army

Reply #127 on: June 30, 2008, 04:04:26 PM

Now, I am probably envious of people who can stick with something for that long. Let alone a PvE game with content limited by its own nature.
I think that evolves to half pity, half envy, because many of the people that are doing something that way for that long are no longer really enjoying themselves. Playing X is just what they do, who they are.

- I'm giving you this one for free.
- Nothing's free in the waterworld.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #128 on: June 30, 2008, 04:16:56 PM

I don't know what happened.  One day I was playing and the next day I had no desire to log in.  I leveled two toons to 30ish.

It doesn't feel world-y.  Crafting sucks.  Gathering sucks.  The lack of world-y-ness bothers me more than the poorly thought out crafting and gathering.

What I do like about it:

Combat is fun. 

If I start playing WoW again, I just know our periods will synchronise.

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
trias_e
Terracotta Army

Reply #129 on: June 30, 2008, 05:54:53 PM

What I do like about it:

Combat is fun.

This is pretty much my experience as well.  Minus the going back to WoW part.  *shudders*

This should have just been a single player game.  Everything MMO-y about this game brings it down...while the actual gameplay is refreshingly good.   Anyways, not a hard decision at all to cancel for me at this point, and I highly doubt I'll play it again. 

Perhaps I've just outgrown MMORPGs at this point.
Xerapis
Contributor

Reply #130 on: July 01, 2008, 01:10:37 PM

You were receiving that error because your SMS had yet to be verified. I
have gone and done so. You are all set. Sorry for the inconvenience.

--
Best Regards,

GM Odum
Funcom Support

So, I just received this in my inbox as I got to work this morning.  I'll check during my afternoon break to see if they actually did fix it this time.  Since apparently this was the original problem that I was told was fixed but wasn't.  Shit shit shitty CS.  Not a good beginning. 

..I want to see gamma rays. I want to hear x-rays. I want to...smell dark matter...and feel the solar wind of a supernova flowing over me...
photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #131 on: July 02, 2008, 12:03:17 PM

Two very interesting surveys that seems more credible than Funcoms latest 700k whatwasitagain and shows the progression from launch to today.

Warning : Pics are HUGE.

http://fc05.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/184/f/6/nvm_by_mrhenrik.jpg

http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs26/f/2008/184/7/b/aoc_stuff_again_by_mrhenrik.jpg

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
rattran

Unreasonable

Reply #132 on: July 02, 2008, 06:35:46 PM

Sadly I think I'm done with AoC. Great potential, but too many bugs, and their patches don't seem to improve the game as much as switch the broken around a bit.

The combat is fun, but that's it. Everything else is pretty standard mmo/done better elsewhere. Clunky chat interface. If all I wanted out of a game was exciting combat I'd play a fps.
Signe
Terracotta Army

Muse.

Reply #133 on: July 03, 2008, 05:49:51 PM

I was never able to resolve my crashing after that one patch and I never received an answer to my petitions or my emails asking them to answer my petition. 

My Sig Image: hath rid itself of this mortal coil.
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #134 on: July 03, 2008, 07:13:59 PM

Sub cancelled.  Too many issues to list here - I challenge someone from Funcom to contact Schild or Trippy to form a focus group to discuss these issues. Won't happen, our corner of the net is stuck with Stormwaltz and Mahrin. 

edit.  This game should have had 500k-1 million subs.  In 2 months it will be lucky to hold 100k or less.

photek
Terracotta Army

Reply #135 on: July 03, 2008, 07:31:24 PM

edit.  This game should have had 500k-1 million subs.  In 2 months it will be lucky to hold 100k or less.

Yes. And this is what I anticipated also unfortunately. Hate when pessimistic goals are met!

"I recently went to a new doctor and noticed he was located in something called the Professional Building. I felt better right away"
Cheddar
I like pink

Noob Sauce

Reply #136 on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:07 PM

Yes. And this is what I anticipated also unfortunately. Hate when pessimistic goals are met!

My actual prediction was 20k, but I tend to lean towards the positive.  After my few week jaunt my pessimist out look may be more correct, though after playing I honesty hope I was not right.  It (AOC) was close to the win. 

rk47
Terracotta Army

The Patron Saint of Radicalthons

Reply #137 on: July 03, 2008, 09:54:46 PM

too expensive. all imported copies in Singapore. I'm not paying 30% more just to play a diku with tits and ass.
Come to think of it they need a hentai MMO where you collect 10 wolf tails for a nice nookie with cat girls.

Colonel Sanders is back in my wallet
Falconeer
Terracotta Army

Reply #138 on: July 03, 2008, 10:45:38 PM

People.
This DIKU has great PvP. It's just that fun to fight people thanks to the quick pace, collision detection, the way heals work and the importance of positioning.
That will be the subscription backbone of AoC and will start the buzz as soon as they start roll out PvP content, levels and experience.
Many of the quitters didn't even like/try PvP at all, which is a waste because there is so much fun to be had there as long as you are into fighting other people, and because Conan is so much about it.

And no Lakov, this is not my "This is great you stoopid can't see the light!". While I agree on the issues, and why there can be so many reasons to not appreciate a game, especially a bugged one, I think there's a strong aspect of the game that is being overlooked by many (many <> all). And that feels like not playing a good portion of what said game is about.
It's not like playing Countr-strike for the PvE element or the quests but that's closer than you think. And It was 100% fail to not have incentives for PvP (especially on PvE servers) at launch.

Oban
Terracotta Army

Reply #139 on: July 04, 2008, 06:03:52 AM

Come to think of it they need a hentai MMO where you collect 10 wolf tails for a nice nookie with cat girls.

Ah, you were not aware of : http://www.bastard-online.jp/

Palin 2012 : Let's go out with a bang!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Go Up Print 
f13.net  |  f13.net General Forums  |  The Gaming Graveyard  |  Age of Conan  |  Topic: Why aren't you playing?  
Jump to: